Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Hencoe posted:

Also, fun fact: the ordinatus cannot be legally deployed straight on in dawn of war, it's 13.5" long.

how'd you know what i called my dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Hencoe posted:

I mean poo poo, they PDF'd the legion castellax in their FAQ so it's the same as the Admech red book, if anything gets changed I think they would put it out.
Also, fun fact: the ordinatus cannot be legally deployed straight on in dawn of war, it's 13.5" long.

Who the hell plays straight up dawn of war in 4k points.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

how'd you know what i called my dick

Because of its other name, "Unused"

DJ Dizzy posted:

Who the hell plays straight up dawn of war in 4k points.

I have no idea, that would be crowded as poo poo. buddy of mine pointed out that it looked too big for that deployment type so I measured it.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hencoe posted:

:vd:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Hencoe posted:

:mediocre:

CasualSalmon
Jan 21, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BULBASAUR posted:

I can't decide if I should sell my LACAL book or not. If they release an updated one mine will turn into a paperweight, but :effort: Already flipped my Isstavan legion book so I'm good there.

Yo. Wanna help me better understand actually playing the game?

I need a boot camp...let's do that whole social media thing.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Hencoe posted:

I have no idea, that would be crowded as poo poo. buddy of mine pointed out that it looked too big for that deployment type so I measured it.

Remember that deployment zones are measured outwards from the table's center line - you end up with a 24" no-man's land along the center line and the rest is deployument zone. With 4K points you very likely have a table that's quite a bit bigger than the standard 4x6 and thus a bigger deployment zone.

That being said, it would make it hilarious if some WAAC idiot tried to cram an Ordinatus into a low-point game and someone pointed out it's literally too big to fit..

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
God dammit, somehow got duped into Dark Angels after drinking with bulbasaur last night. Worked on a test model today and my body is ready for all black everything and terrible legion rules.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Then have corswain be a one man man-blender, I wouldn't be surprised if one of their legion units is just a bunch of knightbros with swords made from some bullshit so they are all paragon blades. *with monster hunter

And have the chosen warrior rule.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

tallkidwithglasses posted:

God dammit, somehow got duped into Dark Angels after drinking with bulbasaur last night. Worked on a test model today and my body is ready for all black everything and terrible legion rules.

You and me both, pal. :shepface::hf::shepface:

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

Welcome to the fold soon to be disappointed with rules DAngel bro. I have been trying to bang out a quick 850pts for an upcoming event, really not looking forward to edge highlighting all this.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
tallkidwithglasses is a cool dude IRL and I recommend drinking beers with him

CasualSalmon posted:

Yo. Wanna help me better understand actually playing the game?

I need a boot camp...let's do that whole social media thing.

I hit you up. Looks like we at least 3 people in the area not counting the 4 people from Portland. Northwest 30k league is growing!

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I hate myself enough that maybe I AM a dark angel

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You keep that up and you'll become an 100% certified Iron Warrior player

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

He needs to start hating everything he does first.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Did a test model for my emperors children colors. I've got some practice to get back in on, or an airbrush purchase to prioritize.

Can't make that drat white look smooth, even after 5 coats of milky thin paint.

Also, waiting on my windsor newtons to come in. Getting real tired of crappy synthetic brush tips bending.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Here's my scheme. Subsequent duders will be cleaner because now I ostensibly know what I'm doing. This guy will do fine dying en masse with 19 of his buddies.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

koreban posted:

Can't make that drat white look smooth, even after 5 coats of milky thin paint.

Did you base coat white? Base white, and use P3 white. My son plays EC and it works like a charm.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

OhDearGodNo posted:

Did you base coat white? Base white, and use P3 white. My son plays EC and it works like a charm.

p3 Menoth Base and Game Color Dead White. I'll check out p3's white.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Here's my scheme. Subsequent duders will be cleaner because now I ostensibly know what I'm doing. This guy will do fine dying en masse with 19 of his buddies.

You need to learn to paint within the lines and thinning you paints before you try do things like edge highlighting. If you just undercoat the model black, hit it with a thinned coat of black paint so you have a nice even finish. Then focus on painting everything neatly, go back and touch up with black on any mistakes you make and you will have a much nicer miniature then what you have now. Learn to walk before you run.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

koreban posted:

p3 Menoth Base and Game Color Dead White. I'll check out p3's white.

Just checked. He uses Morrow white and GW Lahmian medium, 50/50 mix. Between 8-10 coats.

