Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

FulsomFrank posted:

All this talk about Keyflower has me this close to pulling the trigger on it. Are the expansions any good and worth grabbing with it or should I hold off?

Keyflower doesn't need any expansions to be "complete", it's an amazing game right out of the box. The expansions both add new ways to score VP that are completely different than the base game. Farmers adds a Carcassonne-esque setup of gaining points from placing animals in fields. Merchants has a contracts system that lets you acquire personal VP objectives that can't be taken away. Opinions as to which is better seems mixed, but both are nice as they change the direction of the game without making the base feel "incomplete".

But short version, no, you don't need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I played a bit of Elder Sign over the weekend, since my roomie got it for Christmas and he wanted to try it out. I actually enjoyed it. We blazed through Yig, had a somewhat tense match against Azatoth. I was sitting around today and tried a single player game, and hated it. I guess the teamwork and planning aspect is really the meat of the game, because otherwise it feels like frustrating Yahtzee.

One rule I thought I remembered from the app, but couldn't find in the rulebook was a limit on items / spells. Is there a limit on how many a character can hold, or is it unlimited?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

homullus posted:

"The Mechanic is the Message" is a take on games that's more explicit than the more nebulous "conveyance." The very essence of worker placement games is that workers are more or less interchangeable, sometimes expendable, and that some or all of an economy is a zero-sum game. I'd say picking on the Holocaust is pretty heavy-handed, but I'm not sure it's in poor taste.

Agree. The Problem with Train is not that it tackles a difficult subject, but that it doesn't let the mechanics of the game do enough heavy lifting. A few extra rules should have come in when what you're doing is revealed. Faced with what you're doing, you now have more options on how to be the most efficient - but is that what you want to do?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Bought Bunny Bunny Moose Moose. I'll add it to the Vlaada pile. I imagine it's good.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

I played a bit of Elder Sign over the weekend, since my roomie got it for Christmas and he wanted to try it out. I actually enjoyed it. We blazed through Yig, had a somewhat tense match against Azatoth. I was sitting around today and tried a single player game, and hated it. I guess the teamwork and planning aspect is really the meat of the game, because otherwise it feels like frustrating Yahtzee.

One rule I thought I remembered from the app, but couldn't find in the rulebook was a limit on items / spells. Is there a limit on how many a character can hold, or is it unlimited?

There is no limit

The General posted:

Bought Bunny Bunny Moose Moose. I'll add it to the Vlaada pile. I imagine it's good.

It's good at making people look stupid. The instruction manual makes a point of this, it also is deceptively difficult with advance cards.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

The General posted:

Sadly, this was (so far) Vlaada's one miss with me. Yes, it's silly fun, and yes, it has a brilliant rulebook with good humor (including making fun of people who are too afraid to look silly to play this game), but the actual gameplay fell a bit flat. I found the scoring to be a bit tedious, especially with a large group of players, and there's a "rubber band" mechanic that tends to make all the scoring seem a bit pointless since all the scores are confined to a small range.

I will say that this is based off of only one play, so maybe more play will show more of a skill difference.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Drink more. That's the key.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

Impermanent posted:

Agree. The Problem with Train is not that it tackles a difficult subject, but that it doesn't let the mechanics of the game do enough heavy lifting. A few extra rules should have come in when what you're doing is revealed. Faced with what you're doing, you now have more options on how to be the most efficient - but is that what you want to do?

Or a mechanic in which you _can_ figure out what you were doing, but it costs you something - to discover the horror, and afterward. There's an idea kicking around in social science that part of the reason why the Confederacy's economy never took off was because of slavery's psychological toll on the slavers, not just (and much more obviously) on the slaves. Maybe reduced efficiency is the price of knowledge (which I would think was less avoidable/deniable in the South than in Nazi Germany).

Then again, the only thing I know about Train is the article above, and maybe it just didn't do justice to the mechanics as message idea.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Train gets all the buzz, despite historicity issues, but I think Siochan Leat is actually the more interesting execution of her mechanic-is-the-message concept. It's about Cromwell's ruthless invasion of Ireland in the mid-1600s, and the resulting catastrophic famines. Rather than relying on historical gotchas, the game just gives you less and less space to play your area control farming game in until meeples start to starve and die.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Caros posted:

I really fail to see how anyone would be shocked by the 'revelation' with the Auschwitz card. You are playing a game involving 1930's era communications, on a table covered in broken glass where you load figures representing people onto a train.

