Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

hooah posted:

For the dads, when did you start feeling a connection or bond with your child?

For myself, I have to say it was immediate. Or to be more precise, during the first couple of hours after delivery. All of our kids were c-sections so there was a stretch of time when I was left alone holding the baby in a quiet room off to one side while my wife was being stitched up and taken through the varioius post-op routines. Nothing going on at all apart from me sitting in a chair keeping a completely new little body warm; a little microcosm where, for a while, there was a little one who only had me to look after him.

I've also worn them all extensively from birth and onwards. Elastic wraps, mei tais, etc. Having that warm little body pressed right up against mine for up to several hours each day probably didn't hurt anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
My partner felt bonded to our bub pretty much immediately, but, both of us started getting much more out of it after 6 months. At 8 months she suddenly became a little person, and it's pretty awesome how she learns new things every day.

When they start reaching for you, saying "mama" (or dad) and making it obvious they pretty much think you're the best thing ever (aside from big sister or the cat, depending on the day), it's easier. That, and when you're sleeping better!

I know thst for some, it takes longer. And that's ok! With my first, I was an exhausted single mother, and I hardly remember the first year. We really bonded more after that, when she was walking and starting to talk.

Edit: for advice beyond "it gets better":
Skin to skin contact, or wearing baby in a carrier, being as involved as possible, spending time alone with bub, and (if you can) alone with your partner too. If she's breastfeeding you might not have had much of a chance to feed the baby - see if she might like to pump so you can take over a feeding.

Kudos also on getting counseling. Probably one of the best things to do! It sounds like you're trying hard to be a great dad, so I bet you're doing a great job.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jan 24, 2016

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
My husband and brother both said that they felt more attached to their respective offspring when they became more interactive, probably about 7 or 8 months. Certainly in the first few months my husband felt a sense of what, ownership and protectiveness? (that's probably the wrong words for what I'm trying to express) but didn't really get much out of playing with them or anything. But when they got older and laughed at his silly face and he could throw them about then it was more fun.

My sister in law said that she felt a bit like that too, so it's not necessarily just a dad thing, people all take to parenting differently and the life you are leaving behind has an impact too.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Thanks for the encouragement, folks. She's started to laugh a little, which is pretty endearing, and I am looking forward to when she's even more interactive.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

Slo-Tek posted:

So, what do y'all reckon about sneaking computer after bedtime? My eldest aged 11 gets busted not quite once a week for sneaking back out of bed to play web browser games after lights out. We have locked down all the portable computers with passwords, and I guess computers in the public areas are next (possibly with internet lockouts after the dinner hour to make it not worth stealing anyway).

As it stands now, we don't play computer games during the week, because we have homework, sports, extracurriculars, books, and family time. Weekend is unstructured, if we've got nothing else going on (and they haven't gotten busted for stealing computer earlier in the week) then you can watch minecraft videos and play clicky-games till their eyeballs melt.

As it stands, getting busted during the week costs you at least a day of computer on the weekend, but from the evidence, that isn't sufficient deterrent. I kind of don't want to lock the computers down so much they aren't worth stealing because a) that is a pain in my rear end if I have to have password locks on everything, and b) want the kid to have some practice not stealing things that he wants, even if they are worth stealing.

Explained plenty of times that he is in a world less trouble, and his weekend is much less disrupted if he get busted with books past lights-out than if I get up to pee and find his rear end frantically shutting down the living room computer at 11:30 on a weeknight.

I used to go to serious devious length to play Ultima III on the family apple IIe when I was a sprout, and I can't remember if anything anybody did dissuaded me from it.

Anybody else have any thoughts/recollections/suggestions?

