Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Everything you paint has such distinctive style, Germ. Almost like a watercolor effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Scowny posted:

I've got a 1000 points for Zone Mortalis that basically is the Calth box, not sure if it's any good?

I haven't played any ZM so I may be off base but I'd be a little worried about dealing with terminators or enemy dreadnoughts- it looks like you have plenty of ways to pop infantry but are a little light on dealing with the tougher stuff.

Germ
May 7, 2013

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Everything you paint has such distinctive style, Germ. Almost like a watercolor effect.

I appreciate that! Usually, I like my style. In this case, though, I was hoping for more of a graphic, hard-line look.New day, new challenge!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Masters Of Siege (ROW)
-May target friendly units with template attacks
-Must re-roll unsuccessfully hits that target friendly units
-2 additional troops choices, mandatory

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

Masters Of Siege (ROW)

-Friendly models hit may not make cover saves.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Also to the dude who wanted to play White Scars, here's a cool paint theme that's pretty easy to pull off and looks dope:

(not mine obviously)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

drat, now that's how you do 30k Scars.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Germ posted:

I appreciate that! Usually, I like my style. In this case, though, I was hoping for more of a graphic, hard-line look.New day, new challenge!

Seconding , the fact that your stuff is always dope as hell. I'm going to be painting up some nurgle daemons in the near future and I specifically thought of yours and Peirre's demons as inspiration.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

That would be me. Those are fantastic. I know how to do the chipped armor look but what's the best way to do the dirt and grime?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Masters Of Siege (ROW)

The mandatory troops cement this as reality rather than fiction.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

OhDearGodNo posted:

That would be me. Those are fantastic. I know how to do the chipped armor look but what's the best way to do the dirt and grime?

Start with a Zenithal Prime. Then highlight with white, color in your red, and do your metals. Oil wash everything with a dark brown and then throw some pigments on for the dirt afterwards. It's super super easy to great results on white, but you use a rattelcan or airbrush. If you do this by hand you will hate your life.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Any news on the shattered legions list?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'll post my test guy, now it's a party:

I learned a lot because I made many mistakes.

1. Next time base color > pin wash > highlights. The wash absolutely killed my highlights doing it last.
2. EC don't generally have white shoulders. I'm going to go with the classic 40k EC shoulders because they're ostentatious and I want to go more Mid-Heresy (post-Maraviglia) with my space-barbies.
3. I used a filthy brush to mop up the wash, and it left chunks all over that leg. :barf: Next time, every time, clean brushes.

I picked up an IMEX platformer kit to chop up and make basing easier. Going forward, instead of frontier world / Necromunda I'd like to base them urban / space hulk.

Do we know anything more about the Kakophoni-as-troops RoW?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Hopefully by next weekend, is anyone in the thread going?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

BULBASAUR posted:

Start with a Zenithal Prime. Then highlight with white, color in your red, and do your metals. Oil wash everything with a dark brown and then throw some pigments on for the dirt afterwards. It's super super easy to great results on white, but you use a rattelcan or airbrush. If you do this by hand you will hate your life.

Thanks

I've never used an airbrush. Guess it's a good time to start.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You can get away with rattlecans honestly, but an airbrush makes painting really easy.

Germ
May 7, 2013

moths posted:

I'll post my test guy, now it's a party:

I learned a lot because I made many mistakes.

I like your plastic man! Hadn't realized there was a place on the bolter for a dot of color. It ties in the eyes nicely. I'm going to steal that.

The one thing I would suggest is to consider making the chest bands gold/brass instead of silver. Nothing says EC like purple and gold.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

moths posted:

I picked up an IMEX platformer kit to chop up and make basing easier. Going forward, instead of frontier world / Necromunda I'd like to base them urban / space hulk.

Before you get too deep into that, just take a peek at Champ Industries's bases. They have some industrial zone bases that are $0.30/each that might be easier for you in the long run.

The marine looks good though. Better than the one I did, which I'm just too drat ashamed to even post.

I was thinking of a single white shoulderpad, gold legion emblem on white field for my marines. I may decide to go with more of a stone grey and white highlight though.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Hey 30k test painting buddies.

