Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

If that poo poo happened in the league I've played in that guy wouldn't have made it back to his car without my teammates "having a chat with him". One of the "benefits" of playing in the less nice part of Sydney...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

iajanus posted:

If that poo poo happened in the league I've played in that guy wouldn't have made it back to his car without my teammates "having a chat with him". One of the "benefits" of playing in the less nice part of Sydney...

Yeah, well he played it right. Everybody is tracking the flight of the ball, it sails past us and then POP. My goaltender 5 yards away didn't see it. The whistle blows and I'm laying flat on the ground. Nobody knew what had happened.
He hosed off while confusion reigned.

That's cool, I know what happened.

Enough about this, more soccer talk.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Nah, we want to hear about the part where you double foot him for 90 or pull a Suarez

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Last week tied 7-7, (in part due to my steal and run down the wing to set up the eventual goal) our keeper did the classic Indoor Keeper move of leaving his area with the ball and losing it, getting a yellow and leaving us down a man with a minute left and without a good keeper.

We lost 8-7.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
It's easy (not wrong) to blame the keeper for trying to make something happen at the end of the game, but how did those other 7 goals get in there?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Actually tbh he was at fault for 2 goals by taking the ball out of his area, not including the eventual winner after he was sent off for the last 1:50 or so

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Vinestalk posted:

It's easy (not wrong) to blame the keeper for trying to make something happen at the end of the game, but how did those other 7 goals get in there?
Indoor games are usually goal fests. It's fun as a keeper but yeah in an even contest some are going to get through.

This wasn't a particularly dirty play but I think my worst soccer memory was the end of a tied indoor game at keeper where I had the ball at my feet and took a bad touch. The other team's big striker came in strong, and I ended up on the ground with the fucker laying on top of me and cynically going limp to keep me pinned down. As I wrenched my back trying to get out from under the guy I watched a series of scuffles for the ball which ended with the other team finally getting control and putting the winning goal in with 10 seconds left on the clock. It's one of those memories that will sometimes come to me out of nowhere like when I'm in the shower or something.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I play indoor, as well, and am well aware that the open play and faster pace leads to more goals. My point wasn't "they let a bunch of goals in." It was "everybody probably could have done better instead of just blaming the keeper."

One of the biggest things everyone sees in indoor games (no matter where you play) is a total disregard for defending and tracking back. It's a short field and you more than likely have the ability to make frequent subs. One hard sprint and you're already back in front of your own goal. And yet teams get caught on the counter almost every couple of possessions. Rather than solely blaming the loss on the keeper going forward, maybe think about how the team can defend better and how to make it so running forward is less desirable for the keeper. What are your players doing as soon as he comes into possession? How open are they and where are they on the field? How much confidence does he have in the players at the back being able to maintain possession and get the ball forward?

All that being said, maybe it's time to start looking for a new keeper. I'm just pitching ideas.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
For a while we had a 'keeper we called Jesus.

He hated crosses and had holes in his hands.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
For a few seasons we had a striker that we called Manshort.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Anyone try those knee sleeves/supports?

Been getting some knee soreness the past couple weeks. Hasn't been a problem yet in game but it gets uncomfortable on stairs and hurts when I try to squat.

Going to buy this sleeve from REI and see if it does anything: http://www.rei.com/product/878109/pro-tec-athletics-3d-flat-knee-sleeve

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I guess it depends on your issue but those sleeves are uncomfortable and don't stay in place for me, I have used knee straps for a while for my tendinitis and I like them better.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I refuse to wear any knee bands or braces. Either my knees support me or they don't.

I haven't played in 4 weeks and my left knee is loving killing me, send help.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Simone Poodoin posted:

I guess it depends on your issue but those sleeves are uncomfortable and don't stay in place for me, I have used knee straps for a while for my tendinitis and I like them better.

well, i bought one off amazon and it doesn't fit me so i gotta return it. i've been using a knee strap for 2-3 years now and it's helped but this pain is a little different.

this time, i'll buy them at REI and i can use it and return if it doesn't fit :fyadride:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

2 weeks out from my Achilles surgery and the doc says it looks good, still need another two weeks in a non-weight-bearing cast and crutches which loving suck. And then a boot for like 6-8 weeks probably and a couple months of PT after that. Glad the surgery went well since he said I "shredded" the tendon but goddamn the recovery from this takes forever and really screws up your day to day life.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

Geno posted:

Anyone try those knee sleeves/supports?

Been getting some knee soreness the past couple weeks. Hasn't been a problem yet in game but it gets uncomfortable on stairs and hurts when I try to squat.

Going to buy this sleeve from REI and see if it does anything: http://www.rei.com/product/878109/pro-tec-athletics-3d-flat-knee-sleeve
not a doctor but in my completely unqualified opinion that could be anything from minor tendonitis to something serious like a meniscus tear or ligament damage. I would be really careful and get that poo poo checked out before you keep playing. When I had a meniscus tear the sports med doctor basically told me the sleeves don't do poo poo except keep your knee warm. I don't know if that was specific to the injury i had or in general.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

mushi posted:

not a doctor but in my completely unqualified opinion that could be anything from minor tendonitis to something serious like a meniscus tear or ligament damage. I would be really careful and get that poo poo checked out before you keep playing. When I had a meniscus tear the sports med doctor basically told me the sleeves don't do poo poo except keep your knee warm. I don't know if that was specific to the injury i had or in general.

neither of the sleeves i bought fit well because of my huge quads.

i replaced my 2-year-old knee strap with a new one and it seems to work fine. i've just been stretching a lot the past 2 weeks and it still hasn't acted up in game and walking stairs is comfortable now. squatting is still a little iffy.

i only have 1 game the next 2 weeks so if it still doesn't recover after all the rest, then i'll probably get it checked out.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I tighten up my knees by grabbing onto a dresser or something, sticking my leg out that isn't getting worked on, and do little bends. Round 50 a side helped me in basic when ruck marches were the norm and I was an Unathletic poo poo

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I did a thing. (I'm the blob of pixels playing keeper)

its the greatest accomplishment of my life and i'll probably never make another stop like that again at my advanced age.

bonus nutmeg + finish from a teammate.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Sick save!

