Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I didn't think it was a good sign that the oil consumption test was free from the dealership. Hopefully my car will be covered under this lawsuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

crazzy posted:

Eh, not so much a technology problem as a price tag problem. Focus RS engine has a HPFP on it enabling better lean burn and fuel atomization (while still hitting emissions targets). Subaru bean counters are notoriously cheap and I can't see them shelling out the couple extra hundred per engine for what the HPFP system costs (pump, hardware, fancier injectors, stronger rails for 2000+ PSI)

Tis a shame the Focus RS engine family is so god damned vibratey, its one of the many reasons why my wife wound up getting rid of her mazdaspeed 3.

While the engines are not exactly the same (they seem to have changed everything by a tiny amount just so the mazda parts won't fit), they are from the same family and the same basic architecture issues are still present, awesome power and highway fuel economy, but vibrates so bad, just like you were living in a paint can shaker :(

Super soft hydraulic engine mounts from the factory hides most of it, but then can make shifting a pain, and stiffer mounts to fix the shifting and wheel hop only brings out the paint can shaker of DOOOOOM!!!!

That's fair. They could do it, but it would significantly raise the cost of the car.

I pinged my son on the Oil consumption test. It's 10.3 ounces (1/3 of a quart) over 1200 miles. You can do it yourself by doing an oil change, take a picture of where the oil is on the dipstick three times (check it 3 times and take 3 pictures), drive 1200 miles, then check it 3 time again (take pictures). Make sure the car is at the same state for both tests . Park it on a level surface after driving a few miles, wait 10 minutes, etc.

Most cars pass the test, very few fail.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Re oil consumption: When I was looking at Outbacks early last year I read about this issue. While it seemed like there were many people who had this issue, I realized that people are more likely to use the internet to voice their frustrations than to voice their satisfaction.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just put a Curt tow hitch on my 16 WRX. It took me 4.5 hours and was a colossal pain in the rear end, especially when having to fish the spacer and bolts through the frame of the car.

Anyway, I finally got everything back, but after putting the hitch on and lifting the exhaust back up, I can't for the life of me get the 2 rubber muffler exhaust hangers reattached (the ones right next to the spare tire pan) because A) the rod is way too long to stretch the hanger back over and B) the hitch is just plain in the way of getting more than like 4 fingers up there and no tools. After dicking with it for a half hour, I just said gently caress it and called it a day. The other 2 muffler hangers (the ones near the outside of the car) were reattached with no problem.

Should I be ok without having those 2 hangers attached? It seems pretty secure since the other 2 plus the one on the center pipe are on. I really don't see how it's possible to reattach those 2 fuckers.

e:

This is the rod that I can't get the hanger to stretch back over after the exhaust is lifted back up. I thought about just hack sawing an inch or two off.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 17, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
hello subaru friends!

As you may or may not know I own this;

It is a 2001 AU market Legacy/Liberty B4 (EJ208D twin turbo motor). You may know it from one of my threads

Blatant excuse to post a photo of my car aside, I would like to ask for some help with a few stupid questions.

I have a loud sort of droning whine coming from somewhere in the drivetrain; it appears at just under 60km/h (~35mph) and goes away above 80km/h (~50mph). Pitch varies with speed. It also only happens while on-throttle, while coasting or braking it's not present.
I'm having some trouble identifying where it's coming from; Dad thinks it's coming from the rear which immediately screams diff whine, but to me it sounds like it's coming from the front end of the car and a couple people driving along next to me agree with that (though they're not sure either).

It's a 5MT with an open front diff and an LSD center/rear. The transmission (and thus center/front diff) oil was supposedly changed out about a year and 500 miles ago with the proper recommended synthetic stuff (the level, at least, is correct, and the fluid looks clean), but I have no clue as to the condition of the rear diff.

My question is, is there something else that fits this profile other than diff whine of some kind? I don't expect you to come up with anything but figured it couldn't hurt to ask before I go spending another $100 on new trans/diff oil and spend an hour+ under the car draining/filling.