I was the dude looking at white scars but decided to go with Word Bearers out of a total lack of suitable asian heads.
Those look pretty great though and are similar to what I would have done if I had the skill.

Anyway here's my fellas, also doing Ultras for a buddy.

My first Word Bearer, trying for a metallic style with different washes over runefang then a sorta edge highlight weathering with Necron compound. You can see I still haven't got paint thinning or uniform washes down and theres some pretty crappy smears of metal I need to sort out but I still like it.

I then got excited and painted a few more.

Theres the lonely Ultramarine bro, painted in a slightly different way using mixed metal paints, I've also painted one of them with the same method as my Word Bearers but I don't have the right inks or paints for it.
Still a bunch of sloppy stuff but overall these are easily my favourite marines I've painted.

Waiting on a delivery of new brushes and some metal medium to experiment with.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Those looks pretty good, overall. It has a unique style to it- kinda like a worn, well brushed metal. Is that what you were going for?

e: One problem you might have is that nothing really pops on the models to make them catch your eye. If you are looking for feedback, I would consider adding more saturated highlights to areas like the lenses, metals, and raised armor plates. That should be enough to bring them to life I think.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 26, 2016

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

koreban posted:

The marine looks good though. Better than the one I did, which I'm just too drat ashamed to even post.

:protarget: just do it. It's cool to see what people are working on and it's cool to have a bunch of different ideas in this thread. There's a bunch of really high quality stuff but it's totally great to see everyone's projects!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

Those looks pretty good, overall. It has a unique style to it- kinda like a worn, well brushed metal. Is that what you were going for?

e: One problem you might have is that nothing really pops on the models to make them catch your eye. If you are looking for feedback, I would consider adding more saturated highlights to areas like the lenses, metals, and raised armor plates. That should be enough to bring them to life I think.

Thanks, man. Yeah thats sorta what I was going for, figured it sorta looks like they've just hastily changed to their fancy new traitor scheme and then got stuck in. Also got some weathering pigments incoming to play with.
Agreed on nothing really popping, I don't have the right paints to really highlight the green lenses at the moment so I'll be grabbing some of those. I was also thinking of adding light grey to the WB scheme (to symbolise the ashes of monarchia /sperg) but apart from the tactical marine faceplate wasn't sure where to put it and had bought the wrong grey.
How would you suggest highlighting the armour plates? I am looking for feedback here to make my mans as pretty as possible.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

tallkidwithglasses posted:

:protarget: just do it. It's cool to see what people are working on and it's cool to have a bunch of different ideas in this thread. There's a bunch of really high quality stuff but it's totally great to see everyone's projects!

The white on the shoulderpad looks as bad as the white on the kneepad. This was after a black prime, xereus purple base, drakenhof nightshade wash, genestealer purple highlight. I dind't bother cleaning up or finishing the bolter. Proof of concept was enough at that point and the lovely chalky white frustrated me to no end.

To the right is a guardsman that I did up to reflect my character in a dark heresy RP game. Dual weilding hotshot las tank driver who's carrying the ministorum priest's blessed eviscerator while he plonks daemons with a venerated thunder hammer courtesy of the Grey Knights.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

BULBASAUR posted:

Also to the dude who wanted to play White Scars, here's a cool paint theme that's pretty easy to pull off and looks dope:

(not mine obviously)

noice

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hencoe posted:

Hopefully by next weekend, is anyone in the thread going?

Yup, I'll be there. Are you? Or anyone else?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Strike Captain Alvarex Maun 140
Primus Medicae: artificer armour; bolt pistol; power weapon; melta bombs; refractor field; jump pack 145

14 Tactical Space Marines: chainswords; nuncio-vox; legion vexilla; + 1 Tactical Sergeant (artificer armour; power weapon; melta bombs) 275
14 Tactical Space Marines: chainswords; legion vexilla; + 1 Tactical Sergeant (artificer armour; power weapon; melta bombs) 265

