Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

GMT Games posted:

We are pleased to announce that the game Cuba Libre Reprint Edition in your order number [0-9]{6} (quantity 1 at price $48.00) has changed status to: Made the Cut

With P500 the way it is, and for a reprint, I'm not sure that is meaningful but it can't hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

rchandra posted:

With P500 the way it is, and for a reprint, I'm not sure that is meaningful but it can't hurt.

Did the GMT email come with the regexp?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Sekigahara is up to 425! I wish there was a "this is how many backers there were when YOU came in" cause I'm curious now. I think it was 375? Only 75 more! Comon!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The most recent GMT update has Cuba Libre printing in March and the expansion, Invierno Cubano, in June-August. I need my insurgency now, dammit!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Finally I can tell people to just get Cuba Libre without sound like an rear end in a top hat.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

How is D-Day Dice?

I'm looking for a solo dice chucking game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Kind of repetitive and very luck based. It was interesting when I gave it a go a whole while back but it didn't really catch my attention for long.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Tekopo posted:

Kind of repetitive and very luck based. It was interesting when I gave it a go a whole while back but it didn't really catch my attention for long.

That's to bad.

So there aren't that many ways to mitigate bad rolls?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Selecta84 posted:

That's to bad.

So there aren't that many ways to mitigate bad rolls?
It's basically Yahtzee, so if you don't mind the bad roll mitigation in Yahtzee then you shouldn't have a problem. I played with a Print&Play that they had when their KS was out, maybe you can find it and try it out yourself.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Tekopo posted:

It's basically Yahtzee, so if you don't mind the bad roll mitigation in Yahtzee then you shouldn't have a problem. I played with a Print&Play that they had when their KS was out, maybe you can find it and try it out yourself.

I didn't know there was a PnP. I will try to find that to test the game before buying it.

The game is oop in Germany and I saw it relatively cheap second hand.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Oldstench posted:

Did the GMT email come with the regexp?

Yes, more tasteful than the MSPainted black bar the general thread got.

Now all I need is for the Canadian dollar to recover :(

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Selecta84 posted:

I didn't know there was a PnP. I will try to find that to test the game before buying it.

The game is oop in Germany and I saw it relatively cheap second hand.

I found D-day Dice really freaking hard, even as a coop. I don't think we ever got past the second or third scenario.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

c3i arrived at my office early, gonna pick it up tomorrow :woop: (sorry tomdidiot :v:)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm a sucker for monster games - I just ordered Tannenberg, the introductory mini-module of the SPW Der Weltkrieg series.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 23, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I just use online shops to track new wargames tbh. There are a couple of geeklists on BGG as well.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Oh my god, DVG is working on "Warfighter: WWII"

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Tekopo posted:

Finally I can tell people to just get Cuba Libre without sound like an rear end in a top hat.

After reading the C3i article about COIN complexity, Falling Sky also looks like its going to be a good way for people to get into the series. There was a deliberate decision to dial back the complexity after Fire in the Lake (which I still haven't gotten a chance to really play :().

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Taran_Wanderer posted:

After reading the C3i article about COIN complexity, Falling Sky also looks like its going to be a good way for people to get into the series. There was a deliberate decision to dial back the complexity after Fire in the Lake (which I still haven't gotten a chance to really play :().

In terms of actual gameplay, how different are the COIN games from one another? Because I'm really interested in the Falling Sky setting, but I own FITL and have Cuba Libre on P500 order.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
This one in particular will do a bunch of stuff quite differently.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

CaptainRightful posted:

In terms of actual gameplay, how different are the COIN games from one another? Because I'm really interested in the Falling Sky setting, but I own FITL and have Cuba Libre on P500 order.

They're mostly the same, though they each have their particular quirks. In particular, Falling Sky doesn't use the Support/Opposition system of the other titles, and uses a more complicated battle system like Liberty or Death.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Plan Orange clipped sleeved and ready to go :q:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I am really digging Ran. My main complaint is more than half the scenarios are just "fight it out". I like objectives : (

Do any of the GBoH, or I guess any games like them feature more objective based scenarios?

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

The General posted:

I am really digging Ran. My main complaint is more than half the scenarios are just "fight it out". I like objectives : (

Do any of the GBoH, or I guess any games like them feature more objective based scenarios?

Caesar at Alesia/Alexandria/Gaul and some of their supplements involve capturing or holding specific locations. Anything involving sieges, cities, or river crossings might be what you are looking for.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Taran_Wanderer posted:

For us who aren't going to spend $30 on the newest issue is there anything else of note about COIN or thoughts?

