Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Klyith posted:

This is very likely the problem.

When looking in the game files to poke at some modding potential, I noticed that equipment has a setting on it called "MinDifficulty", which gets higher with bigger Mk versions. Easy to guess that is the thing that adjusts difficulty for random missions. But most Mk1 and Mk2 gear also have a "MaxDifficulty" number, which is likely enforcing a cap on difficulty & payout.

So you need to either downgrade your ship for long enough to get the money for Mk3+ turrets, or sell other equipment (got expensive components or a guild cargo hold?)

This makes a lot of sense and it looks like what I'll have to do to start getting higher difficulty missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Turns out that grabbing a Barracuda and stuffing it with MK4 turrets was a great idea. My broadsides aren't nearly effective but it doesn't even matter when I can tear everything apart by just floating around.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Get the broadsides that have no cooldown and just slide on up to capital ships and mash your broadside button as fast as your reflexes allow and even the barracuda will destroy anything it is parked next to.

The Belgian Devil
May 3, 2008

Ca plane pour moi
Yeah I'm driving a Sturville with all Mk4 pulse stuff except for one mining laser. I can go side to side with anything short of a dreadnought. For dreadnoughts I can just stay out of their firing arcs since I am so much more maneuverable and smaller. I bet it's even easier in a Barracuda and the added turret probably more than makes up for the smaller broadsides.

Probably going to swap out the mining laser and replace it with something better though. It does a lot of damage but it's short ranged and seems to take much longer to reload and recharge than the claimed 2 seconds. I had a Mk.1 Viridian laser that seemed a lot more useful. I think I'll replace it with another pulse turret and put an Ion turret amidships for extra shield bashing.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

The Belgian Devil posted:

Yeah I'm driving a Sturville with all Mk4 pulse stuff except for one mining laser. I can go side to side with anything short of a dreadnought. For dreadnoughts I can just stay out of their firing arcs since I am so much more maneuverable and smaller. I bet it's even easier in a Barracuda and the added turret probably more than makes up for the smaller broadsides.

Probably going to swap out the mining laser and replace it with something better though. It does a lot of damage but it's short ranged and seems to take much longer to reload and recharge than the claimed 2 seconds. I had a Mk.1 Viridian laser that seemed a lot more useful. I think I'll replace it with another pulse turret and put an Ion turret amidships for extra shield bashing.

The Barracuda's speed means you can get out of firing arcs quickly and the turning speed means you can constantly shift your weakest shields around so it's quite effective even against dreadnoughts unless they are decked out in all top shelf beam weapons. Those Viridian lasers definitely seem to be the best beams but they're hard to find. I have 2 MK2's that I don't have equipped right now because it looks like whoever said "having all high tier weapons gives you better quests" was right.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Just a heads up, Dreadnought has been adding quite a few people to their playtests, you can sign up here: https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/splash/

For those who don't know about it, it's a mixture of TF2-like gameplay/classes except in giant Rebel Galaxy style ships. There's tons of videos on the tubes showcasing gameplay.

It even has a game mode where if you die, you come back as a support fighter to try and assist your team.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Thor-Stryker posted:

Just a heads up, Dreadnought has been adding quite a few people to their playtests, you can sign up here: https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/splash/

For those who don't know about it, it's a mixture of TF2-like gameplay/classes except in giant Rebel Galaxy style ships. There's tons of videos on the tubes showcasing gameplay.

It even has a game mode where if you die, you come back as a support fighter to try and assist your team.

This looks like good fun. Signed up. Thanks!

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Game was really fun, but once I got my Radovich from the merchant's guild I basically stopped upgrading to other ships and just improved my equipment more and more and suddenly the story was over :saddowns:

I started messing around with Dreadnoughts in the post game, flying a Sorcerer right now because it looks cool, but I just found the Radovich charming. Space big rig with guns.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Psykmoe posted:

Game was really fun, but once I got my Radovich from the merchant's guild I basically stopped upgrading to other ships and just improved my equipment more and more and suddenly the story was over :saddowns:

I started messing around with Dreadnoughts in the post game, flying a Sorcerer right now because it looks cool, but I just found the Radovich charming. Space big rig with guns.

I was just about to ask about the Radovich. I spent a lot of the game in the Barracuda, how does the Radovich compare? I'm in a Sturville now, and I definitely notice the turn difference. It really like the increased broadsides but I think I'm going to get a Radovich for still more broadside power!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I also would like to know about the Radovich. I can't quite afford it right now, but I'm considering upgrading to it because of it's capacity and speed. How's the turn radius?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I know at some point I'm going to get a Wizard because that ship just looks silly and great.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
I just got this game! I'm still in the starting ship. I really like the game so far.

I'm a little confused by some stuff. When I shoot bad guys with my beam turrets it seems like they get wiped out in a second, but when I hit them with pulse broadsides it seems like it doesn't do much damage by comparison (both are Mk2). I'm also not clear on the "health bar" of the enemy ships. Does that represent shields? Does the little icon with the 4 quadrants represent their shields? In most of my fights so far it's felt like my weapons have no effect right up until that bar suddenly drops very fast and they die. What should I be looking for when I am shooting aliems.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Haledjian posted:

I just got this game! I'm still in the starting ship. I really like the game so far.

