Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PT6A posted:

Those people are wrong. He was a whacknut who was brandishing a prohibited weapon and failing to follow police instructions. You can't do that and then be surprised when you get shot; at best, you should be extremely thankful if you don't get shot.

Thanks for that hot take. We appreciate your dedication to defending the police.

The TPS has a bit of a problem with shooting when it's not absolutely necessary. This man had a pocket knife, but they've also shot people with scissors, a hammer, and occasionally completely unarmed. In each case the main factor was the person was "emotionally disturbed". In this specific case Yatim had taken some research stimulants and was having a bad time of it. When he was shot, he was alone, in an enclosed controlled environment (a streetcar). Arguably he was a threat to no one but himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...ive-counselling

Christie Blatchford: Forcillo’s gun use set off early alerts — but he didn’t receive possible counselling

Constable James Forcillo is an even rarer bird among Toronto police than it first appeared.

As Postmedia reported earlier this week, the 32-year-old officer’s unusual reliance on his firearm brought him to the attention of the force’s early warning system in late 2012, the year before he shot and killed teenager Sammy Yatim.

The system kicks out an alert whenever an officer points his firearm at someone three times in a rolling 12-month period.

And Forcillo, who testified at trial he’s pulled his Glock .40 calibre pistol “about a dozen times” in about three-and-a-half years on the force, apparently generated two of the alerts.

That would make him one of only nine of the average 5,285 officers deployed in 2013 who pointed his firearm four times — .17 per cent of those on the job.

According to numbers released by Toronto police in response to the first Postmedia story, in 2013 only 465 officers pointed their weapons at people even once.

Eighty-three officers did it twice, and 19 three times. The confidential “early intervention” process, as it’s called, is designed to catch officers whose conduct may be leading them towards difficulty.

It is not part of the disciplinary system, but rather is supposed to red-flag those officers whose conduct may be taking them into trouble.

Though these officers may be counselled or monitored for a time, that didn’t happen with Forcillo, according to his lawyer Peter Brauti.

Brauti told Postmedia that when Forcillo received the second alert, a supervisor casually mentioned it and said the incidents where he’d pointed his
pistol would now have to be reviewed.

That was the last Forcillo heard of it, Brauti said. Forcillo is pleading not guilty to second-degree murder and attempted murder in the July 27, 2013 shooting of the 18-year-old.

The jury in the case retired Wednesday and is still deliberating its verdict.

According to publicly available numbers, in 2013, the early warning system generated 1,037 alerts for the three-is-too-many firearm pointing and 211 for pulling a gun.

But the numbers are misleading and don’t equate to individual officers.

Most of the weapons alerts, for instance, are attributable to the Emergency Task Force, the highly trained specialty unit which responds to the most dangerous situations. And it also includes internal and public complaints about police and parking officers, collisions, pursuits and even civil lawsuits in which the police force or chief is named.

At trial, a prosecution use-of-force expert was sharply critical of Forcillo for not talking to Yatim — verbal de-escalation — and for not trying other less lethal methods such as pepper spray.

Forcillo did call for a Taser to be brought to the scene — constables aren’t equipped with them — but before a sergeant arrived with one, Forcillo had fired, because he said he believed Yatim was coming off the streetcar to attack him.

The teenager, who had swung the switchblade at a young female passenger on the streetcar earlier that night, took eight bullets from Forcillo’s gun.

He fired nine bullets in two volleys separated by about five seconds.

A well managed police force indeed.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A posted:

Those people are wrong. He was a whacknut who was brandishing a prohibited weapon and failing to follow police instructions. You can't do that and then be surprised when you get shot; at best, you should be extremely thankful if you don't get shot.

I never wish mental illness on anyone but you are making it real hard for me to continue to do so and also not hope that you have a run in with the law.

"Oh man I stopped taking my meds and went out into the street naked swinging a spork wildly around and the police shot me 11 times. I survived, but I probably deserved death."

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

PT6A posted:

The first round of shots was justified, the second was not. If the first killed him, the second did not and therefore the only crime was that Forcillo intended to kill someone, unjustifiably, but did not actually do so. Seems like the correct verdict.