Apothecarion Detachment
Apothecary: augury scanner 50
Apothecary: augury scanner 50
9 Veteran Space Marines: 2× plasma gun; + 1 Veteran Sergeant (power weapon; artificer armour) 250
Drop Pod 35
9 Veteran Space Marines: 2× plasma gun; + 1 Veteran Sergeant (power weapon; artificer armour) 250
Drop Pod 35
Drop Pod 35

7 Dark Furies: + 1 Chooser of the Slain (melta bombs) 270
Land Speeder Squadron
Land Speeder: volkite culverin; graviton gun 75
Land Speeder Squadron

Fire Raptor Gunship 200

Corvus Corax: Rite of War (Decapitation Strike) 450

3.000 points

I think this is going to be my finalized list, and the last purchases I ever make from GW

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I've been eyeballing the Victory is Vengeance campaign from book three as a way to get myself and perhaps a few others into 30k recently. If anyone has participated in one, or run the tactical strike rules at all, I'd be very interested in hearing about it.

Germ
May 7, 2013

richyp posted:

- I'd do the studs in your first highlight colour (maybe thinned a bit more) with a dot of unthinned at the very tip. If it looks too much, wash it with black afterwards.
- A couple of markings in red will stand out nicely too as it'll match the eye lenses. (Scripts, etc...)
- Try putting a much lighter grey dot/small line in the centre of you're current edge highlights for a nice "pop"
- "very" carefully wash a bit of watered down black in to those little lines on the beak so they stand out. This is scary on white as any spill will be a pain to clean up.

Instead of painting a new model, I went ahead and did this on the existing one. The extra layer of highlights helped all around; on the studs and the power armour. I think from here on it's just a matter of getting practiced with painting neat, crisp lines (instead of my typical "painterly" swashes). I think I also have a tendency to create my own highlight areas rather than sticking to the edges. I'll try restricting my highlights more on the power armour, since I like the effect it creates in others' work.

I added a red dot to part of the bolter. It helped tie things together a bit more. I was semi-successful in bringing out the beak vents. Next up is taking a stab at repainting the backpack.

I'm also thinking about adding a lot more details to the models - combat knives, bolt pistols, and the like. At least with my tactical blob, I was planning on running them with an extra close combat weapon, and some extra details might help create some more visual interest. It would also give me a place to bring in an olive drab color, which I'll likely be using for cloaks on the Mor Deythan and Maun.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

I wish, I want to get my hands in book 6 as fast as physically possible. One of these years I'll go.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Germ posted:

Instead of painting a new model, I went ahead and did this on the existing one. The extra layer of highlights helped all around; on the studs and the power armour. I think from here on it's just a matter of getting practiced with painting neat, crisp lines (instead of my typical "painterly" swashes). I think I also have a tendency to create my own highlight areas rather than sticking to the edges. I'll try restricting my highlights more on the power armour, since I like the effect it creates in others' work.

I added a red dot to part of the bolter. It helped tie things together a bit more. I was semi-successful in bringing out the beak vents. Next up is taking a stab at repainting the backpack.

I'm also thinking about adding a lot more details to the models - combat knives, bolt pistols, and the like. At least with my tactical blob, I was planning on running them with an extra close combat weapon, and some extra details might help create some more visual interest. It would also give me a place to bring in an olive drab color, which I'll likely be using for cloaks on the Mor Deythan and Maun.

I've been adding extra bits and pieces to my tac guys too, things I normally wouldn't bother with like the knives, grenades and pouches (as they usually slow down the painting of units) as well as a backpack banner for each group, just because.

Spent the last couple days assembling and priming a few more guys and painting up this guy, he was a lot less fun to paint than the regular tactical marines I posted earlier for some weird reason, I think it might have been the recessed armour plates with the raised metal edges around them making highlighting the red more of a pain. I also messed up the green on the cloak and went too much lighter with the last highlight.

Just noticed I forgot to paint the edge of the base black.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Reynold posted:

I've been eyeballing the Victory is Vengeance campaign from book three as a way to get myself and perhaps a few others into 30k recently. If anyone has participated in one, or run the tactical strike rules at all, I'd be very interested in hearing about it.

