Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Pubbie ingame voip makes lrm boats even better. They can whine about holding locks as well as textspam it. They can also rage about not enough people capping or going back to base. I love pubbie voip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Number19 posted:

This sums the situation up well. Silence does not equal inactivity and in a case like this saying nothing might be the best option.

I'm a big fan of Gaben's strategy with VAC: instead of trying to detect cheaters, VAC will instead detect the cheater software by waiting for it to verify that the user has paid for its service.

So when you start up Helios, Helios will inevitably verify that you're paying your $40/month by pinging its home servers or whatever. That's how all of this cheater software works, pretty much.

So VAC will wait for your computer to eventually do that check and then be like "gotcha, bitch!"

Source: Gaben's AMA about VAC and cheaters http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1y70ej/valve_vac_and_trust/

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Yeah the problem is that what we're getting on the cheating question is exactly what you would expect if PGI wasn't doing jack poo poo about the cheating question. After they published that list of cheaters who got banned, you could say for certain that there was a cheating issue but that PGI was doing something about it. They have apparently decided that the whole thing was a mistake and have retreated into the political cover provided by *opsec.* Not a strong move for a company that has a chronic honesty problem.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
I changed the medium laser which i barely used on the cataphract, for a tag, (main guns are 3x er large lasers) and set it to fire with both the lasers, and my backup ac/5. The amount of tagging is insane, im insane with tagging

fuck the ROW fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 25, 2016

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Spiders are a ton of fun.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Its basically "Temporary Dad" and will be ditched when its purpose (3rd basic) has been served.
Come to think of it, id rather call it "One Night Stand" instead.

One Night Dad
Fake Dad
Not My Real Ghost Dad
Jim

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Stanyer89 posted:

Looking at running a MAD-3R 2x PPC & 2x AC5 to try and capture the bonuses for the PPC which make it slightly more accurate and raising its muzzle velocity to around 1600 m/s and lowering its heat by 10%.

PPCs really aren't worth it right now. The minimum range thing really fucks them. The velocity quirks help out a lot, true, but not enough that they aren't better replaced with lasers.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Love Stole the Day posted:

I'm a big fan of Gaben's strategy with VAC: instead of trying to detect cheaters, VAC will instead detect the cheater software by waiting for it to verify that the user has paid for its service.

So when you start up Helios, Helios will inevitably verify that you're paying your $40/month by pinging its home servers or whatever. That's how all of this cheater software works, pretty much.

So VAC will wait for your computer to eventually do that check and then be like "gotcha, bitch!"

Source: Gaben's AMA about VAC and cheaters http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1y70ej/valve_vac_and_trust/

If you fully read that post you'll note that this strategy was effective for 13 days before cheat developers deployed a workaround (manipulating DNS cache on the client). The arms race continues.

Tujague posted:

Yeah the problem is that what we're getting on the cheating question is exactly what you would expect if PGI wasn't doing jack poo poo about the cheating question. After they published that list of cheaters who got banned, you could say for certain that there was a cheating issue but that PGI was doing something about it. They have apparently decided that the whole thing was a mistake and have retreated into the political cover provided by *opsec.* Not a strong move for a company that has a chronic honesty problem.

You're not wrong. They haven't done themselves any favors in terms of building player trust in other areas that they could then lean on here.

Super 3 posted:

I get this and all I'm saying is that acknowledgement and a 'we're working on it' wouldn't be remiss. I don't think anyone expects PGI to drop details about what they might be doing.

Yeah, I wasn't really speaking to your post specifically as much as the general cheating conversation.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Drythe posted:

One Night Dad
Fake Dad
Not My Real Ghost Dad
Jim

Uncle Bob.

Ok, so recommend me a 50-60 ton mech that is not the blackjack (i already have a jager in that planned lance).
You know what, recommend me 3. I shouldnt lock down my dropdecks to a specific set of mechs.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Slapdad? Smackdad? Splatdad?

Something stepdad?

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Axetrain posted:

Just reminding everyone that Polar Highland is a dogshit map and your primary job as group leader should be to vote in whatever way lets you escape that bad map for bad people.

I believe this loadout will solve all your problems with that map.

In exchange you get a set of new ones, but they're funnier to deal with.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Uncle Bob.

Ok, so recommend me a 50-60 ton mech that is not the blackjack (i already have a jager in that planned lance).
You know what, recommend me 3. I shouldnt lock down my dropdecks to a specific set of mechs.

Enforcer-4R secretly gets pretty good energy quirks

you could do something like this

ENF-4R

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Friction posted:

I believe this loadout will solve all your problems with that map.

In exchange you get a set of new ones, but they're funnier to deal with.

You get one shot before your core goes supernova.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Elliotw2 posted:

Hit a mech in the right place and you might make it an okay trade :v:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Elliotw2 posted:

well, two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTlXw2qGB2w

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Cyrano4747 posted:

PPCs really aren't worth it right now. The minimum range thing really fucks them. The velocity quirks help out a lot, true, but not enough that they aren't better replaced with lasers.