2nd question: in a similar vein, I have a sort of wooshing, bearing-y sound coming from the front end of the car when I am coasting (goes away on-throttle and under braking). Again, this seems fairly obviously to be front wheel bearings, but I wanted to ask in case there's something else I'm missing that fits the profile.

I was planning to come here with recordings of the noises but I don't appear to have a sufficiently decent microphone with which to record them. The sound I think is diff whine is actually really quite loud.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 17, 2016

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Put a 3 port boost solenoid and dump pipe on my specb gt wagon and holy poo poo has it woken up after a tune. Predictably, he bagged the standard tune, but he knew his poo poo and gives free retunes for life. Feels like the poor man s4 avant i always wanted.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

literally a fish posted:

hello subaru friends!

I have a loud sort of droning whine coming from somewhere in the drivetrain; it appears at just under 60km/h (~35mph) and goes away above 80km/h (~50mph). Pitch varies with speed. It also only happens while on-throttle, while coasting or braking it's not present.
I'm having some trouble identifying where it's coming from; Dad thinks it's coming from the rear which immediately screams diff whine, but to me it sounds like it's coming from the front end of the car and a couple people driving along next to me agree with that (though they're not sure either).

I did up a post in this thread a while back detailing how I fixed this noise in my 04 Impreza, the culprit is worn roller bearings in the center differential. They receive insufficient lubrication from factory design. I'll try to link it here but I'm on the Awful mobile app and I dunno if I can link posts.

Edit: wow that was easy

Edit not so easy attempt #2 http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2973186&pagenumber=613&perpage=40#post450512127

stevobob fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 17, 2016

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
About 400 miles ago I did the brakes on my 04 wrx wagon. New centric rotors and stoptech pads from rock auto. Now my rear drivers side rotor has some scoring/grooves. Enough to catch a fingernail on, but pretty minor. Any idea if this is caused by debris under the pad, pad issues, or installation error? They showed up pretty abruptly.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

stevobob posted:

I did up a post in this thread a while back detailing how I fixed this noise in my 04 Impreza, the culprit is worn roller bearings in the center differential. They receive insufficient lubrication from factory design. I'll try to link it here but I'm on the Awful mobile app and I dunno if I can link posts.

Edit: wow that was easy

Edit not so easy attempt #2 http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2973186&pagenumber=613&perpage=40#post450512127

Having had a quick listen to your video, yep, that's the sound i'm hearing.

Oh gawd, I really don't want to gently caress transmission internals myself. Good to know I can DIY if I want to, though.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just put a Curt tow hitch on my 16 WRX. It took me 4.5 hours and was a colossal pain in the rear end, especially when having to fish the spacer and bolts through the frame of the car.

Anyway, I finally got everything back, but after putting the hitch on and lifting the exhaust back up, I can't for the life of me get the 2 rubber muffler exhaust hangers reattached (the ones right next to the spare tire pan) because A) the rod is way too long to stretch the hanger back over and B) the hitch is just plain in the way of getting more than like 4 fingers up there and no tools. After dicking with it for a half hour, I just said gently caress it and called it a day. The other 2 muffler hangers (the ones near the outside of the car) were reattached with no problem.

Should I be ok without having those 2 hangers attached? It seems pretty secure since the other 2 plus the one on the center pipe are on. I really don't see how it's possible to reattach those 2 fuckers.

e:

This is the rod that I can't get the hanger to stretch back over after the exhaust is lifted back up. I thought about just hack sawing an inch or two off.

I don't have an answer, but did you take the bumper off or have to drill any holes?

si
Apr 26, 2004

rod that I can't get the hanger to stretch back over after the exhaust is lifted back up. I thought about just hack sawing an inch or two off.

Take the hanger off, put long rod through, lift up, attach to small rod. Those hangers are flexible and you do sometimes need to stretch the poo poo outta em and lube them up to get them on. Cold weather will not help at all I'm afraid.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

I don't have an answer, but did you take the bumper off or have to drill any holes?

