Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

that are funny like The Goon

How much Goon have you read? Because that series hasn't been "funny" in a long time. Well, black humor at times, I guess. Or if you think super depressing things are funny.

If you liked Y, check out BKV's other work. Saga is the Big Thing right now (definitely pick it up if you like sci-fi, fantasy, and intense family drama). He recently started Paper Girls, which is a bit of a throw back to 80's teen movies and is pretty good outside of the nostalgia factor (the nostalgia factor is actually a minus for me, but I'm really digging this series). If sci-fi detective stories are more your thing, you can go to Panel Syndicate and pick up Private Eye for pay-what-you-wish (even $0). Grab a few issues and see if you like it, then throw some $$$ their way or pick up the nice hardcover that Image recently released.
http://panelsyndicate.com/comics/tpeye

When you say "funny adventure", my first thought it Atomic Robo. Sarcastic robot has science adventures. The issues have recently been put up online as a webcomic, if you want a taste.
http://www.atomic-robo.com/

I'm sure other will have better suggestions on the humor front.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Uthor posted:

How much Goon have you read? Because that series hasn't been "funny" in a long time. Well, black humor at times, I guess. Or if you think super depressing things are funny.

If you liked Y, check out BKV's other work. Saga is the Big Thing right now (definitely pick it up if you like sci-fi, fantasy, and intense family drama). He recently started Paper Girls, which is a bit of a throw back to 80's teen movies and is pretty good outside of the nostalgia factor (the nostalgia factor is actually a minus for me, but I'm really digging this series). If sci-fi detective stories are more your thing, you can go to Panel Syndicate and pick up Private Eye for pay-what-you-wish (even $0). Grab a few issues and see if you like it, then throw some $$$ their way or pick up the nice hardcover that Image recently released.
http://panelsyndicate.com/comics/tpeye

It's been a long time since I've read them and I haven't read much past the first 3-4 trade paperbacks. I guess it takes a dark turn? I'll definitely check out Saga and Private Eye, thanks for the recommendation.

Any good "funny" books out there anymore? I wish another Tales Designed to Thrizzle would come out.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

datingvolcanoes posted:

I've been using the winter to slowly creep my way back to catching up. I just finished on the Marvel side, I have a giant stack of indie books I'm going through, and now, after safely viewing the weird poo poo DC's been through from a safe distance, I'm curious to see read any good/interesting runs from the last two years or so.

I'm not usually a fan of their general talent pool, but seeing de-powered Superman, Jim Gordon's Robocop , JLA New Gods, and a Robin Army, I have to know. What's worth checking out and where should I jump in?

It's worth noting I am not a huge fan of Johns, all things considered, but if it's a decent story, I won't were him off immediately.
The DC stuff I'm enjoying right now are Batgirl (since the soft relaunch), Black Canary, Midnighter and Doctor Fate (which is a little bit slow moving, but pretty good otherwise).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Any good "funny" books out there anymore? I wish another Tales Designed to Thrizzle would come out.

Someone help a brother out!

I mentioned Atomic Robo in an edit to my first post. I don't read that many humor comics, so don't have super specific recommendations.

Sex Criminals is generally funny, especially if you like genitalia based puns.
I think Chip's (artist on SexCrims) Howard the Duck series is generally well regarded.
I recommend Kate Beaton's work to anyone that asks (http://www.harkavagrant.com/).
Rat Queens is a goofy D&D based fantasy comic if you like your humor skewing crude.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Any good "funny" books out there anymore?

Prez.

SynthOrange posted:

The future is horrifying in Prez #2

Uthor posted:

At least it's good to know that Congress hasn't changed one bit.

bobkatt013 posted:

I needed to add the rest of the page

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm not finding anything quite like it, but are there any other Big Superhero Universe comics I could read, not Marvel or DC? Either that or a Marvel series that can be read standalone and doesn't require crossreading every other series, really.

The last thing I read that scratched that itch was Invincible and it was everything I wanted. Hell I might just go read it again.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I'm not finding anything quite like it, but are there any other Big Superhero Universe comics I could read, not Marvel or DC? Either that or a Marvel series that can be read standalone and doesn't require crossreading every other series, really.

The last thing I read that scratched that itch was Invincible and it was everything I wanted. Hell I might just go read it again.
Warren Ellis' Authority

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Tried Valiant stuff?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Tried Valiant stuff?

Yeah, that's basically exactly Valiant.

There are, however, a ton of comics by the Big Two you can read without caring about crossovers. It broadly just involves turning off the bit of your brain that needs to know every detail. Squirrel Girl, Hellcat, Silk, Captain Marvel (so far), Spider-Woman, Wolverine, Daredevil... none of which have any major problems with you only reading that series.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Valiant looks pretty interesting, thanks!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Valiant does have a bunch of crossovers, thought they tend to be at most between just two books. All their major events are standalones.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I just recently dove into Valiant and they're trouncing the big two in terms of quality by a county mile. The Valiant thread is friendly and consists of reports from the field of "yup, still awesome."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hugoon Chavez posted:

If you enjoyed Invincible, you might like Dynamo 5 by Jay Faerber and Mahmud Asrar.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wheat Loaf posted:

If you enjoyed Invincible, you might like Dynamo 5 by Jay Faerber and Mahmud Asrar.

