Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wintrrmute
Jul 28, 2002

(Borat voice) "MAH WIFE!"
Just came back to Knight to play the DLC. It's a good game, but one of the biggest changes from Asylum, and to a certain degree, City, is the degree of "HDR-like" light bloom throughout the city. Seriously, the city is so uniformly bright from the rooftops, I often don't know what to focus on / can't process everything simultaneously.

What was great about the riddler trophies and hidden shops, etc. in Arkham City was that there was a bit more juxtaposition between dark and light, so you could focus on things and draw the player's attention. Arkham Knight was so uniformly bright with neon lights / lens flares, that I struggled to notice details.

Also, obviously the Batmobile was devise, but the sad part about the bat-mobile is how much wider streets felt, in order to accommodate the car. It really lost that claustrophobic feeling from Arkham City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I feel really bad for anyone who got this on PC. Reading through this thread, it sounds like you guys went through a ton of poo poo and don't really have anything to show for it. So I feel bad, really I do.

That being said...

I got the game for the Xbox One for Christmas and I love the hell out of it. Really great. So much so that I just bought the season pass a couple of days ago (I got the game as a gift, so $29.99 is the only money I've had to drop on this game). Flying around Gotham as 1989 Batman is incredible fun, and I'm enjoying the new Infamy missions.

I do have a question about the season pass though, because this is the first time I've bought as season pass for anything. Was this only for DLC during 2015, and now any new content will not be included? I'm fine if that's the case, I just have no idea how these things work.

Buying the console version and waiting until there was all of this content has really worked out well for me.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

thrawn527 posted:

I feel really bad for anyone who got this on PC. Reading through this thread, it sounds like you guys went through a ton of poo poo and don't really have anything to show for it. So I feel bad, really I do.

That being said...

I got the game for the Xbox One for Christmas and I love the hell out of it. Really great. So much so that I just bought the season pass a couple of days ago (I got the game as a gift, so $29.99 is the only money I've had to drop on this game). Flying around Gotham as 1989 Batman is incredible fun, and I'm enjoying the new Infamy missions.

I do have a question about the season pass though, because this is the first time I've bought as season pass for anything. Was this only for DLC during 2015, and now any new content will not be included? I'm fine if that's the case, I just have no idea how these things work.

Buying the console version and waiting until there was all of this content has really worked out well for me.

That WAS all the content. There's no new. I mean, I think there are a couple of new maps coming out, and one new outfit, but those were gonna be included for everyone, I believe.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

That being said...

There is none more content.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Crappy Jack posted:

That WAS all the content. There's no new. I mean, I think there are a couple of new maps coming out, and one new outfit, but those were gonna be included for everyone, I believe.

Ah okay. I saw people talking about new maps, so I thought there would be some new DLC in the future. If it's just those recycled maps coming soon (and maybe something in April? Though I'm guessing it'll be a new announcement for that new WB Montreal game), that's fine. Thanks.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

Ah okay. I saw people talking about new maps, so I thought there would be some new DLC in the future. If it's just those recycled maps coming soon (and maybe something in April? Though I'm guessing it'll be a new announcement for that new WB Montreal game), that's fine. Thanks.
Looks like the last batch of console DLC (the recycled maps) hits tomorrow.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 25, 2016

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't be surprised to see more season of infamy dlc, especially with that 4-25 easter egg. I haven't completed season of infamy on NG+ but it looks like even with that it would bring you up to 250% completion at most.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Season 2 of Infamy? What villains would there even be left to cover? Everyone worthwhile is accounted for unless they're going to drop some Court of Owls poo poo.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Prometheus, who they have bee hinting at.

Also, the hidden room mentions Penguin and a mysterious killer. So...maybe Flamingo?

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
Or they could patch in an actual Scarecrow endgame boss fight.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

l33t b4c0n posted:

Or they could patch in an actual Scarecrow endgame tank boss fight.

Can't wait.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

l33t b4c0n posted:

He's a crippled man on the tail end of middle aged and he's like a hundred pounds soaking wet. Hell of a fight, that. Then again, the only decent fisticuffs boss fight in the base game was loving Riddler so what do I know.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Medium Cool posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see more season of infamy dlc, especially with that 4-25 easter egg. I haven't completed season of infamy on NG+ but it looks like even with that it would bring you up to 250% completion at most.

240% is confirmed to be the max, you get a new bat suit for it

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

He's a crippled man on the tail end of middle aged and he's like a hundred pounds soaking wet. Hell of a fight, that.

