Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wireless switch was off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

KillHour posted:

Wireless switch was off?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Disable that poo poo in the BIOS. I bet the switch is positioned so that sliding a laptop into the cart flips it to 'off' as well.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Too bad I can't put this thread on my resume. :v:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

This was my immediate thought, but I threw it out because :psyduck:.

How the gently caress do so many people not know such basic troubleshooting?

Honestly, your employee should get some dick-prints in his forehead for missing that one, as well.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Nerdrock posted:

No. We get extended warranties that cover most of the expected lifespan of the laptops. We have about 50-60 laptop carts and it's not really been much of an issue.

When I worked for a school system the CIO took the extended warranty and accident coverage from the laptop carts off to instead order more laptops. Halfway into the year we had 5% that suffered non covered damage and another 5-8% that were covered, many that shouldn't have been. I found a better job at that time though so I have no idea how the rest of the year went but 1 year warranty on a laptop for children from K to 12 depending on the school was a great idea!

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

pixaal posted:

When I worked for a school system the CIO took the extended warranty and accident coverage from the laptop carts off to instead order more laptops. Halfway into the year we had 5% that suffered non covered damage and another 5-8% that were covered, many that shouldn't have been. I found a better job at that time though so I have no idea how the rest of the year went but 1 year warranty on a laptop for children from K to 12 depending on the school was a great idea!

We call in a lot more work on teacher laptops than we do student ones. Same with iPads.

Desktop hardware on the other hand....

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Sounds like you need a power management solution more than anything else, maybe with a decent Wake-on-Lan setup for Windows Updates and the like. Most of the major configuration management/deployment tools support this.

Edit: I'm specifically speaking to the battery/charging scenario. Runtime is more of a concern than battery charge, even if those laptops are using some form of sleep mode.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 25, 2016

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Your tech should know this, but maybe he thought the teachers would check this, make sure to show him how to check the switch. We had a policy of showing the teachers every time they put a ticket in for the issue. Most of them eventually got it. We also showed the principals because it was a very common issue. We had 3 people for over a dozen schools spread out in a 10 mile radius. We didn't schedule days to go to a school, apparently if there is a major issue this means a day would be skipped or the issue would be put on hold. Laptop carts were supposed to be very high priority since CIO wanted to replace all the desktops with them eventually. There was always at least 10-15% of the laptops with an open ticket almost always switch is turned off or teacher didn't plug the ethernet cable in for the wireless.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nerdrock posted:

We call in a lot more work on teacher laptops than we do student ones. Same with iPads.

Are they tubs of garlic dip?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I always figured that the amount of time I would have to spend managing battery charge would be worth more than the battery lifespan saved by doing so.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Are they tubs of garlic dip?

Nah, this picture is a couple years old, but I'm pretty sure those are Green Mountain Triple Black Diamond K-Cups.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Entropic posted:

I always figured that the amount of time I would have to spend managing battery charge would be worth more than the battery lifespan saved by doing so.

This is why business-oriented laptops generally come with an adjustable charge cap setting. Set it to 80-85% and forget it?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Nerdrock posted:

A ticket came in: "I keep trying to type my password 'dicksex' but the letters are coming out all wrong on the screen"

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Knormal posted:

A ticket came in: "I keep trying to type my password 'dicksex' but the letters are coming out all wrong on the screen"

Then, when I try to reset my password, it asks me for the make of my first car. I type in Yugo, but that's coming out wrong too.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Knormal posted:

I just thought it was your normal abused keyboard with missing keys until this post.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Any quick and dirty PC freeware you guys would recommend for diagramming network racks instead of Visio?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Tell me that everyone was impressed and happy with you.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Have any radio stations burned down yet?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

A :toot: came in

I've been working as the only IT person in an office for a little over 6 months. As a temp. The execs finally got around to posting my job for full time employment. I had my interview for the position today...

And my boss couldn't stop laughing long enough to finish reading the job description. He has to do it for everybody that gets interviewed (interviews are recorded), but since I know the job better than he does, he found the situation so funny that he couldn't speak for almost five minutes.

So, I'm pretty sure I'll have the job when interviews are done? I know they have been happy with me here.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

FireSight posted:

A :toot: came in

I've been working as the only IT person in an office for a little over 6 months. As a temp. The execs finally got around to posting my job for full time employment. I had my interview for the position today...