Dynamo 5 is good stuff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I see that's a 25 issue run, did it get a chance to wrap up or was it yanked?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I dug up a box of some of my old comics and had a blast reading them over the weekend. Titles like The Goon, Y The Last Man, and American Splendor (probably my favorite). I've been out of the loop so long I wouldn't even know which titles are worth my hard earned money anymore. I typically don't like superhero comics, although I really liked The Watchman, and some of the Batman titles like The Last Halloween friends have loaned me. Any other books out right now like that are funny like The Goon or American Splendor or non-superhero adventure stories like Y The Last Man?

To my own embarrassment I mostly read cape books, but Sex Criminals and Bitch Planet are pretty amazing on the non superhero front.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

I see that's a 25 issue run, did it get a chance to wrap up or was it yanked?

There's 26 issues, including the 0 issue, the Annual and the Holiday Special and then there's a five issue mini that picks up after the series. It was not yanked, it was ended by the creators but they left the door open to do more down the line. It takes place in the same universe as Faerber's Noble Causes which is not as good but still a fun but different kind of read.

The Dynamo 5 are all illegitimate kids of Captain Dynamo, a Superman analogue of sorts who was all into the spoils that come along with being a famous superhero. Each of them have one of the superpowers their father had. After he dies his widow tracks them down and forms them into a team to try and replace him. It's a fun book.

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 26, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Fraction's Hawkeye didn't crossover with anything, same with his Iron Fist. Spurrier's X-Men Legacy acknowledged events that happened but you can probably read all of it without knowing much about anything else. Ms. Marvel is the same way.

Honestly I think a good rule of thumb is to not worry too much about crossovers. If you're reading back issues either skip the relevant issues or look at Wikipedia or ask here for the relevant information you're missing.
Edit:
Oh, I just realized, read Ultimate Spider-Man, you can read nothing but that and have literally hundreds of issues without having to worry about crossovers.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 26, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I like how Al Ewing's Loki: Agent of Asgard crossed over with a bunch of stuff, but since it was a story about stories and about characters changing to suit their roles in those stories, it worked perfectly on a meta level.

It, along with Kieron Gillen's Journey Into Mystery before it, are really good (mostly) stand alone series.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I'm a huge fan of Mike Allred's Madman continuity. There are three Madman TPBs from Image Comics reprinting all his '90s and early '00s work from Tundra, Kitchen Sink, and Dark Horse, then a Madman and the Atomics TPB reprinting Atomics #1-15 (often starring Madman with a bunch of new superheroes he inspired and helped out), and then three Madman Atomic Comics TPBs. The writing has a childlike (not childish) sense of wonder to it -- very "Aw shucks, gee whiz," which pairs well with Allred's retro pop art/Silver Age-style artwork and his wife Laura's coloring. But the comics come across as totally sincere, well-intentioned, fun, heartfelt, sweet, occasionally funny, occasionally gross, and sometimes very deep and philosophical.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm a huge fan of Mike Allred's Madman continuity. There are three Madman TPBs from Image Comics reprinting all his '90s and early '00s work from Tundra, Kitchen Sink, and Dark Horse, then a Madman and the Atomics TPB reprinting Atomics #1-15 (often starring Madman with a bunch of new superheroes he inspired and helped out), and then three Madman Atomic Comics TPBs. The writing has a childlike (not childish) sense of wonder to it -- very "Aw shucks, gee whiz," which pairs well with Allred's retro pop art/Silver Age-style artwork and his wife Laura's coloring. But the comics come across as totally sincere, well-intentioned, fun, heartfelt, sweet, occasionally funny, occasionally gross, and sometimes very deep and philosophical.

There is also Red Rocket 7 which ties into Madman and its really good. Its rock and roll and science fiction, with some Allred insanity. Another great Madman comic is the crossover when he meets Superman.

Some other great standalone series are Hellboy and BPRD. You can read each one by itself and while they have references to the other titles, but they never really crossover.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

There's 26 issues, including the 0 issue, the Annual and the Holiday Special and then there's a five issue mini that picks up after the series. It was not yanked, it was ended by the creators but they left the door open to do more down the line. It takes place in the same universe as Faerber's Noble Causes which is not as good but still a fun but different kind of read.

Faerber was working on a second miniseries with Julio Brilha (who pencilled the first miniseries) a few years ago, but nothing ever came of it. I think it was a question of the first one not doing as well as they'd hoped.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I love Brandon Graham, Prophet and Multiple Warheads are my favorites. I'm subscribed to 8House, Island, Prophet Earth War, and The Goddamned (love the concept). I haven't payed attention to comic stuff in a long time, so is there some new series I should be reading that's Graham-like? I'm going to be very bummed when Prophet is done, it's one of my favorite things.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

You should read King City.
http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=244463

You would probably like Manhattan Projects and/or East of West.