A few thoughts. Children need to learn how to self-regulate and right now you are doing all of the regulating for your child. At age 11, he is capable of having a bigger role in this. Honestly, I would consider a complete redo of your media rules. We did this with my nephew after I read a really compelling argument from an expert on why us setting the limit was not helping him learn how to integrate media into his life in a sustainable, healthy way. We had a big talk and I explained I had learned new information and so we were going to change our policies (which also teaches the importance of having an open mind!). We talked about how easy media can take over our lives and keep us from taking care of our responsibilities and missing out on lots of other really fun and valuable experiences. We talked about how to fit it in our lives in a healthy manner. Then we did a breakdown of his schedule and what he wanted to accomplish each day and figured out how much free time for video games was actually possible and then it became his responsibility to manage. He realized that there was one night where it just wasn't possible, but on other school nights, if he managed his time wisely he could have up to an hour of video game time. Rather than us focusing on saying no more screens, we asked if he had completed his other activities. He needed more structure so I made a daily checklist and laminated it so he could use a white board marker to check off his daily activities which included homework, 1 hour active time, 30 minutes reading, chores and on weekends 1 hour of project time (any fun project he wanted to do). I have to say, it eliminated a lot of battle and took away that forbidden fruit factor so it was easier for him to walk away knowing that he could always come back to it. We did have a no screens in bedrooms rule and sleep time was sleep time.

Here's my favorite resource for kids and media health. These are some of the leaders in the field. I always learn a lot when I read the responses to the questions parents write in. http://cmch.tv/parents/askthemediatrician/

Also, you may want to consider how many activities your child is involved with. Kids really do need daily free time and being bored is actually quite good for them.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I'm not the stereotypical "tough guy" and I always loved kids, genuinely enjoy playing with them and everything. While I had an immediate bond to the baby and felt a deep love that I'm still not sure I comprehend, it wasn't until about 2 months old that I really thoroughly enjoyed having him in our life. His first real interaction (smiling and laughing) came around that time and that made it fun/interactive. The first couple of months it was just love and a feeling of needing to take care of and protect that small human. Now at almost 4 months it's much more than that and more importantly much more fun than that.

My girlfriend will often say that he's growing so fast, that she will miss the days when he was super small and everything and I can't feel that at all. To me, each day he grows older is simply better in every way. I have absolutely no desire to have a small baby any longer than is necessary.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Echoing others, once she started interacting with her world, it got a lot better. Up to that point, I was wondering if something was seriously wrong with me, because I wasn't bonding and I figured that as a parent you were supposed to feel an instant bond upon birth. I would constantly get chided for saying "it" instead of "she" because it felt like she was just a thing that slept and pooped.

Axiem posted:

With the now one-year-old, I don't feel as connected with him as I did with his older sister at the same age. It's probably harder with not-first-children. But we'll also see what happens when a) he can start talking and b) we have baby #3 (whenever that is).

This is a problem I'm having. I got to spend a lot of great alone time with #1, but I pretty much never get any alone time with #2. #2 is 19 months now, running around and starting to talk, and it's absolutely great, but #1 wants to have time with me too, so I'm constantly juggling them and that's not a great environment spending more than 30 seconds with one of them. When she naps, I can have some alone time with #1, so we still have a great bond.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

My son was 2.5 months premature. After the initial craziness of having a child born prematurely and once we knew his health was good I didn't really bond with him until we brought him home (around his original due date). I think it was a combination of only being able to visit him at the hospital and being scared of letting him in to much lest the worse happen. Once we had him home I fell in love and can't get enough time with him. It's been 6.5 months since he was born and we are best friends.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
If the baby is breastfed, there can be an extra close mother-baby connection that dad misses out on. I'm definitely attached with my baby, but I still get sad sometimes as to how much more she wants mom over me (10 months old).

My question: Our 10 month old is definite pain from teething (no teeth yet), and at nights she starts screaming something beyond her normal tired scream that really sounds like teething pain. We give her ibuprofen and it works and she seems to finally start going to sleep after it kicks in.

I know ibuprofen is pretty safe, I just feel bad giving it to her so regularly. In the past week it has probably been 4 or 5 nights out of 7. We don't just do it as a matter of course, we save for if it is clear that nothing else is helping and she is hurting. Is this normal to be doing it this much? It doesn't seem to be causing any of the common side effects.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Chin Strap posted:

If the baby is breastfed, there can be an extra close mother-baby connection that dad misses out on. I'm definitely attached with my baby, but I still get sad sometimes as to how much more she wants mom over me (10 months old).