And my boss couldn't stop laughing long enough to finish reading the job description. He has to do it for everybody that gets interviewed (interviews are recorded), but since I know the job better than he does, he found the situation so funny that he couldn't speak for almost five minutes.

So, I'm pretty sure I'll have the job when interviews are done? I know they have been happy with me here.

If they actually interviewed you yes, they are probably thinking about it. Pay attention to salary though, your pay usually goes down when you sign on full time. I saw someone I graduated with take a temp job on full time and end up with 25% less then their contract and benefits didn't kick in until a year into the job, after being hired full time. Read what you sign, don't assume they wont take this as a chance to gently caress you over because people will just accept it. It's perfectly fine to tell them that they need to match what they are paying you now or ask for a raise or a bonus vacation week.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

pixaal posted:

If they actually interviewed you yes, they are probably thinking about it. Pay attention to salary though, your pay usually goes down when you sign on full time. I saw someone I graduated with take a temp job on full time and end up with 25% less then their contract and benefits didn't kick in until a year into the job, after being hired full time. Read what you sign, don't assume they wont take this as a chance to gently caress you over because people will just accept it. It's perfectly fine to tell them that they need to match what they are paying you now or ask for a raise or a bonus vacation week.

Luckily this is an awesome place, with immediate benefits that are really really good. I love working for a nonprofit that supports it's employees.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

A ticket came in:

Subject: What email address does US inbound Sales calls end up getting sent to?

The body was of course completely blank. I still haven't figured out what this guy is trying to ask us.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Kaethela posted:

A ticket came in:

Subject: What email address does US inbound Sales calls end up getting sent to?

The body was of course completely blank. I still haven't figured out what this guy is trying to ask us.

Yes. Ticket closed.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Sounds like he wants to know who's on the us-sales@company.com distro list.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Can anybody recommend a good source of desks? I'm looking for an extra one for our office, L-shaped (backwards L) and with a hutch or shelves. Bonus if they have lockable doors. I'll bring a tape measure tomorrow to get a better idea of size.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I tend to either get the higher end Ikea stuff (Galant, Bekant - the stuff with the metal frame) if I'm buying new for an office-ish environment, or go for used Steelcase/Herman Miller if it's actually going in an office and going to get abused daily.

Or new Steelcase FrameOne if :homebrew:. I think you might struggle to get a hutch/shelving type arrangement unless you buy into one of those system desks with partition and the accessories that attach to them. Hutches tend to be a reserve of the Staples falls-apart-if-you-look-at-it-wrong home office desk.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Day 1 of an install complete. Those E48s are such a bitch to rack even empty. But they're dense as hell so that stack is 288 TB raw and ~252TB useable depending on how it's configured. Those are 6x QLogic 5800 fibre switches up there for anybody wondering.

Though this is a weird install. We sold it to a rental company who is renting it back to one of our clients but we're doing the install and config. Thus is the life of an MSP/VAR.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 26, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

pr0digal posted:

Day 1 of an install complete. Those E48s are such a bitch to rack even empty. But they're dense as hell so that stack is 288 TB raw and ~252TB useable depending on how it's configured. Those are 6x QLogic 5800 fibre switches up there for anybody wondering.

Though this is a weird install. We sold it to a rental company who is renting it back to one of our clients but we're doing the install and config. Thus is the life of an MSP/VAR.

I used to have the NexSan guys pressuring me to sell those all the time. Never met anyone that actually bit, though. How do you like em?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

KillHour posted:

I used to have the NexSan guys pressuring me to sell those all the time. Never met anyone that actually bit, though. How do you like em?

Pretty great. We've installed E18s, E48s and E60s (both SAS and SATA variants) across multiple clients. Rails are dead simple though they look sketchy as hell until you slide the unit into them.

It's easy to find a failed drive (pretty rare I've found) since the drawers slide out and there are arrows indicating which drive failed. The drawers sliding out and the drives top loading is really my favorite part, so much easier than Promise. Web GUI is quick and not lovely (again looking at you Promise).

