Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

G0RF posted:

You say "backpedaling", they say "revamping"...

Why is he continually namedropping like anyone would know who the gently caress those people are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

Why is he continually namedropping like anyone would know who the gently caress those people are.

star citizen

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

from the 2.1.1 live feedback post on reddit

How low were this dude's expectations to begin with?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Not that I would ever stoop to griefing people, but this game seems to attract a combination of high-strung autistics that would nearly be impossible not to grief. I mean, if someone were so inclined.

Never mind non-consensual pvp for a moment. Or ramming ships off pads. Much simpler things, like standing on some guy's cockpit, or just landing your ship near an exit and just keeping it there, will set off a certain subset of these genetic aberrations. They could be attempting to roleplay something in a bar, and someone (obviously not me) could just run circles around them over and over while jumping, ruining their immersion. Someone could just follow someone around step for step, until the player puts in a support ticket to the highly responsive Customer Service team, who are definitely trained to deal with fragile, defective people who are one incident away from becoming front-page news in their hometown.

This game has attracted all the crazy, the extreme, the mentally ill, the perverted, the paranoid, and the deluded - and put them all in the same pot together. I've never seen anything quite like it. There is so much potential energy in this volatile stew, I can almost hear it humming, waiting for the Goon spark that sets off the most glorious online explosion in history. To Chris Roberts: thank you from the bottom of my heart for the unwitting gift you're about to give us all.

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

Wait, hold up! Did he just say that consumer protection laws protect lovely companies from consumers?
:suicide:

Jimb fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 25, 2016

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Jimb posted:

Wait, hold up! Did he just say that consumer protection laws protect shity companies from consumers?
:suicide:

Yes. Yes he did.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Happy Sisyphus posted:

lol

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Solarin posted:

Your point really shows how much CIG has to lose by delivering anything. People are buying a fantasy - ridiculous grindy poo poo mechanics like grabby handing your cargo, and drink serving minigames are really fun in fantasy. They reinforce the expectation of acievement, status and purpose that whales are buying in to.

Those who see this as a game in development, not a rich fantasy life, may wonder how the gently caress this mess of gameplay systems will produce a fun, cohesive experience that can be enjoyed by real life people. I think this things best chance of fun is the collapsed house of cards approach. Many barely implemented systems collapse in on each other and the result is a novel, semi-playable mess that kinda works. I'm not sure if this works when the core design is so clearly robbed of passion by the visionary in charge.

I believe EightAce when he says no SQ42 in 2016. As long as people keep buying fantasy then an actual game release is a dire threat to their revenue.

Exactly dude. Just look at the dead-air um... dead-air whenever they actually have to stop and think about what all these amazing, immersive multi-crew experiences will be

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6288891#Comment_6288891

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Star citizen : All I wanted was to fly a ship in space. *looks back at computer monitor and star citizen has stopped working window*

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

At some point there will be a critical threshold over which the community will no longer tolerate their failures. I wonder what the tipping point will be.

That point isn't until full on bankruptcy.

"The feature I most want has been cut, since I can somehow accept that they can do anything and I'll be OK"

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sickening posted:

Because names is all they have.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

This is fantastic!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

trucutru posted:

I dropped 20 bucks on E:D when it was on discount, realized it is basically cookie-clicker in space, and went back to Puzzle and loving Dragons for a less grindular experience.
You can do literally everything in a ship you can get after a day than you can in one you poop sock for. Grinding is something you inflicted on yourself.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Iron Tusk posted:

"The feature I most want has been cut, since I can somehow accept that they can do anything and I'll be OK"

Hmm, the feature I wanted most was cut, but eh, didn't need that money anyway. Time to wait and see what poo poo they give me. Hope it was worth at least 20% of what I spent.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Iron Tusk posted:

Isn't this the perfect example of a sunk cost fallacy?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hahahaha so long as CIG never explicitly say "we are cancelling DREAMS" there is always going to be a diehard contingent of utter crazies throwing money at them. startin to think this is forever; theyve invented a perpetual business model where they can make a few jpegs and slap a price tag on it and people who somehow have money will lap it up.

it is just mindblowing to me that the tide hasnt already turned. props to roberts space industries, you are capitalism manifest

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Happy Sisyphus posted:

They're getting lower by the minute!

REDDIT: What is really going on with Star Marine?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

alf_pogs posted:

it is just mindblowing to me that the tide hasnt already turned. props to roberts space industries, you are capitalism manifest

Is it capitalism if they don't provide a product? It reminds me more of those TV evangelists that make bank purely from donations.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Hey has there been any updates on that one UK goon who filed a lawsuit? Last time I checked an intent to sue was issued

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

G0RF posted:

They're getting lower by the minute!

REDDIT: What is really going on with Star Marine?

