Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Supercar Gautier posted:

You can also tell they dropped a plotline with Chausson. When he's first established, Elma practically shouts "GOSH THIS GUY SURE IS POWER-HUNGRY" and then for the rest of the story he's entirely reasonable, works nicely with everyone, and never pulls any schemes.

A lot of the defenses of the game's storytelling seem to amount to "That's not the draw, the good part is this other thing" and holy hell some of you are apparently made of time that you're willing to sit through scenes that aren't supposed to be good.

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd consider this a good thing. I'm sick of every story where the one important political guy ends up being a power-hungry rear end in a top hat/is a useless idiot when it comes to everything that is actually important.

Yeah, they go out of their way on that line with Elma going "Oh, he's made himself Director-General now :rolleyes::fh:" like he's gonna be a dickhead out for power for ultimately no reason. I'm also thankful they killed it off right then and there (though it should've been cut altogether), because it would've been a pointless hindrance in the face of the fact they're all dead in about two months if they don't all co-operate.

ImpAtom posted:

That has nothing to do with the main plot outshining the side plots though.

Xenoblade's villains were almost all this. Metal Face or Dickson or whatever had basically not motivation beyond "killing is awesome" and "I want power!"

The whole point of Metal Face was to make it look like all Mechon are evil motherfuckers out to eradicate Homs, when it turns out they aren't. You also seem to forget that the game really wants you to be mindful of the main story with the BIG TEN-METER-TALL DIGITS on the side of BLADE Tower, that not only show the percentage but a constantly-ticking decimal-place to remind the player that it's not (technically) static. Not to mention the ever-present "GO TO THE NEXT STORY MISSION" on the side of the screen.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I'm just saying that one of Xenoblade's story's strengths compared to X is that the characters actually have motivations and a purpose in the narrative.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
So I beat the last story mission awhile ago but I still don't know what I should be DOING. I've just kind of been putzing around doing affinity missions and killing tyrants. There's so much info on the internet about where to get mats and weapons to take on the level 90 superbosses but I can't even kill the stuff that drops said items and I have no idea where I should start. Can anyone give me some tips or something? I have no idea where to begin.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The whole point of Metal Face was to make it look like all Mechon are evil motherfuckers out to eradicate Homs, when it turns out they aren't. You also seem to forget that the game really wants you to be mindful of the main story with the BIG TEN-METER-TALL DIGITS on the side of BLADE Tower, that not only show the percentage but a constantly-ticking decimal-place to remind the player that it's not (technically) static. Not to mention the ever-present "GO TO THE NEXT STORY MISSION" on the side of the screen.

They are though? They're just out to do it because turns out the god of the Homs is eviler and thus we're supposed to forgive the Mechon their campaign of horrific genocide, hiring crazy mass murderers and brainwashing people. Literally the only reason they're not just evil motherfuckers is that the Homs happen to have even bigger evil motherfuckers. Even then the Mechon are about as sympathetic as the Wrothians are in that they're assholes dealing with bigger assholes.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You also seem to forget that the game really wants you to be mindful of the main story with the BIG TEN-METER-TALL DIGITS on the side of BLADE Tower, that not only show the percentage but a constantly-ticking decimal-place to remind the player that it's not (technically) static.

If it was an actual timer I'd agree but this is about as relevant as them reminding you Meteor falls in 7 days or whatever. It's not actually pressing anyone onward and is just a reminder of what the plot is doing until it ends.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 25, 2016

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

because it would've been a pointless hindrance in the face of the fact they're all dead in about two months if they don't all co-operate.

That and Vandhiem does the same thing when the city is under attack and they justify that for morale and probably realize the Director General did it for the same reason.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

So is the story in Xenoblade Chronicles better than the one here? I wanted to play that game since the setting sounded really unique and I hear it had strong writing. Playing X has made me second guess that though. Cause while I'm having fun exploring and slaughtering my way across this planet, almost all the plot feels really stupid. And while this setting looks cool the logic behind it seems pretty awful.