Wait, there's a minimum range? My laughable myst lynx thing has been running around shooting people from 5 feet away with one this whole time

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Elliotw2 posted:

It's actually more like a sizzling meltdown taking a minute or so with all the sirens blaring. One shot, one kill. Place it wisely :sicknasty:

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

isn't that video from before the heat capacity changes?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I've never been able to figure out how to get a second shot off.

gently caress the ROW posted:

Wait, there's a minimum range? My laughable myst lynx thing has been running around shooting people from 5 feet away with one this whole time

ER PPCs (including clan models) have no minimum range.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 25, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

teepo posted:

isn't that video from before the heat capacity changes?

A.o.D. posted:

I've never been able to figure out how to get a second shot off.

shoot, you know, it might be.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I with lb10x were better

They're more satisfying than ac20s

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Supraluminal posted:

If you fully read that post you'll note that this strategy was effective for 13 days before cheat developers deployed a workaround (manipulating DNS cache on the client). The arms race continues.

Theres a lot of bits here that are of interesting and topical, such as the need to manage image. Ironically, by creating uncertainty about detection and a high level of suspicion about their prevalence, this directly benefits cheat companies because it is more likely customers will investigate options and risk using them. I also find the idea of turning the attack around, so to speak, an interesting solution to the problem, although it is clear that due both to the number of cheat programs as well as the limited actions a game developer can take toward them that this is not a surefire solution. I also wonder the degree to which legal actions could be taken, as while most of these companies will not be in the the jurisdiction of their users, the money ultimately is and must flow to them in some capacity which could potentially be restricted.

In any event, while I agree with the sentiment that words should be said to manage negative feelings about this stuff, I also admit that it seems like most of the player base is either unaffected by or unaware of such things. If that is the case, then announcing some thing about anti-cheating stuff is going to make matters worse on the image end, not better.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
The one time I've been able to distinctively identify a player cheating was practically carbon-copy of the 'helios test' videos linked earlier.

Specifically, a laser shot at long range that started on the side/CT and within less than half a second swept to the cockpit and stayed there. While I was moving.

Trying to spot ESP in use is practically impossible, and an exercise in paranoia.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Herb Dington posted:

The one time I've been able to distinctively identify a player cheating was practically carbon-copy of the 'helios test' videos linked earlier.

Specifically, a laser shot at long range that started on the side/CT and within less than half a second swept to the cockpit and stayed there. While I was moving.

Trying to spot ESP in use is practically impossible, and an exercise in paranoia.

One issue with wall hacking accusations is that competitive teams will blanket the sky with UAVs, so in many cases they literally do know where you're about to pop out of cover

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Someone toss me a WoL invite. I'll be on wayyyyyy too much today

Edit: Never mind my stupid contract doesn't run out for 36 hours. Teach me not to read the OP

Raged fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 26, 2016

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I guess I should stop being shy and join up too. In-game as Sardaukar and I'd appreciate an invite to WoL.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
I am also a bad newbie who likes shooting butts and needs a WOL invite. Game name is 'Alexei Avestov'.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Playing this game with goons is infinitely more fun than soloing. Plus you get to hear fun goon life anecdotes while shooting robots. Occasionally there is even good teamwork and poo poo going on.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I won't be able to invite for a while, but luckily anyone can invite, just go to Member Management in Faction Play and type in their name.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I just bought the ECM cataphract because it's on sale and I love mechs with ECM.

What other two models should I be looking at to grab for elite-ing it? I just want the two least painful to grind out.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Or bug someone on mumble until they do it just to shut you up.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The AC-20 Urbanmech is ultra-kawaii :3:

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
sent friend invites to both. Accept then send me a message I will appear as offline. I can then shoot you a unit invite.

e: going offline but will be back in an hour or so.

TeeMerk fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 26, 2016

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TeeMerk posted:

sent friend invites to both. Accept then send me a message I will appear as offline. I can then shoot you a unit invite.

sebmojo posted:

just go to Member Management in Faction Play and type in their name.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

mashed_penguin posted:

Playing this game with goons is infinitely more fun than soloing. Plus you get to hear fun goon life anecdotes while shooting robots. Occasionally there is even good teamwork and poo poo going on.

loving LIES.

sebmojo posted:

I won't be able to invite for a while, but luckily anyone can invite, just go to Member Management in Faction Play and type in their name.

Or just grab them as a friend and invite with right-clicks. OPSEC time, make them go through the "Trial of Walter" before inviting, afterwards, make them get you coffee, prostitutes (not TOO expensive), and dry cleaning.

e: Perhaps drugs too... Perhaps.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
looking at buying the HBK II pack since it is not a stupid price. Is it worth it?

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Raged posted:

looking at buying the HBK II pack since it is not a stupid price. Is it worth it?

Realtalk? I did this when they came out. I haven't touched them yet. Too expensive to upgrade if you have less than 7mil earmarked for each.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

armchairyoda posted:

loving LIES.

You don't get to keep our late night chats to yourself :colbert: Shittalking while robutting must be shared by all.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

It's a sure sign of strange times when Redditors consider the 'phract, Highlander, and Victor on the same level of 'is about to die; needs food badly' as dogshit like Vindicators and Awesomes.

How times change :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Uncle Bob.

Griffins. Especially the 2n. I also like trebuchets.

• Locked thread