The verdict still doesn't fit the facts. Since the second volley would have also contributed to Yatim's death (or at least the speed of it), it can be said to be one of the things that actually killed him, so it's not attempted murder. If Yatim was already dead by the time the second volley was fired, it's also not attempted murder, because you can't kill someone who's already dead.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

infernal machines posted:

Guilty of attempting to murder a man who subsequently died, but not guilty of killing him.

Good thing that first volley of shots was a freebie.

Actually, as PT6A mentioned, guilty of trying to murder a man who was already dead. Hence, not guilty of murder - since the charge requires you to actually have killed someone unjustifiably.

I'm not going to pretend I'm terribly happy with the result - in my opinion, the police should have backed off ten meters or so and kept Yatim contained until he either surrendered or charged out of the streetcar, knife in hand, in which case the shooting would have been completely justified.

E: what I am saying is that this verdict makes sense if you believe that Forcillo believed that Yatim was about to attack him with deadly force, and was reasonably justified in so believing. If you do not believe that, of course, Forcillo should have been found guilty of murder.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 25, 2016

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.
↑ edit: I think Forcillo might have believed that, but I don't think such a belief was reasonable.

PT6A posted:

Merely failing to follow police instructions, in the absence of actually posing a threat to someone, does not justify the use of lethal force. Remember that Yatim was not actually within striking distance of anyone when he was shot.

tagesschau fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 25, 2016

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Members of the public tried to gain entry to a so-called "public hearing" on Kinder Morgan's pipeline expansion project yesterday and were arrested. No members of the public are allowed to attend the public hearing.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

tagesschau posted:

The verdict still doesn't fit the facts. Since the second volley would have also contributed to Yatim's death (or at least the speed of it), it can be said to be one of the things that actually killed him, so it's not attempted murder. If Yatim was already dead by the time the second volley was fired, it's also not attempted murder, because you can't kill someone who's already dead.

I think the court/jury questioned the idea that the second volley caused/contributed to Yatim's death given the areas where they hit him, but I'm not a doctor so I have no idea on the correct take there.

My read is that the jury couldn't agree that the first volley was unjustified, but did agree that the second was, and since they didn't believe that the second volley contributed to his death (since he was already dead and since the second volley didn't hit him anywhere vital) you get this verdict.

(alternatively it is a compromise verdict based on no coherent legal theory at all but rather on the preferred outcome for the dueling biases at play in the jury room, but since we'll never know which we'll all come to the conclusion that suits us - mine being that jury trials are The Worst and I wish there was any realistic prospect of them going away forever.)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's correct that our system requires a very high standard of proof, especially for serious charges like murder. If there is doubt, you cannot and should not convict, even if the person on trial is a police officer.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Agreed. Although manslaughter was an option in place of finding him guilty of second-degree murder.

Instead we've decided that as long as the police believe they're justified in using lethal force, they are in fact justified in using lethal force. Their judgement cannot be questioned.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

(alternatively it is a compromise verdict based on no coherent legal theory at all but rather on the preferred outcome for the dueling biases at play in the jury room, but since we'll never know which we'll all come to the conclusion that suits us - mine being that jury trials are The Worst and I wish there was any realistic prospect of them going away forever.)

You could go with what Japan does and have it in front of a panel of judges.

Of course they have an over 99% conviction rate but hey, none of those pesky juries!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Furnaceface posted:

I never wish mental illness on anyone but you are making it real hard for me to continue to do so and also not hope that you have a run in with the law.

"Oh man I stopped taking my meds and went out into the street naked swinging a spork wildly around and the police shot me 11 times. I survived, but I probably deserved death."

So, if I show my gentleman's sausage to a bunch of strangers on the train, threaten them with a knife, and then continue to threaten the police with a knife when they come to deal with me, I shouldn't expect to get shot? It's unfortunate that he did this because of a bad trip or mental illness, but the presence of those factors do not excuse his actions or render him less of a threat.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

You could go with what Japan does and have it in front of a panel of judges.