No I didn't have to take the bumper off. If you install the Eco hitch, you do. As for hole drilling, I only had to widen a hole on each side of the frame to fit the spacer and bolt through. That was a pain in the dick because I don't have an air compressor or a die grinder. I ended up using a dremel of all things and wearing out 6-8 tips. Eventually I got it wide enough to fish the parts through.

si posted:

Take the hanger off, put long rod through, lift up, attach to small rod. Those hangers are flexible and you do sometimes need to stretch the poo poo outta em and lube them up to get them on. Cold weather will not help at all I'm afraid.

So you mean attach the hangar to the muffler with the long rod first THEN attach it to the rod on the frame of the car? That makes more sense actually, although the hitch makes it nearly impossible to get more than a few fingers (no tools) up in there. I'll give it a shot though.

I did notice that while the exhaust is fine using only the 3 hangers, it has some side to side movement and rattles up against the hitch, so I do have to attach them all.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I installed a Curt on my 2008 wagon and gently caress drilling and all that noise, I pulled the bumper because it's way easier and doesn't breach the anti-corrosion stuff on the steel, such as it is. I ended up using a little dish soap on the rubbers to slide them back on. Using a nice long handled screwdriver didn't hurt either.

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
I found it was much easier to maneuver the exhaust hangers after a liberal coating of aerosol grease of your favorite flavor. Makes them much easier to slide around and you need less fingers to maneuver.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
How can you get fingers in there and not a muffler hanger tool?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Every time I get a twinge of "maybe I can get by with a sedan", another person pops into this thread with hitch install stories that set me back on the right track.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, I used some lubricant to pull them off easier.

Splizwarf posted:

I did use this to get them off:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012S9A5U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

It doesn't help much getting them back on, especially when there's a hitch in the way.

jailbait#3
Aug 25, 2000
forum veteran

si posted:

Silicone spray makes it seem like magic, especially after you've spent 15 minutes trying to wrestle rusty metal into stiff rubber.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
The pliers really only work for removal. Hook on a stick lets you put the hook through on of the unused holes in the rubber and yank it up the shaft. :bigtran:

Also silicone lube is god in this scenario. Lube everything all the time.

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
Hose them down for reinstall, it made maneuvering everything so much easier.

si
Apr 26, 2004

So you mean attach the hangar to the muffler with the long rod first THEN attach it to the rod on the frame of the car? That makes more sense actually, although the hitch makes it nearly impossible to get more than a few fingers (no tools) up in there. I'll give it a shot though.

I did notice that while the exhaust is fine using only the 3 hangers, it has some side to side movement and rattles up against the hitch, so I do have to attach them all.

Yes, you'll need them all. You might want to take a tub of hot water and soak them in it to keep them warm until you do it. Other option is fully unbolt the axlebacks, get them onto the hangars, then bolt them back up. Basically make the hardest connections first, easiest last. The hanger connections tend to be the hardest, so easier to do before it's all bolted up.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

I think I could fanagle this up through the hitch. What is the name of this? Muffler hanger tool only pops up tools like the one I posted/used.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Autozone:

OEM/Exhaust donut stretcher with offset J-hook
Part Number: 25543

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thanks! Just picked one up.

perabyte
Apr 2, 2005

Angry
Saw this on my facebook feed and I let out a chuckle.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
Doesn't look like it's out of control :colbert:

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler
I'm kicking around the idea of selling my '04 FXT.

As much as I love that drat car, it's not really meeting my needs anymore. I bought a house a few months back and have a few projects that require a truck to haul poo poo. If it were just that, I'd pick up a cheap utility trailer or rent one when I need it, but I do a lot of camping and my wife's Pathfinder can only hold so much stuff while towing a camper.

Anyway, my question for you all really is how much I can expect get when/if I sell the FXT? It's a manual with ~113,000 miles on it. Mechanically, there's not a drat thing wrong with it. I've done the maintenance (including the dreaded timing belt) and kept on top of any problems. The body, however is...well it looks like a 13 year old car. The clear coat on the hood and the roof rails is starting to go and there's a decent dent in the liftgate, as well as the usual scratches and poo poo one would expect for a 13 year old car. There's no body or frame rust though, as it's been in the southern US its whole life. Interior is in real good shape. It's completely stock. There's a couple of cosmetic things I'd fix as well as a really good cleaning job before trying to sell it (e.g. the rusty wiper arms).

