Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Nate RFB posted:

Maybe it's only because I just finished catching up on it the other day, but the first thing that came to mind was the quite excellent "The Town Where Only I am Missing" (which has a currently airing anime as well under the inane name "ERASED"). Great thriller-esque mystery and great characters, if it can stick the landing for the ending it will go down as one of the best IMO.
I'm actually watching that at the moment, it's great and I am considering going to the manga to carry on with it

How is Billy Bat compared to Urasawa's other stuff? I still think Monster is the best, though I am loving Pluto. 20th Century Boys fell apart a bit for me, but it was excellent until the later volumes. Thanks for the recs, will look into them all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Paperhouse posted:

I'm actually watching that at the moment, it's great and I am considering going to the manga to carry on with it

How is Billy Bat compared to Urasawa's other stuff? I still think Monster is the best, though I am loving Pluto. 20th Century Boys fell apart a bit for me, but it was excellent until the later volumes. Thanks for the recs, will look into them all

I've only read a bit of Billy Bat but it seemed comparable to some of his best.

Earlier this month there was an announcement that it's on its final arc so I've been waiting for it to end before going on a binge.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Paperhouse posted:

I like Billy Bat but catching up on it was always rough, in terms of waiting for more. So a while back I decided to just wait until it was all done before I dived back in.

My fear with the ERASED anime is that it's going to be, what, 12-13 episodes? With the yet-to-be-released manga ending included? It's a manga with some 40 long-ish chapters so they are going to probably have to cut a ton of content, which seems egregious for such a tightly written story.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

Billy Bat is the best Urasawa, I think.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I love Billy Bat.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Well, I tried to get into Patlabor. First the TV series, and when that didn't click for me, I tried the OVA. Yeah, and... I'm not that into it. :shrug: I dig the "realistic" aspect of the mechas, and it's occasionally really drat hilarious - Episode 4 of the OVA in particular was a pitch-perfect parody of kaiju movies, holy poo poo - but I'm... just underwhelmed by the mechas. And I don't really like the cast enough. Hm. I wasn't expecting another Diebuster (which instantly shot right into my Top 10 anime because I loving love FLCL and, as I discovered, cool mechas), but I'm still underwhelmed. Oh well.

So, let's try this the other way around! Any insanely hot-blooded and ridiculous mecha shows out there, in the vein of TTGL and Diebuster? (I think I ran out of comparable Gainax shows...?) Well, scratch that request for realism, now I want stupid awesome mecha action. I heard something about Code Geass being good, as well as season 2 of that being total rear end.

Any suggestions for the advancement of my mecha education are greatly appreciated. :toot:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Well, I tried to get into Patlabor. First the TV series, and when that didn't click for me, I tried the OVA. Yeah, and... I'm not that into it. :shrug: I dig the "realistic" aspect of the mechas, and it's occasionally really drat hilarious - Episode 4 of the OVA in particular was a pitch-perfect parody of kaiju movies, holy poo poo - but I'm... just underwhelmed by the mechas. And I don't really like the cast enough. Hm. I wasn't expecting another Diebuster (which instantly shot right into my Top 10 anime because I loving love FLCL and, as I discovered, cool mechas), but I'm still underwhelmed. Oh well.

So, let's try this the other way around! Any insanely hot-blooded and ridiculous mecha shows out there, in the vein of TTGL and Diebuster? (I think I ran out of comparable Gainax shows...?) Well, scratch that request for realism, now I want stupid awesome mecha action. I heard something about Code Geass being good, as well as season 2 of that being total rear end.

Any suggestions for the advancement of my mecha education are greatly appreciated. :toot:

Giant Robo the animation: the day the earth stood still.

Getter robo manga, yet again

shin mazinger z

G Gundam

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Torquemadras posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlhtVgB7QuY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTgRgF6b3y8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-55YJpaDys

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Torquemadras will watch Giant Robo and he will post about it.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

...this looks all great, and I shall now watch Shin Mazinger Z!

But I will NOT watch Giant Robo

Bad Seafood posted:

Torquemadras will watch Giant Robo and he will post about it.