Of course they have a 98% conviction rate but hey, none of those pesky juries!

Japan's conviction rate would exist even if they had juries.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

So, if I show my gentleman's sausage to a bunch of strangers on the train, threaten them with a knife, and then continue to threaten the police with a knife when they come to deal with me, I shouldn't expect to get shot? It's unfortunate that he did this because of a bad trip or mental illness, but the presence of those factors do not excuse his actions or render him less of a threat.

What rendered him less of a threat was the part where he was completely contained, alone, on the streetcar. There was no immediate need to do anything, let alone shoot him. There was no one physically present for him to harm, and no time factor that necessitated an immediate resolution.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

THC posted:

Members of the public tried to gain entry to a so-called "public hearing" on Kinder Morgan's pipeline expansion project yesterday and were arrested. No members of the public are allowed to attend the public hearing.

I think it was because you have to register and jump through ridiculous hoops to get into the hearings.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Agreed. Although manslaughter was an option in place of finding him guilty of second-degree murder.

To be fair, if I'm reading it right manslaughter and attempted murder have the same penalty (min four years), so the effect is the same :shrug:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I think we can all agree that we should ban all handguns, especially from cops.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Cultural Imperial posted:

I agree with Cultural Imperial

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PT6A posted:

He was contained and clearly in distress. The police had all the time in the world to wait it out but instead they continue to show a lack of restraint in wanting a quick resolution.

This is something that needs to be addressed at the academy level because its a failure in basic training.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
Save up your anger for when the cop's lawyers inevitably get the conviction overturned on appeal.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Furnaceface posted:

He was contained and clearly in distress. The police had all the time in the world to wait it out but instead they continue to show a lack of restraint in wanting a quick resolution.

This is something that needs to be addressed at the academy level because its a failure in basic training.

Yep! This here is the problem.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Instead we've decided that as long as the police believe they're justified in using lethal force, they are in fact justified in using lethal force.

Literally true; yes.

quote:

Their judgement cannot be questioned.

No. From R v Harris:

quote:

Note that section reads “reasonable grounds” and not “reasonable and probable grounds”. The person whose use of force is considered under this section is entitled to be wrong in their belief that deadly force was necessary as long as that belief was reasonable.

You absolutely can question the reasonableness of the cop's belief that he needed to use lethal force. I haven't been following this one too closely because I figured it was a fait accompli, given how Forcillo's gun spends more time in his hand than it does in the vault, so now I'm going to have to go back and read the stupid coverage and the stupid decision to find the stupid reason why this obvious question wasn't asked and that makes me unhappy.

e: The underlying theme behind legal survivability in UOF cases is your ability to articulate what you did. "If you can explain it, you can do it" was the motto drilled into us again and again, partly because it encouraged people to think about what they were doing and partly because it encouraged people to keep their minds open to possibilities beyond firearms and batons. If you can explain WHY you thought that ten year old was going to pick up a piano and bash your brains in with it, and the judge believes that you actually believed that, you're probably going home tonight. If you can't explain why you believed something, they're going to tell you "You didn't actually believe that" and you're going to go to jail and you're going to deserve it for doing something without a good, provable reason.

Today I learned there's a good, provable reason why a child with a knife inside a bus should be shot by people who are standing outside the bus saying words to him.

Furnaceface posted:

:shrug: I was trained to do just that. "Why are you engaging right now? What's wrong with the situation that you think needs changing right now?"

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 25, 2016

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

We're giving them Carbine C8s too now.

Maybe they'll be more careful with them.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

We're giving them Carbine C8s too now.

Maybe they'll be more careful with them.

Perimeter rifles belong on the perimeter. Somebody behind the next mentally ill child on a bus is going to loving die.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

You absolutely can question the reasonableness of the cop's belief that he needed to use lethal force. I haven't been following this one too closely because I figured it was a fait accompli, given how Forcillo's gun spends more time in his hand than it does in the vault, so now I'm going to have to go back and read the stupid coverage and the stupid decision to find the stupid reason why this obvious question wasn't asked.

