Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augus
Mar 9, 2015

admataY posted:

The worst movie is probably not some dream project of a deluded amateur outsider, its probably some soulless production made by very very bored competent professionals .
I would rather watch birdemic 10 times rather then give , idont know, lets say pixels a second go .

It depends on what you qualify as being "worse", really, which is entirely subjective. Something could be more interesting but technically worse-made, or something could be well-made but completely uninteresting. Did the person fail miserably but really hand none of the means necessary to succeed, did they have all the means to succeed but still fail miserably? It all depends on which aspects of a film you put more stock in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!

BigRed0427 posted:

Lupa and Phealos Watched a Barney tape. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmbPulniZtg

I don't know if I can. I think we had this one when I was a kid. My niece had like twenty of these drat tapes.

Sandy Duncan has been in some crap, but this is pretty crappy even for her.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Dan Olson has been doing a run down on how movie posters are made on twitter.

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
The correct answer for worst movie ever is Bucky Larson. Holy gently caress, I will never get back the time wasted on watching that.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
What about Cool Cat Saves The Kids?

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Augus posted:

It depends on what you qualify as being "worse", really, which is entirely subjective. Something could be more interesting but technically worse-made, or something could be well-made but completely uninteresting. Did the person fail miserably but really hand none of the means necessary to succeed, did they have all the means to succeed but still fail miserably? It all depends on which aspects of a film you put more stock in.

Yeah, I think there's many different criteria for worst. The two worst movies I picked for "worst I've seen" aren't actually the movies that annoyed me the most; I think I can point to a couple of other movies that made me feel larger amounts of impotent rage. However, Ben and Arthur is a movie that's horrendous on every technical level ever (terrible acting, terrible directing, terrible pacing, terrible screenwriting, terrible camerawork, terrible editing, terrible music, terrible production design and so on), and has an incredibly stupid and disturbing story - but we also have to give points to the fact that it's at least trying to do something and Sam Mraovich definitely had...ideas, and he had the handicap of limited resources. So I also nominate Windows for worst movie made by anyone who should have known what they were doing, because it was made by skilled professionals who somehow still managed to turn out a movie that was simultaneously incredibly offensive and incredibly boring. It's also really visually monotonous and badly shot, despite the fact that it was directed by an oscar-winning director of photography.

But yeah, I don't think there's one answer for this, ever. Like...do you want to nominate the most boring? The most soulless? The most disgusting? The most offensive? The most poorly made on a technical level? It's your call!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Also everyone forgets The Master of Disguise existed.

I could basically do this for days, if you saw it on MST3K or people are mocking it regularly it is nowhere near "the worst" because there is some meat on those bones. You need abject failure to dig through the bottom of the barrel.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Transformers 3 is the worst movie I've ever seen because it was incredibly long and I felt like the actors, dialogue, direction and writing were purposefully trying to piss me off

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

END ME SCOOB posted:

I could basically do this for days, if you saw it on MST3K or people are mocking it regularly it is nowhere near "the worst" because there is some meat on those bones. You need abject failure to dig through the bottom of the barrel.

Lots of MST3K films fit that criteria but none of them are memorable as the "fun" bad ones like Manos.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Can someone intentionally make a bad movie?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

Didn't tim and eric do this?

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Yes, though they usually end up being namely insufferably full of themselves, which is worse than whatever "intentional" badness they put on screen.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

WickedHate posted:

Lots of MST3K films fit that criteria but none of them are memorable as the "fun" bad ones like Manos.

I'd say Manos is only "fun" because MST3k made it that way. Otherwise it's shoddy, stagnant and depressing. I can't imagine ever watching it without riffs.

"Fun" bad is something like The Room or Miami Connection: movies that are so good at being bad that they become sublime. (I edited out Fateful Findings, because I'm not sure you can even call Neil Breen's movies "bad." They're so much their own thing. For all the technical deficiencies, he's achieving exactly what he sets out to do.)

LFK posted:

Yes, though they usually end up being namely insufferably full of themselves, which is worse than whatever "intentional" badness they put on screen.
I think it tends to be executed better on TV, like Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, maybe because it comes in smaller doses. Whereas both Lost Skeleton of Kedavra movies got pretty tiresome after a while.

I also have a weakness for TV episodes where the characters go to see bad conceptual art, but that's a different discussion entirely.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 25, 2016

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Keromaru5 posted:

I think it tends to be executed better on TV, like Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, maybe because it comes in smaller doses. Whereas both Lost Skeleton of Kedavra movies got pretty tiresome after a while.

I also have a weakness for TV episodes where the characters go to see bad conceptual art, but that's a different discussion entirely.

I don't know if Garth Marenghi's Darkplace would count. It's less "poorly made poo poo" and more "skillfully made imitation of poo poo". Part of what muddles the "intentionally bad" line is that the best "intentionally bad" things are imitating bad, like Venture Brothers' "testicular torsion" skit.

