Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

skipdogg posted:

I'd be worried how long it can hold up to those 5K clutch dumps. I get the impression they're at like 90% of what the drive train can handle.

They said that almost verbatim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Calidus posted:

Is the RS priced crazy high in Canada or are the GLA and STI priced lower than the competition?

It's just ford being a pile of dicks. In canada, you can buy nearly 3 base model focuses for the price of 1 RS. You can buy more than 3 base model mustangs for the price of 1 GT350R.

In the US, you can only get 2 base model focuses for the price of an RS.

When our dollar hit par, it took 5 years to even get near the par price on cars. now that the dollar is fallen again, some manufacturers are slowly adjusting back up like they adjusted down, but on niche stuff, it's an instant gently caress you.

The price of similar 2016 vehicles:

FoRS: $46,969+dest($1700-$2200) for a total of $48,669-$49,169
Golf R: $39,995+dest
GTI: $29,595+dest
Audi S3: $45,400
CLA/GLA 45 AMG: $51,700
BMW M235i: 51,812
WRX STI: $37,995 + dest
lancer evo GSR: $41098

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Farking Bastage posted:

They said that almost verbatim.

Who? I feel like there was one random dude who mentioned it in a forum post and everybody is taking it as gospel. Cars aren't even in people's loving hands yet. If a guy worked at Ford and said that pre release, then he's either incredibly dumb and doesn't value his job, or fake posting poo poo.

Edit: guess the Jalop article says something similar. Well, that sucks. I'm old enough at this point that I probably wouldn't mod a car like that anyway. Also old enough to not buy a 36k focus. :)

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 26, 2016

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Larrymer posted:

Who? I feel like there was one random dude who mentioned it in a forum post and everybody is taking it as gospel. Cars aren't even in people's loving hands yet. If a guy worked at Ford and said that pre release, then he's either incredibly dumb and doesn't value his job, or fake posting poo poo.

Edit: guess the Jalop article says something similar. Well, that sucks. I'm old enough at this point that I probably wouldn't mod a car like that anyway. Also old enough to not buy a 36k focus. :)

Old enough to not drive a car with a Dorift-o Mode™.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
Just priced a Focus RS, Nitrous Blue, in Canada. Comes out to $56,121 with taxes. :wtc:

its okay didn't really want to afford one anyways... :(

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Calidus posted:

Is the RS priced crazy high in Canada

This one.

Ford's prices are insane across the board these days, actually.

Powershift posted:

GTI: $29,595+dest

And that's the base 3-door, if you want a 5-door performance pack it's $38k.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
What about that golf r420 coming out?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Larrymer posted:

Also old enough to not buy a 36k focus. :)

Why do people keep saying this? Exactly how much of a "Focus" do you think is still in there?

Nobody bats an eye at spending 36k+ for these piles:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

BoostCreep posted:

Why do people keep saying this? Exactly how much of a "Focus" do you think is still in there?

It's an unoriginal trope that I guess people say when they want to be clever and be a sort of dissenting voice in the face of universal praise, it isn't actually based on anything real.
Hot hatches own and I would totally buy a ~36k~ Focus provided it was fast and didn't give up it's practicality at all. Oh this hatchback has 350hp, is a 6 speed manual and has AWD and comes in a wicked sweet blue color lmao are you loving kidding me of course. The only way you could get even more on point is if it came in brown.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BoostCreep posted:

I wouldn't pay 36k for one or those, either. For that money I'd get a V8 RWD pony car if I wanted power or something else instead like a 3 series type luxury car (ATS or CTS or something similiar). Different strokes.

It's a cool car and I'm glad it's making it here for sure, but it just isn't for me. If those things are what you value in a car then it may be a bargain for 36k for you, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's worth the same to me.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 26, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You can't buy a "3 series type luxury car" for $36k unless you want a 320i.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

2015 BMW 328i Sedan MOONROOF, DARK BURL WALNUT WOOD TRIM 2,470 miles $32,985

Certified 2015 BMW 328i Sedan NAVIGATION SYSTEM W/TOUCHPAD, MOONROOF, DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE, HEATED FRONT SEATS, DARK BURL WALNUT WOOD TRIM 6,355 miles $34,500

The gently caress you on about? The only type of 3-series you can't easily get for that kind of money is a 335 'vert.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ooh, a drat near base used 328i. Fancy AND fun!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sigma X posted:

2015 BMW 328i Sedan MOONROOF, DARK BURL WALNUT WOOD TRIM 2,470 miles $32,985

Certified 2015 BMW 328i Sedan NAVIGATION SYSTEM W/TOUCHPAD, MOONROOF, DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE, HEATED FRONT SEATS, DARK BURL WALNUT WOOD TRIM 6,355 miles $34,500

The gently caress you on about? The only type of 3-series you can't easily get for that kind of money is a 335 'vert.

once you get in to used cars you're significantly in to apples and oranges territory

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Used vs New is not comparable. You might cross shop them that way, and you'll get a much better deal that way most of the time, but a used car is not equivalent to a new car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I have to say that, while the RS looks like ten kinds of fun, from a practical, single DD sort of perspective the Golf R is quite a bit more appealing. I'm getting old.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I have to say that, while the RS looks like ten kinds of fun, from a practical, single DD sort of perspective the Golf R is quite a bit more appealing. I'm getting old.