I'm being flippant, to suggest that regardless of the letter of the law, practically speaking the soundness of their judgement is not questioned. Don't misunderstand me, it was quite literally questioned during this trial, and several other responding officers were asked to corroborate the story being used to justify his choice. But despite the prosecution pointing out that Forcillo's claims, and those of the other responding officers, do not match up with either the video evidence or each other, it was determined that his judgement was sound.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 25, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Remember all the alligator tears for all of Justin bourque's victims?????

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

In other criminal justice news that should get everyone riled up, serial child abusing predator Graham James has been given day parole! He only abused three children (that we know of), I'm sure he's learned his lesson... :rolleyes:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I'm being flippant, to suggest that regardless of the letter of the law, practically speaking the soundness of their judgement is not questioned. Don't misunderstand me, it was quite literally questioned during this trial, and several other responding officers were asked to corroborate the story being used to justify his choice. But despite the defense pointing out that Forcillo's claims, and those of the other responding officers, do not match up with either the video evidence or each other, it was determined that his judgement was sound.

Whoops, didn't spot that because I wasn't following the case. Knowing that yeah your sarcasm is obvious and it's totally called for because what in the crap? They actually bought that story? Urhghhrhhghh my head is melting

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

TBF, this is specifically why they're being given the carbines. The RCMP report following that incident gave the recommendation for deploying the rifles to regular police units.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I sure hope police don't miss with their C8's in the city, they will be significantly more dangerous than errant glock fire.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Anyone who thinks the police were in immediate danger from Sammy Yatim has clearly never tried to exit a TTC streetcar quickly. Those steps are steep enough that the police would have had plenty of warning if he was actually trying to exit the vehicle instead of just moving around inside it.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

vyelkin posted:

Anyone who thinks the police were in immediate danger from Sammy Yatim has clearly never tried to exit a TTC streetcar quickly. Those steps are steep enough that the police would have had plenty of warning if he was actually trying to exit the vehicle instead of just moving around inside it.

He would've hit his head on the top portion. The time to reach the officers if he tried was easily well over 5 seconds.

ed: I need to read the verdict, but a crime scene recreation with similar actors would've shown this. I'd be surprised if this wasn't shown by the prosecution.

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 25, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's ok, any bystanders killed by the police will just add to the charges of who ever the police were shooting at. Don't listen to the police fast enough when they start yelling at you with guns drawn and decide to open fire? Well that family behind you wasn't killed by the police, they were killed as a result of your criminal non-cooperation with the police that forced them to open fire.

It's just like when the police kill people in pointless and avoidable car chases, it's the fleeing vehicle's fault.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'm sorry PT6A but we live in a society where once a situation has gone from being a danger to others to just dangerous to the person causing it, we aren't allowed to loving murder them because its more convenient and less costly than trying to resolve the situation without killing them.

The fact that you don't understand this is highly disturbing.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I'm very lucky that all the times I've had bad trips I was surrounded by compassionate human beings instead of roided up, easily frightened monkeys with guns and probable rage issues.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Is that the guy who molested Theo fleury?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

:shrug: I was trained to do just that. "Why are you engaging right now? What's wrong with the situation that you think needs changing right now?"

I come from a family that has many (now retired) police. They all say the same thing about the most recent incidents; these police arent trained the same way they were when it comes to peaceful resolution. A lot of the blame comes from the increasing militarization of police forces as deadly force and quick judgement/resolution is much higher priority and is in fact being taught at the very basic level in police forces across this country. While I dont doubt that you got this training, it is clearly not being taught to everyone or at least not getting put in the proper set of priorities.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

The Duggler posted:

Nah hes the RCMP killer from out east. He shot a bunch of cops with a rifle, and the cops only had glocks.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Duggler posted:

It's the SovCit nut who decided to go on a cop killing spree in NB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

The Duggler posted:

Ironically, I think that was this guy:

PT6A posted:

In other criminal justice news that should get everyone riled up, serial child abusing predator Graham James has been given day parole! He only abused three children (that we know of), I'm sure he's learned his lesson... :rolleyes:

Whereas THAT guy was the libertarian wingnut who shot a couple of cops in Moncton.