It's not unusual for that to change when they get older. My son was really clingy to me and wouldn't calm down for anyone else when he was under a year but now he's older he regularly tells me that daddy is his favourite person and he loves daddy more than anyone else in the whole world :(

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Chin Strap posted:

My question: Our 10 month old is definite pain from teething (no teeth yet), and at nights she starts screaming something beyond her normal tired scream that really sounds like teething pain. We give her ibuprofen and it works and she seems to finally start going to sleep after it kicks in.

I know ibuprofen is pretty safe, I just feel bad giving it to her so regularly. In the past week it has probably been 4 or 5 nights out of 7. We don't just do it as a matter of course, we save for if it is clear that nothing else is helping and she is hurting. Is this normal to be doing it this much? It doesn't seem to be causing any of the common side effects.

Yes, teething is a bitch. There is no harm in giving her the recommended dose every night for a week.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Chin Strap posted:

Our family dentist and doctor both said there's nothing wrong with giving ibuprofen as often as needed. Good luck!

lorddazron
Mar 31, 2011

topenga posted:

There was mention (several times, I believe) of the baby boxes kick-rear end countries that aren't the USA give to parents of newborns. Welp! San Antonio, Tx in the grand old USA is giving it a shot.

http://www.kvue.com/story/news/local/2016/01/19/cardboard-baby-boxes-proposed-curb-infant-death/79017950/

Jeez. Reading that stuff about fluffy blankets makes me so glad im in the UK. I think in the 80s and early 90s there was a few SIDS deaths so the NHS went hardcore on prevention. Cant believe that in the USA there are areas considering putting babys in a box rather than just giving the relevant advice. Feet at the bottom of the crib, as much airflow as possible so light sheets only and keep the temp in the room about 18c.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Taking my first flight with my 2 year old in April, and am a bit nervous! What's the deal with car seats on planes? Should we buy one, and then use it on the plane, and then also in the rental car? Or should I bring one of our current car seats and have it checked in?

Any general tips would be greatly appreciated! This is in the US.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The vast majority of car seats are approved for airline use, no reason not to use your own. Some people hate checking them cause they fear the airline will manhandled it and cause it's safety rating to turn into poison, but you're keeping it with you the whole time. They'll also let you board first, bonus.

Really just you want as portable a seat as possible. Dionos are good cause they fold up and have a strap.

If your kid isn't too big and you can put him in one of the seats that clicks right into a stroller, that's going to make your trip through the airport a lot easier, you can just gate check the stroller.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
So anybody have any tips on socializing a gigantic 21 month old? Our little boy is over 40 pounds and comparatively tall, which makes him quite a bit bigger than kids his own age. But on the flip side, he's still a little guy and not as mentally developed as the kids his own size, which puts him in kind of an awkward size limbo.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

WTF BEES posted:

So anybody have any tips on socializing a gigantic 21 month old? Our little boy is over 40 pounds and comparatively tall, which makes him quite a bit bigger than kids his own age. But on the flip side, he's still a little guy and not as mentally developed as the kids his own size, which puts him in kind of an awkward size limbo.

Do you live in New Jersey? Cause you might be able to hustle some money.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

BoyBlunder posted:

Taking my first flight with my 2 year old in April, and am a bit nervous! What's the deal with car seats on planes? Should we buy one, and then use it on the plane, and then also in the rental car? Or should I bring one of our current car seats and have it checked in?

Any general tips would be greatly appreciated! This is in the US.
If you think he'll sleep on the plane, take the car seat on board. If not, check it. For me, I don't need one more thing to drag through the airport.

Depending on how often you'll be traveling, consider buying a car seat to ship direct to grandma/grandpa and then leave there. One of the all-in-one deals that goes from age 2 to 8, so you can re-use it every trip. For $60 (the #2 car seat on Amazon), I have a couple of them around the country.

WTF BEES posted:

I don't really have any tips, but I had this kid a few years ago, and even now at age 6 she towers over the other kids in her class (in both height and weight) and I think gets treated like she's mentally disabled sometimes because she acts like a kindergartener and looks like a 3rd grader. When people start to get quizzical, I just tell them how old she is, and either it clicks, or it doesn't and I just leave it alone.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

BoyBlunder posted:

Taking my first flight with my 2 year old in April, and am a bit nervous! What's the deal with car seats on planes?

