Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Scruffpuff posted:

So here's another thing that gets to me. They're hanging on Chris's word like it's worth something, right? "I'll wait to see what Chris says." OK fine, but here's the thing - frequently what he says contradicts something he said before. So which information from your messiah was good info - the first thing he said, or the latest? Why would you hang on the word of a guy you know, for a demonstrable fact, is full of poo poo? Someone who continually changes what he says? It's loving weird.
I know! Messiahs are usually much more consistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Guys, I'm literally giddy.

Like, I'm loving shaking.

Guys... It's starting.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
I wonder, what's the going rate for a customer database of the most collectively gullible people in the world.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Wasn't there some fantastically silly thing going on with the AI in WC1–4? I know that Privateer 2 didn't actually have any AI to speak of, since they couldn't actually attack and damage your ship in any meaningful way, but I seem to recall that the previous games had some very simplistic decision-making going on in terms of what the NPCs were doing.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

Toops posted:

Guys, I'm literally giddy.

Like, I'm loving shaking.

Guys... It's starting.

I know how you feel. I need to go to sleep but I'm too excited right now.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Mirificus posted:

I wonder, what's the going rate for a customer database of the most collectively gullible people in the world.

What do you think the funding counter on CIG's site is for? :v:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Once the shotgun is working, this poo poo is ON.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
This is it, this is the shark.

They are jumping it.

Nothing good can ever come out of this.

I will see myself out.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

G0RF posted:

Yes.

He's up to Episode 75, and thus has answered 750 questions, almost always affirming even outlandish or horribly complicated requests. Rare is the occasion he flatly answers no (maybe once every few episodes he might).

So there are at least 600 specific feature-related promises-- many of which are new or double down on commitments made in the original crowdfunding pitch and in stretch goals.

Which is what makes tonight's Star Marine answer quite interesting. Consider what was promised in Episode 59 of "Ten for the Chairman".

someone post this on reddit. i want to see their mental gymnastics in full force

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

Once the shotgun is working, this poo poo is ON.

Soon enough they'll realize that you can call the super() method to use the default crysis shotty and then everything will be fine.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

someone post this on reddit. i want to see their mental gymnastics in full force

you dont understand game development

its easy to be a citizen

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Captain Autism already covered his bases by saying that the FPS will improve constantly with 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, etc., so the cultists are already repeating that line verbatim.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Scruffpuff posted:

What do they call those groups that believe the world will end on a specific date, and the date comes, and nothing happens, and the leader changes his tune, and then they follow that, and that keeps happening, and they never wise up? What are those groups of people called?

It's on the tip of my tongue.

I believe you are thinking of "Mormons." They had a broadway play about them a while back

Google Butt posted:

gotta hand it to you chris, you really pulled a fast one on these dweebs and i respect that

Somebody should buy Chris Roberts an SA account he would fit right in...

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

quote:

Today we have 10 for the Chairman, where Chris covers a number of topics including a minor update to the current philosophy and status of Star Marine.

Old philosophy and status: Star Marine is a thing, and we are working on it

New philosophy and status: There is no such thing as Star Marine, and it's also already done

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Scruffpuff posted:

Old philosophy and status: Star Marine is a thing, and we are working on it

New philosophy and status: There is no such thing as Star Marine, and it's also already done

*jedi mind trick*

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

quote:

If the owner of ship goes offline, what happens to crew?
A2: They'll think of something because it would be easily exploitable otherwise.

3.5 years in and they don't even know the answer to this. Holy poo poo.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Scruffpuff posted:

Even better is that Chris just outplayed every end-of-world cult leader in recent memory. "Guys, I WAS RIGHT! The world DID end when I said! It's been ended this whole time! This is what I was saying the end of the world would look like in the very very beginning. Pretty much how it looks now."

That's some Church of the Subgenius level bullshit. I am truly impressed.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Daztek posted:

*jedi mind trick*

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

OhDearGodNo posted:

3.5 years in and they don't even know the answer to this. Holy poo poo.

To be fair it's something that has never ever been tried before so you cannot expect them to figure in advance all those little details. Like, how can you prevent someone else from stealing your ship? it's not like keys are available in the future.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Illegal Move posted:

"People that pledged for Star Marine already have their FPS"

Boy, the news of this very modest and hushed launch sure spread fast.

Thank you for telling me what I feel, person on the internet!

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
I liked the part where Chris said they'll be doing only 2.2, 2.3, 2.4 and so on "through the year", and 3.0 might be the ability to fly between star systems.

So he's admitting what we already knew, that the cultists will be dinking around Port Olisar for a very long time.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Chin posted:

I liked the part where Chris said they'll be doing only 2.2, 2.3, 2.4 and so on "through the year", and 3.0 might be the ability to fly between star systems.