So you've got

- Bad movies made by passionate incompetents
- Bad movies made by total hacks
- Good movies posing as bad movies (good-bad) made by passionate, skilled people
- Bad good-bad movies made by people who can't pull it off and thus just make a bad movie
- Bad movies made by total hacks who know it's bad and use the veneer of good-bad to disguise their laziness

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

WickedHate posted:

Haha, what? Even if you didn't like Ultraviolet there's no way it's comparable to those others.

UltraViolet is weird because apperently the movie was completely shredded in post. The effects were never finished. The whole movie was drenched in this ugly disgusting soft look. And to top it off, I believe every single person in that film was dubbed over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzJfZqXsKMA&t=92s

That guy in the actual film has some weird mousy American accent. It's awful.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

admataY posted:

The worst movie is probably not some dream project of a deluded amateur outsider, its probably some soulless production made by very very bored competent professionals .
I would rather watch birdemic 10 times rather then give , idont know, lets say pixels a second go .

I don't really count movies that obviously had no budget to be capable of being the 'worst films'. There's a huge difference between the Birdemics of the world and movies that actually did get budgets yet sucked poo poo anyway. Stuff like Manos and any of the not-movies Coleman Francis made can't really be compared fairly to stuff like Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever, Battlefield Earth and Gigli.

So with all of that said, I will continue to assert that Star Wars Episode 2 is the worst film I have ever seen :can:, and I'll also give special commendation to Star Trek Nemesis and Super Mario Bros. for just being mind-bogglingly terrible in their own right. Though at least Super Mario is sorta interesting in its awfulness, something that can't be said about the other two.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008

Cubey posted:

So with all of that said, I will continue to assert that Star Wars Episode 2 is the worst film I have ever seen :can:, and I'll also give special commendation to Star Trek Nemesis and Super Mario Bros. for just being mind-bogglingly terrible in their own right. Though at least Super Mario is sorta interesting in its awfulness, something that can't be said about the other two.

There are elements IN super Mario bros that are good even if inappropriate to the source material. Stuff like the set design or Dennis hopper performance are enough to make it at least an intresting miscalculated failure. Really awful movies are those that completely fail to engage you I think . SW Ep2 was a decent example actually because things technical happened but none of it made me feel like this isn't a waste of two hours.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Cubey posted:

I don't really count movies that obviously had no budget to be capable of being the 'worst films'. There's a huge difference between the Birdemics of the world and movies that actually did get budgets yet sucked poo poo anyway. Stuff like Manos and any of the not-movies Coleman Francis made can't really be compared fairly to stuff like Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever, Battlefield Earth and Gigli.

Woah, Ep 2 is the worst Star Wars movie but even it doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Battlefield: Earth.

I saw B:E in theaters! I was there, man.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Here we go again

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
So, I've been catching up on SFDebris Escaflowne review, and it really is a difference like day and night to the other anime reviews.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

e X posted:

So, I've been catching up on SFDebris Escaflowne review, and it really is a difference like day and night to the other anime reviews.

Night and day to his other anime reviews, or to other anime reviewers? Because Chuck reviews them from an outsider's perspective, as a Science Fiction critic first and an anime critic waaay down the list. Like, I thought his War in the Pocket review was terrific, even though it was apparent he didn't know the first thing about Gundam.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
His other anime reviews, e.g. that bland as hell one with the dying girl who gets to be a pop singer for a year and the weird schoolgirl lesbians one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

e X posted:

His other anime reviews, e.g. that bland as hell one with the dying girl who gets to be a pop singer for a year and the weird schoolgirl lesbians one.

Chuck works for donations, so there's only so much that can be done when the patron shovels 500 dollars at him to review their waifu show. He sorta opened the floodgates when he started taking anime requests, and there are a disturbing number of people who are desperate for validation from their favorite critic. So you get garbage like Kannazuki No Miko and boring crap like Full Moon alongside genuinely good analyses for 0080, Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cubey posted:

I think Insurrection is worse than Nemesis, personally. Neither of them is the worst film I've seen, though.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Woah, Ep 2 is the worst Star Wars movie but even it doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Battlefield: Earth.

I saw B:E in theaters! I was there, man.

Battlefield Earth has a lot of moments that are just loving hilarious. That scene where the cow gets his leg shot off had me in stitches. It's a very bad movie and one of the worst, but it's entertainingly bad. The ones I listed were not funny bad, just mind-numbingly boring.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think Insurrection is worse than Nemesis, personally. Neither of them is the worst film I've seen, though.

