Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Catching up on the past few weeks of Demon. This made me literally cackle. Love a good lightspeed gag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

MikeJF posted:

Catching up on the past few weeks of Demon. This made me literally cackle. Love a good lightspeed gag.

But it's just the distance from earth to moon. And Wolfram Alpha tells me that's only 1.2 light seconds. So I guess Jimmy just took a while to come up with that retort. Conversations were never his strong suit.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Roundtrip. Three seconds.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
OK, this has been driving me nuts all day;

I'm trying to remember the name of a webcomic I read about a year ago about a demon girl who had an angel friend (also female) that took place in a sort of mishmashed afterlife and the main point was that the Demon girl wan't that big about being demonic.

And, no, it's not ava's demon.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

paradoxGentleman posted:

I recently catched up on Monster Pulse. Apparently the characters were always supposed to be fifteen? They look twelve at the oldest in their first appearance, jeez.
Love the new monsters, by the way. Does anyone know what part of the body is the skeleton supposed to be? What about the one Ayo is fighting? And does that girl really have a whole head monster?

e: oh wait
"My Cav's probably going to beat him though." The douche has a cavity monster.

The tooth monster is a molar, the bone one seems to be a spine and pelvis, and the head one is obviously a head. If you noted, the girl who had the overamped spine monster was, herself, spineless.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

paradoxGentleman posted:

I recently catched up on Monster Pulse. Apparently the characters were always supposed to be fifteen? They look twelve at the oldest in their first appearance, jeez.

That's because they were initially written as 13 but then they got aged up to 15 because Magnolia Porter is an anime irl

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a webcomic I read about a year ago about a demon girl who had an angel friend (also female) that took place in a sort of mishmashed afterlife and the main point was that the Demon girl wan't that big about being demonic.

That sounds vaguely similar to Kill Six Billion Demons.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

ConanThe3rd posted:

Evil Diva?

The artist ran into some money trouble a while back and had to scale back on updates. The site doesn't seem to be working right now.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Dr Christmas posted:

Evil Diva?

The artist ran into some money trouble a while back and had to scale back on updates. The site doesn't seem to be working right now.

Yeah. That's it.

And disappointing. :smith: oh well thanks.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

paradoxGentleman posted:

And does that girl really have a whole head monster?

I'm still not sure what their deal is exactly. We've never seen another monster talking on its own, but the head is clearly the "monstrous" one. I'd say it might be something like Violet and Anima, except the head talked to the body like they were separate. Also, apparently they don't have their full range of powers when they're not physically connected? Which is not a trait anyone else in the series has displayed.

Of course the bigger mystery is why did these guys all start fights and then say 'we don't really want to hurt you', which I am really curious about. I feel like it's a miscommunication like when Nancy thought they were Shell, but the opening narration makes it sound a lot more severe.

Anyway...let's just take a moment to be thankful the buzzsaw bone beast didn't go up against Ayo or Guuzy.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think it's pretty clear they're supposed to be some sort of human experiments repurposed into a capture squad sent by rjinder or however his name is spelled

they may not all be entirely on board with the concept of "hurt them as little as you can manage" but i'm guessing that's their orders

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

But how could Shell have managed to get some other children and turn them into a capture squad like this? It took them who knows how long to make the kids' monster squad, surely they could not have kidnapped and mindwashed a bunch of kids into being their faithful agents in three months' time?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 24, 2016

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I was certain that there was more of a time jump involved, but apparently not. I don't think it's necessarily a retcon, though. Bina says she's thirteen during the halloween chapter, when Abel is dating Violet. There's probably a few weeks, maybe even a couple months, that they're dating before the big brain-deer fiasco. And immediately after the brain-deer bullshit, is the three-month jump. That's almost half a year, more than enough time for Bina to have a birthday. The author comments for the latest chapter say:

quote:

I'm trying to draw the kids a little closer to how they SHOULD look at their age (around 14-15). Anyway, welcome to the new chapter- I've had tons of fun drawing it >:33

So if we assume Bina to be one of the younger members, it all fits. Bina and Julie 14-ish, Abel and West 15-ish.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You don't have to brainwash a kid to get them to do what you want, give them like a minimum wage salary and they'll be riding high on what feels like a jillion dollars to them.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what serendipity

oh octopus pie

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

why did you show me this
it's so good and now i cant stop reading it
there is a strip about loving 2008 jesus christ

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I don't get it?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

paradoxGentleman posted:

why did you show me this
it's so good and now i cant stop reading it
there is a strip about loving 2008 jesus christ

octopus pie is indeed a good comic, although i have no idea what its update schedule is or if it has one

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Oh hey, is "I have it together now" girl finally coming apart?

