Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I just hope that this business with Sanji leads to the Strawhats crashing the Reverie. Shouldn't the nobles be convening in Mariejois soon? Sounds like a great place for a royal wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I doubt it, if only because Nami having a vivre card specifically for Lola's mom would seem kind of unnecessary if the wedding is in a big, obvious public place like Mariejois and that link is almost definitely going to be bear fruit here.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

tsob posted:

I'd say tragic backstory topping was present since the very beginning of One Piece personally, since the backstories got more and more tragic as time went on and really started getting melodramatic and tear-jerking with Nami at Arlong Park. I don't even think it' necessarily a bad thing, though I do think going back over Sanji, Zoro and Usopp's stories again to make them more so like Luffy's has done is perhaps over-doing things. That's more a fault of Oda trying to take something he's already established relatively early and trying to make it even better to fall in line with what he's done since. The straw hat being a good example. It was fine as just a random straw hat that Shanks owned and Luffy treasured because Shanks gave it to him. It didn't need to be more and now it's something that was passed from Roger to Shanks to Luffy. It does serve some narrative purpose, but I preferred it as it originally was. I can totally see him doing the same with Sanji here and Zoro when we get to Wano somehow or other, but I hope he doesn't.

I believe there's an SBS quote about why only some characters have surnames that says that the characters with surnames have surnames for a reason. Zoro has a surname and I don't think we know why yet, though it could be a plot point lost to time or simply a name for the sake of being cool. I wouldn't be surprised to see that come up in the future. Also Sanji's wanted poster ties in really well to this plot, whether it was meant to or not, and he was previously established to be from North Blue for some reason. Whether or not Oda intended things to turn out exactly this way, it's far from hamfisted and that makes me okay with it. Also, Sanji might get to be cool again! :3

The straw hat is kinda meh though, yeah.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The only problem that I have wit the lineage of the straw hat is that it's kind of a clunky visual representation of the already established inheriting of will.

U-DO Burger posted:

I just hope that this business with Sanji leads to the Strawhats crashing the Reverie. Shouldn't the nobles be convening in Mariejois soon? Sounds like a great place for a royal wedding.

They've been set up to crash Reverie for a while, I don't see why they need Sanji to do it.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I do think it's a bit odd how the whole World Nobles subplot was introduced so late into the game, especially considering how big of an impact it has on the setting and key character backgrounds in these recent years.

They just popped into the scene at the halfway point of the story, and then are shoehorned into every story element Oda can think of. It's even in Luffy's backstory now, and he never mentioned it at all prior till then.

I think it's a neat element to the narrative, but it could have been handled a bit better with subtle hints or references into the earlier story arcs. It's such a huge deal now and when it was introduced back in Shabony I thought it was gonna be more of an isolated Story Arc problem instead of the all-encompassing story beat that was weaved into the central narrative.

I guess Oda didn't really have much of an idea about the Nobles untill that part of the story and is now trying to recon a few backstories so it feels more organic, but I think this is something that would have worked better if he introduced at the end between the exposition of Alabasta and Jaya

White Light fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 26, 2016

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Gyges posted:

They've been set up to crash Reverie for a while, I don't see why they need Sanji to do it.

Yeah, but they're not going to crash Reverie just for the hell of it, there's not enough burning shounen spirit in that. They need a personal reason first

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm a big fan of oda bringing up the fact the audience just handwaved away the fact sanji should clearly not have been in east blue

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Parrotine posted:

They just popped into the scene at the halfway point of the story, and then are shoehorned into every story element Oda can think of. It's even in Luffy's backstory now, and he never mentioned it at all prior till then.

To be fair, it's totally within Luffy's character to just not mention something that important.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

To be fair, it's totally within Luffy's character to just not mention something that important.

I thought Luffy legitimately didn't know that they guy who shot Sabo was a World Noble.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Narrative wise, no one really gives a poo poo about East Blue so they had no reason to come into the story until around the time they did. Before they got to Sabaody the only other place it would have really made any sense for them to show up is maybe Water 7 or perhaps Alibasta. Both places already in a situation where they wouldn't be there due to either the impending Aqua Lagoona or the impending civil war.

U-DO Burger posted:

Yeah, but they're not going to crash Reverie just for the hell of it, there's not enough burning shounen spirit in that. They need a personal reason first

Luffy is virtually defined by doing things for the hell of it.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I thought Luffy legitimately didn't know that they guy who shot Sabo was a World Noble.

Yeah Luffy didn't know about them at all. All he knew was Sabos ship got blown up.