OG xenoblade chronicles is an extremely good game, with an amazing story and gameplay and mood and setting and everything, and and chronicles X is way worse. Please play the original xenoblade chronicles for nintendo wii

edit: you will see the difference immediately, the moment you turn the game on

many johnnys fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 25, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

They are though? They're just out to do it because turns out the god of the Homs is eviler and thus we're supposed to forgive the Mechon their campaign of horrific genocide, hiring crazy mass murderers and brainwashing people

You mean the one rogue Machina that everyone else said "gently caress this, we're out" and ran the gently caress away when he went genocidal on the Bionis and Homs?

FeyerbrandX posted:

That and Vandhiem does the same thing when the city is under attack and they justify that for morale and probably realize the Director General did it for the same reason.

No, that's different. Chausson addressing the people as such passively implies he's elevating himself above them. They actually outright say Vandham's announcing it at the enemy for psychological reasons to sound like he's commanding a massive organized military force, rather than "anyone with a Skell and/or can hold a weapon looking to make a buck".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You mean the one rogue Machina that everyone else said "gently caress this, we're out" and ran the gently caress away when he went genocidal on the Bionis and Homs?

Sre you talking about the small number of Machina who went and made a village and thus can't be possibly qualified as villains? That's not actually changing things much and in fact Xenoblade X does the same thing with various alien species. The actual villains, the dudes you fight, are 90% power-hungry shitheads, 5% mind-controlled and 5% angry and rage-filled but still genocidal. Only one of them has anything remotely resembling complexity and it is "turns out the Homs were the bigger shitheads because of an evil god." Characters like Dixon or Lorithia literally laugh and brag about much they love hurting and murdering people.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 25, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Sre you talking about the small number of Machina who went and made a village and thus can't be possibly qualified as villains?

They're the only ones Egil didn't murder the poo poo out of for disagreeing with them, so yes.

Just on a side-note with Chausson, I think Rock and Celica might be survivors of the first, or at least an early, draft of the story because the whole thing of Chausson turning out to be getting Rock a construction job instead of forcing him to fight would probably have stuck a lot better on the "turns out he's not an rear end in a top hat" thing. Instead of "why is Chausson suddenly acting like an rear end in a top hat?"

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

So I beat the last story mission awhile ago but I still don't know what I should be DOING. I've just kind of been putzing around doing affinity missions and killing tyrants. There's so much info on the internet about where to get mats and weapons to take on the level 90 superbosses but I can't even kill the stuff that drops said items and I have no idea where I should start. Can anyone give me some tips or something? I have no idea where to begin.

If you're having trouble killing things, look into making Slayer augments for your Skell. They're pretty cheap to make. And consider doing some Squad Tasks and Squad Missions in order to get tickets, which you can use to buy some of the rarer monster drops.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're the only ones Egil didn't murder the poo poo out of for disagreeing with them, so yes.

Right. But they're not villains. There is no conflict with them. Xord and Metal Face and so-on are in fact an exact representation of the Mechon you're fight except the ones who are just mind-controlled robot slaves. Then you flip over to Zanza who doesn't have a remotely sympathetic element to him before you discover he blew up the universe and whose minions all spend the entirety of their screentime laughing about how evil they are.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I for one liked Chausson being legit on the up and up despite his appearance. I also think Elma's :jerkbag: comment in the beginning came more from her having at least a somewhat close relationship to him. She gives her friends poo poo, particularly Vandham, though that doesn't really come across in the main story.

Elma and Yelv also have an amusing after battle exchange while I'm thinking about it.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

re: Lin eating Tatsu, the joke reached its pinnacle in Lin's final affinity mission "To Serve Nopon", and it legitimately made me laugh seeing Tatsu's mind's interpretation of what Lin said. That's anime for ya.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So Lao continues to meet his daily fuckup quota like a boss, holy cow you guys.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

So Lao continues to meet his daily fuckup quota like a boss, holy cow you guys.

Doesn't gently caress up on wearing that bodysuit, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

Doesn't gently caress up on wearing that bodysuit, though.

