Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Also: Deus Ex is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Constr posted:

I followed the OP's advice and I got the gep gun and it's pretty good but it's too loving [i[big[/i]. Also I feel a little bad about stealing from random people's bank accounts.

These people were dumb enough to leave messages with their bank info just laying out in the open. Clearly the money is better in JC's hands.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Maybe UNATCO has some FDIC equivalent in the future?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
The GEP is not too big, you're just using it wrong. Quit trying to put it in your mouth.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
You're actually saving on inventory space by keeping it, because it unlocks doors, disables automated security, and works as a sniper rifle.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

If you ever have more than, say, 10 GEP rockets, it's a sign you're not using enough.

Also don't forget the alt-ammo white phosphorus rockets, which is a great way to clear a room / break multiple treaties.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

El_Elegante posted:

The GEP is not too big, you're just using it wrong. Quit trying to put it in your mouth.

The best way to use the GEP Gun is as part of that inventory bug so you can carry every gun in the game at once.

gently caress inventory tetris, I want to carry 4 LAWs.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You haven't seen anything until you've modded the assault rifle to fire WP rockets.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Linguica posted:

If you ever have more than, say, 10 GEP rockets, it's a sign you're not using enough.

Also don't forget the alt-ammo white phosphorus rockets, which is a great way to clear a room / break multiple treaties.

The white phosphorous is probably my favorite way to say "gently caress everything" after inadvertently breaking stealth before reloading.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Is there a way to play GMDX without HDTP? Modders keep using HDTP for some baffling reason. It's totally hideous. :ughh:

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Is there a way to play GMDX without HDTP? Modders keep using HDTP for some baffling reason. It's totally hideous. :ughh:

It really isn't. Only the characters models are weird. Weapons are straight improvement.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Nokiaman posted:

It really isn't. Only the characters models are weird. Weapons are straight improvement.

Well I'm happy you think so because I think the weapon designs are out of place, badly animated, badly textured, and a complete eyesore. v:v:v

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Version 8 of GMDX is out.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx/downloads/gmdx-v80-full

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Looks like GMDX is everything I hoped Revision would be.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Looks like GMDX is everything I hoped Revision would be.

Yeah, absolutely! I appreciate the little tweaks, like the power recirculator turning on automatically and the addition of hit markers.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
drat, now I'm tempted to play through again with the GMDX mod. It does look like a massive improvement in all areas.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Yeah, someone play this and tell me how much they hosed everything up so I don't have to play through this game again a third time this year.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Is there a change log for v8? Couldn't see one on ModDB or its own site.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
GMDX is great. I highly recommend getting the microfibral muscle augment. Here's a trip report of it I did a while back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_K-JYx-rdc

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Carpet posted:

Is there a change log for v8? Couldn't see one on ModDB or its own site.

Yeah I didn't see anything on moddb either other than links to the videos (doesn't everyone want to watch like twenty minutes worth of videos about a mod?), but the official site has text versions of everything included in them, you just have to dig around in the links up top.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Crindee posted:

Yeah, someone play this and tell me how much they hosed everything up so I don't have to play through this game again a third time this year.

I've played an earlier version of GMDX for a few hours and very much liked what I saw. Conversely, I was extremely excited for Revision and ended up very disappointed. Like, someone just stole Christmas disappointed. They really hosed it up.

Here's the big difference: Revision focused on adding new stuff with no thought as to if the change was better, GMDX attempts to take an already polished game and just continue polishing... like if GMDX adds a new building, it's because previously there was nothing but empty space there before. If you check on

Here's the first in a series of 8 short videos that showcase all the changes and the overall design philosophy. I can pretty much guarantee that after you watch some of those videos, that you will be mashing the install button as fast as you can.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Holy poo poo, I need to play GMDX again. A lot of those new things in V8 sound really awesome, especially the perks system.

I beat GMDX on Hardcore before V8 and I'm sort of annoyed that the new version requires you to beat the game first to get to it but oh well.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Idk about GMDX but I rather like the level changes in Revision. The additions to Liberty Island, for example, are designed in such a way that they aid greatly in cover-based stealth.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
wouldn't mind GMDX's mechanics with Revision's levels tbh

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I've not played Deus Ex for a long time, this GMDX mod looks good enough for me to do another run.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Gyshall posted:

wouldn't mind GMDX's mechanics with Revision's levels tbh
Would that not be a possibility?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I didn't feel like Revision made anything better other than some of the graphics changes, but it made it different which was nice after having replayed it 900 times.