I've taken a couple flights with car seats. I go on first before everyone and install the car seat while my wife lets the kids run around til just a few minutes before the doors close. My annoyance with car seats on planes is when you install them forward facing the airplane seat belt buckle is right in the small of their back. They also make it easier for little legs to reach the seat in front of them which allows them to kick the seat ahead the whole flight.

It's not to difficult to take a car seat on the plane. I just have my son walk in front of me down the aisle and use a cosco scenera which is super light held up over my head while walking down the airplane aisle. Car seats have to be installed in the window seat per FAA regulations is what the flight attendants tell me when I put it in.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

We used a car seat when flying and while it was fine when our kids were younger, by age two we felt it was more problem than it was worth. The seat takes up a lot of real estate, and means that your kid only has the seat to move around in (short of running up and down the aisles, that is). Without the seat installed, a standard airline seat gives a 2 year old enough space to wiggle around and change position, even curl up in childs pose or spread out some toys/books/etc for entertainment. The carseat made him feel much more restricted and limited. We ended up not using it on the flight back and had a better time overall. If you think that they might sleep through most of the trip it might be fine, or if your kid is well acclimatized to being in the seat. Our trip was over 8 hours and our son had not been in a carseat very often prior to that, and never for more than maybe 30 minutes at a time.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
A car seat on a plane is good up until somewhere between 12-18 months old. Then it does get restrictive.

This is based on flying with my son at 6 months old (w/o carseat) and then again at 18 (w/ carseat) and 19 months (w/o carseat).

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

We took the carseat on when flying with my 27 month old. It sucked lugging it down the plane aisles but it was super great to be able to strap him in so he couldn't go anywhere. The plane seatbelt would not have contained him.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Yeah, my two year old would've pitched a fit if I'd tried restraining her to a car seat for an entire flight. But as with everything else, it depends on your kid - mine is really fidgety, so being restrained firmly bugs the poo poo out of her. She accepts the seat belt in the plane, because it gives her room to wiggle and squirm a bit (she thinks the "seatbelt off"-sign means "ipads on" :v:).
And I'm very happy to not have to lug it around - I'd actually never heard of taking car seats on planes before this thread, I've never seen it and I've never used it myself.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Sockmuppet posted:

I'd actually never heard of taking car seats on planes before this thread, I've never seen it and I've never used it myself.

^ This. The first time we flew with our son (he was 4 months old) we asked the airline if we had to bring a carseat and they said "Nooooo". Never actually seen a carseat on a plane either.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
When I asked about taking a child in arms and stowing the car seat about a year and a half ago the whole thread chewed me out!

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

greatn posted:

When I asked about taking a child in arms and stowing the car seat about a year and a half ago the whole thread chewed me out!

That happened to me when I said I had plans to teach my kid about Stranger Danger. There's a reason I don't post in here unless I'm desperate.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

greatn posted:

Yeah, I remember that, that was when I first heard about carseats on planes - I basically figured that the odds of sudden turbulence so severe that my kid hit the ceiling, were lower than the odds of someone trying to open the doors in mid-flight to escape her screaming if I tried strapping her down through an entire flight.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Sockmuppet posted:

Yeah, I remember that, that was when I first heard about carseats on planes - I basically figured that the odds of sudden turbulence so severe that my kid hit the ceiling, were lower than the odds of someone trying to open the doors in mid-flight to escape her screaming if I tried strapping her down through an entire flight.

Honestly, we don't fly that much, but two of the four times I've had a lap infant, we have hit such severe turbulence that I've felt horrible holding him. The last time, I had to cling to him as he writhed and screamed and I was seriously concerned I wouldn't be able to hold onto him because the turbulence was that bad. We will never fly without a car seat again (until they can be properly belted in). We don't have our kids sit in their car seats for the entire trip if they're upset, but if the seatbelt sign comes on due to turbulence? In they go. (Car seats also protect against runway accidents, for what that's worth.)