Yes he does because the first thing any reasonable person does it take it away and give him a bright pink tank top and a swimsuit bottom.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

many johnnys posted:

edit: you will see the difference immediately, the moment you turn the game on

I agree about most of this but "see the difference" implies that the graphics aren't extremely underwhelming. The game has its graphical moments but not for hours after the start.

I'd say Xenoblade Chronicles is almost a modernized Chrono Trigger, and Xenoblade Chronicles X is like Fallout 4 and a Korean MMO had a baby. The only place that X improved was graphics in my opinion.

There are a huge amount of parallels between Fallout 4 and XBCX, goddamn.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

X has a much much more refined combat system than Chronicles, and a far better world (in the exploration sense, not the world-building story sense). Chronicles has a world that is visually creative but almost entirely linear, where many areas feel less like an open world and a lot more like prolonged outdoor (or often indoor) dungeon crawling. Chronicles has a much much better story because it is a story-driven game. It also has pretty good combat and alright character building and pretty good sidequests, but the reason to play Chronicles is mostly for the main story and main characters. X has mostly-fantastic character building rpg mechanics, and those are the reasons to play and recommend it, but it's built in with a story that is totally throwaway plus sidequests that are just weird enough to be cool.

What I'm saying is that the two games go in such totally opposite directions that it is strange to be comparing them in the sense of "this one is better" because they have so little in common in terms of their design and goals. Outside of the name and a few superficial bits like both using cooldowns and collectibles, they barely even feel like the same genre of JRPG. If you picked up Xenoblade X for the story and then dropped it in disappointment, then I'm sorry for your purchase, but if that was all you cared about then you weren't really playing Xenoblade X.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Moxie posted:

I agree about most of this but "see the difference" implies that the graphics aren't extremely underwhelming. The game has its graphical moments but not for hours after the start.

I'd say Xenoblade Chronicles is almost a modernized Chrono Trigger, and Xenoblade Chronicles X is like Fallout 4 and a Korean MMO had a baby. The only place that X improved was graphics in my opinion.

There are a huge amount of parallels between Fallout 4 and XBCX, goddamn.

Yeah, I meant in terms of tone, and presentation, and well just kind of everything.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ImpAtom posted:

Yes he does because the first thing any reasonable person does it take it away and give him a bright pink tank top and a swimsuit bottom.

It's a drat shame he Doesn't wear what you left him in throughout the end

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I left him in his skivvies because I didn't like him. Having him show up like that would have destroyed any semblance of gravitas. Not that there was much to speak of from the start...

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Lao question: Can you still get him to join your party after chapter 9, or do you have to progress a chapter to get him back?

Also how do you get in the huge sphere in Sylvalum? I just got my flying Skell and am nowhere near close to killing whatever is inside but I am ready for it to kill me.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Moxie posted:

I'd say Xenoblade Chronicles is almost a modernized Chrono Trigger,

I can't agree, considering that CT's greatest asset is its brevity.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Louisgod posted:

Lao question: Can you still get him to join your party after chapter 9, or do you have to progress a chapter to get him back?

Also how do you get in the huge sphere in Sylvalum? I just got my flying Skell and am nowhere near close to killing whatever is inside but I am ready for it to kill me.

There's a relatively small entrance on its side, marked by a waterfall

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
I played maybe like 10 hours of the first game on my 3DS. It's alright I guess. I don't want to immediately play something else so that's a good sign. Anyway I kind of want something on my Wii U. Is this game good enough to just chuck 60 gilboondollars at? I heard the menus are super non-intuitive.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NT Plus posted:

I played maybe like 10 hours of the first game on my 3DS. It's alright I guess. I don't want to immediately play something else so that's a good sign. Anyway I kind of want something on my Wii U. Is this game good enough to just chuck 60 gilboondollars at? I heard the menus are super non-intuitive.

It depends on what you're looking for. The plot is a lot worse, the exploration is a lot better, the music is infinitely more goofy anime buttrock (which can be a plus or minus depending on your tastes), and yeah, the game is fairly poorly explained unless you read the manual. If you're looking for a straight-up JRPG you're probably better off finding something else. If you're looking for basically the closest thing the Wii U has to something like Fallout it's basically it.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Motto posted:

I can't agree, considering that CT's greatest asset is its brevity.