All the backwards Chinese in Hong Kong made me sperg plus the windows at Versalife showed it in Kowloon and not even on the same island as Wan Chai. :argh:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Would that not be a possibility?

I believe they both currently edit the same files, so not currently.

The GMDX guy should release it on Steam like Revision and see what kind of traction it would get. I be it'd be popular.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Gyshall posted:

I believe they both currently edit the same files, so not currently.

The GMDX guy should release it on Steam like Revision and see what kind of traction it would get. I be it'd be popular.

I watched all of the promo/what this mod is about videos for that and a really good video LP of it on Christmas Day, and I was proper impressed. I agree with you fully that it would get over like Daniel Bryan.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I only just noticed that the desk lamps have mustaches. Or was that always there and I just couldn't turn the graphics up enough to notice back in the day?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I'm pretty sure they always looked like that.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
https://twitter.com/DeusEx/status/688075842598113280

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Grand Fromage posted:

I didn't feel like Revision made anything better other than some of the graphics changes, but it made it different which was nice after having replayed it 900 times.

All the backwards Chinese in Hong Kong made me sperg plus the windows at Versalife showed it in Kowloon and not even on the same island as Wan Chai. :argh:
Do you have strong opinions about Sleepy Dogs / Shadowrun Hong Kong?

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Stumiester posted:

Read Bester's "Stars my Destination" as well, because that has had a huge impact on Sci-Fi. As well as being an incredible book.

I read Bester's best work (Stars/Demolished Man), Dune and the Foundation trilogy when I was a teenager, and its crazy how much those handful of books inform modern scifi. I mean, is not JC Denton the Kwisatz Haderach?

I know it's from the 60s, but dune spoilers
na, he's only descended from jesus and not bob page, although you could consider the fight between jc and simons to be like that fight at the end of dune between paul and vlad's nephew or whatever, in that they're both end-products of the nano-aug project

JC tenton is real

pnutz fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jan 16, 2016

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

pnutz posted:

I know it's from the 60s, but dune spoilers
na, he's only descended from jesus and not bob page, although you could consider the fight between jc and simons to be like that fight at the end of dune between paul and vlad's nephew or whatever, in that they're both end-products of the nano-aug project

Feyd-Rautha, yeah his nephew (and heir)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Xander77 posted:

Do you have strong opinions about Sleepy Dogs / Shadowrun Hong Kong?

I haven't played Shadowrun yet and Sleeping Dogs was before I'd started learning Chinese.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Feyd-Rautha, yeah his nephew (and heir)

I read that book over christmas and forgot his name already :(

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
Soooo I'm tentatively trying to do a no-reload run through deus ex on realistic. I'm sure it is possible, given I see some random internet denizen posted about nearly completing it, but with one death. Any advice? I've no-reloaded a lot of games, and my general rule of thumb is its pretty manageable as long as I have a good panic button and I don't get yourself into trouble too often.

In the case of deus ex, I'm having trouble finding that panic button, as JC doesn't seem to have anything that can easily and accurately one-shot an aggressive enemy or immediately remove me from danger. And of course even a single lucky pistol bullet from the lowliest enemy can kill JC, so this has been an issue.

Some specific questions:

Does the flamethrower immediately disable enemies on hit?

Does cloak provide immediate safey against organics?

How much damage resistance (from vest or aug) does JC need to survive pistol or rifle bullets to the torso or head?

Are there other good options for escape / quick kills?

Anyhow, in a few hours of play I have gotten to the point where libery isle is pretty easy and I've nearly also completed battery park (accidentally triggered enemies and got killed in the subway). But getting deeper into the game seems relatively unpalatable unless JC can get significantly better at protecting himself...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Play hyper aggressively with stealth and get the wallhack eyes for later on, would be my suggestion. Murdering poo poo from afar before it can fight back would be a good way to minimize risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Play hyper aggressively with stealth and get the wallhack eyes for later on, would be my suggestion. Murdering poo poo from afar before it can fight back would be a good way to minimize risk.

this. Rocket launcher, sniper rifle will be your friends; set up traps with gas mines and finish off the enemy while they're wiping their eyes. Be sneaky as hell until you are discovered then use as much firepower as you can get. Remember: there is no kill like overkill.