Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

novaSphere posted:

It's a sure sign of strange times when Redditors consider the 'phract, Highlander, and Victor on the same level of 'is about to die; needs food badly' as dogshit like Vindicators and Awesomes.

How times change :(

I'd like the Victor more if it wasn't the Victor. It's a short underweight dad by design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Raged posted:

looking at buying the HBK II pack since it is not a stupid price. Is it worth it?

HBK-IICs put out an insane amount of damage but the torsos fall off in a hot second. you can do interesting things with them like dual-gauss with a jump jet or a bunch of high-mounted lasers or 4SRM6A with two medium pulses, but they can't out brawl, say, a Griffin. I think they would probably be great in CW because you can stay at range and they'd free up a lot of weight.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

armchairyoda posted:

Realtalk? I did this when they came out. I haven't touched them yet. Too expensive to upgrade if you have less than 7mil earmarked for each.

Thanks.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I saw a Jenner IIc with 5 LRM 5s, what the gently caress.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Uncle Bob.

Ok, so recommend me a 50-60 ton mech that is not the blackjack (i already have a jager in that planned lance).
You know what, recommend me 3. I shouldnt lock down my dropdecks to a specific set of mechs.

Griffins 3M and 2N are fantastic SRM brawlers and Sparky is a great laserbot if you care to spend money.

Hunchbacks 4P, 4J, and 4G are great for lasers, LRMs, and AC20s, respectively. 4SP is the SRM variant but gets wrecked in a hurry even with crazy structure buffs. The 4H is unremarkable in every way.

Trebuchet 7M is probably the best overall dedicated LRM carrier in the game, but other variants are garbage (but some people like the 5J for lasers I guess).

Wolverines used to all be pretty good but right now the 6K is the only one that's worth writing home about (lasers). The 6R is okay for AC5 dakka and the 7K is an okay SRM brawler. Better choices exist these days, but the 6K is still a workhorse.

Other chassis' are kind of to flavor; Vindicators are terrible but every other IS medium has its own interesting niche. I don't own Enforcers, but they're well-regarded. Crabs are tanky and fast. Shadow Hawks have some nice mounts but haven't been en vogue in a while. Cents have also seen better days. I play too many drat Mediums.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

I just bought the ECM cataphract because it's on sale and I love mechs with ECM.

What other two models should I be looking at to grab for elite-ing it? I just want the two least painful to grind out.

Minor things to be aware of: The 4x has a low engine cap, and only 1 slot to use on its missile because its in the head, but can rock 4 ac5s. The 3d doesn't have the stupid-tough quirks(it has jumpjets instead)

They're decent, just do whatever

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Thanks all, the Griffin looks like its going to be my next one.
It even looks nice.

Now i just need mechbays.
drat contract timers, i cant really sell a marauder, can i?
I mean i paid money for them, but the one with only 5 laser hardpoints just... sucks rear end.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Is someone from here named Texas Merc? Got a random unit invite and not sure who it is.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

novaSphere posted:

Griffins 3M and 2N are fantastic SRM brawlers and Sparky is a great laserbot if you care to spend money.

Hunchbacks 4P, 4J, and 4G are great for lasers, LRMs, and AC20s, respectively. 4SP is the SRM variant but gets wrecked in a hurry even with crazy structure buffs. The 4H is unremarkable in every way.

Trebuchet 7M is probably the best overall dedicated LRM carrier in the game, but other variants are garbage (but some people like the 5J for lasers I guess).

Wolverines used to all be pretty good but right now the 6K is the only one that's worth writing home about (lasers). The 6R is okay for AC5 dakka and the 7K is an okay SRM brawler. Better choices exist these days, but the 6K is still a workhorse.

Other chassis' are kind of to flavor; Vindicators are terrible but every other IS medium has its own interesting niche. I don't own Enforcers, but they're well-regarded. Crabs are tanky and fast. Shadow Hawks have some nice mounts but haven't been en vogue in a while. Cents have also seen better days. I play too many drat Mediums.

Cicadas are great, though more in the heavy light department. 3C aside, I think they punch well above their weight.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

high six posted:

Is someone from here named Texas Merc? Got a random unit invite and not sure who it is.

Yes he is terrible

high six
Feb 6, 2010

TeeMerk posted:

Yes he is terrible

OH I GET IT HAR HAR IM DUMB

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Nerds, please tell me about the crabs. I am considering making poor c-bill investments in tiny crab robots.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

sebmojo posted:

Cicadas are great, though more in the heavy light department. 3C aside, I think they punch well above their weight.