I don't know this comic well enough to remember anyone's names, but I remember her falling out with the other one.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I like that Octotus Pie became a masterpiece of sequential art out of nowhere.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Not of plot or storytelling, mind you.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
today in neo-kosmos:

welp

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Every now and then I see Octopus Pie posted and I go read like 10 pages and think "man that's a neat comic I should get in to" then I look and see that it's been going for sooo long and I think "Jesus I don't have time to catch up on that, I'll just go read some gag-a-day instead"

So what I'm saying here is Awkward Zombie is a funny comic

vvv: bingo, can't get enough of em

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 26, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Video game jokes

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

*clicks*

Holy crap this art is adorable.

...HOLY CRAP THIS THING'S ARCHIVE HAS LIKE EIGHT HUNDRED PAGES!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tollymain posted:

octopus pie is indeed a good comic, although i have no idea what its update schedule is or if it has one

Based on her Patreon goals, it's 10 color pages per month, which she's promising in January (running into February). She was definitely up to that pace before she went on a honeymoon in December

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 26, 2016

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Sleepless Domain: Go on...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

readingatwork posted:

*clicks*

Holy crap this art is adorable.

...HOLY CRAP THIS THING'S ARCHIVE HAS LIKE EIGHT HUNDRED PAGES!

Only 800?

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
New one! Lots of new stories were submitted, which is super great.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Sleepless Domain : Thanks, painfully vague shadow lady. That clears everything up.

:cripes:

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 28, 2016

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
You post about Sleepless Domain to complain about it literally every single time it updates. Maybe you should just stop reading it for a bit and come back later to see if you enjoy it? It's clear that what the author wants to do with the story isn't what you're currently looking for.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Plethora posted:

New one! Lots of new stories were submitted, which is super great.

Well at least the school was responsible in this one. We were almost on a roll of failures of authority.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

RoboCicero posted:

You post about Sleepless Domain to complain about it literally every single time it updates.

I will admit that I have not been very positive about the story but I was genuinely interested in what the shadow... girl...thing had to say because it seemed like she at least knew about why things suddenly got all Pacific Rim on everyone (Hence the "Go on..." in my post for that page) but we got nothing out of it except that she's really angry at Undine (frankly, who isn't?) and that it doesn't really matter anyway because as far as she was aware Undine was as good as dead.

This is chapter 3 and all I know about the main (and only at this point) character besides the Blue Magical Girl archetype stuff is that she is really good at pissing people off.

The last time I said that I was going to leave be for the chapter I screwed up in forgetting to turn Patreon updates off and that is completely on me but this will be the last time I post about SD on this thread. It's not worth the bother.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 28, 2016

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Also the cutesy art style seems inappropriate for killing off kids

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
^^^ Eh. It's the style you'd normally get with this genre so it feels appropriate to me

Just read through all of Sleepless domain. It's fine. Not amazing, but fine. It's a decent story that has the potential to go interesting places. Not sure why people are getting riled up over it.

Good stuff:
-Interesting premise. It's an angle on the genre I haven't seen explored much.

-Neat monster designs! I particularly loved the elevator themed thing.

Minor gripes:
- I hate universes where only one gender exists. I realize that this is a magical girl trope and don't care. Token male cameraman doesn't count.

- Why the hell do they let these teams of children do this poo poo with no adult supervision? I get that only kids probably have this power but shouldn't there be an adult with the military keeping them in line/coordinated?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The only interesting thing in Sleepless Domain is the school scenes and yellow girl's money stuff.

I want a comic that explores the full implications of magical girl school for magical girls, as well as with the monetary culture built up around these magical girls.

What I am saying is that yellow girl should have been the singular survivor, and saved by pink girl.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So far I'm waiting for it to become anything more than a retread of Madoka Magica. I'm fairly confident it will, but while I am enjoying it in the meantime it doesn't have anything special about it yet.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

So far I'm waiting for it to become anything more than a retread of Madoka Magica. I'm fairly confident it will, but while I am enjoying it in the meantime it doesn't have anything special about it yet.

What on earth makes Sleepless Domain a retread of Madoka? The fact that it's about magical girls and some died?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Gosh if only this comic could respect the nuances of the magical girl genre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oneiros posted:

What on earth makes Sleepless Domain a retread of Madoka? The fact that it's about magical girls and some died?

A grimdark take on the genre, most of the characters die, and there's obviously some connection between magical girls and the monsters they fight. It's got plenty of chance to diverge from there, it just hasn't had enough happen yet to do that.

• Locked thread