I'm a little confused by some stuff. When I shoot bad guys with my beam turrets it seems like they get wiped out in a second, but when I hit them with pulse broadsides it seems like it doesn't do much damage by comparison (both are Mk2). I'm also not clear on the "health bar" of the enemy ships. Does that represent shields? Does the little icon with the 4 quadrants represent their shields? In most of my fights so far it's felt like my weapons have no effect right up until that bar suddenly drops very fast and they die. What should I be looking for when I am shooting aliems.
Blue quadrants are shields on that side. White quadrants are armor plating on that side. Hull only goes down when both of those are depleted on the side you are striking.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

zedprime posted:

Blue quadrants are shields on that side. White quadrants are armor plating on that side. Hull only goes down when both of those are depleted on the side you are striking.

Oh okay--so the big single bar on the enemies is the hull?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Haledjian posted:

Oh okay--so the big single bar on the enemies is the hull?
Yeah. Shield and armor quadrants fade out as you do damage to them as well.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Bought this since people were saying it was a good game but what they didn't say was you will be constantly reminded of the most basic controls every 5 seconds. Mining an asteroid? BIG popup saying 'you can switch to broadside to control the camera better'. ALL THE loving TIME. And the female voice constantly yapping at you every time you do anything. Great soundtrack but it doesn't excuse the other stuff; regretfully getting a refund until that poo poo is fixed.

And it bitches at you every time you disengage warp without it autodisengaging it for you. Selective disabling of voice updates please.. and the hint popups.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 23, 2016

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Take a deep breath. It's going to be alright.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The lack of UI polish does hurt this game.

My pet hate is the stupid zoom-in animation when you close the system map, which prevents you from seeing anything for 2 seconds, during which time the game is not paused.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

GotLag posted:

The lack of UI polish does hurt this game.

My pet hate is the stupid zoom-in animation when you close the system map, which prevents you from seeing anything for 2 seconds, during which time the game is not paused.

Isn't the dev team just a couple of dudes on an inhouse engine? I reckon its polished enough for a genuine low budget indy title.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The tutorials go away eventually, I'm not sure what triggers it. I think the first time you jump to a new system?

In general I think the on-screen UI is fine, aside from a couple smallish things. Mostly having your own shield and armor bars have a more absolute indicator than the fade-out effect they use.

The map zoom in effect is cool, I could see that the 2 seconds of unpaused time might be annoying if you're in a fight but I don't really see the use case for consulting the map during combat. OTOH while in warp it's actually a useful effect, the way it re-orients back down to the system plane gives you a good frame of reference.

Rygar201 posted:

I was just about to ask about the Radovich. I spent a lot of the game in the Barracuda, how does the Radovich compare? I'm in a Sturville now, and I definitely notice the turn difference. It really like the increased broadsides but I think I'm going to get a Radovich for still more broadside power!
Radovich is interesting but not amazing. It's one of the best ships in the game for making money with merchant guild missions, the Barracuda is better for dead drops but the Radovich is great at blockade deliveries. Plus it has the cargo for multiple missions at once.

In combat it's a mixed bag. It has got speed and it has got weapons, though 4 side mounted turrets aren't ideal. But it's a bit sloppy IMO. It's a big target for incoming fire. It's not good at ducking fire by hiding behind a big ship's backside, and you don't get destroyer range boosts.

So not a great combat ship, especially for the price, but a good money-making ship.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Hey! I don't really post in this thread but I made this if anyone wants it:

Rebel Curse, a Curse of Monkey Island Arrangement for rebel galaxy

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Ambaire posted:

Bought this since people were saying it was a good game but what they didn't say was you will be constantly reminded of the most basic controls every 5 seconds. Mining an asteroid? BIG popup saying 'you can switch to broadside to control the camera better'. ALL THE loving TIME. And the female voice constantly yapping at you every time you do anything. Great soundtrack but it doesn't excuse the other stuff; regretfully getting a refund until that poo poo is fixed.

And it bitches at you every time you disengage warp without it autodisengaging it for you. Selective disabling of voice updates please.. and the hint popups.

The good news is it does stop doing that as you upgrade the ship. There were a lot of complaints on steam around release, the dev said he'd look into it, not much has changed.

So yeah, it's obnoxious but the game doesn't explain it's only going to be like that for the first sector basically.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I've died more in my new Minotaur thanks I did in my Sturville or Baracuda combined :( Only doing missions that involve being surrounded by a ring of enemies with impaired engines

MK V shields, armor, deflectors too!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
If you haven't already, get null-grav thrusters and whatever the merchant guild upgrade is that reduces the effect of engine EMP.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

GotLag posted:

If you haven't already, get null-grav thrusters and whatever the merchant guild upgrade is that reduces the effect of engine EMP.

