Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Have any reenactors tried strapping Gopros to their head/weapons yet? Because someone should.

No gopros in a Protestant regiment, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

EvanSchenck posted:

My strong suspicion would be gisarme as the French term for the English bill and similarly constructed weapons.

What leads you to this conclusion?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Have any reenactors tried strapping Gopros to their head/weapons yet? Because someone should.

every now and then; go to youtube and search for Grolle or "Slag Om Grolle" for a start

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

No gopros in a Protestant regiment, sorry.
i did an informal poll over breakfast one morning; so many catholics

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

i did an informal poll over breakfast one morning; so many catholics

The thirty years' war: Nobody said no catholics in a protestant regiment.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Perestroika posted:

Now, I'm not certain whether this actually was a judicial duel, but I'll take any excuse to post Talhoffer's illustrations of "man with mace in a hole against woman with flail"

this is how I look when I'm trying to bash someone's brains out with a rock wrapped in cloth

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Wanna try that mace between the legs sweep

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Not reenactors but my LARP buddy did both. Strapping a gopro to your weapon is the fastest way to get motion sickness you can imagine :vomarine:

Had some cool footage, including me getting concussed from a broken LARP hammer, but we had to take them all down as the organisers banned Gopro footage :saddowns:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

Not reenactors but my LARP buddy did both. Strapping a gopro to your weapon is the fastest way to get motion sickness you can imagine :vomarine:

Had some cool footage, including me getting concussed from a broken LARP hammer, but we had to take them all down as the organisers banned Gopro footage :saddowns:

Your organizers suck and I hate them

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

What leads you to this conclusion?

Nothing concrete, which is why I called it a suspicion rather than a conclusion. Billhooks were a common implement in Anglo-Saxon Britain and mounted to a pole they would have defied categorization as either a spear or an axe. I'm suggesting that if the English had undefined polearms at Hastings they may have been bills on the basis of agricultural billhooks being available in the time and place and the weapon version belonging to the the set of polearms that are not axes or spears etc. It doesn't necessarily follow that gisarme=bill, though, because Wace may simply have lacked a ready term for them in Norman and borrowed a "near-enough" equivalent, or been mistaken in his chronicle about what exactly they were carrying so many years earlier.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HEY GAL posted:

swords are special. your musket/pike has been sold/rented to you by your commander, it's not really yours, sometimes there's shipment problems so they don't arrive when they should, when you go through switzerland sometimes you have to transport them in sealed wagons rather than each soldier carrying his own (the swiss are my subjects' enemies and sometimes they get touchy), but your sword is yours

Now I'm curious whether / how much sword control (swords specifically, given this context) was a thing in the Empire and its adjacent polities (cf the Swiss). Are there folks who straight up ain't allowed to carry swords given the symbolic importance?

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

EvanSchenck posted:

It doesn't necessarily follow that gisarme=bill, though, because Wace may simply have lacked a ready term for them in Norman and borrowed a "near-enough" equivalent, or been mistaken in his chronicle about what exactly they were carrying so many years earlier.

This, more or less, is my hunch. I also suspect that gisarme might, in Wace's time, be a catchall term for non-spearlike polearms. This is partly because Wace is using a French term, which suggests that there is, at least, a polearm of some kind in France. The other major reason is because of the "giserne" in the 14th century manuscript of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, which is an crescent-shaped axe (not too unlike a berdysh).

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

This, more or less, is my hunch. I also suspect that gisarme might, in Wace's time, be a catchall term for non-spearlike polearms. This is partly because Wace is using a French term, which suggests that there is, at least, a polearm of some kind in France. The other major reason is because of the "giserne" in the 14th century manuscript of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, which is an crescent-shaped axe (not too unlike a berdysh).

I mean, this is based on a cursory googling so take it with a grain of salt, but I read that Chaucer also used the terms "gisarme" and "bill" (referring to the tool/weapon) somewhat interchangeably in a few of his writings.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Hey Hey Rodrigo, in relation to my forthcoming First Crusade effortpost, I want to give you a list of names and ask your opinion of them:

Riley-Smith, Tyerman, Runciman, Mayer, David Nicolle, Peter Frankopan, Walter Kaegi, Robert Hoyland, Thomas Asbridge.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Hey Hey Rodrigo, in relation to my forthcoming First Crusade effortpost, I want to give you a list of names and ask your opinion of them:

Riley-Smith, Tyerman, Runciman, Mayer, David Nicolle, Peter Frankopan, Walter Kaegi, Robert Hoyland, Thomas Asbridge.