The cache batteries fail every so often but Nexsan support is on point. We also sell Quantum QXS storage and are always looking into other storage options but the Nexsan units have been rock solid. Literally. Heavy fuckers.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

pr0digal posted:

Pretty great. We've installed E18s, E48s and E60s (both SAS and SATA variants) across multiple clients. Rails are dead simple though they look sketchy as hell until you slide the unit into them.

It's easy to find a failed drive (pretty rare I've found) since the drawers slide out and there are arrows indicating which drive failed. The drawers sliding out and the drives top loading is really my favorite part, so much easier than Promise. Web GUI is quick and not lovely (again looking at you Promise).

The cache batteries fail every so often but Nexsan support is on point. We also sell Quantum QXS storage and are always looking into other storage options but the Nexsan units have been rock solid. Literally. Heavy fuckers.

What do you think about all-flash arrays for tier 1 storage?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

KillHour posted:

What do you think about all-flash arrays for tier 1 storage?

I think we have an all-flash array in our testing rack in the main office but I don't know what it is. For dedicated metadata arrays (like in StorNext) I think it's a great idea.

The QXS-424 we have in that rack I'm pretty sure is 100% SSD since it's dedicated metadata though I have to look at it, we may have config'd it differently.

Though it might also be populated with 900 GB high speed SAS drives, depends on what the client was willing to pay for. I vaguely remember seeing 900 GB

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 26, 2016

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks Ants posted:

I tend to either get the higher end Ikea stuff (Galant, Bekant - the stuff with the metal frame) if I'm buying new for an office-ish environment, or go for used Steelcase/Herman Miller if it's actually going in an office and going to get abused daily.

Or new Steelcase FrameOne if :homebrew:. I think you might struggle to get a hutch/shelving type arrangement unless you buy into one of those system desks with partition and the accessories that attach to them. Hutches tend to be a reserve of the Staples falls-apart-if-you-look-at-it-wrong home office desk.

Thanks, I should also mention that this will be mainly a workbench for repairing/imaging laptops/desktops/tablets, and the shelves and drawers would be storage for smaller/medium items. I'll take a look at those and I'm open to other suggestions too.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Alighieri posted:

I just thought it was your normal abused keyboard with missing keys until this post.
I did too.
But I also saw the timg and not the full image.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

An announcement of the death of a colleague came in...

...in Comic Sans :negative:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Not sure where else to post this, so I'll put it here.

The higher ups really want off-site backup of the SQL databases for our main POS/ERP/EDI software. Problem is I don't really see anyway to make it a possibility, at least not without throwing a bunch of money at it... The location where the databases are at has a 20/10 Fiber connection. We could possibly get 50/50 or higher, but the ISP REALLY gouges business customers on price. (50/50 is about $550 per month).

The server is MS SQL 2008, with 3 databases that need backed up. The ERP software company manages the SQL database and only provides us with hourly log backups and a full nightly compressed backup. The full backups are around 70GB total in size and slowly increasing every week. Assuming best case with 10Mbps, it would take around 20 hours to upload that... and still 5 hours at 50Mbps.

I've not been able to come up with any workable solution. Any ideas?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Wachter posted:

An announcement of the death of a colleague came in...

...in Comic Sans :negative:

http://i.imgur.com/JTe8qLT.gifv

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

stevewm posted:

Copy the backups to tape or a flash drives and carry them off site? Low tech and a bit of extra work, but cheap.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

stevewm posted:

Not sure where else to post this, so I'll put it here.

The higher ups really want off-site backup of the SQL databases for our main POS/ERP/EDI software. Problem is I don't really see anyway to make it a possibility, at least not without throwing a bunch of money at it... The location where the databases are at has a 20/10 Fiber connection. We could possibly get 50/50 or higher, but the ISP REALLY gouges business customers on price. (50/50 is about $550 per month).

The server is MS SQL 2008, with 3 databases that need backed up. The ERP software company manages the SQL database and only provides us with hourly log backups and a full nightly compressed backup. The full backups are around 70GB total in size and slowly increasing every week. Assuming best case with 10Mbps, it would take around 20 hours to upload that... and still 5 hours at 50Mbps.

Put backup on disk / tape, take disk / tape out of the building?

Else: How much would it cost the business if you completely lost the database? Is it worth more than $550/m?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Alternatively, do the full backup copy over the weekend and then do differential or incremental backups during the weekdays.

• Locked thread