Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Pertplus posted:

I like the idea of a magnetic mount but I can't see how a big metal plate being pressed against my phone 24/7 wouldn't leave a mark. Does it?

That's the secret, it's pushed up against the saddle brown leather case. No marks on the phone itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Endless Mike posted:

Holy poo poo no one cares if you want to use a case or not. Just that if you do, orange silicone is the only acceptable choice.

there's only one person on this forum sing orange silicone

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Endless Mike posted:

Holy poo poo no one cares if you want to use a case or not. Just that if you do, tech21 is the only acceptable choice.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

But you'd never know, what with how often it comes up.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

It's not my fault everyone else is wrong.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I have a question that does not involve a phone case.

I have an old jbl speaker dock thing that has a 30 pin connnector, how well do the apple 30pin to lightning cable adapters work? It would be nice to use it as a dock again.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
If you buy an official one it will probably work.

If you buy a yumcha one it will probably only charge.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
This looks like a genuine one?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

30pin speaker docks rely on analog audio being output on one of those 30 pins. Lightning doesn't do that analog audio signal at all. It's not gonna work.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

td4guy posted:

30pin speaker docks rely on analog audio being output on one of those 30 pins. Lightning doesn't do that analog audio signal at all. It's not gonna work.

If only there was a way to convert a digital signal to an analog one... Perhaps some sort of Digital-Analog Converter.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

td4guy posted:

With an Apple™ Certified™ 30-Pin™ Adapter™ it will work just fine. I use one literally every day in my car to go from lighting to 30-pin and it works exactly as if it were a 30-pin, even pulls in album covers and song titles.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, when lightning was new Apple's overpriced adapter converted everything just drat fine.

Now all my 30 pin hardware is gone and I have a useless overpriced adapter.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

track day bro! posted:

This looks like a genuine one?

That is genuine soft Idiot race, and rest assured the converter has a teeny tiny DAC in it so you can rest your pretty little head knowing it will work just fine.

Although as expensive as it is, have you considered just buying a new speaker dock? You could even free yourself of cumbersome wires and buy a bluetooth speaker!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

td4guy posted:

The official apple adapters have a tiny DAC inside.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

You guys are going to laugh, and I contemplated not even telling you, but I figure in the spirit of honesty I should.... But mere days after that impassioned speech about how you don't need cases and insurance and bullshit, I was juggling a doorknob, my phone and a coffee cup and dropped the 6S on concrete and shattered the whole drat thing. It's 169 CAD for a new screen I think they said, so... yeah. Woops. Dunno if I'll be buying a case, though.

To make this most more relevant: if you're in an Apple Store, tell them that you're in a rush - you have a flight to catch or you're late for work, they'll find a Genius Bar appointment for you. They had ZERO appts available today, and it was impossible to reach a human by phone, so I just walked in and told them I had to catch a flight in the evening and would really appreciate being helped. They found me an appointment 10min from then. I figured out this trick when I was legitimately in Montreal on a legitimate vacation and legitimately needed to do work and my power brick stopped working. No appointments available but oh you're in a rush and it's critical? See you in 5 minutes. I lie every time now. It's bad karma probably but I don't believe in the afterlife and it hurts nobody. You just have to sell it. If you don't look frazzled, you fail.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Buy a cool Brown Leather Case.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
So who of you is interested in the alleged 4 inch iPhone? I'm kinda tempted actually. Sure, bigger screens are always better for actually watching content but I like not having a brick in my pockets. It was actually the reason I switched from android to iOS back when the iPhone 5s was the current iPhone.

On the other hand I think the 6s strikes a really nice balance between portability and screen size.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

They need to bring back the proper black and not this loving space grey poo poo.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Buy a cool Brown Leather Case.

seriously if you people do not buy saddle brown leather iPhone face for the glorious peoples iPhone republic of plus success loving piece of poo poo

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'll have to see the iPhone 7 to know for sure, depends on what they do/don't do with that one to make me want to go back to a 5s-style phone.

e:

Vintersorg posted:

They need to bring back the proper black and not this loving space grey poo poo.