Uh that's why he has a tank, obviously. A fear tank.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

l33t b4c0n posted:

I actually loved their ending, I thought it made a lot of sense to finally have Bruce and Scarecrow face-to-face, the Scarecrow having done everything he promised to do.... and then recoil in fear when Bruce STILL isn't afraid of him. It reminded me of one of the best bits of Asylum, when you come out of the hallucination and Batman has Scarecrow in a choke-grip and he's freaking out going,"How are you still not scared.... who are you? WHAT are you!?! :gonk:" - no need to have a fistfight when Batman has already completely broken him psychologically.

I just recently played through the DLC stuff (though I've barely touched the AR challenges) and even though I was one of the lucky ones who the game always played fine for on PC, the patch did at least show me what I'd been missing in terms of graphics, as everything was far cleaner/crisper than what I'd been used to playing through. The funny thing is that if I try to "optimize" the settings for the game it sets everything to low, but if I leave it all on the "high" settings I had for the game pre-patch, it runs just as well but now looks far, far better.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That still cracks me up about Knight's finale. Scarecrow is reduced to waving a pistol around and gets decked out by a single punch. Serious glass jaw on that fucker.

Also, "Arkham site secured and ready for shutdown" is a surprisingly satisfying message to replace the loading screens with once you 100% Arkham City. Think I'll give it a break before tucking into the Riddler's Revenge though; that is a poo poo load of extra content to wade through.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I haven't touched the game since the DLC started releasing even though I got the season pass because I knew I'd be getting back to it. Did they ever wind up doing additional Dual Predator maps? Considering it was a feature in the teasers it seems like a massive oversight to not have more of it.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

dscruffy1 posted:

I haven't touched the game since the DLC started releasing even though I got the season pass because I knew I'd be getting back to it. Did they ever wind up doing additional Dual Predator maps? Considering it was a feature in the teasers it seems like a massive oversight to not have more of it.

They added two as far as I remember. One with Batman/Robin and one with Batman/Nightwing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
They, coincidentally, have some of the most irritating three star requirements!

And the Arkham Asylum throwback map has the same "blow up three walls and knock out three different enemies in one go" star as its predecessor, wah.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

l33t b4c0n posted:

They added two as far as I remember. One with Batman/Robin and one with Batman/Nightwing.

There's at least one more than that because I definitely remember a Robin/Nightwing one.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
I forgot about the Robin/Nightwing one. They added that in one of the last packs.

I just got the final achievement I needed: Requiem for a Killer. The last challenge pack was frustratingly difficult in places, and I found it really exposed a lot of the issues with the combat system in terms of awkward targeting, attacks not connecting, or enemy attacks connecting when visually they shouldn't be. A lot of it is the new enemy types they added just being very awkward and not fun. I've been a vocal critic of the game in this thread on many occasions.

THAT SAID...

The epic feeling of getting that achievement managed to actually leave me feeling good about the game. Developing enough of a flow to reach 20 head-to-head points was satisfying. I admit that I was wondering how they would modify Crocs mechanics to accommodate it being a solo fight. Of course, Nightwing jumps in and realize my reward was not so much a Croc fight, but rather an endless tag-team fight. Very cool. If only you could choose to start it tag team on future rounds - THAT would be the best reward.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
So, uh, nope nobody running a Mac or Linux was still waiting for AK to come out...

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
For how great the PC ports were for the first two games, I can't believe how badly they dropped the ball on this one. Holy poo poo.

avisgoth
May 7, 2003

"Are you OK, or are you just fat?"
So is this game worth the sale currently going on? PC version on Steam is $23.99...I'm on the fence.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
If you like the series, then yes.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

avisgoth posted:

So is this game worth the sale currently going on? PC version on Steam is $23.99...I'm on the fence.

PC performance is still hit and miss. They apparently "fixed" it but I rarely noticed the difference.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

avisgoth posted:

If it runs for you then it's more of the same of Asylum and City (which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned) and well worth the price. If it doesn't run, you can always request a refund because the game doesn't work (or does but only with extremely limited graphics/framerate etc).

I was lucky in that it always ran fine, the recent patches make the game look better and it runs about as well as it did before. Many others it wouldn't run for them at all, and I believe the patches have improved that though there are still a number of people who the game still simply won't run for.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The patch made a huge difference for me for performance.

The game itself is still good (with some brilliant sections), but the fundamental flaws drag it down a bit. It's a bit of a letdown after Asylum and City, and maybe on par with Origins (although with different strengths and weaknesses).

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

l33t b4c0n posted:

I just got the final achievement I needed: Requiem for a Killer.

The Throwback maps made me realize how bad I actually am at the game. I got all base trophies for the game, got a lot of the DLC ones and figured that with a bit of patience I could get everything and fulfill that spergy completionist in me...