So here's another thing that gets to me. They're hanging on Chris's word like it's worth something, right? "I'll wait to see what Chris says." OK fine, but here's the thing - frequently what he says contradicts something he said before. So which information from your messiah was good info - the first thing he said, or the latest? Why would you hang on the word of a guy you know, for a demonstrable fact, is full of poo poo? Someone who continually changes what he says? It's loving weird.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Hey has there been any updates on that one UK goon who filed a lawsuit? Last time I checked an intent to sue was issued

Not yet. :rip:

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Is this turning into some kind of modern art installation. Nobody intentionally makes a game that isn't fun. It's like making sandwiches that taste like poo poo, and I don't mean Subway level bad I mean actual dogshit on top of bread.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Arbitrary Coin posted:

two weeks

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

YOUTUBE: Ten for the Chairman

First!

I'm only one question in and the tone is very subdued.

Um...

Collectible, procedurally generated fauna confirmed!

If you attack inside a Green Zone, a bounty will be placed on your head and NPC police will be dispatched to deal with you. Or something different. He's especially mealy-mouthed on this one, though he's yet to repeat his earlier claim that griefers would just be instanced with other griefers...

He actually rejects this suggestion as overcomplicated and suggests as simpler version will be implemented. You heard it hear first.

Star Marine, the FPS that was supposed to be as good or better than Battlefield and Call of Duty, is already in the game and will be incrementally improved... Eventually it will be playable also as a separate map so as to improve your shooter skills.

Yeah, sure, we'll do that.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 26, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Why are the hats facing him?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
And he's not sitting in his chair? :confused:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Happy Sisyphus posted:

hahahahaha

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Ben, you're reading this. Tell Chris I'll give him :10bux: for the chair, man.

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

Jobbo_Fett posted:

And he's not sitting in his chair? :confused:

Then you couldn't see his chair.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

tooterfish posted:

You can do literally everything in a ship you can get after a day than you can in one you poop sock for. Grinding is something you inflicted on yourself.

Yep, grinding is the path to burnout..

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jimb posted:

Then you couldn't see his chair.

Kinda defeats the purpose of having one of those chairs, imo.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Yeah I skipped ahead. So now the narrative is that Star Marine was never going to actually be a thing - it was basically just shorthand for the fact that there'd be FPS in the game. Well, 2.1 has FPS, so Bingo! Star Marine delivered, promises met!

I specifically remember their site having a whole section on Star Marine so I went to check it out - amazingly enough, it's gone, and that part of the site was replaced with the push for SQ42.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Why are the hats facing him?

cause he's busy signing them for PAX south.

Not joking, that's what he's casually doing when the video starts.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

CrazyLoon posted:

No one can explain the reasons for why he did it lol. But here's the short of it:

*Some RSI poster (a non-goon) says Bexter's name sounds similar to Al Bester from Babylon 5
*Bexter loses his poo poo, goons chime in and ask him to calm down/push his buttons somewhat. Bexter turns all his ire on goons.
*Bexter makes a 'private conversation' that includes loving everybody on RSI forums, to witness how he gloriously launches nukes, hoping moderators will back him in his insanity.
*The shitshow you can read there happens.
*Mods ban Bexter and another of his friends, leaving goons unscathed.
*A few months later, Bexter seems calmed down and shows up in goon org thread, a deal is worked out to which he agrees, that he'd take a picture with goon diplomat at PAX AUS so as to RP sign a 'peace treaty', since his war was never officially ended since that time.
*Bexter chickens out, and claims he never agreed to it at all, proving himself to, in fact, be a pussy on top of a batshit insane roleplayer.

TL;DR: Just your average day on the RSI forums.

He ran away from signing our glistening space dong treaty and we pretty much ruined PAX AUS for him. poo poo ruled. Also getting a class of avionics engineers to draw it was hilarious.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Rudager posted:

cause he's busy signing them for PAX south.

Not joking, that's what he's casually doing when the video starts.

Lol, Chris is so busy he can't afford to waste time!

Now I'm picturing him making buying food at home or doing other daily activies while signing away on whatever clothing he can find.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Scruffpuff posted:

Yeah I skipped ahead. So now the narrative is that Star Marine was never going to actually be a thing - it was basically just shorthand for the fact that there'd be FPS in the game. Well, 2.1 has FPS, so Bingo! Star Marine delivered, promises met!

I specifically remember their site having a whole section on Star Marine so I went to check it out - amazingly enough, it's gone, and that part of the site was replaced with the push for SQ42.

The studio that did Star Marine had 1.5 years of work scrapped and they wasted something like $20 million on Croberts incompetence for that. Anyone who is not an imbecile true believer already knows this. They're simply continuing to lie and are now extending the timeline so that they can redo all of the Star Marine work over next two years of planned SC development. Which is exactly what we all suspected, they will have to REDO everything that was done already before it was scrapped.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 26, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Chiwie posted:

He ran away from signing our glistening space dong treaty and we pretty much ruined PAX AUS for him. poo poo ruled. Also getting a class of avionics engineers to draw it was hilarious.

This rules

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i submit that there has never been a good space game

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

i submit that there has never been a good space game

sim

space sim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Scruffpuff posted:

So Star Marine in "cancelled" then. IE, what you see is what you get, again.

• Locked thread