Riley-Smith is essential. Runciman and Asbridge I discarded for reasons I can't remember.

Here is what I told a friend about Nicolle:
Writes a lot about Eastern Europe and Orthodox peoples, but has very little understanding of Orthodoxy. Way too fond of lamellar.

The others I don't know.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Way too fond of lamellar.

The entire world of viking reenactors

Railtus
Apr 8, 2011

daz nu bi unseren tagen
selch vreude niemer werden mac
der man ze den ziten pflac

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Riley-Smith is essential. Runciman and Asbridge I discarded for reasons I can't remember.

Here is what I told a friend about Nicolle:
Writes a lot about Eastern Europe and Orthodox peoples, but has very little understanding of Orthodoxy. Way too fond of lamellar.

The others I don't know.

I remember reading Runciman and finding his work to be almost entirely narrative. He presented his works as a story told more or less chronologically, without delving into the sources or how he came to the conclusions he did - he just presented everything as a narrative of "this happened" without sharing the analysis behind it. In essence he was a storywriter rather than a historian, so for serious research he was kind of a waste. On top of that, Runciman's work finishes by blanket declaring "the Holy War in itself was nothing more than a long act of intolerance in the name of God, which is a sin against the Holy Ghost”, yet I read his first book and found absolutely nothing when reading it to justify that conclusion. At the time I was looking for information on inter-faith relations in the Crusader states, rather than the First or Second or Third or Fourth Crusade, but if the Crusades were a long act of intolerance then surely there'd be something on the ongoing intolerance between the end of the First Crusade in 1099 and the start of the Third Crusade in 1189.

A possible explanation would be that Runciman seemed to favour the Byzantines, and he was basing his conclusions far too much on the Fourth Crusade with the Sack of Constantinople while forgetting about nearly everything else. No nuance takes place in his conclusion, even when the bulk of the events in his narrative seems to be more or less unrelated to his concluding theme.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Now I'm curious whether / how much sword control (swords specifically, given this context) was a thing in the Empire and its adjacent polities (cf the Swiss). Are there folks who straight up ain't allowed to carry swords given the symbolic importance?
Sword control was a huge thing.

"Weapons" is a narrow and symbolically rich term, remember that literally everyone carries a belt knife and there are many ways to kill people--murder trials involving peasants have them hitting one another with beer steins or shovels, trials with women in them mention cleavers or kitchen implements. These people have ways to kill one another but they aren't "armed."

Jews are weapons-unfähig, but they sometimes carry swords when travelling anyway, although they're not supposed to.
Peasants aren't supposed to bear "swords" but they carry "long knives" which are like half as long, and thicker too. There is a martial art for Grossmesser, and I've seen some people at my fencing class thwock those things into rolled tatami mats like chopping a melon.

For more on who can and can't bear swords and their symbolism, check out Barbara Tlusty's The Martial Ethic In Early Modern Germany, but the title sucks, there's nothing in it about soldiers or warfare, she needed a different word than "martial."
https://www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.php?id=35855

Edit: Funny observation: historians who study early modern German cities or how citydwellers think talk about the central importance of the militia for these peoples' conception of themselves and their daily life. Heads of households in Tlusty's book are required to maintain weapons, for instance, and there's a tension in Lyall Roper's Oedipus and the Devil between the part that the same turbulent masculinity that undergirds city defense is also responsible for fistfights and breaking the city's peace. If you read historians of male civilians, you'll get the impression that militias were a big deal.

Historians who study mercenaries mention them in very few words, usually something like "the people in this region had a civic militia, they came out against us, we killed them quickly." apparently they sucked bad.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 24, 2016

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

Peasants aren't supposed to bear "swords" but they carry "long knives" which are like half as long, and thicker too. There is a martial art for Grossmesser, and I've seen some people at my fencing class thwock those things into rolled tatami mats like chopping a melon.
Some messers reached the length of a proper longsword. "No, constable, this two-handed murdertool is just my everyday knife!" Because, see, the hilt's built like you would build a knife (that is, rivet two slabs of wood on the tang) instead of a real sword with a pommel and everything.