And this.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

seriously if you people do not buy saddle brown leather iPhone face for the glorious peoples iPhone republic of plus success loving piece of poo poo

Don't add that saddle poo poo to my post. Brown = Good. Saddle Brown = bad.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

With the dark grey silicone case, the phone is pretty black. Not Spinal Tap black, but at first glance it looks really close to my old 5.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Vintersorg posted:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

bronin posted:

So who of you is interested in the alleged 4 inch iPhone? I'm kinda tempted actually. Sure, bigger screens are always better for actually watching content but I like not having a brick in my pockets. It was actually the reason I switched from android to iOS back when the iPhone 5s was the current iPhone.

On the other hand I think the 6s strikes a really nice balance between portability and screen size.

Yeah, if it's a good phone I'll buy it because I'm opposed to buying an enormous phone and also a bad phone.

The 6S is like, one of the smallest on the market now right? That's still an enormous phone.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The 5se has the internals of a slightly better 5S but not on par with the 6.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

noirstronaut posted:

The 5se has the internals of a slightly better 5S but not on par with the 6.

I read a rumor today that it will actually get the A9 chip from the 6s.
We'll find out soon enough I guess.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

We should not need a case to get the correct shade of grey. Once upon a time, we didn't.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
there's like

50 different shades of grey

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'd probably get a 4" phone if it was equal to the top-end offerings, but they won't do that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lollin at your little baby hands if you think the 6s is a big phone.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
I will not be satisfied until I can wrap my hand all the way around my phone and touch my thumb to my fingers.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I think people tend to grip the phone from the bottom half, since that's the most comfortable way to type one-handed. In that case I can understand the top of the screen being out of reach, or at least an uncomfortable stretch for the thumb. It's not that people literally can't get their hand around a 6/6+ to hold it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Pivo posted:

To make this most more relevant: if you're in an Apple Store, tell them that you're in a rush - you have a flight to catch or you're late for work, they'll find a Genius Bar appointment for you. They had ZERO appts available today, and it was impossible to reach a human by phone, so I just walked in and told them I had to catch a flight in the evening and would really appreciate being helped. They found me an appointment 10min from then. I figured out this trick when I was legitimately in Montreal on a legitimate vacation and legitimately needed to do work and my power brick stopped working. No appointments available but oh you're in a rush and it's critical? See you in 5 minutes. I lie every time now. It's bad karma probably but I don't believe in the afterlife and it hurts nobody. You just have to sell it. If you don't look frazzled, you fail.

Ugh. I just drove 45 minutes away to an Apple store because my ATV just up and died for whatever reason. It's within the 1-year warranty, so I figured I could just go get it quickly diagnosed and hopefully just replaced. Nope, had to wait in line for 20 minutes behind people with cracked iPhone screens that need to buy the Saddle Brown Leather Case to talk to a guy, just for him to tell me "we don't have any Mac technicians in today so I'll need to make you an appointment... we're booked until next Saturday, is that OK?" I probably should've just said, no, but this thing just doesn't power on anymore, here's my receipt, can I have another one?

Of course, if I go back on Saturday and they pull their customer service magic and give me an ATV4 instead because they hopefully no longer keep stock of the ATV3, this inconvenience will turn itself around. This isn't going to happen.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Don't add that saddle poo poo to my post. Brown = Good. Saddle Brown = bad.

Whoa... Whoa... Bro, drat

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Even if the new iPhone 5s"e" is just iPhone 6 internals I'd make the jump.

I can't stand two-handed phones.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Isn't it common knowledge that you always book appointments online? Turning up to a store and expecting to see anyone other than sales staff is a dream that is long gone. It's been like this for years.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not everyone's been an iPhone owner for years, and it's not like Apple invests a lot of effort advertising you can make an appointment.

I mean if you dig through their help site enough eventually you get pointed there, but if your phone won't turn on, how might you manage that?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm definitely going to buy a iPhone 5SE or whatever it's going to be called because the 5/5S is the best design Apple has ever made, even if it has an A8 CPU (and current rumors imply an A9 anyways). My iPhone 6, while a fine phone and all, feels like a clunky compromise. It's never been the same and I'd love to go back to a superior 4" form factor.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I have handoff off, shared calling off, and yet missed calls from my personal phone keep ending up in my work missed calls list. Anything obvious I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I'd actually get 5 sized phone again as I'm one of the ones who could never really get adjusted to the size of a 6, but if it's always gonna be a step or even a half step behind when it comes to technology compared to the other phones available then I'll likely just stick with the 4.7 inch offering or whatever it is.