So he's admitting what we already knew, that the cultists will be dinking around Port Olisar for a very long time.

They haven't figured out how jump points are going to work yet, that's why it's taking so long

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Scruffpuff posted:

So here's another thing that gets to me. They're hanging on Chris's word like it's worth something, right? "I'll wait to see what Chris says." OK fine, but here's the thing - frequently what he says contradicts something he said before. So which information from your messiah was good info - the first thing he said, or the latest? Why would you hang on the word of a guy you know, for a demonstrable fact, is full of poo poo? Someone who continually changes what he says? It's loving weird.

I will never trust a person's expertise if he is incapable of performing the simple task of making sure his own loving game works during his own loving live demo. Also, showing complete lack of fucks on camera, sitting on his fat rear end mumbling to nobody in particular, while his employee frantically runs around trying to fix poo poo.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

lol

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Agrajag posted:

I will never trust a person's expertise if he is incapable of performing the simple task of making sure his own loving game works during his own loving live demo. Also, showing complete lack of fucks on camera, sitting on his fat rear end mumbling to nobody in particular, while his employee frantically runs around trying to fix poo poo.

um thats just part of the OPEN DEVELOPMENT. you wouldnt want it to look scripted / polished and fun, would you? checkmate you stupid goon.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Daztek posted:

They haven't figured out how jump points are going to work yet, that's why it's taking so long

Well, first you have to jump on your science vessel with the science and telescope modules attached. Then you have to detect a jump point and play the stabilization mini-game. Then you will be able to setup a way to profit from your discovery and only after that people will be able to jump. How exactly will they do so is not particularly difficult to code so it'll have to wait until the more important stuff is done.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

G0RF posted:

He actually rejects this suggestion as overcomplicated and suggests as simpler version will be implemented. You heard it hear first.
Ehm. The thing that even fairly arcade:y flight sims had in 1995? Yeah. That seems too complicated for Chris.

It's also slightly worrying that displays aren't… well, generic displays; that they aren't just instances of a surface that can accept some 2D UI rendering, but rather have to be bespoke for whatever functions are hard-coded into that one display.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

um thats just part of the OPEN DEVELOPMENT. you wouldnt want it to look scripted / polished and fun, would you? checkmate you stupid goon.

i am born again!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Tippis posted:

Ehm. The thing that even fairly arcade:y flight sims had in 1995? Yeah. That seems too complicated for Chris.

It's also slightly worrying that displays aren't… well, generic displays; that they aren't just instances of a surface that can accept some 2D UI rendering, but rather have to be bespoke for whatever functions are hard-coded into that one display.

To be fair, if one has multiple display monitors, you can't simply choose what goes on each display. I can't imagine how far into the future we'll go before that kind of tech becomes available.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Scruffpuff posted:

To be fair, if one has multiple display monitors, you can't simply choose what goes on each display. I can't imagine how far into the future we'll go before that kind of tech becomes available.

Yeah, and just think about what kind of furniture you need. Imagine if you drag your browser down below your screen, and now you have to stack your monitor on top of a different monitor so you can get some display area down there and drag the window back up again. Maybe there can be some standardised arms and mounts that let you move them around or something.

In the future.

Future is crazy.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Agrajag posted:

i am born again!

I boot, I crash, I boot again

to Port Olisar, matte and gray

See you in the 'verse

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55HXtqdiqsA

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Chris: Star Marine is not coming out, it is also already done but a work in progress and will probably be ready after launch.
Someone: Star Marine is not coming out!
:reddit:-1: I didn't read it that way at all. There's a bunch of features...
:reddit:-2: I disagree, to me, what he meant was that they don't have a specific...
:reddit:-3: To me it sounds like they haven't settled on ...
:reddit:-4: I could be completely reading into this too much but...

Those are actual quotes. I need to get into the scam reddit action.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Gilganixon posted:

GBS is actually good and you should post there (by "you" I mean everyone)

especially post in my CYOA threads

I think I've made fun of you in those threads but you just ignored it because you're not a thin skinned wiener kid

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

lol jesus what a shitshow

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Beautiful. What is the first song you used in it friend

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

:five:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

gently caress YOU new friend

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Booblord Zagats posted:

I think I've made fun of you in those threads but you just ignored it because you're not a thin skinned wiener kid

I put on a brave face but your cyberbullying probably cut me right to the quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Imagine there's no shotgun
And missing crosshairs too
No private servers
Floors that we all fall through
Imagine all the people
Getting loving played...

Imagine there's no physics
And no persistence too
And Chris's only focus
Is Squadron 42
Imagine all the people
Getting loving screwed...