Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

From what I've read the Epstein drive has been in use and driven colonization of the solar system for 150 years. So presumably Mars has been colonized for at least 200 years. It has a population of 4 billion.

I've ordered four of the books because I'm finding the setting really interesting (and I read a few spoilers on the wiki and now I'm really interested).

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
'Billions on Mars' shouldn't be the thing that makes the timescale sound ridiculous. I don't think a human population of ~30 billion by that time is even a high estimate by our current population growth projections.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The America's were discovered 500 years ago and colonization began almost immediately. Currently the population of the America's is a total of ~950 million. Mars is much more remote, requires expensive upkeep and is completely inhospitable to human life so 4 billion requires astronomical migration and birth rates, even accounting for modern (and future) medicine, if we assume a 2-300 year timeline.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Boing posted:

'Billions on Mars' shouldn't be the thing that makes the timescale sound ridiculous. I don't think a human population of ~30 billion by that time is even a high estimate by our current population growth projections.

You have to move those people, though. Even in the Expanse setting moving, say, ten million people from Earth to Mars each year would be an enormous undertaking, and even that huge amount of migration is only a billion people in a century.

These questions are why they haven't specified a year in the books. :v: I don't know why they said anything in the show.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Boing posted:

Well, there's one of two ways people get there; either they move there, or they're born there. Moving billions of people, even with the future-tech space drive they have (does it work for surface-to-orbit launches as well?), is a colossal undertaking. Birthing a billion people also takes time. I'm not going to say it's 'ridiculous', but it's certainly an impressive achievement.

e:f,b

As for 30 billion, it depends on when you think the total population is eventually going to plateau, due to resource scarcity and/or people deciding to limit how many children they have. We already have some regions on Earth where the birth rate has declined below the replacement rate. Some places make up for it with immigration, others don't.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
They haven't stated a population for Mars in the show though so they could shrink that figure for realism if they wanted to.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

the future-tech space drive they have (does it work for surface-to-orbit launches as well?)

At least some of the launches out of deep gravity wells involve big railguns, if I recall correctly, but I'm not sure it's necessary. A ship that can accelerate over 1g should be able to lift off on its own, no?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Rocinante can take off and land on planets. The big ships can't, as far as we know.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Toast Museum posted:

At least some of the launches out of deep gravity wells involve big railguns, if I recall correctly, but I'm not sure it's necessary. A ship that can accelerate over 1g should be able to lift off on its own, no?

Probably, although what made me hesitant was not knowing how the Epstein drive behaves in an atmosphere, i.e. does the specific impulse go to complete poo poo at sea-level atmospheric pressure? does it wreck nearby infrastructure through heat and shock? But it sounds like it's usable in atmosphere.

Grand Fromage posted:

The Rocinante can take off and land on planets. The big ships can't, as far as we know.

Okay, cool.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I don't know if it's ever been made clear what they use for fuel. There's a lot of talk about water and air shortages, but energy has always seemed plentiful, especially considering the insane energy just going into ship acceleration. The books mention 'fuel pellets' a few times, but they're not supposed to be dirt cheap or anything. I guess they're mining deuterium from the same ice rocks they get their water and air from?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Well, the thing with the Epstein drive is they avoid specifics on how it works. The official answer to how does the Epstein drive work is "very well".

All that I remember being stated in the books is:

It's hugely efficient compared with the old engines, which allows for ships to stay under constant acceleration and have long range. They mention a ship like the Rocinante can cross the entire solar system a few times without needing to refuel.

It uses a fusion reactor for its power. The fusion reactor uses lasers.

There are two resources: the "fuel pellets" for the fusion, and reaction mass which gets shot out the engine for the actual thrust.

It can be used as a short range weapon--you don't want to be anywhere near the engine plume. It is bright enough to be detected anywhere in the system if you're under thrust.

There's some sort of magnetic thrust coil involved.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Probably, although what made me hesitant was not knowing how the Epstein drive behaves in an atmosphere, i.e. does the specific impulse go to complete poo poo at sea-level atmospheric pressure? does it wreck nearby infrastructure through heat and shock? But it sounds like it's usable in atmosphere.

Well I don't think you'd need to kick off at full thrust in an atmosphere. You could get by with enough delta V to escape orbit and get to a safe distance before you begin the acceleration burn that requires the whole shock seat thing. The drive works for interplanetary travel because the efficiency allows it to burn for the entire duration of the trip at huge emission but there's no need to emit the power of a small star when you're taking off Earth.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
This is my favorite show now, and I'm super happy there is a legit kickass scifi show on TV again. I've been telling everyone I know to watch this.

The last time I liked a scifi show this much my baby got stomped on and crushed. SGU why. Why baby why.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Doesn't it also involve burning to a half way point, then flipping and decelerating an equal amount?

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This site is really good at explaining the mechanics in the series.