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Liberty or Death came today :mrgw:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Erghh posted:

Caesar at Alesia/Alexandria/Gaul and some of their supplements involve capturing or holding specific locations. Anything involving sieges, cities, or river crossings might be what you are looking for.

That's exactly what I'm looking for. I need more than just "crash side A into Side B."

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

The General posted:

That's exactly what I'm looking for. I need more than just "crash side A into Side B."

Ironically, I love those kinds of scenarios. So Ran plays well solo?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

It plays very well solo. One scenario has hidden troops. But I figure I'll figure something out for that when it becomes time.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

The General posted:

Hear that. GBoH hits those situations but they don't usually collect them in one spot. Caesar in Alexandria was sort of odd in that respect with its ancient urban warfare. It was a different experience anyway. Gregovia does assault/defense too but requires Conquest of Gaul to play.

Chandragupta offers some of it too. Definitely a different setting. Might be easier to find than some of the others.

If you're feeling brave find the Caesar Civil War set and break out the Battle of Munda.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Objective based gameplay seems to come up more in later periods where there are fewer pitched battles.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

cenotaph posted:

Objective based gameplay seems to come up more in later periods where there are fewer pitched battles.

For medieval and early modern yeah. There's also the element of designer choice in trying balance everything and show off different bits like field battles, sieges etc.

Since it came up, GBoH does fine solo. Most games out there are probably played that way.

If you're looking for solid line bashes the mega editions of both SPQR and Alexander have them plenty. (Also not affiliated with GMT it's just the system is for me what ASL is for others :negative:. Been kind of in a burnout phase though.)

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
In terms of time period, I find the ACW to be really good for objective-based play. So many of the battles that took place weren't these large, planned, set-piece engagements; they were raids, turning movements, breakouts, breakthroughs, counter-marches, etc. When big battles did happen, it was usually because smaller forces bumped into each other almost by accident and ended up committing extra forces. Lee had no intention of fighting at Gettysburg, for instance, and explicitly told A.P. Hill (the first division commander to report contact) to avoid engaging Federal troops entirely. Whoops. I don't know if these kinds of scenarios are reflected in the ACW chit-and-counter kinds of games so much, but you definitely see it in the tabletop miniatures world.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Eighth Turn 3 card plays

I play my last card, War in Europe, as a 3OC Offensive with the South Seas HQ. I want to move more units out of Japan to reinforce the South Pacific. I also want to take back Eniwetok, so I'm going to try to kill two birds with one stone. From Japan, CV Akagi, BB Hiei, and Ed Army attack Eniwetok and 1AD and 18th Army move to Ulithi. The Allies make their intel roll and activates C Pac HQ to react to Eniwetok with 38 A/N attack factors as well as reinforcing the ground unit with a Marine Brigade. I keep forgetting how long the reach of the C Pac HQ is, and was expecting him to be able to respond with less here. Fortunately, he only rolls a one, and is unable to reduce any of my units. Sadly, I only roll a three, and just reduce CV Enterprise. I also lose Air Naval combat, so my amphibious assault is repelled.

My opponent moves his naval units to Espiritu Santo and 7AF LRB to Nauru. My naval units move to Truk and ED Army goes to Rabaul.

The Allies then plays War in Europe, bringing War in Europe to +1. He then curses me for the Panama Canal attack, as his reinforcements will get delayed anyway.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
BGG apparently running out of wargamers

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Good news, one of the Busho in Ran has figured out how to actively withdrawal without causing his troops to panic, or having to kill himself after its done.

"No boss, I wasn't running away, I was regrouping so maybe we wouldn't get slaughtered."

"Hmm.... I'm going to allow this, and see how it goes. But don't anybody else think about doing it."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Does B-17 Queen of the Skies count as a wargame? Because I just had an incredibly lucky first mission. The only thing that would have made it better would be if I had hit the target more, but the plane didn't get hit and nobody got hurt!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

Does B-17 Queen of the Skies count as a wargame? Because I just had an incredibly lucky first mission. The only thing that would have made it better would be if I had hit the target more, but the plane didn't get hit and nobody got hurt!

I'd say it does. It falls in the camp of solitaire wargame dice-chuckers such as The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, Patton's Best, B-29 Superfortress, etc. They're fun time wasters and tell really interesting stories, even if they're not traditional hex-and-counter wargames.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Testing criteria for wargames:

Is it about war?
Is it a game?

If yes to both, it is a wargame!

:eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tekopo posted:

Testing criteria for wargames:

Is it about war?
Is it a game?

If yes to both, it is a wargame!

:eng101:

Does it kind of look like a game that could be about war? Eh we'll let it in.