I'm in a VIV campaign right now, with fellow goon Arven, and I'd love to answer questions about it. One thing that's worth mentioning up front is that it is inherently asymmetrical and requires active structural decisions from its players--it's intentionally impossible to play it without discussing how you want to assign objectives, whether and when you want objectives to be hidden versus public knowledge, and how many objectives everyone has.

For example, ours is a two-player campaign. I'm Exterminators, Arven is Survivors. Survivors have a big uphill battle on the campaign level so we wanted to give them an edge at the mission level--it helps cultivate a real "winning the battle, losing the war" vibe. Each game, unless players want to invoke the Legendary Missions that become available at different times:

The Exterminators player can either randomly generate one objective and keep it secret, or choose one objective that is public knowledge.
The Survivors player can either randomly generate two objectives and have them be public knowledge, or choose one objective and keep it secret.

There are some nuances and caveats, but that should give you a sense of the vibe we want.

Arven is playing Militia, representing the resisting planetary defense force, and I'm playing a mix of warp cultists and Sons of Horus (with higher concentrations of marines as the invaders realize the scale of the problem). My most recent list was:

Hero: Centurion with Cataphractii terminator armor and chainfist
Leader: Grenadier Custodian with power weapon
(I had another Leader but he died in our first game and I haven't been able to afford another.)

Dreadnought w/ 2x CCW/Heavy Flamer arms (145)
Veteran w/ power sword (25)
5 Breachers, melta gun (65)
17 Levied Auxiliaries (34)
Grenadier w/ Flamer (10)
Grenadier w/ heavy stubber (10)
2 Seekers (30)
Tarantula w/ rotor cannons (30)
=350 (Plentiful Personnel)

I love VIV. Maybe I can take pictures of my force later.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

BULBASAUR posted:

I like the Alpha Legion infiltration.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mango Polo posted:

Mango you need to get all the deets on the new book. Also make sure to ask why they hate Iron Warriors and Dark Angles so much. For a friend.
I actually expect you'll see Tyrants at the event this year

nopantsjack posted:

Thanks, man. Yeah thats sorta what I was going for, figured it sorta looks like they've just hastily changed to their fancy new traitor scheme and then got stuck in. Also got some weathering pigments incoming to play with.
Agreed on nothing really popping, I don't have the right paints to really highlight the green lenses at the moment so I'll be grabbing some of those. I was also thinking of adding light grey to the WB scheme (to symbolise the ashes of monarchia /sperg) but apart from the tactical marine faceplate wasn't sure where to put it and had bought the wrong grey.
How would you suggest highlighting the armour plates? I am looking for feedback here to make my mans as pretty as possible.

For your copper trim, I'd highlight with an old gold color in a few spots and then follow up with a bright silver. As for your armour plates, you have two options- line highlight with a brighter red color and then follow up with some light grey mixed in... or take a bright silver color and hit all your raised edges with it. Each has a different effect:

Brighter highlights of the same color give a cartoony effect, like on the yellow edges and yellow rivets of my vindicator here:

Silver metallic highlights give a worn realistic effect to your model, but are more subtle:

I do both, which gives an interesting effect, but you'll be fine with one or the other.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

Brighter highlights of the same color give a cartoony effect, like on the yellow edges and yellow rivets of my vindicator here:

I do both, which gives an interesting effect, but you'll be fine with one or the other.

Ah yeah, I can see both types in that image on the yellow parts, that looks nice. I'll probably give that a go since a lot of my edges are already somewhat hit with silver.

Thanks for the pro-tips, they're much appreciated.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Silver metallic highlights give a worn realistic effect to your model, but are more subtle:

Does this ever rub off over time, because of it being graphite or do you spray some kind of sealant over it that keeps it from rubbing off?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That's a silver metallic paint. Graphite generally gets put on areas I don't touch. As it is a bit darker it's good for hard to reach raised areas or scratches:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Wait so you're pointing to silver metallic paint with a pencil that you also use to create a metallic effect. Not confusing at all

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sorry everyone. Hixson is a millennial. He was born incapable of reading sentences directly above pictures.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Is he the one who throws plastic men in anger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

No, thats the blood angels dude (stanyer?). I think hixon is the one who has to call panascope the warmaster.

You guys have really good stories.