What you, as a grown man, don't want to drive a NITROUS BLUE car wherever you go?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The RS is extremely appealing to me but my R is really comfortable and I'm guessing that, in practice, the better car for me personally for basically why you say. The blue and the giant wing wrap past boy ricer back to 'loving cool as hell' but I don't know what that would be like to live with. I like having a white R as it's ignored by everyone save for the ricer guys that have something to prove, and everyone ignores those guys because lol.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I have a really long commute that killed the idea of an RS for me. If I had my old 10 minute commute it would have been fine, but I can't see spending 3 hours a day once or twice a week in a RS.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
How does the RS have an extra 60 hp over the Golf R and still pull the same 0-60 time?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

How does the RS have an extra 60 hp over the Golf R and still pull the same 0-60 time?

I'm assuming because it only has a manual option. The manual R is 5.2 vs 4.7 on the auto.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Because the RS time is 0-62.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is true.

Also true is that you'd have to be buying a VAG car right now, which I am not remotely inclined to do.

I'm finishing off one car payment, and when that is done I'll probably be looking at a new Camaro. I want to get a 'hot hatch' but the Focus ST is a bit too cartoonish for me, and the RS is a bit too 'expensive' for me.

I think I've just moved into 'I want a big V8 and RWD' territory.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The ATS I mentioned in my post is under that. 2.0T right around 36k. Regardless, my point was that it wasn't worth it to me... which is a bit weird considering the only new cars I've ever bought were turbo hatchbacks with 6 speed manuals.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I like the car. I like it a lot. I DD 30 miles one way in a 2013 WRX, that I paid 26.5 for that I know is a solid proven design. If I were to step into one of these it would be a few models years down the road once they get the bugs out. Not to mention it's clearly into V8 RWD or even some *really* nice roadster territory.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Bovril Delight posted:

I'm assuming because it only has a manual option. The manual R is 5.2 vs 4.7 on the auto.

Ah, that makes sense. For some reason I was thinking that the RS was going to be auto only not manual only.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

fyodor posted:

What you, as a grown man, don't want to drive a NITROUS BLUE car wherever you go?

The color is actually extremely rad, but the wings and whatnot are a bit much. The ST that I own appealed to me in part because it's pretty under the radar.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I would drive all these cars. I'm lucky that the recaros in my ST fit me well enough that I was comfortable driving cross country in it. I also didn't really think the interior of the gti was much nicer than the st3 focus. Not sure if the golf r's interior is any nicer than the gti. The spoiler on the rs is a bit much, but that blue is beautiful.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Optimus Subprime posted:

I would drive all these cars. I'm lucky that the recaros in my ST fit me well enough that I was comfortable driving cross country in it. I also didn't really think the interior of the gti was much nicer than the st3 focus. Not sure if the golf r's interior is any nicer than the gti. The spoiler on the rs is a bit much, but that blue is beautiful.

The GTI doesn't get actual leather unless VW has changed things. The leather in my R is nice. Cold but nice. Seat warmers are a godsend in this weather.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Yeah I originally didn't think much of the heated steering wheel in my ST, but its been a nice thing to have on cold mornings.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Optimus Subprime posted:

Yeah I originally didn't think much of the heated steering wheel in my ST, but its been a nice thing to have on cold mornings.

Heated what now?

After switching to an aluminum shifter knob, it's the coldest thing I have to worry about in the winter. In fact, I might change it back to stock until it warms up a little.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 26, 2016

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

The ST3 package of the focus ST comes with a heated steering wheel and front seats. It's nice.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

The Ferret King posted:

Heated what now?

After switching to an aluminum shifter knob, it's the coldest thing I have to worry about in the winter. In fact, I might change it back to stock until it warms up a little.

I've debated on putting a sock on my shifter on some of the colder days.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Optimus Subprime posted:

The ST3 package of the focus ST comes with a heated steering wheel and front seats. It's nice.

Maybe that's new? My 2014 doesn't have that. I have heated seats though.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Yeah the MY2015 has a different steering wheel with a flat bottom.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

tijag posted:

This is true.

Also true is that you'd have to be buying a VAG car right now, which I am not remotely inclined to do.

I'm finishing off one car payment, and when that is done I'll probably be looking at a new Camaro. I want to get a 'hot hatch' but the Focus ST is a bit too cartoonish for me, and the RS is a bit too 'expensive' for me.

I think I've just moved into 'I want a big V8 and RWD' territory.

Test drove a V6 Camaro recently. The rear sight lines are bad. When I mentioned this to the sales manager he said when he takes one out, he just makes sure he's ahead of everybody. Winning strategy.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

The Ferret King posted:

Just wait until the summer, when the sun has heated it up for 8 hours and then you grab it

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

veedubfreak posted:

The GTI doesn't get actual leather unless VW has changed things. The leather in my R is nice. Cold but nice. Seat warmers are a godsend in this weather.

GTI Autobahn gets leather. It's pretty nice.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Dr.Caligari posted:

Just wait until the summer, when the sun has heated it up for 8 hours and then you grab it

I'm drat near religious about using a sun screen when I park the car. Keeps the belt buckles and shifter from becoming completely hazardous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Please post your recommendations for a sun screen that isn't bullshit. Thanks in advance.