Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Get a third Stormcrow if you already have two, you may as well elite them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Pattonesque posted:

amazing that all it took were some structure bonuses, some range reduction on lasers, and tightening SRM groupings

and a new mech lab

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Pattonesque posted:

amazing that all it took were some structure bonuses, some range reduction on lasers, and tightening SRM groupings

I never played until just recently

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

ZenVulgarity posted:

I never played until just recently

for a long time the thing to do was put two PPCs and either gauss or two AC/5s on a Highlander, Victor, or Cataphract, jump jet out from behind cover, put 30 points of damage wherever you wanted it, and then drop back untouched.

It SUCKED. There was no counter to it. You'd see the spectacle of a million CTF-3Ds hovering in the air from 700m away, totally wrecking whatever they wanted.

Then the thing to do (when they released Clans and nerfed JJs a bit and lots of mechs got energy quirks) was stick as many Clan lasers as possible on a robot, or gauss plus as many clan lasers as possible, and poke from range.

This also sucked but a bit less so. The worst part is that laser and gauss vomit were only marginally less bad at brawling than SRMs/ACs, which meant that even when the brawlers closed on the snipers they would still lose.

Now you can actually charge a snipey team and wreck them. The game rewards three or four different styles of play. It's a huge improvement from the Bad Old Days.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

With regards to cheats: I cannot comment. It would be foolish for me to say anything in a public or semi-public forum.

I understand your frustration with the topic but this is not the venue to inquire about it, nor am I the person to ask.

You are best off contacting support or the feedback email address and/or asking Tina. Please be aware that you may not get much of an answer because we are going to obviously going to be reluctant to discuss the topic, not because we do not care or are trying to avoid the issue, but instead because we have to keep some topics internal.

I hope that you can understand that last point and can see that you would treat this situation in the same manner.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Im tempted to buy another cicada 3m for the engine alone while its on sale, how many xl320s does one need usually?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
PGI's silence on the issue by default means that, at best, there might be a plan in place to eventually implement in order to deal with Helios. That is, at best, not exactly optimal. With that said, I at least understand that it's self-defeating to make any further comment on it as a company until such a plan is implemented and active.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Im tempted to buy another cicada 3m for the engine alone while its on sale, how many xl320s does one need usually?
One. Swap it between mechs unless you want to do the internet robot version of Patron bottle service in a New York nightclub.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Random Number posted:

Allow me to paint a picture for you all. I'm in my Pirate's Bane. A locust with 4spl, ecm, and a big rear end engine. It is very short and runs very fast. Some goons and I drop in a group and we get forest colony. Against 228 or sjr or lord, I can't remember.

Anyway, I get a water spawn point and I'm running towards a map edge where no one would ever go, and about half a map square before the map edge a mech hits me dead CT from extreme range. I survive and type "HMM THAT'S NOT SUSPICIOUS AT ALL!" Only to accidentally run out of bounds and explode because mech fast.

A match or two later I'm on frozen city night with the same goons in a Cent-D with a big engine, lbx-10, and 2 mpl. Again we drop against 228/Lord/sjr or whoever. I pop into Jenner alley and run allll the way to the low city side where there's a divot surround by cliffs on 3 sides. The enemy never saw me.

I wait until 10:00 and then go to suicide and as soon as I move out into the open a grasshopper rounds the corner and starts shooting me. He's losing the fight and a black knight rounds the corner and CTs me from 600m while I'm twisting and cuddling this grasshopper.

This question is mostly for #19, are pgi working on a way to detect and flag accounts that use Helios? Because it's really ruining the gently caress out of the only fun part of this game, the shooting mechs part.

Locusts are made of wet paper and torso twisting isn't a magic shield.

Pattonesque posted:

Quirks helped a lot to open up the back catalogue.

E: and omg yes the mechlab, 2.0 was so loving poo poo. Just as one example picking an engine meant scrolling through useless giant icons of every single engine in the game, looking for the tiny marker that meant you owned it.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 25, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Vorenus posted:

One. Swap it between mechs unless you want to do the internet robot version of Patron bottle service in a New York nightclub.

I have no idea what that means, and i get the feeling i should be glad about that.
I will thus not buy the Cicada.

