Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
The only down side with 3D is that the implied attacks are even more so implied and a lot of attacks reuse the same animations. Seeing a pokemon throw a punch and a giant foot pops up for megakick or whatever is kind of <___<.

It's a work in progress and will probably look a lot better next gen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

They should go back to 2d sprites and make a new Stadium game for Wii U or NX or whatever console instead of these half assed 3d battles.

RoboFrance_29
Jul 15, 2010

GET EQUIPPED

ChaosArgate posted:

More like shortcut buttons. ZL asks if you want to use items to top off your HP, ZR does the same for BP. Also I believe the c-nub is actually used for camera control in papercraft fights.

Edit: Err, I guess the other way around? Either way, they're just shortcuts and not actual cheats.

The c-nub also can scan around the map on the bottom screen when you're not a-fightin'.

Again, just added convenience :v:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

mabels big day posted:

They should go back to 2d sprites and make a new Stadium game for Wii U or NX or whatever console instead of these half assed 3d battles.

Or they should... not do that. They should make a new Stadium game, though, with even better models.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

If they do another Stadium-esque game, they're just going to use the XYORAS models.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

deadly_pudding posted:

Or they should... not do that. They should make a new Stadium game, though, with even better models.

HD Pokemon models in a Stadium game would be cool. I'd like more varieties to the battle system in place though. They should just graft Pokken and a Stadium game together and allow you to do both turn-based and real-time battles, or make a new battle system for the game like they do for the Mystery Dungeon games.

You can already do turn-based battles on the handheld versions and spending sixty bucks to do that with other people with 3-D models seems like a poor bargain. I've always felt that Stadium games sort of lacked content, and was pleased when they added the single-player RPG elements to the later ones. It helped that their "plots" were really strange, and one of them had you stealing bad guys' Pokemon from them, which was kind of an interesting gimmick. Give me more of that and a very stable online multiplayer component and maybe I'd drop the cash.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

No, it's a convenience option. Basically, healing items are used up to restore your party's HP and BP. It's not for free.

Aah, okay, that's more sensible. I thought it was like the 'refill HP" thing they added to the Final Fantasy rereleases or whatever.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I love the game world in X and Y. The towns have so much personality, and there are some really majestic locales like the Parfum Palace and Lumiose City. I can't think of many games where I've enjoyed just existing in the world as much as I have with X.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

thorsilver posted:

This is a pretty good summary. The biggest compliment I can give the current-gen Pokemon games is that as someone who generally loving hates what happens when 2D sprite-based games go to 3D models, they did a fantastic job on these games. Every Pokemon is filled with personality, the 3D models are great (in fact too great if anything -- framerate chugs at times during battle), and the animations are charming as hell.

Single-player in these games isn't exactly challenging though. If you want better post-game stuff then Black2/White2 on DS are better. Also Heart Gold/Soul Silver. But the main advantage of the 3DS games is how easy it is to battle online, so just do that instead IMO.

A lot of the ease in Gen 6 comes through the use of the Exp-Share. If you're after a challenge, you can either turn it off or rotate 10+ pokemon through your team so you don't get too overleveled.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
i ordered paper jam in june and it was supposed to come on friday. When it didnt i just chalked it up to the weather until i noticed amazon sent me an email for me to give my approval that my delivery has been delayed until late february.
jacked up imo

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

AfroGunsou posted:

i ordered paper jam in june and it was supposed to come on friday. When it didnt i just chalked it up to the weather until i noticed amazon sent me an email for me to give my approval that my delivery has been delayed until late february.
jacked up imo

drat, gently caress that. Just cancel your order and get it elsewhere.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

AfroGunsou posted:

jacked up imo

You did the same thing I did. Go back a page or two, they hosed up the inventory, the one you preordered isn't the same SKU as the one being sold. I cancelled the original order and ordered the right one.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You did the same thing I did. Go back a page or two, they hosed up the inventory, the one you preordered isn't the same SKU as the one being sold. I cancelled the original order and ordered the right one.

yeah i ended up doing this after amazon support pretty much also told me to do it as well. thats all fine for this and good but now im worried that this could just as easily happen with any of my other preorders and possibly lose out on some preorder bonuses/limited edition junk. i guess i'll cross that bridge when i come to it

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If you want a Pokemon-esque game that isn't ugly and doesn't run like poo poo, get Yokai Watch.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
ehhhhhhhh yokai watch isn't much like pokemon

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

AfroGunsou posted:

yeah i ended up doing this after amazon support pretty much also told me to do it as well. thats all fine for this and good but now im worried that this could just as easily happen with any of my other preorders and possibly lose out on some preorder bonuses/limited edition junk. i guess i'll cross that bridge when i come to it

I went through my preorders yesterday, apparently the trick is, if the digital code is also offered, that should be the right item.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If you want a Pokemon-esque game that isn't ugly and doesn't run like poo poo, get Yokai Watch.

if you want a pokemon-esque game that isn't terrible, get pokemon

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Looper posted:

Yo-Kai Watch is pretty decent. Y'know, it's Level 5 so lots of items and opaque crafting and fusion systems.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Looper posted:

Pokemon is kinda terrible, let's be real here.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Pokemon is kinda terrible, let's be real here.

You're a pretty negative dude, PaletteSwappedNinja.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Fine, Ill temper that: Pokemon is a 20-year-old franchise that's getting tired and the 3DS games are inexcusably ugly and poorly optimised.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Fine, Ill temper that: Pokemon is a 20-year-old franchise that's getting tired and the 3DS games are inexcusably ugly and poorly optimised.

you're not wrong

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

If you want a Pokemon-esque game that'll kick you in the balls, try out Shin Megami Tensei IV.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If you want a Pokemon-esque game that isn't ugly, get Moco Moco Friends.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
if you want a pokemon esque game, try barbie's horse adventure

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Another 3DS update got pushed down. Required even if on 10.4

E: 10.5.0 is the new 3DS firmware.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 26, 2016

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i dont want a pokemon esque game

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

noirstronaut posted:

if you want a pokemon esque game, try barbie's horse adventure

Luv My Pony Girls.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Dehry posted:

Another 3DS update got pushed down. Required even if on 10.4

E: 10.5.0 is the new 3DS firmware.

http://yls8.mtheall.com/ninupdates/titlelist.php?date=01-25-16_07-00-49&sys=ctr&reg=E small update, just the friends list. I bet emumand even works fine on it but not going to test.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
they just released a hax to work on 10.4 like yeaterday or the day before.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Apparently there are SD card corrupting issues with the latest firmware so I wouldn't upgrade just yet. So much for stability upgrades :v:

EDIT: Oh wait, apparently this was the previous version. Never mind!

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 26, 2016

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The 3DS Pokemon games are ugly?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Everything that isn't a Pokemon battle model is ugly, yeah.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The textures are a bit low res outside of battle and battles themselves are choppy as hell unless you've unlocked the game to use the faster N3DS clockspeed through homebrew.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The textures are a bit low res outside of battle and battles themselves are choppy as hell unless you've unlocked the game to use the faster N3DS clockspeed through homebrew.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next round of Pokemon games actually make use of the N3DS hardware properly. First iterations of a new engine and all.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 26, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
DBZ Extreme Butoden, $14.95:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X8X082G/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I know I shouldn't buy Final Fantasy Explorers, but I like Final Fantasy too much and I'm going to buy Final Fantasy Explorers. :sigh:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Do you like monster hunter without jumping? It's a really barebones monhun compared to 4

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Huh, is this any good? As someone who likes DBZ a whole lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
no