Most of the people in the oceans outside of the Grand Line probably never even see them, even visiting the Goa Kingdom was supposed to be a rare and monumental event for the city the rich folk were staying in.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Re: the Straw Hat

I mean, as it stands now, it sort of IS something inconsequential and sentimental. It's only important to Shanks because Roger gave it to him, and he apparently gave it to him while they were still sailing together, so it's not even a parting gift when Roger died. It's important to Luffy because it belonged to Shanks. It would be stupid if it's like, the key to getting to Raftel or something important, but I seriously doubt Oda will be that corny.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Advice posted:

Re: the Straw Hat

I mean, as it stands now, it sort of IS something inconsequential and sentimental. It's only important to Shanks because Roger gave it to him, and he apparently gave it to him while they were still sailing together, so it's not even a parting gift when Roger died. It's important to Luffy because it belonged to Shanks. It would be stupid if it's like, the key to getting to Raftel or something important, but I seriously doubt Oda will be that corny.

The hat was the One Piece all along

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

AnonSpore posted:

The hat was the One Piece all along

There's a hidden piece of fabric stitched into the red band of the straw hat with text written in Poneglyph font. This is the true Rio Poneglyph with the key to unlocking a secret treasure box on Raftel.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

There is a zero percent chance the secret Sanji heard was not "your fiancee is the hottest woman this side of the Red Line."

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Rangpur posted:

There is a zero percent chance the secret Sanji heard was not "your fiancee is the hottest woman this side of the Red Line."

Boa Hancock will not be pleased to hear this.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

socialsecurity posted:

Boa Hancock will not be pleased to hear this.

She is on the other side of the Red line as far as we know so it is still valid.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Found this on some unbelievably bad anime FB clickbait thing.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I think the reverie is going to be a big anti-strawhat commitee where all our Kingly friends of the last 2 decades break away from the world government. World goes into huge war, blackbeard makes a speech, Luffy awakens turns the entire redline into rubber, Raftel is actually the moon and the final boss is Enel's robot army.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Something huge is bound to go down at Reverie but I don't think it'll directly involve the Strawhats. I think it's much more likely to be an antagonist trying to do something to seize more control and upset the balance of power - whether it's Blackbeard, Akainu, or someone else. I could totally see Strawhat-friendly countries seceding from the World Government if given a compelling enough reason.

I just don't see the Strawhats doubling back to Mariejois at this point in the story.

jassa fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 27, 2016

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

jassa posted:

I just don't see the Strawhats doubling back to Mariejois at this point in the story.

They pretty much have to at some point. The WG is a major antagonist factor in the OP universe that needs to be dealt with for the story to have a conclusion.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Luffy immediately goes back to punch out the WG, manga ends

Epilogue arc shows the aftermath of the fall of the WG, Luffy collects the One Piece in a cover story

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Luffy immediately goes back to punch out the WG, manga ends

Epilogue arc shows the aftermath of the fall of the WG, Luffy collects the One Piece in a cover story

He winds up and punches Mariejois all the way from Raftel.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
Just realized that Jinbei joining the crew will make sailing a complete joke. Hell, with all the joy boy stuff it's probably a 100% requirement that you need a strong fishman on your crew to reach Raftel.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

jassa posted:

After they land on Raftel they can just walk along the Red Line to get there. There's no way Franky can't put some giant monster truck tires on the Sunny so they can do a Redline race bit.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Now I want One Piece: Fury Road. The Straw Hats on monster truck Sunny being trailed by Blackbeard's raft on treads. Jesus could be a good Rictus.

Any excuse to post this art again:

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Was that drawn by Oda?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
no, but it's an incredibly good reproduction of his art.

I feel like he might have actually mentioned it/retweeted it once, too

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Wait, what? I thought he did it as a nod to MM:FR, which he enjoyed a lot.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there appears to be a signature on the windshield of the central vehicle that doesn't look like it'd belong to oda

also I believe someone debunked it being oda's the first time it got posted

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm digging bullets-wig man on the far right and skull-face dude with the googles on the middle-left.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Have you not seen fury road? You should probably see fury road!

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

there appears to be a signature on the windshield of the central vehicle that doesn't look like it'd belong to oda

also I believe someone debunked it being oda's the first time it got posted

For anyone who wants it, here's the original on the artist's page.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 814 is out.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

A Garfield joke in One Piece? Wow.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
No one called that. That's interesting

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Getting to the answer about Sanji's family quickly is cool. The fact that it doesn't seem to be the obvious answer is even cooler.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Cat viper is amazing!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Angry Lobster posted:

A Garfield joke in One Piece? Wow.

I also read the meows on that page in the meow-mix theme song...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Looks like Sanji is a Zoldyck