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

yo, can I get an invite to WoL? in-game name is Feiru

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Number19 posted:

With regards to cheats: I cannot comment. It would be foolish for me to say anything in a public or semi-public forum.

I understand your frustration with the topic but this is not the venue to inquire about it, nor am I the person to ask.

You are best off contacting support or the feedback email address and/or asking Tina. Please be aware that you may not get much of an answer because we are going to obviously going to be reluctant to discuss the topic, not because we do not care or are trying to avoid the issue, but instead because we have to keep some topics internal.

I hope that you can understand that last point and can see that you would treat this situation in the same manner.

This type of statement needs to be issued by Russ, in a public event (eg: town hall) where, even if he doesn't take questions, there is an acknowledgement that people are cheating, that PGI is working to provide both a technical solution (ASLR, VAC, etc) and support solutions (automated recording of players that are heavily reported) to counter cheating.

There have been some bannings, but nothing coherent from PGI about how they deal with cheating, it's mostly a hodge podge of occasional action, and some long ago patches to close loopholes.

sebmojo posted:

He was in a centurion that match.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

sebmojo posted:

I think he's talking more about the fact that they spotted and hit him in a tiny ECM mech which was in an unlikely part of the map

sebmojo posted:

Quirks helped a lot to open up the back catalogue.

Quirks are super great because they give robots unique roles. Certain variants are still "the bad one", but now you have like, CN9-A's being "the zombie SRM slugger" and CN9-D's being "the autoshotgun" and so on

Before quirks you also literally never saw Thunderbolts, for example

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Say, is there a mech sale every week?
I dont wanna buy one just to find out hes half price tomorrow or something...

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Almost everyone has stories of being exclusively cored out or getting headshot on the move from extreme distances. We were playing a team on two consecutive drops and if you moved to the corner of cover, but stopped, there would still be multiple gauss shots fired at the spot you would've popped out because they were wallhacking. I sent Alex a long email about it and I hope something was done, but we'll never know!

If you're going to submit reports, you should also submit video footage if possible. I know Win10 has that built-in DVR function with the XBox app, and there's always FRAPS and other tools you could use to record it. The moment weird poo poo starts happening in a match or you suspect anything, get it on tape so their CS can look over it. Simply writing it about it makes it tough to investigate, I think.

Very few companies will publicly disclose any acknowledgement of plan of action regarding cheating programs, as that sets up some massive expectations on their part that they rarely can keep up with. It was shocking to even see PGI disclose names of players that had action taken against them in a wave of bans.

I know SOE tried this with Planetside 2 and global broadcasts of cheater bans, but it doesn't really address the core issue.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 25, 2016

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Has anyone made the loyalty wolverine work? It gets UAC5 jam bonuses yet can only mount one, so obviously have to go with 2 regular AC5 instead, and then for other weaponry can only mount two SRM6's with 3 tons of ammo. It just seems pretty terrible all around, and then it can only fit like a XL255.

WVR-7D(L)

This is the best I could come up with. But maybe two srm4 and a med pulse in the head? Actually I gave that a try instead since then I can flip more ammo to the AC5's.

Washout fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 25, 2016

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Washout posted:

Has anyone made the loyalty wolverine work? It gets UAC5 jam bonuses yet can only mount one, so obviously have to go with 2 regular AC5 instead, and then for other weaponry can only mount two SRM6's with 3 tons of ammo. It just seems pretty terrible all around, and then it can only fit like a XL255.

WVR-7D(L)

This is the best I could come up with. But maybe two srm4 and a med pulse in the head? idk..

I cannot for the life of me figure out a way to make the 7D work in any way outside of being a lovely 6R. Unless/until MASC gets a big buff, there's nothing else I can think of.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

novaSphere posted:

I cannot for the life of me figure out a way to make the 7D work in any way outside of being a lovely 6R. Unless/until MASC gets a big buff, there's nothing else I can think of.

I just took the MASC off entirely. I might remove the SRMS too and then switch to a standard engine. If you could put a large pulse on it in addition to the AC5 it would be workable but as is, idk.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

novaSphere posted:

If you're going to submit reports, you should also submit video footage if possible. I know Win10 has that built-in DVR function with the XBox app, and there's always FRAPS and other tools you could use to record it. The moment weird poo poo starts happening in a match or you suspect anything, get it on tape so their CS can look over it. Simply writing it about it makes it tough to investigate, I think.