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
how many courts does that place have?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I thought this was interesting, given that half this thread is keepers, apparently.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003

Geno posted:

how many courts does that place have?
it's Rose City Futsal in Portland. They have three courts, you can see the corner of the third court in the video. The smaller green courts aren't "turf" but basically padded carpet that has the surface texture of a brillo pad. Feels good for traction but you will bleed if you slide on it for any reason. I think the big one is the only one that conforms to FIFA standards though, and it's on the small side of the dimensions.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

mushi posted:

it's Rose City Futsal in Portland. They have three courts, you can see the corner of the third court in the video. The smaller green courts aren't "turf" but basically padded carpet that has the surface texture of a brillo pad. Feels good for traction but you will bleed if you slide on it for any reason. I think the big one is the only one that conforms to FIFA standards though, and it's on the small side of the dimensions.

o drat nice, i've always wanted to check out Rose City Futsal but i'm in Hillsboro so it's quite a drive for me

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

mushi posted:

its the greatest accomplishment of my life and i'll probably never make another stop like that again at my advanced age.

That's pretty sick, but... so many goalkeepers wtf

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

mushi posted:

gently caress #22 hes poo poo

#7 is amazing

mushi
Oct 13, 2003

ephex posted:

gently caress #22 hes poo poo

#7 is amazing

yeah that pretty much identifies the worst and best technical players on our team. #22 does not play defense, I'm kind of shocked that he was standing there to begin with. He pretty much plays a dedicated whatever the futsal equivalent to a #9 is and he is actually good at quickly putting awkward shots on target. Only with his right foot though, he's incapable of using his left foot for anything other than standing on it while he shoots with his right foot. Fortunately everyone on our team knows this and plays defense around him when he's in.

#7 I believe collected a paycheck to play semi-pro football in Europe at some point in his life. I don't know much about it except it's really fun playing with him because you can blast poo poo passes at him waist high on the run and he still manages to control it perfectly like it was planned all along

ilikekarate
Mar 17, 2009
Making my return to 6aside tomorrow night after 5 months of knee pain. Recommend me some warm up drills?

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Practice throwing a ball against a wall and catching it till you vomit, you bloody goalie

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

ilikekarate posted:

Making my return to 6aside tomorrow night after 5 months of knee pain. Recommend me some warm up drills?

what kind of knee pain took you out for 5 months?

i've been having some knee pain the past month and i've been stretching my quads/hamstrings/calves regularly. it tightened up a bit last Sat playing 11v11 but it felt fine last night playing 6v6 for 2 hours.

ilikekarate
Mar 17, 2009

Geno posted:

what kind of knee pain took you out for 5 months?

i've been having some knee pain the past month and i've been stretching my quads/hamstrings/calves regularly. it tightened up a bit last Sat playing 11v11 but it felt fine last night playing 6v6 for 2 hours.

Tore ligaments 5 years back playing gaelic football. Nearly a years rehab got me back playing. Got caught by a rogue boot last October. Swelled up. Been cycling and jogging last 3 weeks and its not flared up.

The fear is impact.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
First time playing 5 a side in 6 month tonight

Originally stopped playing for a couple of weeks due to a bruised calf and then slipped out of the mind-set and stopped playing, I've been doing some light jogging and gym work to keep myself fit, well as fit as I ever was, but a buddy has phoned saying a guy dropped out and he's really struggling for a tenth.

Whatever happens, at least my usual pre match; poached eggs, beans and brown toast will be a lot easier with the until now untouched egg poacher the mother-in-law got us for Christmas.

:classiclol:

edit: lost by 8 goals, we were leading by 3 at half-time but the tiredness showed, legs feel like bruised watermelons,

Ramagamma fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 25, 2016

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've been shoveling snow for 3 days, and it's been 2 weeks since my last indoor match. Looking forward to dying tonight at 7

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Funnily enough, after reading at length about them in this thread, I've started playing in my work's coexist league and it's terrible - our team is the only with women on (not one but TWO) and they are RUBBISH (one of them is AUSTRALIAN). After the third game they knew to sub themselves off the cows.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mods please rename the thread - The Locker Room: DON'T PLAY CO-ED YOU loving IDIOT

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Insanely Sikh posted:

Funnily enough, after reading at length about them in this thread, I've started playing in my work's coexist league and it's terrible - our team is the only with women on (not one but TWO) and they are RUBBISH (one of them is AUSTRALIAN). After the third game they knew to sub themselves off the cows.

Australians are all bad at foot, regardless of gender or sex

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
co-ed can be frustrating sometimes but it's way more casual and relaxed than my other leagues.

no one really plays co-ed purely for the competition anyway

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Co-ed is fine as long as it's not competitive.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Bogan Krkic posted:

Australians are all bad at foot, regardless of gender or sex

Counterpoint: the best center back I ever played with was a chain smoking Australian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
That's a decent counterpoint but check this: the Socceroos are hopping their way into history.