The characterization and teamwork driven combat system with a 7 member cast are what I was thinking of. If Xenoblade Chronicles approached CT in terms of pacing there would really be no argument over which was better between it and... I guess any RPG that came out since then.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

NT Plus posted:

If you can try it for cheap or free (borrow, library, etc) maybe give it a test run before committing any serious cash on it.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Fortunately for me Japanese buttrock is my jam in a post-Dragon's Dogma world!

To Redbox I go; thanks friends!

Sad to hear the story suffered a bit. It wasn't the most engaging thing ever in the first game (WE ARE HOOMANS; THEY ARE MACHINES WHICH ARE BAD) but that was more to its credit because hell if I wanna get into some kind of big contrived plot!

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Do I get locked out of any content by doing chapter 12?

I have managed to evade spoilers, and kind of want to just see what the gently caress all this random poo poo everyone is eluding to in game. Yes or no answers are fine.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

No, I don't think so. If anything, more stuff opens up. The game continues on after you finish Chapter 12, there's no New Game+ or anything if that's what you're wondering.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I have a very specific question. I'm doing the quest An Ancient Legend. Some Googling tells me I need to ask Slovity Pagus to help or the guys are going to get slaughtered. Problem is I can't find her. I've already done both her quests and I did not kill her men in her first quest. Anyone know where she hangs out after you've done her quests?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is there a way to check what each skill on a weapon does? I got a bunny nose with Treasure Sensor V, but it can't be upgraded so it won't tell me what that does.

Also I am not 100% sure what all the numbers and stats mean on the gear screen besides defense so I'm probably gimping myself by buying only the armor with the highest defense...

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I have finally finished the game. That ending sure was ridiculously JRPG. What follows are spoilers for anyone who hasn't done chapter 12.

The bit after the credits was dumb as all gently caress. So that thing Luxaar was shooting at wasn't the computer with us all in then? It just seemed like a really stupid thing to happen after the story is technically over, I guess. Does this mean all the BLADEs that died actually ARE dead or what? And Lao waking up on the beach was like something from a bad B-movie.

I'm glad Elma was an alien and not just old/a man/whatever. In fact Elma's alien is one of the few things that has a relatively realistic looking face which is nice. Of course it'd be nice to know her actual motivation for coming to Earth. Or the aliens outside the Ganglion's motivation for coming and shooting it all up.

Boring as hell to have so many combats all in a row as well.

Plus it feels....wrong to spend all my time getting all those aliens and building up NLA and then having it mean nothing whatsoever in the ending. I don't really know what they could do with it but I'd still have liked a bit more.

One thing that annoyed me all through the game and came up in the ending was enemies doing stuff in cutscenes and your characters just loving standing around and letting them do it over and over and over. Some Prone kid gets eaten by a big lion when I'm standing RIGHT NEXT TO IT and I can't do anything. So, so, so many instances of it taking away your agency like a really bad DM.

And while I absolutely love all the vistas of the game I never really feel like the exploration is all that great. Sure I can get to that cool huge ring in Oblivia or inside the Noctilent Sphere and stuff. But there's nothing to do in these places, you never actually learn anything about them. You just see them and that's it.
In Witcher 3 and Fallout New Vegas you were opening up the world and doing quests that fleshed it out. Xenoblade never really captures that, it's like a fancy tech demo.

I also find with the combat I'm not really sure what's going on. I can see the enemies using their powers but sometimes you'll be blasted by something enormous and the game doesn't make it easy to find out what it is. This ties into the 'destroying body parts' stuff as well since the main reason to do that is meant to be stopping them from using certain attacks.
I had to give up on Definian Downfall because even being level 56 with full gear and loads of mechanoid slayers I just can't seem to kill the final enemy - when it gets low on health it does some special attack from SOMEWHERE that starts really eating my health. If the game made it clearer that it's from a certain spot then I could actually do something about it.