I have null gravs but haven't gotten emp ablation yet, I've got two of the merc Guildford broadside things quipped, and uhh some other stuff

Fenom
Mar 23, 2007

Rygar201 posted:

I've died more in my new Minotaur thanks I did in my Sturville or Baracuda combined :( Only doing missions that involve being surrounded by a ring of enemies with impaired engines

MK V shields, armor, deflectors too!

You should downgrade back to the Sturville and use that extra cash for MK6 defense poo poo, if you look at the difference between 5 and 6 it is insane.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Rakthar posted:

'it does stop doing that'

The reminder popups, the voice status updates, or both?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Fenom posted:

You should downgrade back to the Sturville and use that extra cash for MK6 defense poo poo, if you look at the difference between 5 and 6 it is insane.

I haven't seen any MK six stuff yet :(

Fenom
Mar 23, 2007
Gear is system based, just jump system to system until you find one with MK6

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ambaire posted:

The reminder popups, the voice status updates, or both?
The tip reminders.

ship computer voices that tell you you've done something after you press the button to do that thing are like one of the most basic tropes of scifi spaceship games. so if you couldn't stand that in rebel galaxy you should probably avoid the entire genre.

Fenom posted:

Gear is system based, just jump system to system until you find one with MK6
or just open the sector map and find the star with the highest difficulty rating. gear being sold is matched to the gear used by NPCs in the system

The Belgian Devil
May 3, 2008

Ca plane pour moi

Rygar201 posted:

I have null gravs but haven't gotten emp ablation yet, I've got two of the merc Guildford broadside things quipped, and uhh some other stuff

EMP Ablation will change your life. Well, maybe not, but it makes those merchant's guild missions where you end up surrounded by Greel Leechers a whole lot more bearable.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Klyith posted:

The tip reminders.

ship computer voices that tell you you've done something after you press the button to do that thing are like one of the most basic tropes of scifi spaceship games. so if you couldn't stand that in rebel galaxy you should probably avoid the entire genre.

I must respectfully disagree. I've played quite a number of sci-fi spaceship games and only one of them (Elite: Dangerous) has a ship computer voice, but it is nowhere near as talkative and more pleasant than the one in Rebel Galaxy. I may give it another try now that I know the reminder popups go away eventually.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
this game :allears:

In the course of "trying to dock at a station" so I could save and quit, I ran into a pirate dreadnought, killed it, then fired up my warp drive again and got dropped out for a pirate lord, killed that guy too, then finally made it to a station. I wasn't really expecting to pull like 300k in bounty money in an attempt to save my game, but I'm not complaining. Apparently I picked the most popular path from a to b the galaxy has ever seen. And of course I'm running Mk5 gear and the pirate drops a Mk2 weapon. Thanks dude.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I want a Viridian Beam one day. Come on game. I like my MK V Neutrons and Particle Lasers, give me some pretty green ones for maximum Space Rave combat! :catdrugs:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

I want a Viridian Beam one day. Come on game. I like my MK V Neutrons and Particle Lasers, give me some pretty green ones for maximum Space Rave combat! :catdrugs:

I beat the game last night and I never got a Viridian Beam, despite killing the gently caress out of the dudes who use it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I got one Viridian beam while playing.

It was a Mk2 at a point I was already decked out in Mk6.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
There's a mod which sets Virdians as buyable but I'm not sure how it works - the instructions I saw were like "extract all these files and change them" as opposed to "just download this file" and I haven't looked into it beyond that. I haven't even gotten Mk6 gear so I don't feel the need to make those buyable. Yet!

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 25, 2016

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Psion posted:

There's a mod which sets Virdians as buyable but I'm not sure how it works - the instructions I saw were like "extract all these files and change them" as opposed to "just download this file" and I haven't looked into it beyond that. I haven't even gotten Mk6 gear so I don't feel the need to make those buyable. Yet!

just scroll down to the dropbox links for this guy's mod, and extract the "data#.pak" file into RebelGalaxy\PAKS.

Simple mods for the game are not terribly difficult, but the problem is that having multiple mods work at the same time is pretty difficult. It's very hard to avoid collisions where both mods want to change the same file but only the last one will take effect. So the couple guys making mods are also including their source files in case people want to combine them.

Ambaire posted:

I must respectfully disagree. I've played quite a number of sci-fi spaceship games and only one of them (Elite: Dangerous) has a ship computer voice, but it is nowhere near as talkative and more pleasant than the one in Rebel Galaxy. I may give it another try now that I know the reminder popups go away eventually.
I can take a stab at a mod for reduced computer chat if you want.

(To be honest there are one or two of them that annoy even me, particularly "engines impaired / no longer impaired". Combat with guys spamming leach missiles at you starts sounding like a broken record.)

The Belgian Devil
May 3, 2008

Ca plane pour moi

Ambaire posted:

My favorite thing like that was in Privateer II, where the ship voice was this stuffy English guy, and whenever you got too near a planet's atmosphere it would say "You aaare getting too close; you'll burn up".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Are there any mods with new ships n junk?

• Locked thread