Very few companies will publicly disclose any acknowledgement of plan of action regarding cheating programs, as that sets up some massive expectations on their part that they rarely can keep up with. It was shocking to even see PGI disclose names of players that had action taken against them in a wave of bans.

I know SOE tried this with Planetside 2 and global broadcasts of cheater bans, but it doesn't really address the core issue.

It's pretty lovely to put the onus on the user to police the rest of the userbase. Especially since MWO runs bad enough without having video recording software running over the top and I don't want the responsibility of firing up recording software at the drop of a hat. But since Helios is undetectable when used in CryEngine games, here we are I suppose.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

It's lovely to put part of the responsibility on players, but that's also kind of the nature of this game (and a lot of others) right now. Not everybody can be like Activision-Blizzard with crazy robust server tech and cheat detection routines.

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
I need a 3rd Dad.

D or RS?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Sonderval posted:

I need a 3rd Dad.

D or RS?

D, then sell it once you basic it out

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
As i learned here, if you ever played the trial Atlas RS(C), the basic variant RS will have this xp available - making basicing much faster (instantly in my case).

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The RS has some funny gimmick builds involving 4x large pulse lasers and large lasers but it suffers from not being ghost dad or drunk dad

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Number19 posted:

I can appreciate the situation that you're in with this and thank you for posting what you have. As people have already mentioned PGI continuing to acknowledge and letting the community know that they're working on it goes a long. I don't think anyone is expecting a detailed plan of action with dates or anything.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Drone_Fragger posted:

The RS has some funny gimmick builds involving 4x large pulse lasers and large lasers but it suffers from not being ghost dad or drunk dad

Its basically "Temporary Dad" and will be ditched when its purpose (3rd basic) has been served.
Come to think of it, id rather call it "One Night Stand" instead.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

For us IS guys, is there a "goon approved" Marauder build that people are having success with? Looking at running a MAD-3R 2x PPC & 2x AC5.

Stanyer89 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 25, 2016

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Drone_Fragger posted:

Nah, the biggest issue is the stupidly low weapon mounts. Otherwise, it would be a very capable precision dickpuncher.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Super 3 posted:

I can appreciate the situation that you're in with this and thank you for posting what you have. As people have already mentioned PGI continuing to acknowledge and letting the community know that they're working on it goes a long. I don't think anyone is expecting a detailed plan of action with dates or anything.

Tech companies are often reluctant to publicly discuss anything related to security (which is what cheating is, a security issue). Anything PGI might say about their efforts to combat cheating would provide information that cheat software developers could potentially use in the next generation of their tools. Not that security through obscurity is something to rely on, but it's basically an arms-race situation and if they can get ahead for a few weeks or months by being cagey about it I understand why they would do that.

It's a tradeoff, basically: They can improve customer perception by laying out details of how they fight against exploits, and in so doing risk making the problem worse, or they can keep mum for maximum security but risk upsetting players.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Stanyer89 posted:

For us IS guys, is there a "goon approved" Marauder build that people are having success with?

Depends on what it is you want to do.

With the 3R some people swear by 3 AC5s. Myself, I like to build it with 4ML and an AC20. T

he BH2 also works great with ML and AC20, only you have a 3 extra energy slots so up that to 7 ML.

The 5D does great with 3LPL and 2SRM6A.

Those are the 3 that I normally play. If you can fit jump jets put one in, double heat sinks always, and endo. Get a 300 engine in there. If you're in one of the brawling builds get your shots off and start torso twisting. Fire your lasers in batchs if you're driving the 7ML BH2, obviously.

I don't play the 5M much but from what I understand it does well with 2AC5s as its main weaponry plus supporting lasers.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Honestly just knowing that these reports I and others file on a player when we're very confident they're cheating are looked at and acted upon would do a lot for me.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Depends on what it is you want to do.

With the 3R some people swear by 3 AC5s. Myself, I like to build it with 4ML and an AC20. T

he BH2 also works great with ML and AC20, only you have a 3 extra energy slots so up that to 7 ML.

The 5D does great with 3LPL and 2SRM6A.

