Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

b0red posted:

idk why you guys hate debian

ahmeni posted:

*comments out crypto code due to compiler warnings only he will ever see*

The maintainers are loving retarded and add ~improvements~ to lots of common packages which break them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
use arch

i mean, if you want to use a distro put together by amateurs then use the one that basically just gives you upstream and isn't afraid to mark basically every bug as UPSTREAM WONTFIX instead of some third-derivative bullshit like Mint. as a bonus you get to use software that's actually fairly up-to-date.

i like arch a lot

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

b0red posted:

ive been using debian for the last 1 year as my main desktop and have had no problems. idk why you guys hate debian and i still can't tell if the gnome3 posts are real. i refuse to believe gnome3 is good

icebian

also no, gnome 3 is too much like a touch ui to ever be good, death to all touch uis with giant panels on the desktop

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
you use gnome 3 by mashing the windows key and zipping around with the expose clone. who cares if they have Big Icons in the "app drawer" nobody on earth will ever use.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

prefect posted:

isn't salt a rewrite of chef in python? that seems interesting

salt is a pretty good remote command execution framework bolted to the side of pretty bad configuration management

salt is really handy for orchestrating chef/puppet runs if you insist on using cfg mgmt to do deployment

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

use arch

i mean, if you want to use a distro put together by amateurs then use the one that basically just gives you upstream and isn't afraid to mark basically every bug as UPSTREAM WONTFIX instead of some third-derivative bullshit like Mint. as a bonus you get to use software that's actually fairly up-to-date.

i like arch a lot

lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Celexi posted:

i think that happens on all de's, its not actually cde but xorg default as the window manager shuts down, doesn't happen on wayland

xorg doesn't have any "defaults" because there are no default widgets

X11 primitives are poo poo like lines and rectangles and pieces of letters (yes not even complete letters, nobody relies on server-side text anymore)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jre posted:

config management - not just for servers :ninja:

declarative configuration management is what windows gpo was always meant to be

(even microsoft agrees with me)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
nbsd is the guy who said Always Use Configuration Management On All Servers (even if you only have one) which I'm rapidly coming around to, I know he doesn't like Ansible.

I don't like the ones with agents though. Ansible is lightweight and pretty nice. As a bonus, it's written in a Good Language.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

nbsd is the guy who said Always Use Configuration Management On All Servers (even if you only have one) which I'm rapidly coming around to, I know he doesn't like Ansible.

bad configuration management is still much better than no configuration management.

ansible is tragically flawed but i'd much rather walk into a shop using ansible than a shop filled with shell scripts and computer touchers

Mr Dog posted:

I don't like the ones with agents though. Ansible is lightweight and pretty nice. As a bonus, it's written in a Good Language.

agentless is a really dumb goal
aesthetically appealing but still dumb as gently caress

tef posted:

simple — It solves my use case.

opinionated — I don’t believe that your use case exists.

lightweight — I don’t understand the use-cases the alternatives solve.

configurable — It’s your job to make it usable.

minimal — You’re going to have to write more code than I did to make it useful.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
ansible is great for deploying internal / non critical things where you just want some minimum effort towards documentation for whatever service you're trying to stand up

puppet is for more serious endeavors but the syntax is horrifying and oh my god our puppet modules are a rat nest spaghetti horror that i refuse to touch

pram
Jun 10, 2001

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

our puppet modules are a rat nest spaghetti horror that i refuse to touch

this is every puppet and chef installation ever hth

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pram posted:

this is every puppet and chef installation ever hth

yeah i just assumed this was the case.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
especially older installations. those are the worst. with half the infra defined as nodes, the other half in hiera. multiple modules that do the same thing with a special snowflake edge case. no one who understands how it all works, but there are dozens of retarded gatekeepers, repo approvers, managers, qa. and of course everything is all tied together. so a mundane task like adding an A record to a zone file becomes a kafkaesque nightmare

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pram posted:

especially older installations. those are the worst. with half the infra defined as nodes, the other half in hiera. multiple modules that do the same thing with a special snowflake edge case. no one who understands how it all works, but there are dozens of retarded gatekeepers, repo approvers, managers, qa. and of course everything is all tied together. so a mundane task like adding an A record to a zone file becomes a kafkaesque nightmare

oh hey, this sounds familiar

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'm trying to not get into horrible habits as a result of most of my working life being spent as a lone developer ok :ohdear:

Like I need to change that asap before I become completely unemployable

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

I'm trying to not get into horrible habits as a result of most of my working life being spent as a lone developer ok :ohdear:

ansible is a cool buzzword to have on your resume but you probably don't want to work with people so green they think ansible is a good idea

can you imagine being mentored by pram

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

Mr Dog posted:

use arch

i like arch a lot

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
"if you want to use a distro put together by amateurs"

which is what Debian is

on a prod server I'd use CentOS of course i'm not a complete moron

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Celexi posted:

i think that happens on all de's, its not actually cde but xorg default as the window manager shuts down, doesn't happen on wayland

so the reason this actually happens is because we invented a cross-toolkit protocol to broadcast font settings and such but nobody but gnome actually decided to use it

http://standards.freedesktop.org/xsettings-spec/xsettings-spec-0.5.html

when gnome shuts down it shuts down the settings server which causes all gtk+ apps to stop applying the custom theme and such

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
so you wrote a cross-platform theme communication engine, but the only thing it accomplishes is breaking the themes on your own product during shutdown

shut it all down, this is peak linux desktop

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Barnyard Protein posted:

i have been reading that unix haters book, i feel like a north korean finding out that ball point pens aren't an extravagance.

you should try out that TI Explorer emulator like I sent OSI Bean Dip for yosmas and see just how different the rest of the world was from the UNIX world of the day

also it has USER AIDS

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
so nBSD, what configuration management are you using on Solaris 8?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

so nBSD, what configuration management are you using on Solaris 8?

chef should work fine, despite being unsupported

however i am presently experiencing hw issues so i have not tried it

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so you wrote a cross-platform theme communication engine, but the only thing it accomplishes is breaking the themes on your own product during shutdown

shut it all down, this is peak linux desktop

We removed it recently.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

We removed it recently.

after all, the gnome developers know best what all the apps should look and feel like

they should look and feel like hybrid desktop-tablet apps, right?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
this os is a piece of poo poo

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

CPColin posted:

I like when I shut down Mint

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

this but all linux

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
i'm trying gnom3 on fedora and it's kinda ok but what the gently caress are they thinking with those inch-high title bars on all the windows that you can only shrink by dropping a magic css file in a hidden directory

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Soricidus posted:

i'm trying gnom3 on fedora and it's kinda ok but what the gently caress are they thinking with those inch-high title bars on all the windows that you can only shrink by dropping a magic css file in a hidden directory

i really would love to know why they dont go away when window is maximized

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Celexi posted:

i really would love to know why they dont go away when window is maximized

if you're using gnome on the desktop, as opposed to on a tablet where nobody has ever used gnome nor ever will, then you shouldn't be maximising windows often anyway

well, except i guess for ides and similar things that basically have internal window managers

it just seems weird that the entire history of applicaitons recently has basically been "how can we increase vertical space, how can we get rid of menu bars and push tabs into the title bar" and then along comes gnome and is all "nope you're going to have a blank and useless inch of nothingness at the top of every window forever and you're going to like it dammit"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

i assure you no thinking was involved

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Soricidus posted:

if you're using gnome on the desktop, as opposed to on a tablet where nobody has ever used gnome nor ever will, then you shouldn't be maximising windows often anyway

well, except i guess for ides and similar things that basically have internal window managers

it just seems weird that the entire history of applicaitons recently has basically been "how can we increase vertical space, how can we get rid of menu bars and push tabs into the title bar" and then along comes gnome and is all "nope you're going to have a blank and useless inch of nothingness at the top of every window forever and you're going to like it dammit"
it's because some gtk apps actually do put extra controls up there

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

is linux on the desktop yet

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Soricidus posted:

Soricidus posted:

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
gnome devs thinking it will ever be on a tablet is the most hilarious thing

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

yeah, all that wasted space is to match the visual style of the actual gnome 3 applications that nobody uses because they're uniformly garbage; they draw the window controls client side and put part of their UI in there

it satisfies their three design goals of eliminating any predictably inert area of the UI that can be safely clicked on to move the window around, making the title impossible to find in a sea of visual noise while truncating it as much as possible and turning the window into an immovable obstacle whenever the application's UI hangs because they're garbage

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Mr Dog posted:

"if you want to use a distro put together by amateurs"

which is what Debian is

on a prod server I'd use CentOS of course i'm not a complete moron

whats the big advantage of CentOS vs something like debian unstable? i get the impression it's sorta fedora: server edition but i have never run it

pram posted:

gnome devs thinking it will ever be on a tablet is the most hilarious thing

i had it on a laptop with a touch screen and half the time it would boot up with the trackpad disabled so you'd have to slide your fingers around on it during boot to let it know you were actually planning on using the trackpad. also on screen keyboards popping up for no reason but at least i can finally swipe to unlock

Marzzle fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its rhel