Yeah, I should have given Cicadas a bigger nod. I love the 2B for MPL shittery and of course the 3M is great for ECM. I have the 2A from the event and the 3F from cash money and they're pretty decent as well. I just wish they were smaller.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Decided to try out the trial adder and for some drat reason I love that friggin thing. It just works for me. Long range or close and zippy little speed.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Thanks all, the Griffin looks like its going to be my next one.
It even looks nice.

Now i just need mechbays.
drat contract timers, i cant really sell a marauder, can i?
I mean i paid money for them, but the one with only 5 laser hardpoints just... sucks rear end.

If you're that hard up for mechbays just buy a $7 MC pack and buy mechbays with it. Which Marauder don't you like? There aren't any with only 5 energy hardpoints. There is one with 5 energy and 2 ballistic and one with 5 energy and 2 missile and one with 4 energy and 3 ballistic. Well, plus the hero mech with 7 energy and 1 ballistic.

edit: think of it this way: assuming you bought the $20 pack with 3 marauders that's just under $7 a mechbay if you sell the mechs. If you buy $7 worth of MC you have enough for 4 mech bays at the regular price, plus a few MC as change.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 26, 2016

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

"Cheating prevention is opsec" screams of small company who doesn't know what they're doing. The perception of cheating is what matters. If cheaters get away with cheating but the public at large thinks the problem is solved, your game will flourish. If you catch most cheating but the public thinks you aren't doing anything to combat hackers, your game will tank. I highly doubt you can do a better job than Valve to combat cheating, and they are open with their anti-cheat measures (and even handle it from a PR point of view).

You'll have to excuse me if I don't have the utmost faith in a company to catch cheaters "silently" when it took them 2 years to adjust some xml values to unfuck game balance.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Valve is open with their anti-cheat after it's been circumvented, they've never said how VAC works right this second except for the fairfight match recording system.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Internet Explorer posted:

"Cheating prevention is opsec" screams of small company who doesn't know what they're doing. The perception of cheating is what matters. If cheaters get away with cheating but the public at large thinks the problem is solved, your game will flourish. If you catch most cheating but the public thinks you aren't doing anything to combat hackers, your game will tank. I highly doubt you can do a better job than Valve to combat cheating, and they are open with their anti-cheat measures (and even handle it from a PR point of view).

You'll have to excuse me if I don't have the utmost faith in a company to catch cheaters "silently" when it took them 2 years to adjust some xml values to unfuck game balance.
JFC not this poo poo again.

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

After peeking at some of the suggestions in this thread, I decided to get a Ghost Dad since it was on sale. Currently running a build suggested by a goon with AC/20, 3x SRM6's + Artemis, and 2x medium lasers on a 350 engine.

I presume the way I'm supposed to play it is to be at the front of a push and attract the most attention (and take the brunt of the damage) while other mechs do the dirty work, and if somebody comes in range of my weapons I delete them. Plus provide ECM cover for my lance in any case, no matter if we're pushing or trying to be sneaky, to prevent LRM spam. Sound about right, or am I completely off base/bad?

Unboxing Day fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 26, 2016

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
i love how steam VAC is transparent with their bannings. it's comical checking the steam profile of a player you're suspecting of cheating in a game like dirty bomb and to see they've had one or two VAC bans on their account.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

yup. Roll around a corner and roll over one enemy at a time. Don't forget to torso twist and arm shield to spread the damage out.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Unboxing Day posted:

After peeking at some of the suggestions in this thread, I decided to get a Ghost Dad since it was on sale. Currently running a build suggested by a goon with AC/20, 3x SRM6's + Artemis, and 2x medium lasers on a 350 engine.

I presume the way I'm supposed to play it is to be at the front of a push and attract the most attention (and take the brunt of the damage) while other mechs do the dirty work, and if somebody comes in range of my weapons I delete them. Plus provide ECM cover for my lance in any case, no matter if we're pushing or trying to be sneaky, to prevent LRM spam. Sound about right, or am I completely off base/bad?
That's about right. Go slow, hit hard, die shiny and chrome. Laugh as enemy mechs get cored in 1-2 shots.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

I saw a Jenner IIc with 5 LRM 5s, what the gently caress.

getting shot at is pretty stressful.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bentai posted:

JFC not this poo poo again.