Here's a few (lovely) pictures of the car as it sits now:

Most of the examples I found on craigslists have been modified or seem ridiculous, and there aren't many out there to compare it to. I'm open to suggestions!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

DAT RAM posted:

I'm kicking around the idea of selling my '04 FXT.

As much as I love that drat car, it's not really meeting my needs anymore. I bought a house a few months back and have a few projects that require a truck to haul poo poo. If it were just that, I'd pick up a cheap utility trailer or rent one when I need it, but I do a lot of camping and my wife's Pathfinder can only hold so much stuff while towing a camper.

Anyway, my question for you all really is how much I can expect get when/if I sell the FXT? It's a manual with ~113,000 miles on it. Mechanically, there's not a drat thing wrong with it. I've done the maintenance (including the dreaded timing belt) and kept on top of any problems. The body, however is...well it looks like a 13 year old car. The clear coat on the hood and the roof rails is starting to go and there's a decent dent in the liftgate, as well as the usual scratches and poo poo one would expect for a 13 year old car. There's no body or frame rust though, as it's been in the southern US its whole life. Interior is in real good shape. It's completely stock. There's a couple of cosmetic things I'd fix as well as a really good cleaning job before trying to sell it (e.g. the rusty wiper arms).

Here's a few (lovely) pictures of the car as it sits now:

Most of the examples I found on craigslists have been modified or seem ridiculous, and there aren't many out there to compare it to. I'm open to suggestions!

Subaru nutters will pay top dollar for your car. I'd guess around 8-10k easily. I'd probably start it at 12k and see what offers you get.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

The idler pulley bearing failed on my sister's '00 ll bean outback and she wants to also replace the bracket because it's looking pretty beat. That's the power steering pump bracket no. 22870AA042, right?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Is no one selling their WRX wagons/hatches? We are starting to consider selling our 04 but searches for any wrxs in the DC area show very little. Are owners not selling because Subaru is not making any more?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Are owners not selling because Subaru is not making any more?

Bingo. I would have traded my '11 in on a new gen by now if I could get a hatch. But I'm holding on to it until I can get something comparable.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Larrymer posted:

Subaru nutters will pay top dollar for your car. I'd guess around 8-10k easily. I'd probably start it at 12k and see what offers you get.

That seems very realistic to me. I was looking for a manual WRX wagon, FXT, or LGT wagon a while back and searched for about 6 months. A good FXT with a manual with less than 130,000 would bring at least 9k all day long. I test drove an 07 with 135 and wound up passing on it, but the seller would not budge from 10k.

Post some pictures of it all cleaned up on CL and tumescent weirdos like me will flock to it from all over the place with cash in hand.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Make sure you mention that you didn't do any mods.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler
Thanks all. Once tax returns start coming in I'll probably go ahead and list it since people gonna have that money burning a hole in their pockets.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

My WRX is lowered on Prodrive springs. Does this affect which struts I should be using? The car's got 90k miles on it and as far as I know they're the stock struts, should I be thinking about replacing them in the near future?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Fifty Three posted:

My WRX is lowered on Prodrive springs. Does this affect which struts I should be using? The car's got 90k miles on it and as far as I know they're the stock struts, should I be thinking about replacing them in the near future?
Replace them yesterday, they're almost certainly done.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Fifty Three posted:

Yup. Stock struts aren't really designed for lowering springs. I'd get something else that is.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
There are a few decent options you assuming it's an 02-07 sedan. After having some issues and going away for awhile, Tokico has two struts available- HP blues and d-specs, and then there are konis and the kyb agx. I think agx or blues would be the best value at under $150 a piece. d-specs are like $900 a set. I can get you more accurate numbers if you want.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 27, 2016

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I'm at about 84k miles on the factory struts. Ride's nice and pillowy soft. When do I know they're dying? When a bump sends me up and down continuously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
What are the brake pads everyone recommends? StopTech?

This is for a 2013 WRX FWIW.