FYI, 8House is going to stop and is getting replaced by the individual titles without the 8House name. I'm a little confused by the whole thing as I haven't found a good explanation of what books one will need to get to continue the stories. I think Mirror is another story related to 8House starting next month.
https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/mirror-1

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Uthor posted:

You should read King City.
http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=244463

You would probably like Manhattan Projects and/or East of West.

FYI, 8House is going to stop and is getting replaced by the individual titles without the 8House name. I'm a little confused by the whole thing as I haven't found a good explanation of what books one will need to get to continue the stories. I think Mirror is another story related to 8House starting next month.
https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/mirror-1

I have no idea why I have not read King City, but I just ordered it on Amazon, so I'll fix that.

I've read the first Manhattan Project series but I heard the The Sun Beyond The Stars isn't very good so skipped it. Maybe I'll check it out, I did enjoy the first quite a bit. Apparently I bought the first 4 TPs of East of West, probably during an Image sale on Comixology. I'm going to spend the afternoon reading it.

Thanks for the info on 8House, I'll have to pay attention. Hopefully there'll be some type of explanation in the comic itself so I know what to buy. I'm really looking forward to Arclight 3.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm enjoying comic series that explore the themes of gods such as Thor, Loki: AoA, The Wicked + The Divine and Hercules. Any other good god series out there? Preferably non-Marvel as that's got me filled for now.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sun Beyond the Stars is good. The problem is that it's coming out incredibly slowly. Pick it up when it's collected.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 27, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm enjoying comic series that explore the themes of gods such as Thor, Loki: AoA, The Wicked + The Divine and Hercules. Any other good god series out there? Preferably non-Marvel as that's got me filled for now.

Joe Casey and Tom Scioli's Godland kind of explores the themes of gods coming from a science perspective. It's mainly an homage to early Fantastic Four comics, especially with the Kirby-esque artwork.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B8dland

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Ibblebibble posted:

Walt Simonson's Ragnarok

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ibblebibble posted:

Goddamned my friend.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ibblebibble posted:

Oh, duh, The Sandman and/or Lucifer.

Maybe Preacher???

If you like Wick+Div and Loki: AoA, have you read Kieron Gillen's Journey into Mystery run?
http://www.amazon.com/Journey-into-Mystery-Kieron-Gillen/dp/0785185577/ref=sr_1_2
http://www.amazon.com/Journey-Into-Mystery-Kieron-Gillen/dp/0785185747/ref=pd_bxgy_14_2

Uthor fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 27, 2016

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
Maybe you guys can help me with this, a long time ago I got a graphic novel out of the liabrary, it was very thick like 1000 pages and about half a page in size. It tells the story of a family going to a beach home for the weekend and one character is an adopted teenager who has a frog face otherwise everyone looks normal. The art style is very simple with just clean lines in black and white. There is a scene where the frog kid masturbates that is very sad. What is this book I want to re-read it as it has stuck with me for 10 years. I know I saw it on some best of lists that year too.

Help! even though I know BSS traffics in more mainstream affairs.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Uthor posted:

Oh, duh, The Sandman and/or Lucifer.

Maybe Preacher???

If you like Wick+Div and Loki: AoA, have you read Kieron Gillen's Journey into Mystery run?
http://www.amazon.com/Journey-into-Mystery-Kieron-Gillen/dp/0785185577/ref=sr_1_2
http://www.amazon.com/Journey-Into-Mystery-Kieron-Gillen/dp/0785185747/ref=pd_bxgy_14_2

Uthor posted:

Joe Casey and Tom Scioli's Godland kind of explores the themes of gods coming from a science perspective. It's mainly an homage to early Fantastic Four comics, especially with the Kirby-esque artwork.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B8dland

Was considering looking into Journey due to me feeling like I was missing some stuff in AoA. I've already read Sandman, no worries there at least.

This looks bitching.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

trashbuilder posted:

Maybe you guys can help me with this, a long time ago I got a graphic novel out of the liabrary, it was very thick like 1000 pages and about half a page in size. It tells the story of a family going to a beach home for the weekend and one character is an adopted teenager who has a frog face otherwise everyone looks normal. The art style is very simple with just clean lines in black and white. There is a scene where the frog kid masturbates that is very sad. What is this book I want to re-read it as it has stuck with me for 10 years. I know I saw it on some best of lists that year too.

By half a page you mean sized kinda like Manga or more like a weird shape akin to Heck or Maakies?

Edit: was it Tarot, Witch of the Black Rose?

Edit2: apparently not.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 27, 2016

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have

trashbuilder posted:

I googled for a little longer and found it. It's called Bottomless Belly Button. Highly recommend for a real sad introspective story. and it came out 8 years ago not 10

http://www.amazon.ca/Bottomless-Belly-Button-Dash-Shaw/dp/1560979151

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zachack posted:

Edit: was it Tarot, Witch of the Black Rose?

This both pleases and confuses me. Like... what do people imagine Tarot actually features?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

This both pleases and confuses me. Like... what do people imagine Tarot actually features?
all the boobs

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Haunted vaginas

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

redbackground posted:

all the boobs

True.

Endless Mike posted:

Haunted vaginas

Less than you'd think. (Also, I and Chris Sims keep pointing this out, but that's not even the silliest thing IN THAT ISSUE.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

It contains bees.