Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Except nobody's blaming one evil dude at a company. They're blaming a hosed up system that needs to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
Except the petition is asking the CEO to make the prices equal, when he's not responsible for making them unequal in the first place.

Sure, they could make a stand but why should they? They've evaluated the market value of men and women's products separately and have found that women will pay more for certain things. That's how retail works. It's not a case of 'manufacturing cost + 40%' - things cost the max people will pay.

The issues here are that retailers exploit the fact that perceived value can be wildly different from actual value, and that society has women place a disproportionate value on physical appearance. Asking a retailer to just price match by gender because it's not fair is simplistic and dumb.

EvilGenius has a new favorite as of 14:45 on Jan 25, 2016

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

EvilGenius posted:

Except the petition is asking the CEO to make the prices equal, when he's not responsible for making them unequal in the first place.

Yeah but "person that is literally in charge of the company" is a person that has the power to look down and say "knock that poo poo off, folks."

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I just buy "men's" razors :shrug:

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Fatkraken posted:

I just buy "men's" razors :shrug:

"Women's razors work better. For whatever reason men's razor technology hasn't figured out a way to properly contour the shin bone." - Chris Traeger

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

EvilGenius posted:

Yup, but my point was that the products and the prices reflect what people want and are willing to buy. Only in the same way that Nurofen is 5x more expensive than generic ibuprofen, because it's in carefully designed packaging.

I find it funny, the idea that a misogynist CEO has gone 'gently caress women, I'm gonna charge them 15% more, MWAHAHA'.

That's literally exactly what they do, though. How the gently caress do you think the prices got higher in the first place? Do you honestly think women were demanding to pay more and the poor, beleaguered CEO was forced to cave to their demands?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What difference does it make its all coming from the husbands paycheck to buy it anyway

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Who What Now posted:

That's literally exactly what they do, though. How the gently caress do you think the prices got higher in the first place?

Well, since you asked:

EvilGenius posted:

They've evaluated the market value of men and women's products separately and have found that women will pay more for certain things. That's how retail works. It's not a case of 'manufacturing cost + 40%' - things cost the max people will pay.

The issues here are that retailers exploit the fact that perceived value can be wildly different from actual value, and that society has women place a disproportionate value on physical appearance. Asking a retailer to just price match by gender because it's not fair is simplistic and dumb.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Who What Now posted:

That's literally exactly what they do, though. How the gently caress do you think the prices got higher in the first place? Do you honestly think women were demanding to pay more and the poor, beleaguered CEO was forced to cave to their demands?

Basically? Kind of what supply and demand is all about. If a certain market segment is demanding more of a product and showing a willingness to pay more, then a company will spend an extraordinary amount of energy finding the right price point to get as much profit as possible. This is Marketing 101 stuff.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Professor Wayne posted:

Basically? Kind of what supply and demand is all about. If a certain market segment is demanding more of a product and showing a willingness to pay more, then a company will spend an extraordinary amount of energy finding the right price point to get as much profit as possible. This is Marketing 101 stuff.

And it's loving wonderful and I am really disappointed teenaged me didn't follow my teachers advice and get into marketing and advertising.

Also we are the idiots on social media by derailing this thread.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
The free market is a holy, blameless creature.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gridlocked posted:

And it's loving wonderful and I am really disappointed teenaged me didn't follow my teachers advice and get into marketing and advertising.

Also we are the idiots on social media by derailing this thread.

I went into "literally anything other than marketing" because I have a conscience and a soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMN8REGJXaA

Bill Hicks on marketing.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

RillAkBea posted:

Well, since you asked:

Professor Wayne posted:

Haha, hooooooooooooly poo poo. Well, I guess I can't argue with "Marketing 101" then. Those stupid idiot women shouldn't have chosen, nay, demanded to pay more for the same products. You guys have convinced me and now I'm off to buy some fedoras!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/sultkin/status/691461040421343232

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Women will pay more because men's products and men in general are seen as default and women are seen as aberrations from the norm.

I guess the free market is why healthcare doesn't study women in drug trials as often as they do men. The invisible hand, silently loving us.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Eponine posted:

Women will pay more because men's products and men in general are seen as default and women are seen as aberrations from the norm they want to pay more.

I guess the free market is why healthcare doesn't study women in drug trials as often as they do men. The invisible hand Women, silently loving us themselves.

Fixed that for you. Wouldn't want anyone to think that it's the companies and CEOs at fault for this!

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

This Ancient Greek sailor discovered One Weird Trick to prove the Earth is round! Conspiracy nuts hate him!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Who What Now posted:

Haha, hooooooooooooly poo poo. Well, I guess I can't argue with "Marketing 101" then. Those stupid idiot women shouldn't have chosen, nay, demanded to pay more for the same products. You guys have convinced me and now I'm off to buy some fedoras!

Whatever floats your boat. Just hope you can find a store that sells a variety of styles and quality at the exact same price so you don't go apeshit on some retail worker.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

The way this is worded makes it sound like everyone is assigned a science textbook at birth, full of debatable information. Also: an edges

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Professor Wayne posted:

Whatever floats your boat. Just hope you can find a store that sells a variety of styles and quality at the exact same price so you don't go apeshit on some retail worker.

Why would I do that? They don't have control, the upper management does. You know, like CEOs.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

drat it's like they took a page right out of my day planner

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

drat females charging their phones and poo poo!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

That one has to be a joke. If there is a pattern in the things that this person seems to dislike, I sure as hell can't see it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Didn't mention Flamin' Hot! Cheetos, 0/10

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Or washin' yo pussy in da sink, for that matter.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

:stare:

Posted this in Dumb Marketing but I feel like it's also an idiot on social media.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

If someone is taken in by "made for women" marketing when they can buy the same product cheaper, that's their own fault.

Leg hair is leg hair, goons. Blue razors cut it just as good. Christ.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Boywhiz88 posted:

Posted this in Dumb Marketing but I feel like it's also an idiot on social media.

sniped

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Scathach posted:

If someone is taken in by "made for women" marketing when they can buy the same product cheaper, that's their own fault.

Leg hair is leg hair, goons. Blue razors cut it just as good. Christ.

Obviously the blame then is on the victims.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Hey man, that's not fair. These guys also do a lot of good!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Boywhiz88 posted:

hoping this is fake, jesus christ

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Boywhiz88 posted:

Holy poo poo that entire FB thread is gold.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

change my name posted:

:shittypop:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Lady Naga posted:

Obviously the blame then is on the victims.

I don't count "doesn't compare prices" as being a victim. That's like saying someone that buys more expensive peanut butter because the jar is a nicer color is a victim.

Jesus that poor dog.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

change my name posted:

This abused dog really acts out, I should abuse it more.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Scathach posted:

I don't count "doesn't compare prices" as being a victim. That's like saying someone that buys more expensive peanut butter because the jar is a nicer color is a victim.

Jesus that poor dog.

It is bad that they charge more for women's products, regardless of all the fascinating explanations and asides you all can give. It is bad. That's all.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Scathach posted:

Haha, right? Those stupid women, just buying whatever has the prettiest package, amiright?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Haha, right? Those stupid women, just buying whatever has the prettiest package, amiright?

I'm a woman and I've been buying men's razors forever because they're cheaper and work the same. Same reason I buy cheapo everything else. Sorry I don't see an issue with differently-priced razors, sheesh.

And I'm not saying there isn't a problem, but you'd think differently priced shoes/pants/whatever that are the same besides which gender they're for are a much bigger problem than non-gender-specific razors or hammers that anyone can use.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 22:16 on Jan 25, 2016