Even if you missed every other blaring hint such as the goddamn SS symbol on the typewriter, it'd have to be obvious the moment you realize the goal is to load meeples onto box cars.

The artistic statement of 'Haha you were complicit all along!' feels really forced and the whole thing seems in remarkably bad taste.

There were people who figured out what it was by how it was presented and refused to play.

Those who played in the face of the evidence before the big reveal probably needed the history lesson. Doesn't seem tasteless or egregious to me. If you can't contextualise the horror, you needed the lesson.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Mensa game list from a few pages back sparked a faint memory of really enjoying Clue: the Great Museum Caper twenty years ago at a friend's place.

Is the game actually good or was I a particularly dull child? And since it's been out of print forever, are there any games that capture the same feel?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gutter Owl posted:

Train gets all the buzz, despite historicity issues, but I think Siochan Leat is actually the more interesting execution of her mechanic-is-the-message concept. It's about Cromwell's ruthless invasion of Ireland in the mid-1600s, and the resulting catastrophic famines. Rather than relying on historical gotchas, the game just gives you less and less space to play your area control farming game in until meeples start to starve and die.

If you would like another fine example of "mechanic-is-the-message" board games, about Irish people starving (this time in the 19th century), you could check out my Agricola clone Feirmeoir. It adds a push your luck mechanic to the normal Agricola formula in the form of Potatoes, a super crop that can makes food engines easily, but that fails at random a certain percentage of games. But of course, the game is balanced such that you can not easily win and survive without growing potatoes :twisted:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/175694/feirmeoir

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Y'all should play Navajo Wars.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

Bottom Liner posted:

How good is that Vassal module? Does it automate anything or is it just a graphical interface?

It's very, very, good. It automates setup at the beginning of each round, everything else is left up to you.

Caros
May 14, 2008

The End posted:

There were people who figured out what it was by how it was presented and refused to play.

Those who played in the face of the evidence before the big reveal probably needed the history lesson. Doesn't seem tasteless or egregious to me. If you can't contextualise the horror, you needed the lesson.

You are probably right, I sometimes forget that perspective is relative. It seems so obvious to me, but I'm sure even I know people who would look at the Grand reveal and still be confused.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

disperse posted:

It's very, very, good. It automates setup at the beginning of each round, everything else is left up to you.

Awesome. I haven't picked up my Lost Legion expansion from CSI yet so this will be great in the mean time.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Tekopo posted:

Y'all should play Navajo Wars.

Not an empty quote.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Like the game was made with quite a bit of feedback from one of the larger museums on Navajo culture. It also has a weird balance of how the Spanish/Mexican/Americans attempt to attack you, and in the end the game becomes a tricky balance of having to raid to impede the colonists and stop them encroaching, but the more you raid, the more aggressive your opponents will be, and the more punitive their raids will be.

It has a lot to tell about the era.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Gutter Owl posted:

I thought Train's "thing" wasn't the mechanics being the message but more that it's the Milgram Experiment in boardgame form, which is interesting.

(That observation was from someone else and Train didn't make a lick of sense to me until I thought of it that way. I had to look it up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment )

Anyway the idea is that you're playing this game then realize you're stuffing Jews into cattle cars. At this point people react in a variety of ways. For example, a player may feel icky and may do a 180 and intentionally underload a train car or find some other way to subvert the game rules. The point is that people might try to subvert the rules due to their new knowledge but they will often still acknowledge the implicit authority of the game rules and their agreement to play and still play the game despite trying to sink it or "win" in a different way. In other words the game rules are taking the place of the authority figure who is simply telling them "the experiment requires that you continue", and they frequently do continue (in one way or another.)