...because I've already seen it :saddowns:
The worst thing about Giant Robo is that they didn't deliver on that sequel hook.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
King Gainer is good but not great

the OP is fantastic though, and it gives us dancing robots

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Torquemadras posted:

But I will NOT watch Giant Robo

...because I've already seen it :saddowns:
There's always time to rewatch Giant Robo.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
actually, king gainer rules

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

The Colonel posted:

actually, king gainer rules

https://jii.moe/NyMFW9kYl.webm

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Torquemadras posted:

If you don't mind a longer series GaoGaiGar gets pretty nuts eventually, though it takes a while.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you like Gurren Lagann you'll probably like GaoGaiGar

Once it gets going anyways

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I love ttgl but hated gaogaigar. I was told it takes about 20 episodes before its not poo poo, which was more than i was willing to invest.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I mean it takes 20 episodes to get going, as it were, I still enjoyed it from the start though. It's a show for kid kids though, rather than adult kids.

Bisquick_Jones
Oct 26, 2007
I recently stumbled upon Now and Then, Here and There.

Just 13 episodes, but it's one hell of an emotional ride.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Shin Getter Robo v Neo Getter Robo, it's only four episodes long and it's excellent fun.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

If you want sweet robot action try gundam build fighters

Technically that's sweet children's toys action though

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ninjewtsu posted:

If you want sweet robot action try gundam build fighters

Technically that's sweet children's toys action though

What's nice about Build Fighters is that it's honest.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Build Fighters is really good, it's a fun show with some of the best battles in the franchise.

Try spits on that and is an awful show with bad fights and aggressively bland characters who you'll start to actively dislike, except for Minato, the one good part of the series. It has an excessive conformance to awful cliches and somehow it manages to pick the worst possible thing to do in every situation despite the fact that a show like Build Fighters practically writes itself. It also has an obviously low budget since there is a painful amount of filling time. Most fights don't start until after the fifteen minute mark, and I quickly noticed that on average, the launch sequence from stepping up to the machine to cutting to everybody's reactions in the audience to rolling the launch sequence stock footage to then talking after launching, actually reaching the enemy and starting to fight them took a minimum of three minutes, sometimes up to four or five, and then that battle would be shoddily animated and short and disappointing. The Build Burning, other than one episode, never attacked in anything but extremely slow stock footage finishers.

I could go on but the point is that the series was a massive disappointment and you shouldn't watch it.

The final episode of the series is really good though, it's like the writers were let off a leash and could make something fun for once. There's like four or five good episodes out of the entire season. Five is stretching it a bit. It gave us Tryon 3 at the very least, one of the only episodes with a semi-decent animation budget and any emotional impact that was still spoiled by blatant asspulls and plot armour.
https://jii.moe/Ny_3y5xYg.webm

Reds fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 26, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
At least the asspull victory in the Tryon fight wasn't by loving Sekai for once, so that's an outright decent fight in my book. By BFT's standards, anyway.

One of the biggest fuckups of BFT is that we're all pretty sure someone upstairs threw a fit at the prospect of a female main protagonist and did everything in their power to shove Sekai in the audience's face like he's Poochy. The first few episodes set up Fumina as the narrative perspective with decent BF-quality writing... and then suddenly Sekai is the plot-centered wunderkind desired by all to be their rival for the rest of the series.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 26, 2016

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Fumina's personality and competence conspicously vanish the moment she gets her lovely SD Gundam. Its power is to remove herself from the fight by detaching two thirds of her body in order to deliver powerups to her idiot teammates because she gave up on trying to make them work together. Powered GM Cardigan got shafted far too hard, she became useless for 95% of every fight afterwards. Her role as team leader was thrown out and she lost all of her personality in favour of incredibly unfunny and tedious harem bullshit that takes up an embarrassingly large amount of time in nearly every episode after a certain point. Her character turns into being summed up as "wants sekai's oblivious dick for no adequately explained reason".

Try sucks, don't watch it.

Reds fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 26, 2016

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i remember watching the first 2 episodes of try and thinking it was shaping up to be really good, and then it quickly became very mediocre

maybe they did the thing where the build burning explodes from the inside of the dom and went "yep, that's the best thing we're ever gonna make, no point trying to do anything worthwhile anymore"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

jesus' char's return was pretty great too

but seriously watch build fighters it is very good, then maybe watch try if you want to be disappointed

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The real sad part is watching three World-Level teams get to the final rounds of the nationals and start squabbling over who would get to fight Sekai. That and about 95% of the rival teams in-general could each be summed up as "Stepping Stone No. [n++]".

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Bisquick_Jones posted:

I recently stumbled upon Now and Then, Here and There.

Just 13 episodes, but it's one hell of an emotional ride.

