Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Not trying to start a derail on sharing your salary info etc., but don't share your salary with Robert Half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Not trying to start a derail on sharing your salary info etc., but don't share your salary with Robert Half.
This includes accepting any position through Robert Half where they know what you make. They can and will try to chase down someone up the org chart and figure out a way to replace you with someone cheaper.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
And if you must try to get a job with them, understand that they want references not to check you out, but for leads for their sales people. They will require references that are hiring managers, and will want them first thing. They might not even have a job for you, but will bring you in to fill out paperwork just to get those leads.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
I got a new job in the same industry.

Things are so much better I sometimes worry there is some horrific gotcha to be exposed at any moment.

Until such a time should occur, I am going to enjoy this sense of calm and relaxation.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Vulture Culture posted:

This includes accepting any position through Robert Half where they know what you make. They can and will try to chase down someone up the org chart and figure out a way to replace you with someone cheaper.

SubjectVerbObject posted:

And if you must try to get a job with them, understand that they want references not to check you out, but for leads for their sales people. They will require references that are hiring managers, and will want them first thing. They might not even have a job for you, but will bring you in to fill out paperwork just to get those leads.

Quoting this for the truth. They are a truly awful company. Harassing "references" for any info on available positions and contacting current workplaces as soon as they see you looking for something.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Before:

:barf:

After:

:allears:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Nnnnnnggggg

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I give it 6 months before it looks like the first picture again.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

KillHour posted:

I give it 6 months before it looks like the first picture again.

:fuckoff:

no sir. :p All ports are lit, documented and tagged.

(Until we rip it all out in 2017 and do a complete building revamp) It'll be pretty until April of next year.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

DigitalMocking posted:

Before:

:barf:

After:

:allears:

Carpet hasn't changed :colbert:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

OK I'm requesting fluorescent green power cables.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Does anyone or have you ever seen Yammer used in real life?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Tried it, it died because it never hit critical mass - EAs and department managers kept sending all-staff emails instead.

I don't really have any issues with the actual product, though. It's free with Office 365 so you might as well try it.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Tab8715 posted:

What's Yammer?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
It's Microsoft's solution to social media for business.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

A derogatory word for describing someone who just won't shut up: the perfect name for a business communications app.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Tab8715 posted:

We have it at our company. No one gives a poo poo about it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

We have it for some of our local Microsoft-oriented user groups. I have yet to see a business run it on purpose.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so I've been in the IT field for about a year, and I was trying to kind of think about where I want to end up

I've kind of explored some areas and I was kind of curious what you guys recommend I do.

I'm interested in both Networking or Big Data type stuff.

For networking, I have a CCNA (though I'm a bit rusty). I really enjoyed configuring routers / switches in my test environment when I did it. Its just when I look in DFW, its like NOC Analyst Level 1 3+ years of experience. Even when I apply I don't really get any hits.

I've always been interested in big data type stuff, but I don't really know where to begin with that. I think managing large scale data would be pretty interesting, but I'm guessing this is not something that is easy to get into. I'd be willing to pick up the knowledge as much as I can before I start looking for these kinds of positions, but I didn't know what the market was like for them.

Any advice on either field would be fine with me, I'd kind of like to start picking a path and just going with it.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

so I've been in the IT field for about a year
I have a CCNA ... DFW ... Even when I apply I don't really get any hits.

Kinda surprised to hear this. Are you sure your resume is in good shape? Doing semi-decent cover letters?

The DFW market's great right now, though I have no experience applying for a CCNA-level networking position (hoping to finish ICND2 within like 2 months).

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I actually get pretty good feedback on the formatting of my resume / cover letter. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong type of positions?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you got the CCNA after a year in IT as a result of learning stuff and not just rote learning then you might be insanely good.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

If you got the CCNA after a year in IT as a result of learning stuff and not just rote learning then you might be insanely good.

It was mostly the latter to be 100% honest. I wanted to learn it, so I bought cisco switches / routers, a textbook, and a commandline bible thing and did labs / sims etc

I did not do it as a result of my job, because unfortunately, it isn't a part of my responsibilities

just trying to learn things I'm interested in

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, that's really the only thing that jumps out at me, that a CCNA after just a year of experience is relatively quick. But if you got it you've got it. I'd just keep applying to NOC / Jr. Network Admin type stuff, something should bite before too long.