I'm open to this idea based purely on the fact that I cannot remember a single thing about Insurrection despite having seen it in theaters and at least once since then on DVD.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Insurrection is saved by the absolutely hilarious dvd commentary Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis did. Frakes is just laughing his rear end off, and Sirtis is drunk and remembers very little about the movie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cubey posted:

I'm open to this idea based purely on the fact that I cannot remember a single thing about Insurrection despite having seen it in theaters and at least once since then on DVD.

It's the one where the villains are former Space Amish who were shunned by their people, who have the secret of immortality or something but won't share it for reasons.

There's also this really cringey bit where, upon learning that his love interest du jour is actually much older than him despite looking younger, Picard says, "I've always been attracted to older women," and she replies, "And I've always been attracted to bald men."

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
It's basically a early era TNG episode stretched into a feature movie. And it shows. Not only is the plot just plain bad, there a re also way to many contrivances to actually make the story work.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

Insurrection is saved by the absolutely hilarious dvd commentary Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis did. Frakes is just laughing his rear end off, and Sirtis is drunk and remembers very little about the movie.

The never-published book Michael Piller wrote about the development of it is quite good as well.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
:siren: Breaking worst-movie-evar news: :siren:

As of today, worst movie ever is officially The Master of Disguise . Nothing I ever saw hurt me like this. nothing.
I feel betrayed by my friend who insist on puting it on his TV .
I feel betrayed by Brent Spiner . Not cool man, not cool .
This is an actual production with an actually budget made by actual once employed in Hollywood people. Someone had to know they were making art crime . Someone had to stop it .

Also, gently caress rollergator even rifftrax couldn't salvage it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Cant believe there are motherefuckers out there claiming super mario bros movie is bad, god drat.

Master of Disguise, now that's a bad movie. That's one of the 2 movies that I saw when I was younger that taught me that there was such a thing as "bad movies"

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

admataY posted:

As of today, worst movie ever is officially The Master of Disguise . Nothing I ever saw hurt me like this. nothing.
This is an actual production with an actually budget made by actual once employed in Hollywood people. Someone had to know they were making art crime . Someone had to stop it .

I need to look at our bad movie twitter club's official list of the worst poo poo we've ever sat through and present it here while the topic's still fresh.

I bring this up because I think Master of Disguise is like #4 or so on the list.

The Love Guru is (barely) even worse, if you think you can handle it and want a terrible soul-sucking challenge.

(As I mentioned before, Nutcracker: The Untold Story holds the #1 spot for now, only with the understanding that Jay and Silent Bob's Super Groovy Cartoon Movie doesn't really count.)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

FirstAidKite posted:

Cant believe there are motherefuckers out there claiming super mario bros movie is bad, god drat.

Master of Disguise, now that's a bad movie. That's one of the 2 movies that I saw when I was younger that taught me that there was such a thing as "bad movies"

I still love the moment where everyone freaks out at the tiny bob-omb.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
And yet, Backstreet Boy, this is one girl who isn't content to be the Malcolm in *your* middle!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

admataY posted:

My favorite Master of Disguise fact:

IMDB posted:

The scene at the Turtle Club happened to be filming on September 11, 2001. When word of the terrorist attacks reached the set, the cast and crew observed a moment of silence.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Super Mario Bros is a stupid and kinda fun movie that completely ignores its source material, but it doesn't belong on any worst-ever lists. There's a lot of interesting poo poo in that movie; it's just not what people wanted.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

admataY posted:

There are elements IN super Mario bros that are good even if inappropriate to the source material. Stuff like the set design or Dennis hopper performance are enough to make it at least an intresting miscalculated failure.

I still believe Bob Hoskins was brilliant casting.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I fuckin' told y'all about Master of Disguise. Probably as rough as you can get on a mainstream film.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Beefstew posted:

Super Mario Bros is a stupid and kinda fun movie that completely ignores its source material, but it doesn't belong on any worst-ever lists. There's a lot of interesting poo poo in that movie; it's just not what people wanted.

What always gets me about this (since nine times out of ten that's what people take issue with) is that I still don't know how you'd actually go about adapting Mario into a movie "properly". The games of the time all had paper thin plots, so that pretty much leaves...a two hour episode of one of the cartoons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's the one where the villains are former Space Amish who were shunned by their people, who have the secret of immortality or something but won't share it for reasons.

There's also this really cringey bit where, upon learning that his love interest du jour is actually much older than him despite looking younger, Picard says, "I've always been attracted to older women," and she replies, "And I've always been attracted to bald men."

Nemesis is definitely much better than Insurrection. It's not a great SF movie but at least it's got problem>>>>solution>>>>climax going on and also has a bit of very welcome self-awareness in terms of looking back on the characters of Picard and Data. Whereas Insurrection kind of just... happens. I guess it technically has 3 acts but the last half hour is so bolted on.

First Contact & Wrath of Khan will always be the best Trek movies.

• Locked thread