Those are the 3 that I normally play. If you can fit jump jets put one in, double heat sinks always, and endo. Get a 300 engine in there. If you're in one of the brawling builds get your shots off and start torso twisting. Fire your lasers in batchs if you're driving the 7ML BH2, obviously.

I don't play the 5M much but from what I understand it does well with 2AC5s as its main weaponry plus supporting lasers.

Looking at running a MAD-3R 2x PPC & 2x AC5 to try and capture the bonuses for the PPC which make it slightly more accurate and raising its muzzle velocity to around 1600 m/s and lowering its heat by 10%.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Boy I sure do love dropping in a game and having five dudes say they are in LRM boats, then look up their mechs and see they are all 85 tons+...

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Have the rest of the team hide behind them for the whole match. :v:

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Well, part of the fun "game is good now" feeling is that a lot of NEWBIRDS and RETURNBIRDS are having fun stomping around in giant robots, and a pretty good amount of the stupid, crazy and lovely things are receding into the past. Fixing game mechanics is good. Fixing up the maps and even pooping out a new one every 30 months is good. But the fact that they apparently heaved a wistful sigh and bid adieu to their former policies of doxxing and forum-banning people for unsupportive comments on Reddit and, I assume, fedexing their feces to paying customers with a note that says "SUCKER!" is good, too.

It still kind of tugs at my heartstrings when I imagine an alternate universe where this franchise ended up in the hands of a company that was half competent and half poop-flinging howler monkeys. It would have been awesome.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Tujague posted:

It still kind of tugs at my heartstrings when I imagine an alternate universe where this franchise ended up in the hands of a company that was half competent and half poop-flinging howler monkeys. It would have been awesome.

This accurately describes my feelings about the new "Rainbow Six" game.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Endbuster posted:

Boy I sure do love dropping in a game and having five dudes say they are in LRM boats, then look up their mechs and see they are all 85 tons+...

HOLD LOCKS PLZ IMMA 2500+ LURMS LMAO!!!1
Thanks Highlands.

Ok, give me reasons not to buy a quickdraw 5k for ER-LLaserboating.
I discovered im lacking in the medium/ sub75 heavies department.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Yolomon Wayne posted:

HOLD LOCKS PLZ IMMA 2500+ LURMS LMAO!!!1
Thanks Highlands.

Ok, give me reasons not to buy a quickdraw 5k for ER-LLaserboating.
I discovered im lacking in the medium/ sub75 heavies department.

Right now the quirks are almost all the QKD has going for it. If it does get nerfed, you might end up with a very weak mech

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Supraluminal posted:

Tech companies are often reluctant to publicly discuss anything related to security (which is what cheating is, a security issue). Anything PGI might say about their efforts to combat cheating would provide information that cheat software developers could potentially use in the next generation of their tools. Not that security through obscurity is something to rely on, but it's basically an arms-race situation and if they can get ahead for a few weeks or months by being cagey about it I understand why they would do that.

It's a tradeoff, basically: They can improve customer perception by laying out details of how they fight against exploits, and in so doing risk making the problem worse, or they can keep mum for maximum security but risk upsetting players.

There are things they can do, and publicly state, that don't give anything away.

For instance, implementing a HLTV method of recording and replaying matches by re-running the movement/click events would be space efficient, let them review matches after the fact, and allow automated solutions to highlight movement events that are improbable and look for patterns in player actions.

There isn't anything a cheat can do to overcome this that doesn't also reduce the effectiveness of the cheat eg: moderating mouse input.

Other techniques (automated screenshots, ASLR, etc) all have client side tech bits that could be evaluated and countered, but that doesn't make them worthless. For instance, pulling a screenshot off the video cards framebuffer could be done via a bit of shader code that will run solely on the video card that would be strongly resistant to tampering, and if players go long periods without submitting a screenshot, they are flagged as suspicious for human followup. A VAC style probing that looks for items in memory or in the directX chain that has definitions pulled from the server every match would also be effective even if publicly disclosed.

EoRaptor fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 25, 2016

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Supraluminal posted:

This sums the situation up well. Silence does not equal inactivity and in a case like this saying nothing might be the best option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Supraluminal posted:

I get this and all I'm saying is that acknowledgement and a 'we're working on it' wouldn't be remiss. I don't think anyone expects PGI to drop details about what they might be doing.

• Locked thread