I will never get a million points on the Iceberg Lounge. :negative:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Any news on Mysterious 4 25 Door Thing? I checked and it doesn't match the isolation doors from asylum.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Any news on Mysterious 4 25 Door Thing? I checked and it doesn't match the isolation doors from asylum.
There's really not much else to go on besides what you see, so the main guess is that there will be some kind of announcement on April 25. But otherwise it's a bunch of completely random speculation, and nobody actually knows anything yet.

There's always this reddit thread that is full of wannabe cluemasters.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 4, 2016

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Shindragon posted:

PC performance is still hit and miss. They apparently "fixed" it but I rarely noticed the difference.

They definitely fixed the texture streaming and AA issues (for me at least) but yeah, not much in terms of frames/second.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

redbackground posted:

There's really not much else to go on besides what you see, so the main guess is that there will be some kind of announcement on April 25. But otherwise it's a bunch of completely random speculation, and nobody actually knows anything yet.

There's always this reddit thread that is full of wannabe cluemasters.

Well, I am a certified videogame cluemaster, so I'll give it a quick look.

edit: christ, I hate reddit. My favorite part is where one redditor points out a really explicit, promising potential lead: "If you go into ra's lair there is a card with coordinates on it along side the book from the mansion" and nobody notices or cares. It looks like a pretty simple layout puzzle, but since I still don't have the game, I'll just wait for someone else to solve it.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 4, 2016

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

poptart_fairy posted:

The Throwback maps made me realize how bad I actually am at the game. I got all base trophies for the game, got a lot of the DLC ones and figured that with a bit of patience I could get everything and fulfill that spergy completionist in me...

I will never get a million points on the Iceberg Lounge. :negative:

It made me feel the same way, but it also made me realize I was over-reliant on some moves and neglected others. For Iceberg lounge, do not let your combo drop. My primary moves were Critical Strikes, Batclaw Slams to handle guys electrically charged by medics, and Disarm-and-Destroy Takedowns to get rid of shields and stun batons. The disarm-and-destroy is really key, as it means you can freely do Critical Strikes without accidentally dropping the combo. The Batclaw Slams also have a nice long animation during which you're not vulnerable, giving you some breathing room. Honestly the bulk of the time was spent zipping between enemies. Don't take out medics, as they will keep charging guys giving you free slams. When my combo hit x400, the first brute was coming out. I hit 20 head-to-head points shortly after that.

Take it calm and unaggressively. I would take "breathers" by just spending time flipping over enemies to keep the combo going until I felt in a comfortable position to resume attacks. And DO NOT attempt a blade dodge takedown. Yeah it's worth a ton of points, but it's too risky.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
So I'm going through the DLC combat maps pretty much for the first time since I got the game. Something...I dunno, just feels wrong about the combat. I've said before that it seems harder or faster, but now it feels more like the enemy prioritization is off for different attacks, or when you're surrounded by many different enemy variations. Or enemies don't respond properly, like vaulting over an electrified grunt. Combat feels sluggish and I guess I just can't put my finger on why. Maybe because I haven't played this one as much as the other three.

Also blade combos seem to come out with different timing every time but that might be intentional.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Would the game have done better if tank eventually became a robot so you could have a true metal on metal slug fest with Riddler?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crabtree posted:

Would the game have done better if tank eventually became a robot so you could have a true metal on metal slug fest with Riddler?

Yes.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I mean, he's already basically in robot body armor at this point so why not Bat Mech as well? If only to watch Riddler have the greatest melt down ever when Batman pulls a loving robot car out of his hat in the fight.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

dscruffy1 posted:

So I'm going through the DLC combat maps pretty much for the first time since I got the game. Something...I dunno, just feels wrong about the combat. I've said before that it seems harder or faster, but now it feels more like the enemy prioritization is off for different attacks, or when you're surrounded by many different enemy variations. Or enemies don't respond properly, like vaulting over an electrified grunt. Combat feels sluggish and I guess I just can't put my finger on why. Maybe because I haven't played this one as much as the other three.

Also blade combos seem to come out with different timing every time but that might be intentional.
I don't know if this is related, but there is a lot of commenting on the WB forums on how a recent patch hosed up combat map...combat:

https://community.wbgames.com/t5/Support/Slower-Combat-Speed-in-Patch-1-13/m-p/1025328#U1025328

https://community.wbgames.com/t5/Batman-Arkham-Knight-General/URGENT-regarding-NEW-Patch-1-13-PS4/m-p/1019483#U1019483

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Haha loving hell.

• Locked thread