At no point will I say I regret playing and I'm glad I've got to the end. But it still feels like a game full of weird mistakes. A lot of the time I feel like I'm just looking up what to do next and following the guides because so many quests have ridiculous things to do and I absolutely hate doing that. It's almost like the game is playing itself, I guess.

quote:

I have a very specific question. I'm doing the quest An Ancient Legend. Some Googling tells me I need to ask Slovity Pagus to help or the guys are going to get slaughtered. Problem is I can't find her. I've already done both her quests and I did not kill her men in her first quest. Anyone know where she hangs out after you've done her quests?
She should either be at East Gate in the Administrative District OR on the port side of the Manon ship. If she isn't there you might be bugged in some way.
That reminds me of something else - they build up you recruiting Cavern Clan to be potentially troublesome since you have Tree Clan too. But nothing happens with it at all!

Taear fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 25, 2016

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Taear posted:

And while I absolutely love all the vistas of the game I never really feel like the exploration is all that great. Sure I can get to that cool huge ring in Oblivia or inside the Noctilent Sphere and stuff. But there's nothing to do in these places, you never actually learn anything about them. You just see them and that's it.

I feel the same way. The areas are vast, but that's about it.

Chronicles Original: the areas of the game have their own histories, and there are a ton of optional quests to learn more about them.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Is there a way to check what each skill on a weapon does? I got a bunny nose with Treasure Sensor V, but it can't be upgraded so it won't tell me what that does.

Also I am not 100% sure what all the numbers and stats mean on the gear screen besides defense so I'm probably gimping myself by buying only the armor with the highest defense...

All I know for sure is Stability affects the variance in damage you can do. Like if a gun has 50 damage and +-5 Stability then it can do between 45 and 55 damage. Well, it's probably not that simple a calculation but you know what I mean. Also Potential raises the max damage of arts that cost TP. There's plenty of videos on the internet of people with 500 Potential killing the hardest bosses in the game without a skell with 1 Blossom Dance.

Taear posted:

I'm glad Elma was an alien and not just old/a man/whatever. In fact Elma's alien is one of the few things that has a relatively realistic looking face which is nice. Of course it'd be nice to know her actual motivation for coming to Earth. Or the aliens outside the Ganglion's motivation for coming and shooting it all up.

Elma came because she knew The Ganglion were planning something and wanted to warn us of the inevitable invasion. The other aliens were trying to stop The Ganglion from blowing up earth but just did a very lovely job. If you rewatch the intro it's only The Ganglion skells that shoot at the earth and the ark ships. As for who the other aliens were I think in one of Luxaar's cutscenes it said they were space cops.

Taear posted:

I had to give up on Definian Downfall because even being level 56 with full gear and loads of mechanoid slayers I just can't seem to kill the final enemy - when it gets low on health it does some special attack from SOMEWHERE that starts really eating my health. If the game made it clearer that it's from a certain spot then I could actually do something about it.

I had a lot of trouble with that one too but people in this thread gave me advice and I ended up beating it on the first try. It takes a very specific party. You NEED Irina. She's the best healer/support unit. Use Lyn/HB/L to tank the fucker while Irina heals and just unload with all your best damaging arts as fast as possible. There's an Assault Rifle art that inflicts topple on Mechanoids guaranteed and it's very useful to interrupt it's attacks and keep it locked down. That big attack that's killing you when it gets close to death is coming from those canons around the room. You can't get out of range because they encircle the whole chamber so you have to interrupt the boss with a topple/stun to stop it.

Definian Downfall is really tough but you gotta do it if you want to recruit Mia. Also the boss, Rexoskell, is one of the time attack opponents so you gotta beat the mission if you want to make certain weapons/gear since they require materials from the time attack version.

SloppyDoughnuts fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 25, 2016

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Elma came because she knew The Ganglion were planning something and wanted to warn us of the inevitable invasion. The other aliens were trying to stop The Ganglion from blowing up earth but just did a very lovely job. If you rewatch the intro it's only The Ganglion skells that shoot at the earth and the ark ships. As for who the other aliens were I think in one of Luxaar's cutscenes it said they were space cops.