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Ok, so a few weeks ago the thread helped me with my in-laws situation. TLDR - they were major assholes when I brought my three little kids to their home on Christmas Day and it was the straw that broke this mama's back.

So, my husband finally had a conversation with my father-in-law (reminder - he divorced my husband's mom when my husband was two, and was likely a very absent father who was cheating on his wife before that, but no one wants to talk details) who questioned, essentially, if our kids are out of control. He didn't really seem surprised to hear that we didn't want to take the kids to their place anymore, but he also asked for specific incidents to reference. I made sure my husband told him that it wasn't one or two things but a compilation of things over the years. Apparently, they are going to get together for a drink sometime soon to get into it more and make sure we all understand each other.

I have to be honest. When I heard that my father-in-law questioned if my kids were well-behaved, I got pissed. Not only do I take it personally as their primary caregiver, I take it personally that a dude who never really raised children and has expressed a dislike of children has the balls to tell us our kids are out of control. They are 1, 3 and 5. gently caress you.

They say please and thank you, they sit at the table for meals, they act as well as can be expected for small children. But yes, when you get all three of them together they wrestle, they explore, they yell, they push buttons, they make a mess - they are KIDS!

Honestly, I just don't want to be bothered with these people anymore. They literally have said to us, to our face, that they don't like kids. Why do I have to put everyone through this if no one is going to be happy about it? It would be one thing if they interacted with the kids in some way, but they kind of just ignore their grandkids until they do something wrong. The kids only want to go visit their grandfather because he has a hot tub we have splashed around in a few times. If they didn't have that hot tub, I doubt the kids would even remember who their grandfather was.

Someone please talk me down. Remind me why these forced familial interactions are necessary. Obviously my husband wants there to be a connection, he's used to his father's behavior and lets stuff slide, but my kids don't know how to deal with cold sarcastic assholes in their life and I'd rather not subject them to someone who makes jokingly derogatory statements or who would rather not deal with kids at all.

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007
If somebody is intentionally and long term being an rear end in a top hat to you or your immediate family, it doesn't really matter if they are related to you. It's 100% OK to stop or severely limit interactions with them for your own sanity. It sounds like you did the right thing here and it shows you have self awareness and put a high priority on your kids happiness and ability to be kids.

In short, forced familial interactions aren't mandatory unless they are a net positive for everyone. If you come away feeling belittled or undermined every time, take steps to make sure those interactions happen less often and under circumstances that are best for you and your kids. Plenty of grandparents only see their grandkids a couple times a year on big holidays and that's just fine. You don't have to allow assholes in your life because they are "family" and they live geographically close to you.

Disclaimer: I say this as somebody who had to severely step down my parents' involvement with my kid after my mom's behavior got more and more abusive and hurtful. And as a former kid who was forced into interactions with a nasty, belittling grandmother who outright didn't like us. I've seen both sides and now that I have child of my own I will put her emotional wellbeing over that of assholes every time. It is hard stuff, but sounds like you did the right thing.

New Weave Wendy fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jan 29, 2016

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
If you've tried to have a relationship with them, and failed, and repeated attempts does nothing but bring misery to everyone involved, then you need to protect your family by stepping away. You can keep the possibility of a future relationship open by not badmouthing the grandfather to your kids, and not having a big "I hate you and we'll never visit you again!"-confrontation with him - just explain that since the visits aren't fun for anyone, you're simply going to stop having them.

(By "you" I mean your husband for the talking-to-grandfather part - his dad, his responsibility).

Biology is severely overrated. Anyone can jump in the sack and make a kid - being a parent is a much harder job. His dad isn't doing the job of a parent, or a grandparent, and doesn't magically earn special concideration and a place in your life by sharing genetic material with your husband.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

VorpalBunny posted:

Ok, so a few weeks ago the thread helped me with my in-laws situation. TLDR - they were major assholes when I brought my three little kids to their home on Christmas Day and it was the straw that broke this mama's back.