Epstien Drive: http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/enginelist.php#id--Fusion--%7B_Epstein_Drive_%7D

About Flip and Burn: http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/torchships.php#id--Brachistochrone_Equations

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
In layman's terms, "it's a rocket in space and it's really good!!"

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
It's a plot drive.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

bloodychill posted:

They haven't stated a population for Mars in the show though so they could shrink that figure for realism if they wanted to.

Actually they have, and its more than twice the 4b you all are referencing http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/enterthefuture/inside/mars/description

I imagine "breeding like martians" has replaced "breeding like rabbits" in the expanse :flaccid:

Iseeyouseemeseeyou fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 25, 2016

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It's a plot drive.
:golfclap:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Doesn't it also involve burning to a half way point, then flipping and decelerating an equal amount?

Well, yes. But the engine is still "accelerating the entire way". It's just for half the trip the acceleration vector is 180 degrees in the other direction.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

DrPlump posted:

This site is really good at explaining the mechanics in the series.

Epstien Drive: http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/enginelist.php#id--Fusion--%7B_Epstein_Drive_%7D

By the way, linked from this:

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/drive/ the text of the short story about the drive's invention

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

By the way, linked from this:

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/drive/ the text of the short story about the drive's invention

That was a good read. Reminds me of this short story from Sword of the Stars on the discovery of FTL node drives.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Actually they have, and its more than twice the 4b you all are referencing http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/enterthefuture/inside/mars/description

I imagine "breeding like martians" has replaced "breeding like rabbits" in the expanse :flaccid:

Earth has population restrictions (complete with forced birth control), so that's probably one factor driving in immigration/having lots of children to/in Mars. All the Martians live under domes and underground tunnels, I imagine once you get past the initial colonization effort it wouldn't be THAT hard to build more living space as you go, with all the future tech, resources of the belt and space travel apparently being inexpensive enough. Also Martians are basically communists so I can imagine there is some natalist poo poo involved too. And the average lifespan is past 123.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DarkCrawler posted:

Earth has population restrictions (complete with forced birth control), so that's probably one factor driving in immigration/having lots of children to/in Mars. All the Martians live under domes and underground tunnels, I imagine once you get past the initial colonization effort it wouldn't be THAT hard to build more living space as you go, with all the future tech, resources of the belt and space travel apparently being inexpensive enough. Also Martians are basically communists so I can imagine there is some natalist poo poo involved too. And the average lifespan is past 123.

Also for a couple generations of humanity before the Epstein drive was invented Mars was the only place humans could reasonably travel to colonize. It took 3 months to 1.5 years to travel there depending on the plant alignments. Missions to the belt and further were strictly for research and exploration.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Mars and Luna, which is heavily populated too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

pugnax posted:

Something else that's sort of neat is the presence of the sun - if the orbits between two points are opposite the sun, obviously you need to go around it, avoiding flares and managing heat.

That's not really how space works. You almost never want to travel in a straight line in a gravity well, even when there's nothing in the way. Doing so means you're fighting against gravity the whole way.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You shouldn't be allowed to talk about solar system navigation as portrayed in the show until you have played Kerbal Space Program for a while.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

That's not really how space works. You almost never want to travel in a straight line in a gravity well, even when there's nothing in the way. Doing so means you're fighting against gravity the whole way.

has a heinlein quote in his avatar and literally doesn't understand the first thing about orbital mechanics

a shameful poster

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Fister Roboto posted:

That's the most energy efficient way, but the Epstein drive makes it so energy efficiency isn't an issue anymore and a spaceship can focus on getting there quickly instead. Delta-v is basically a free resource in the Expanse.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

withak posted:

You shouldn't be allowed to talk about solar system navigation as portrayed in the show until you have played Kerbal Space Program for a while.

That game is pretty amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E4TDYmyBq8

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Lord Hydronium posted:

That's the most energy efficient way, but the Epstein drive makes it so energy efficiency isn't an issue anymore and a spaceship can focus on getting there quickly instead. Delta-v is basically a free resource in the Expanse.

For the most part yep. There's nothing that defies the laws of physics about the way the ships work, there are just efficiency assumptions made. The energy available to a ship is effectively unlimited as long as everything is working properly.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cue the armchair physicists

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Fister Roboto posted:

Of course, all I meant was that slingshotting around the sun is treacherous and kinda sucks.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Ahaha gently caress me it's Miller time

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
That was... pretty damned awesome :stare:

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
A Good Episode.

Julie looking properly gross and hosed up.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Oh poo poo, they're doing a two-hour season finale next week, lumping 9 and 10 together. This is the first I've heard of it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
10 episodes?! I wanted 22!

This show is so loving good.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Philthy posted:

10 episodes?! I wanted 22!

This show is so loving good.

That episode was great. Who caught the Han Solo, Lando Calrissian nod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I love the little details in this show, like the news display on Miller's shuttle showing the time delay for Earth and Mars and the Belt being a live feed. Also that Space Mormon had a really good bit actor, another thing they've done well so far.

• Locked thread