It makes total sense to go "well I agreed before but now things have changed in a way I don't like and it's just made-up boardgame rules anyway that aren't actually the boss of me in any way whatsoever so bye". Or just make up a new game on the spot and declare that you're now carting hay bales to Jupiter to be happy forever (since it's all made up anyway and you completely have the freedom to do that if you so wished) but it just doesn't normally work out that way.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I thought he point of Train is that you don't discover the truth until the very end, which is why it is unlike the Milgram experiment because there was no deception by omission (well, apart from the actors screaming) in that experiment.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Maybe I'm wrong about that part, it sounds more like just an introspective thought experiment thing in that case.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Tekopo posted:

I thought he point of Train is that you don't discover the truth until the very end, which is why it is unlike the Milgram experiment because there was no deception by omission (well, apart from the actors screaming) in that experiment.

No, you discover about ten or fifteen minutes the game, after you deliver your first trainload of victims. The game then tells you to run your train back and pick up more.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Rutibex posted:

If you would like another fine example of "mechanic-is-the-message" board games, about Irish people starving (this time in the 19th century), you could check out my Agricola clone Feirmeoir. It adds a push your luck mechanic to the normal Agricola formula in the form of Potatoes, a super crop that can makes food engines easily, but that fails at random a certain percentage of games. But of course, the game is balanced such that you can not easily win and survive without growing potatoes :twisted:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/175694/feirmeoir

This sounds neat. Now I kind of want to see an economic farming game where some crops are better than others but have a higher chance of going bust. Something where the blights are secretly determined at the start of the game so you have no idea what would happen or not. Hell, it probably already exists.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Odd request: suggestions for a board game that could be played in a hot tub

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Little_wh0re posted:

Hive I guess?? Do you mean like, underwater?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Little_wh0re posted:

marbles

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Little_wh0re posted:

Cards against humanity.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Little_wh0re posted:

Train.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Little_wh0re posted:

almost any card game works, if you laminate the cards (I have done this before with resistance, it kind of works)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So does train allow you to more efficiently pack people into cars at later stages of the game or what? Reading about it, it seems to be more ameritrashy that relies heavily on theme and components but I'd be disappointed since the premise could make for a good euro. Just gotta up that efficiency and action economy.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

EvilChameleon posted:

Could you (or anyone who has played it) kindly write some more words about this one? I like the looks of it and I am a fan of Keyflower and some games that look more cutesy and less like Chaos in the Old World would be nice on my shelf.

I don't know what world you live in where this game looks less terrifying than Chaos in the Old World

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

The_Doctor posted:

Bay Area Regional Planner a game about the San Francisco housing crisis. :stare:

That would be the most boring game ever. You'd put together your plans, and then get shut down by NIMBY bullshit so you'd never be able to make any progress.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

bobvonunheil posted:

I don't know what world you live in where this game looks less terrifying than Chaos in the Old World

More like Inhale The Earth.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I would imagine a lot of issue based board gaming suffers from similar problems that issue based video games suffer from: games are mechanical systems that are typically set up to instill feelings of mastery in their players. You can design games mechanically to be frustrating, and tie this to a theme (digitally, http://jayisgames.com/games/dys4ia/ Dys4ia or http://www.darfurisdying.com/ Darfur Is Dying), but neither of these are necessarily good or fun games to play. Reducing these ideas to simulations also cheapens them. Are you really, in any way, helping your player to understand that life in Darfur is difficult because you've made a mechanically unfair game? I'd say, "absolutely not."

So, at some point, you need to put feelings of mastery into the game. Train does this with the ol' switch-a-roo, where it asks you to develop a gameplay skill, and then says, "Oh, actually you're a Nazi." Hilariously, the game "Playing History: Slave Trade" did this too with Slave Tetris.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

Bottom Liner posted:

Awesome. I haven't picked up my Lost Legion expansion from CSI yet so this will be great in the mean time.

You'll have to contact Benkyo via BGG to request the Vassal module that includes the Lost Legion expansion. The one available on the Vassal site is the base box only.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Little_wh0re posted:

I'm not sure this is a serious request, but Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective can be played almost anywhere and doesn't require a tabletop. If you're careful, you wouldn't even need to laminate the handouts.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

You're in a hottub. Probably drinking. You'll want to waterproof the everything.

I've actually had this discussion, and a wooden cribbage board would float, and plastic cards wouldn't get ruined.

How big is your hottub? How many players?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Indian poker would be a good one too.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Campaign for North Africa in a swimming pool??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Mage Knight. Laminate all parts and just houserule the tiles drifting away into a game mechanic.