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 25, 2016

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Big Willy Style posted:

You need to learn to paint within the lines and thinning you paints before you try do things like edge highlighting. If you just undercoat the model black, hit it with a thinned coat of black paint so you have a nice even finish. Then focus on painting everything neatly, go back and touch up with black on any mistakes you make and you will have a much nicer miniature then what you have now. Learn to walk before you run.

As someone who has literally never painted a model before, thanks for your advice. I just tried it on a new model and I think it came out ok

Thank you so much for letting me know what techniques I'm allowed to use, I'll make sure not to try anything in the future.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

Sorry, this is what I should have posted:

This is great, you should enter it in golden demon you will win for sure. Mad jealous of your skills

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

BULBASAUR posted:

You keep that up and you'll become an 100% certified Iron Warrior player

I really want to not do Iron Warriors but it feels weird to actually like the rules and poo poo, at least with IW I feel comfortable with the self-loathing

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Big Willy Style posted:

Sorry, this is what I should have posted:

This is great, you should enter it in golden demon you will win for sure. Mad jealous of your skills

Dude, I know my dark angel is rough. I painted it a couple different ways today before landing on colors I'm happy with, and it will look fine in a big unit on a tabletop. I get that were lovely goons to each other or whatever but you came at it with a pretty insane level of condescension. People wonder why the forums are dying etc etc.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

I gave some pretty constructive criticism and wasn't trying to make you feel like poo poo. On your rat man the paint is also thick and you haven't painted within the lines as well so your post didn't invalidate my criticism, but in fact proved it to be on point

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The new armless sculpts are out. Some of the kits look fine, but you can tell they are trying really hard to make them work for a few of the MKs:

Bonus rushed paint job:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Confirmed to be on sale @ the Weekender

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Mango Polo posted:

Confirmed to be on sale @ the Weekender

What's supposed to be in this one?

Also if you can't handle people critiquing your mans don't post your mans. SA is one of the only places on the internet where people will offer real criticism of your poo poo and not just tell you how good at painting you are

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Buncha stuff.
- Knight-Errant rules. Garro and his brosefs.
- Shattered Legions army.
- Black Shields army.
- Dark Mechanicus army.
- Legiones Astartes rules for Dark Angels, Blood Angels, White Scars. No units, just their unique LA rules and wargear.
- Thousand Sons and Space Wolves are specifically not in the book.
- 2 Rites of War for DA, BA, WS that don't rely on unique units. BA get an ultra-aggressive boarding RoW and an ultra-defensive one.
- 1 Rites of War for all existing legions... or at least for some of them. Kakophoni troops, Gal Vorbak troops, SoH gets to flex their stolen supplies, Iron Warriors shell themselves lol
- Some new units as usual like the Cortus Contemptor.

Should be a pretty bitchin' book for everyone, what with an expected 30-ish new RoWs.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 25, 2016

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Mango Polo posted:

Kakophoni troops

This makes me happy - I've been picking up random noise marine weapons just in case.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Grabbed Calth over the weekend and decided to paint the models up as Word Bearers because red was always challenging for me to paint over black primer. I was going for a medium red with a couple of extreme light highlights in places to make them look a bit glossy.

So far I've painted up 2 tactical marines and the contemptor dread, quite pleased with the end result.

Might try the Terminator Captain guy next.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Calth box owns and those dudes look dope but man the pose on the Calth Potato Dread is so terrible (not your fault, I know, just the way it's modelled).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It it possible to re-pose that thing? A slight forward lean would look more aggressive, but then it would also look like it's pooping.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
The legs are all one piece, so out of the box you're stuck with the extremely upright pose. They look easy enough to cut and re-position, but I haven't tried it yet.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Looking at the sprues, it'll probably be about as hard to repose as the Imperial Knight - more effort than you'd wish, and probably easy to screw up.

Scowny
Jul 11, 2006

Nice guy, that Kharne
I've finished my first Alpha Legionnaire model, first time using cork for basing, think it's turned out alright?

Not really had much practice painting for a long time, so tips would be appreciated. Also, has anyone got tips for Alpha Legion lists? I've got a 1000 points for Zone Mortalis that basically is the Calth box, not sure if it's any good?