So, my husband finally had a conversation with my father-in-law (reminder - he divorced my husband's mom when my husband was two, and was likely a very absent father who was cheating on his wife before that, but no one wants to talk details) who questioned, essentially, if our kids are out of control. He didn't really seem surprised to hear that we didn't want to take the kids to their place anymore, but he also asked for specific incidents to reference. I made sure my husband told him that it wasn't one or two things but a compilation of things over the years. Apparently, they are going to get together for a drink sometime soon to get into it more and make sure we all understand each other.

I have to be honest. When I heard that my father-in-law questioned if my kids were well-behaved, I got pissed. Not only do I take it personally as their primary caregiver, I take it personally that a dude who never really raised children and has expressed a dislike of children has the balls to tell us our kids are out of control. They are 1, 3 and 5. gently caress you.

They say please and thank you, they sit at the table for meals, they act as well as can be expected for small children. But yes, when you get all three of them together they wrestle, they explore, they yell, they push buttons, they make a mess - they are KIDS!

Honestly, I just don't want to be bothered with these people anymore. They literally have said to us, to our face, that they don't like kids. Why do I have to put everyone through this if no one is going to be happy about it? It would be one thing if they interacted with the kids in some way, but they kind of just ignore their grandkids until they do something wrong. The kids only want to go visit their grandfather because he has a hot tub we have splashed around in a few times. If they didn't have that hot tub, I doubt the kids would even remember who their grandfather was.

Someone please talk me down. Remind me why these forced familial interactions are necessary. Obviously my husband wants there to be a connection, he's used to his father's behavior and lets stuff slide, but my kids don't know how to deal with cold sarcastic assholes in their life and I'd rather not subject them to someone who makes jokingly derogatory statements or who would rather not deal with kids at all.

I had many wonderful grandparents growing up, none of whom were my actual grandparents. I had my cousin's grandparents, my neighbor's grandparents, and my friend's Grandma. I did have one super awesome Grandpa, but he died when I was still young. My Grandma was not a kid person, but never mean, so I did have happy thoughts about her (she died when I was in 6th grade). My other real grandparents: one couldn't ever remember my name or bother himself to ever reach out to us (although he spoiled his current wife's grandkids rotten and was wonderful to them) and the other was an alcoholic awful woman who had a billion kids but didn't like them. I have no nice thoughts about them, and was quite bitter about my parents making me see them. I still think it was wrong for my parents to expect us to spend time with people who clearly had no interest in us or our well-being.

My son has wonderful real grandparents and lots of extra "grandparents" including our neighbor, our friend's parents, and his cousins grandparents.

I guess my point is that you shouldn't push an unhealthy relationship on them just to make sure they have something. I'm sure there are plenty of wonderful people around you who are more than willing to play that role in your children's life.

I want to say I would be done with them, but I think limiting it to a you come to us only scenario and then see how it goes would be a good middle step. If it is still awful, just don't invite them again. Family can really suck sometimes...we're dealing with a nasty brother and family that is unwilling to do anything to help us avoid being around him, even though they agreed that it was reasonable that we wouldn't want to be around him. Now we're the bad guys for breaking up the family...

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

hooah posted:

For the dads, when did you start feeling a connection or bond with your child? My daughter's going on four months old and I mostly feel like she's an obligation. My wife did some searching online and I guess it isn't too uncommon for fathers to feel more or less indifferent for anywhere from a couple months to a year. I've just started going to counseling because we think I might have some signs of postpartum depression, but does anyone have any advice for how to get through this beyond "it'll get better"?

I didn't REALLY feel it until at least a year or more in, when I started to watch him on a more regular basis. Part of it for me was probably that I was younger and the pregnancy wasn't planned.

It'll get better. If you're a responsible adult it won't change how you care for your child in terms of the day to day, and at some point you'll feel that connection.

Totally different topic: I'm now looking for a new school for my son. I tried a Montessori school this year that honestly has been amazing for lots of reasons but his language disability is hampering him too much. He's in French right now (mom is french, I speak it though not at home) and I'm hoping that by moving to English (and repeating grade 2) he'll be able to have a less frustrating school experience. Looking for schools sucks.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

VorpalBunny posted:

They literally have said to us, to our face, that they don't like kids.