Now and Then, Here and There is really good and not enough people have seen it. It's one of the most poignant anti-war pieces of media I've ever seen.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I've been feeling like I want to cry to something. Not the sappy romance happy kind of tears though. I want the kind that comes from irrevocable loss and/or struggling through some kind of intense personal suffering. Perhaps with some nobility mixed in, but not something that's just in the epilogue unless it's really powerful. Below is a list of some examples of the general direction of the kind of thing I am looking for. I don't mind if there's build up to it. Romance type stories are still acceptable recs here, but should probably be tragic in some way (see: Princess Tutu, Utena).

Princess Tutu
The end of Madoka TV
Kiritsugu's poo poo in Fate Zero
The more melancholic parts of Kotoura-san
Wandering Son
Utena
From the New World

It feels like there's a few others I should remember to list here, but they aren't coming to mind if so. I feel like Kino's Journey is supposed to be in here for some reason, but I can't remember well enough to say for sure.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Kylra posted:

I've been feeling like I want to cry to something. Not the sappy romance happy kind of tears though. I want the kind that comes from irrevocable loss and/or struggling through some kind of intense personal suffering. Perhaps with some nobility mixed in, but not something that's just in the epilogue unless it's really powerful. Below is a list of some examples of the general direction of the kind of thing I am looking for. I don't mind if there's build up to it. Romance type stories are still acceptable recs here, but should probably be tragic in some way (see: Princess Tutu, Utena).

Princess Tutu
The end of Madoka TV
Wandering Son
Utena
From the New World

It feels like there's a few others I should remember to list here, but they aren't coming to mind if so. I feel like Kino's Journey is supposed to be in here for some reason, but I can't remember well enough to say for sure.

Would Shigatsu/Your Lie In April fit? It's pretty emotional but it might fall more into the romance side mostly

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Knorth posted:

Would Shigatsu/Your Lie In April fit? It's pretty emotional but it might fall more into the romance side mostly
I haven't tried watching it yet, but probably not really? It sounds like it would go through a happier tone shift similar to Kotoura-san, but maybe not dip back into the conflict from the premise so much. Which if that's the case it's probably not quite what I'm asking after here.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Davincie posted:

It's this.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Davincie posted:

I have actually seen this one, but it is one that didn't come to mind for listing.

a kitten posted:

It's this.
It is! Or it would be if I hadn't already seen it.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 28, 2016

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Kylra posted:

I haven't tried watching it yet, but probably not really? It sounds like it would go through a happier tone shift similar to Kotoura-san, but maybe not dip back into the conflict from the premise so much. Which if that's the case it's probably not quite what I'm asking after here.

There is a bit of joy in the show but it's also kind of an emotional rollercoaster so when moments of tragedy and failure happen they hit surprisingly hard

maybe it still doesn't fit, it's just the first thing that sprang to mind :)

e. I going to take that Anohana rec for myself though since I haven't seen it :cheeky:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kylra posted:

I have actually seen this one, but it is one that didn't come to mind for listing.

It is! Or it would be if I hadn't already seen it.

Doh.

Have you seen Haibane Renmei?

How ' bout Honey and Clover?

And, it's mainly in the second season but Clannad.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kylra posted:

Princess Tutu
The end of Madoka TV
Wandering Son
Utena
From the New World

Episodes 24-25 of Sket Dance.

Samurai Flamenco's last arc qualifies too, but it doesn't mean as much if you don't watch the earlier episodes. You could probably get away with watching the first six and then the last four, and just imagine that a lot of crazy stuff happens in-between.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 28, 2016

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

a kitten posted:

Doh.

Have you seen Haibane Renmei?

How ' bout Honey and Clover?

And, it's mainly in the second season but Clannad.
I've seen Haibane Renmei, but it didn't quite do as much for me as it did for others. E: I might be confusing it with something else, but I know I've seen it at least.

I haven't seen the other two, so I'll check them out.

Strange Quark posted:

Episodes 24-25 of Sket Dance.

Samurai Flamenco's last arc qualifies too, but it doesn't mean as much if you don't watch the earlier episodes. You could probably get away with watching the first six and then the last four, and just imagine that a lot of crazy stuff happens in-between.
In Flamenco, I don't think it really worked as a good tragedy deal in the context of the rest of the series. A lot of it was too silly. A very good show though.

I'll look at Sket Dance though.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The Magnetic Rose segment of Memories. Idk if it's really what you're looking for but it's about loss and it made me cry.