Might depend on what sorts of employers you're looking at. An MSP or a smaller company is probably going to care less about being able to tick a box in terms of your years of experience than a larger company might.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
gotcha, so be patient and just keep working and learning stuff

sounds fair

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I'm always surprised at how many resumes I have to spit out to get any feedback. Both of my job search periods required about 20 applications before I was contacted, and I don't remember applying to either place I went with because it took them so long to get back to me.

I've come to accept that IT isn't a field where you pick and choose where you want to work until you're 10 years in, but rather you go to the people who want you working there. Ymmv.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I've come to accept that IT isn't a field where you pick and choose where you want to work until you're 10 years in, but rather you go to the people who want you working there. Ymmv.

I picked and chose where I wanted to work when I first started off in the industry, worked out pretty drat well.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
we have yammer, there was a company wide push to use it for a year straight - they did ceo updates only on yammer, lot of corp comms just on there. it died because nobody read them

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Tab8715 posted:

Have it and I'm an active user. Pretty popular at our company, about 35k users (100k plus employees overall). Not sure how many active off the top of my head. There are a lot of valid use cases for the tool.

I'm about to get on a plane so I can PM you about it if you have any specific questions or I can post some stuff back into this thread.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Ugh, hiring entry level sucks. Its that time again when I open the floodgates for what I would call a pretty premimium entry level job.

Benefits
Salaried, 40 hours max.
Paid holidays and 2 weeks vacation.
Relatively stress free environment in a small company.
No micromanagement.
Learning stuff is encouraged and paid for.
Healthcare premium paid by the company.
50k in the DFW area

Requirements

Spent a year doing anything IT related. School, cert/certs, another crappy IT job, anything. Show us you are trying to do IT things.

The Job

Desktop Support/helpdesk all by yourself for about 100 people. Averages 10 tickets a day on site.

I am pretty certain my entire week is going to be filled with me getting a heard ache how incredibly hard it is to find someone who isn't grossly overqualified, that people in my office are going to be able to stand. Its the type of entry level job I would have done back flips for when I started in the work force. :smith:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sickening posted:

Ugh, hiring entry level sucks. Its that time again when I open the floodgates for what I would call a pretty premimium entry level job.

Benefits
Salaried, 40 hours max.
No micromanagement.
50k in the DFW area

Requirements

Spent a year doing anything IT related. School, cert/certs, another crappy IT job, anything. Show us you are trying to do IT things.

The Job

Desktop Support/helpdesk all by yourself for about 100 people. Averages 10 tickets a day on site.

I am pretty certain my entire week is going to be filled with me getting a heard ache how incredibly hard it is to find someone who isn't grossly overqualified, that people in my office are going to be able to stand. Its the type of entry level job I would have done back flips for when I started in the work force. :smith:

I have just the guy who would love this job and be perfect but I doubt he wants to move from Houston to Dallas

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What area? Nevermind

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Just North of DFW airport.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 25, 2016

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sickening posted:

Benefits
Salaried, 40 hours max.
No micromanagement.
50k in the DFW area

Requirements

The Job

Get to know the teachers at your local community college system. Once upon a time I was a bright kid at a CC that would have been perfect for a job like this, and would have killed for the opportunity. There's usually one or two really good people in the courses at any given time

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Get to know the teachers at your local community college system. Once upon a time I was a bright kid at a CC that would have been perfect for a job like this, and would have killed for the opportunity. There's usually one or two really good people in the courses at any given time

I reached out to every community college in the area and posted it on their website workforce things. It was shocking how ignored I was by every one of them.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sickening posted:

I reached out to every community college in the area and posted it on their website workforce things. It was shocking how ignored I was by every one of them.

drat, that's a shame

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Sickening posted:

I've had better luck going through computer science professors than anyone who's actually supposed to be involved with job placement

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

I've had better luck going through computer science professors than anyone who's actually supposed to be involved with job placement

Which is confusing considering that there are people that work at this universities that are paid to practically do only this. Goes to show you how these parts of university are more for show only.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

We have it at our company. No one gives a poo poo about it.

Same. I think it was part of the O365 package for work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Sickening posted:

Which is confusing considering that there are people that work at this universities that are paid to practically do only this. Goes to show you how these parts of university are more for show only.
Eeeeh? Different people on campus typically have different sets of contacts, and relationships with different groups of students. You want to get the right ones. If you're hiring temps or museum curators or nursing aides or something, the career people are usually pretty good. They usually aren't the ones you want to talk to about STEM fields, unless you're talking to an engineering school.