I got to try out a (blunt practice) messer earlier today, and oh my goodness it is the quickest, most nimble thing. Playing around with one is just an absolute joy. :ese:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
thwock

edit: honestly, a woman killing someone with a cleaver or a male peasant killing someone with a Grossmesser or a shovel will probably end up messier than a male gentile buerger or a soldier rapiering someone to death, for all that the last one is the symbolically important one.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 24, 2016

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Any papers you'd recommend on 30yw militia organization? I think I'm finally starting to make sense of how it worked in China and want to compare.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
check the bibliographies of The Martial Ethic In Early Modern Germany and Oedipus and the Devil chapters 5 and 7. That's city militias--I know almost nothing about regional Landesdefension organizations except that they existed.

and this is going to be very different from China at the get-go because China has no city-states in your period

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 24, 2016

Railtus
Apr 8, 2011

daz nu bi unseren tagen

Siivola posted:

Some messers reached the length of a proper longsword. "No, constable, this two-handed murdertool is just my everyday knife!" Because, see, the hilt's built like you would build a knife (that is, rivet two slabs of wood on the tang) instead of a real sword with a pommel and everything.

I got to try out a (blunt practice) messer earlier today, and oh my goodness it is the quickest, most nimble thing. Playing around with one is just an absolute joy. :ese:

This is actually why I don't feel sword-control in the Empire was taken heavily seriously. The whole legal loophole regarding messers (which I've never seen a primary source for, so if anyone can confirm or debunk it I'd appreciate it) only seems plausible if the authorities are willing to accept giant murder-knives being carried around by ordinary citizens, and if they are willing to accept giant murder-knives then disarming the populace is not too high on their list of priorities.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Railtus posted:

This is actually why I don't feel sword-control in the Empire was taken heavily seriously. The whole legal loophole regarding messers (which I've never seen a primary source for, so if anyone can confirm or debunk it I'd appreciate it) only seems plausible if the authorities are willing to accept giant murder-knives being carried around by ordinary citizens, and if they are willing to accept giant murder-knives then disarming the populace is not too high on their list of priorities.

To be fair, in a different place, my ancestors managed to get around the Habsburgs banning them from carrying weapons around by using "wood hatchets, I swear!" that had conveniently long handles and a chunk of metal in the back that could be remade into an armor piercing spike with some heat and a few twacks with a hammer.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Railtus posted:

giant murder knives have a completely different symbolic weight to them. the pope's skullcap and a yarmulke are exactly the same shape but they are not the same thing because they mean something different

nobody is trying to disarm the populace, this is a populace that will happily kill one another with kitchen knives and pieces of old furniture if they don't have anything else. they are trying to make sure members of one social order do not wear the attributes symbolically appropriate to members of another social order

edit: this is a society where every time anyone writes they have a tiny, wickedly sharp knife on the table next to them to sharpen the pen. it is not difficult to find "something to kill someone else with" in early modern europe. but that's not the same thing as "a weapon."

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 24, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

This is also the society in which landsknechte were granted a special dispensation to wear ridiculous caricatures of clothing and such a dispensation could exist.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
do not diss the landsknecht clothing, those brothers are super fly

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

do not diss the landsknecht clothing, those brothers are super fly

That's not an insult, I'm just amazed that they were allowed to make themselves into a personified mocking of fashion.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

That's not an insult, I'm just amazed that they were allowed to make themselves into a personified mocking of fashion.
huge sleeves held together with tiny ribbons: check
sword: check
dagger: check
pike: check
booty shorts (but only on the right hand side): hell of check

i am ready to war now

Railtus
Apr 8, 2011

daz nu bi unseren tagen

HEY GAL posted:

giant murder knives have a completely different symbolic weight to them. the pope's skullcap and a yarmulke are exactly the same shape but they are not the same thing because they mean something different

nobody is trying to disarm the populace, this is a populace that will happily kill one another with kitchen knives and pieces of old furniture if they don't have anything else. they are trying to make sure members of one social order do not wear the attributes symbolically appropriate to members of another social order

edit: this is a society where every time anyone writes they have a tiny, wickedly sharp knife on the table next to them to sharpen the pen. it is not difficult to find "something to kill someone else with" in early modern europe. but that's not the same thing as "a weapon."