Beyond them being assholes, this should be enough for you to back off from them. They don't like kids, you don't like the way they behave, so it doesn't even seem like it should be a problem if you stop turning up to see them? It would be different if they were really demanding about seeing the kids and then handled them terribly, but if they aren't even interested why bother? You don't have to burn bridges with them or anything, you can always leave the door open for your kids to connect later on.

My Grandfather didn't really relate to small kids very well - he had not exactly been an active parent for my mom and just didn't know what to do with small children. I didn't have any sort of relationship with him until I was older, probably 12 or so, and we were able to talk about actual shared interested (he was a big science fiction fan, and we would trade recommendations back and forth and give each other books). I am sure it would have been nice if he had been more interested in me as a child, but on the whole we were still able to build a meaningful relationship once i was older.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Ashcans posted:

Beyond them being assholes, this should be enough for you to back off from them. They don't like kids, you don't like the way they behave, so it doesn't even seem like it should be a problem if you stop turning up to see them? It would be different if they were really demanding about seeing the kids and then handled them terribly, but if they aren't even interested why bother? You don't have to burn bridges with them or anything, you can always leave the door open for your kids to connect later on.

My Grandfather didn't really relate to small kids very well - he had not exactly been an active parent for my mom and just didn't know what to do with small children. I didn't have any sort of relationship with him until I was older, probably 12 or so, and we were able to talk about actual shared interested (he was a big science fiction fan, and we would trade recommendations back and forth and give each other books). I am sure it would have been nice if he had been more interested in me as a child, but on the whole we were still able to build a meaningful relationship once i was older.

Thanks for this, this is exactly what I hope will happen. The problem is their grandfather is mid-70s right now, so by the time my oldest might be in a position to develop a meaningful relationship with him he'll probably be dead.

And thanks for the advice everyone. I hate pushing away some of the only family we have, but if it's toxic and cruel and no one is getting any joy out of it...my husband will be sad but I just think limiting our interactions involving the kids and keeping visits here in our home seems like the best way to salvage something.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

rgocs posted:

^ This. The first time we flew with our son (he was 4 months old) we asked the airline if we had to bring a carseat and they said "Nooooo". Never actually seen a carseat on a plane either.

I suspect the airlines are happier when parents don't bring carseats, anyway; it's a hassle for them, especially if they have to get seatbelt extenders, also especially on the airlines that don't offer to let parents board early! That said, if I had any actual ability to influence it, I would totally force the FAA to ban lap children on flights, and the only reason I didn't join the torches-and-pitchforks brigade like I did in the last great car-seats-on-planes war is that I didn't read the thread yesterday :j:

(sorry, greatn, I hope you're not still mad at me)

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I don't understand how you guys travel with carseats unless you do like a all included or whatever :| We're going to europe/morocco for 3 weeks with what will be a 8 months old and we won't be lugging one around. I just can't imagine how crazy it must be trying to lug around a big carseat everywhere. Call me irresponsible but I'll just put him in the ergobaby and hold him if there's some heavy turbulence. Also that means you have to pay for an extra seat which isn't awesome.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

KingColliwog posted:

I don't understand how you guys travel with carseats unless you do like a all included or whatever :| We're going to europe/morocco for 3 weeks with what will be a 8 months old and we won't be lugging one around. I just can't imagine how crazy it must be trying to lug around a big carseat everywhere. Call me irresponsible but I'll just put him in the ergobaby and hold him if there's some heavy turbulence. Also that means you have to pay for an extra seat which isn't awesome.

But what are you gonna do when you get there? Get a rental?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

greatn posted:

But what are you gonna do when you get there? Get a rental?

Take the bus/metro/train, none of which require a car seat. Do you never ever take public transit with your baby because it's too dangerous? Even taxis don't legally require your baby to be in a car seat, but that's my limit and I wouldn't take one unless absolutely necessary (my kid is ill and I don't have access to my car and need to go to the ER now and other similar situations).

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Having the baby in ergo during take off and landing wasn't allowed on the flights we've taken. During the flight baby slept great in it though.