+++ Alpha Legion Zone Mortalis (1000pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List ((Zone Mortalis) Combatant) (1000pts) ++

+ HQ (125pts) +

Autilon Skorr (125pts)
··Delegatus [Master of the Legion]

+ Elites (180pts) +

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought (180pts) [Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons (25pts)]

+ Troops (395pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (240pts) [14x Legion Tactical Space Marines (140pts), Legion Vexilla (10pts)]
··Legion Tactical Sergeant (30pts) [Artificer Armour (10pts), Power Dagger (5pts), Power Fist (15pts)]

Legion Tactical Squad (155pts) [9x Legion Tactical Space Marines (90pts)]
··Legion Tactical Sergeant (5pts) [Melta Bombs (5pts)]

+ Fast Attack (300pts) +

Headhunter Kill Teams (300pts) [8x Headhunter (200pts)]
··Headhunter Prime (25pts) [Artificer Armour (10pts), Power Fist (15pts)]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [XX: Alpha Legion]

Not used a RoW, it's meant to be a base for a 2000+ point list, otherwise I'd have used Veteran Tacticals and a RoW that makes them troops. The smaller Tactical Squad is gonna get dumped in a Rhino for objective grabbing outside of ZM/small games. I know Headhunters are pricey compared to Seekers, but the models for them are looking pretty amazing:

Germ
May 7, 2013

Like many of you goons I, also, recently tried out a test model. While I typically reckon myself a fairly decent painter, I feel like I'm back to Kindergarten here. Help!

I tried to use a deeper black than the charcoal I've been using on my Eldar, but it looks sloppy as hell to me. Is painting marines really just about that one fine edge highlight? Do I need to make it brighter? Neater, obviously.

Molecular bonding studs - what's a goon to do? Painted in the same black as the rest makes them disappear, but I fear white would make them look like polka-dot clowns. What's the middle ground? Metallic?

Backpack. Trying to figure out what colors to use where. As is, it looks like a hot mess.

Any other advice is appreciated. I want this army to go quickly, but I'm chagrined that I've been brought down by a lowly marine. I'm used to organics of Nurgle and the smooth curves of the Eldar. For some reason, this has got me really stumped.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Germ posted:

Like many of you goons I, also, recently tried out a test model. While I typically reckon myself a fairly decent painter, I feel like I'm back to Kindergarten here. Help!

I tried to use a deeper black than the charcoal I've been using on my Eldar, but it looks sloppy as hell to me. Is painting marines really just about that one fine edge highlight? Do I need to make it brighter? Neater, obviously.

Molecular bonding studs - what's a goon to do? Painted in the same black as the rest makes them disappear, but I fear white would make them look like polka-dot clowns. What's the middle ground? Metallic?

Backpack. Trying to figure out what colors to use where. As is, it looks like a hot mess.

Any other advice is appreciated. I want this army to go quickly, but I'm chagrined that I've been brought down by a lowly marine. I'm used to organics of Nurgle and the smooth curves of the Eldar. For some reason, this has got me really stumped.

Looks really good, especially as black is such a hard colour to pull off. Here's a few things you could try:

- I'd do the studs in your first highlight colour (maybe thinned a bit more) with a dot of unthinned at the very tip. If it looks too much, wash it with black afterwards.
- Backpack, I'd be tempted to do a very shiny metallic colour on the metals (almost chrome) to contrast nicely with the black.
- A couple of markings in red will stand out nicely too as it'll match the eye lenses. (Scripts, etc...)
- Try putting a much lighter grey dot/small line in the centre of you're current edge highlights for a nice "pop"
- "very" carefully wash a bit of watered down black in to those little lines on the beak so they stand out. This is scary on white as any spill will be a pain to clean up.

In terms of highlight's I've always done 2-3 different shades of edge highlighting, for me the process is something like: (incoming :words:)

- Prime black,
- Basecoat 2-3x thin coats of base colour (Mephiston above)
- Wash with a dark colour (on the red above I used Agrax).
- Black line the plates with an extremely thinned black. (Just water but make it ink like and paint it on carefully, and in crevices)
- Repaint the base colour leaving the wash and black lines visible around inside edges.
- Edge Highlight everything in a slightly lighter colour (Evil suns red I think I used)
- Edge Highlight inside the above with a much lighter colour. (Vallejo German Orange, its kind of like a very matte blazing orange)
- Add a couple of specular dots in key places (bone/off-white colour)

If I'm speed painting I'll prime white and skip a few steps.

- Prime white,
- Pre-shade everything with a black wash.
- 1 Very thin base coat leaving the shade showing through.
- Highlight with 2nd highlight colour.

For me it isn't until the second edge highlight colour that it starts to stand out, and you can probably skip the specular effect if you don't want them looking to shiny.

richyp fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germ
May 7, 2013

Awesome, much obliged! I'll try giving the next model a go with this in mind, so I can compare the two. Danke!