:rolleyes:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

Nerds, please tell me about the crabs. I am considering making poor c-bill investments in tiny crab robots.
Update: I got a CRB-27SL, the really expensive variant which comes with a pulse range quirk, jump jets, and double heat sinks already installed, and this thing is fun as gently caress. I don't know about the other variants yet, but I'll definitely keep this one.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I was playing earlier today and someone on our team offered to help a catapult on our team out with his build by telling him to replace all his LRMs... with LRM-5s :shepface:

So many pubbies want to use VOIP as counter-productively as possible, I swear. Had a guy in a King Crab who spent literally 95% of the match that he was alive trying to tell one other guy about a terrible build he saw in the previous game. He ended that story with "oh, and now I'm dead, great thanks for waiting for your assault mech, assholes, there's guys behind us shooting me".
...Wow, man, first we're hearing about it, if only there was some way you could communicate your situation and the location of the enemy team!

Oh yeah, I bought a Ghost Dad too finally. Incredibly efficient for farming spacebucks if nothing else- spawn, lumber forward, round corner, do like 400 damage and kill at least two dudes, die gloriously in under 5 minutes, hop in another match. It's like doubling my income/hour or something.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

Update: I got a CRB-27SL, the really expensive variant which comes with a pulse range quirk, jump jets, and double heat sinks already installed, and this thing is fun as gently caress. I don't know about the other variants yet, but I'll definitely keep this one.

Yep that is the good one, I have slowly been doing crabs because they look cool and I like them. They aren't the best or anything but can be fun and with a std engine you can be a 3 ml JJing zombie crab.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TeeMerk posted:

Yep that is the good one, I have slowly been doing crabs because they look cool and I like them. They aren't the best or anything but can be fun and with a std engine you can be a 3 ml JJing zombie crab.

Nah, man. XL 295, four jump jets, two large pulses, and three medium pulses. :pcgaming: Gotta go fast. :pcgaming:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Rank 28 on the Black Widow for this event, I doubt I'll be able to crack the top 10 :negative:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I have never placed in a leaderboard event.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

There's no point unless there's a way to quantify what portion of a player's score is skill versus what's Helios.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

A.o.D. posted:

It means you probably have a job or a life of some kind.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

There is one dude that is in 1st place in 3/4 of the boards. He is second in the other. Seems fishy but I am sure PGI has this under control.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Even if PGI does not want to explain what exactly they are doing about the problem, they need to make it clear something is being done; Posting the names of people banned for cheating for example.

As it stands, the perception is 'Cheating is rampant'; and PGI isn't doing a good job of changing it.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
UrbanMech still the BestMech.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Raged posted:

It means you probably have a job or a life of some kind.

It's your 10 best matches and its super easy to do 800-1200 damage games with 4xAC/5's :v:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Vorenus posted:

There's no point unless there's a way to quantify what portion of a player's score is skill versus what's Helios.

I'm hardly a top tier god amongst men kind of player but I'm pretty sure nobody is getting match scores of 4700 legit. I don't even know how you'd get that high with Helios.

Maybe if the opposing team was in on it and all stood still to let you farm points by shooting off each limb before the match timer expired.

FARTSTAR
Jun 28, 2004

DancingShade posted:

I'm hardly a top tier god amongst men kind of player but I'm pretty sure nobody is getting match scores of 4700 legit. I don't even know how you'd get that high with Helios.

Maybe if the opposing team was in on it and all stood still to let you farm points by shooting off each limb before the match timer expired.

sync dropping vs other farmers or peeps who dont care

edit: sean lang was like 3300 points on the WHM-6D leaderboard but his name got removed, 3700+ seems kinda bullshit even with the best builds unless theyre all cheesing group queue somehow

FARTSTAR fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 26, 2016

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
back during the closed beta days, a lot of the top performers on the leaderboards would coordinate sync drops with one another. not sure if they had any ghost accounts in on it or not, but they definitely took turns on who would feed if they were on the same team and gave away coordinates. today, some of these players play together on several of the top comp groups, specifically one though.

Wilhelmtell was one specific player who was a leaderboard try hard that i knew was using helios and i was giddy as gently caress to see him get banned for it. there were a lot more who were suspect as gently caress but they stopped playing the game.

teepo fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

teepo posted:

Wilhelmtell was one specific player who was a leaderboard try hard that i knew was using helios and i was giddy as gently caress to see him get banned for it. there were a lot more who were suspect as gently caress but they started playing the game under new accounts/IP addresses.

• Locked thread