In many ways it seems like more of a sumptuary law than arms control in the conventional sense.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

HEY GAL posted:

Sword control was a huge thing.

Post that English guy complaining about all the Italian rapiers coming over here and stealing honest English sword's jobs :qq:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

HEY GAL posted:

huge sleeves held together with tiny ribbons: check
sword: check
dagger: check
pike: check
booty shorts (but only on the right hand side): hell of check

i am ready to war now

I've always taken your love affair with your subjects' dress as simply a symptom of the usual enthusiasm for one's subject, but this picture has won me over. Your people were the best dressed people in the history of clothes.

It's the half pants/half short-shorts that did it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've always taken your love affair with your subjects' dress as simply a symptom of the usual enthusiasm for one's subject, but this picture has won me over. Your people were the best dressed people in the history of clothes.

one of the things about europe until the middle/end of the 18th century (not really sure when this changed, only that it had changed by the early 19th century) is that they don't believe men are the sexually proactive sex and women's sexuality is passive/reactive. For them, women have stronger sexual appetites than men.

A side effect of this is that in this society, men are also sex objects, to be looked at and lusted after. Which sketches like this make quite plain. Imagine what that guy looks like from the front. :wink:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

It looks like a character from one of the weirder final fantasy games. Just a few more belts and we're there.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

HEY GAL posted:

one of the things about europe until the middle/end of the 18th century (not really sure when this changed, only that it had changed by the early 19th century) is that they don't believe men are the sexually proactive sex and women's sexuality is passive/reactive. For them, women have stronger sexual appetites than men.

Could you expand on this? I don't think I've heard this before and it sounds like a fascinating topic

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

CainsDescendant posted:

Could you expand on this? I don't think I've heard this before and it sounds like a fascinating topic
OK, so in this culture women and men are not fundamentally different like the 19th and most of the 20th centuries thought of them: "opposite" sexes. (Some of us still think this and some of us do not! We are in a transitional age and three hundred years later someone will be writing books on how the 19th/20th century western european/american idea of gender turned into something else! history is cool)

There are opposite gender roles, and those are more important than biological sex since these people love order and hierarchy and are terrified of anything that might threaten that, but beneath those there is one biological sex and that is male. The vagina is an inside-out penis, the uterus is a ballsack on the inside, and the ovaries are balls, just again on the inside. Or the penis is an inside-out vagina and the balls are ovaries on the outside, etc. And like men, women have to release seed to produce a child: conception doesn't happen unless both partners come, preferably simultaneously. (Even then it might not work, of course.)

(They happened to be correct in the "female seed" area, although wrong about how it was released, but that was by accident--nobody saw an animal egg until 1827 and nobody saw a human egg until the 1920s. Both this idea and the idea that came after it, that our sexuality is passive and men's sexuality is active, are taking place in a very dark area, observationally speaking.)

However, women are an inferior version of men. Our seed has less of the element of air in it because it is less purified by vital heat. (Many of the human body's fluids are made by our vital heat from blood, like how we distill various fuels from crude oil. The progression goes blood-->breast milk-->female sperm-->male sperm. This is separate from the four-humors thing, all of these are being made out of blood, which is one of the humors.) It's less good seed. We have less vital heat, less reasoning power, we are shorter and weaker, etc.

So we are less able to oppose the demands of our physical nature with reason. We're more lustful, and more easily tempted by, for instance, a nice Landsknecht rear end in a pair of truly ridiculous pants.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 25, 2016

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I absolutely guarantee people saw animal eggs long before that. Just not mammal ones.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i said my piece and i'm sticking with it

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

HEY GAL posted:

And like men, women have to release seed to produce a child: conception doesn't happen unless both partners come, preferably simultaneously. (Even then it might not work, of course.)

What was their take on pregnancy as a result of rape? Was there an accepted mechanism for conception if the woman didn't orgasm, or was a pregnancy considered evidence that the woman was actually into it, so it wasn't rape in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

What was their take on pregnancy as a result of rape? Was there an accepted mechanism for conception if the woman didn't orgasm, or was a pregnancy considered evidence that the woman was actually into it, so it wasn't rape in the first place?
hahahahaaaaaaaa

guess

• Locked thread