End game spoilers still.
I know she came because she knew something would happen but that doesn't explain why it matters to her or why only she came if she represents the other alien groups. I guess the other aliens are absolutely poo poo at preventing anything then since all the rest of the story implies that we just got caught between their war and both sides were shooting everyone, you'd think that would be something that the other humans would notice! I don't remember Luxaar ever telling us who the other aliens were though.

One other things that has stuck with me, that feels like bad design from an MMOG is when missions take place near very powerful enemies and it's almost impossible to avoid pulling those enemies too.
The game simply doesn't let you pull enemies away from packs since for the most part they can all shoot through walls and mountains and etc, so you have to fight them where they're stood. There's never a point in the game where I feel I've got control of the fight and I can win something because I've used different tactics. It just doesn't really work that way!
Many missions - such as Turf War - become super difficult because of this since there's very strong baddies all around the ones you need to kill. I can never tell if this is deliberate - it doesn't feel like it is, but maybe I'm just reading it all wrong.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

Taear posted:

End game spoilers still.
I know she came because she knew something would happen but that doesn't explain why it matters to her or why only she came if she represents the other alien groups. I guess the other aliens are absolutely poo poo at preventing anything then since all the rest of the story implies that we just got caught between their war and both sides were shooting everyone, you'd think that would be something that the other humans would notice! I don't remember Luxaar ever telling us who the other aliens were though.

One other things that has stuck with me, that feels like bad design from an MMOG is when missions take place near very powerful enemies and it's almost impossible to avoid pulling those enemies too.
The game simply doesn't let you pull enemies away from packs since for the most part they can all shoot through walls and mountains and etc, so you have to fight them where they're stood. There's never a point in the game where I feel I've got control of the fight and I can win something because I've used different tactics. It just doesn't really work that way!
Many missions - such as Turf War - become super difficult because of this since there's very strong baddies all around the ones you need to kill. I can never tell if this is deliberate - it doesn't feel like it is, but maybe I'm just reading it all wrong.

He says something about "The Galactic Federation" getting in his way. And I think the humans didn't notice during the evacuation because they didn't know what was going on and were panicking. But if you rewatch the scene it's very clear The Ganglion turn all attention to earth and it's ships while the others try to intercept, they're just loving AWFUL at it.

I find it easier to pull away from groups if you attack the enemy and then quickly set your squad to Assemble (R + D Pad Down). This makes your teammates swarm around you and not leave your side. You can then run away until the monster is just out of de-aggroing range and then set your team to Concentrate Fire (R + D Pad Up) or Do As You Please (first option on the Start Button Drop Down List).

SloppyDoughnuts fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 25, 2016

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

He says something about "The Galactic Federation" getting in his way. And I think the humans didn't notice during the evacuation because they didn't know what was going on and were panicking. But if you rewatch the scene it's very clear The Ganglion turn all attention to earth and it's ships while the others try to intercept, they're just loving AWFUL at it.

The Man-on tell you that everyone is part of the Federation, even the Ganglion. It's one of the first things they say. They name the Federation too but it was too long ago for me to remember what the name was now! Maybe it's just another one of those things that don't QUITE fit. As others have said it does feel like the story went through quite a few re-writes.

Outside of end game stuff there's a lifehold quest that infers you got some contact from other ships, it'd be nice if it explored that a little more. I guess that's another sequel hook.

quote:

I find it easier to pull away from groups if you attack the enemy and then quickly set your squad to Assemble (R + D Pad Down). This makes your teammates swarm around you and not leave your side. You can then run away until the monster is just out of de-aggroing range and then set your team to Concentrate Fire (R + D Pad Up) or Do As You Please (first option on the Start Button Drop Down List).
The thing is that there's many places where that just won't work. Caves for example - the enemies can just shoot through the wall. They'll melee you through mountains too, which is what happened when I tried it with Turf War.

Taear fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Taear posted:

I think they may have been going for a stealth game vibe with those Ganglion outpost zones, except that there aren't any stealth game mechanics like cover or takedowns, so those areas don't really work at all.

• Locked thread