Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

cook serve dredmor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Internet Kraken posted:

The Delicious Dungeon™

Stick a Fork in It, It's Dungeon!

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

God drat it :allears:

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I was going to make TorsoQuest, the tale of a hungry torso! for the 7DRL but CSD the roguelike blows that out of the water. I need to go back to the drawing board

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

jesus christ

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

The Delicious Dungeon™

Dice, Dine, Dungeon

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

:eyepop: FUUUUUCK

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

alarumklok posted:

I was going to make TorsoQuest, the tale of a hungry torso! for the 7DRL but CSD the roguelike blows that out of the water. I need to go back to the drawing board
How would that work?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

:vince:

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

How would that work?

You'd be a crawling lovely torso, and you could steal body parts and a head from monsters and permanently affix them to yourself, which would give you stats and abilities. Matching parts would give you fancier stuff, so you'd have to balance being lovely with getting the right parts

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

alarumklok posted:

You'd be a crawling lovely torso, and you could steal body parts and a head from monsters and permanently affix them to yourself, which would give you stats and abilities. Matching parts would give you fancier stuff, so you'd have to balance being lovely with getting the right parts

so an ivan cogmind hybrid?

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

pretty much. that's why I said I need to go back to the drawing board, mashing two things together with a diablo joke isn't exactly creative genius

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

someone better loving make that CSD roguelike because I will be pissed now if I can't play it in March

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
somebody make a roguelike where most of being a big scarymans is threats and bluster and if conflict actually escalates to poking one another with knives you will die of peritonitis after several agonizing days to weeks.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
REXPaint is a pretty sweet way to brainstorm 7DRL ideas. Here's one I probably won't do because of scale:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

mother of god

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am curious how it would display Ocelot twirling his guns.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

My initial thought was to make a procedurally generated kitchen that started at like hot-dog-stand size and got larger and more complicated/ridiculous as you beat levels

sounds good, just make sure you include a vent hood item and have a social media minigame where you win by spouting off nonsensical bigotry

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

Scalding Coffee posted:

I am curious how it would display Ocelot twirling his guns.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Snake, he's reading your numpad inputs. You'll have to use the VI keys!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Sacrificial Toast posted:

"You like Dwarf Fortress, don't you?"

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I think that whatever you cook well is sold for "loot" but you have to eat mistakes.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

DeathBySpoon posted:

REXPaint is a pretty sweet way to brainstorm 7DRL ideas. Here's one I probably won't do because of scale:

Gonna write a program to search for a total stealth path through a level.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Honestly this makes about infinity% more sense than most roguelike shopkeepers.
Clearly if actual adventurers make it you have to feed them well enough that they're satisfied and leave but not well enough that they actually get a benefit from it. Can you poison them subtly enough that they don't realize it was you?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Awesome! posted:

so you want to make cook serve delicious: the roguelike?

Basically, yes.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

The Codec number for Meryl is at the end of the manual.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I'm going to data-mine Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management to get recipes and NPC data for this.

Here's the book, it's ridiculous: http://mrsbeeton.com

This is going to be the final boss:

quote:

BILL OF FARE FOR A PICNIC FOR 40 PERSONS.
2149. A joint of cold roast beef, a joint of cold boiled beef, 2 ribs of lamb, 2 shoulders of lamb, 4 roast fowls, 2 roast ducks, 1 ham, 1 tongue, 2 veal-and-ham pies, 2 pigeon pies, 6 medium-sized lobsters, 1 piece of collared calf’s head, 18 lettuces, 6 baskets of salad, 6 cucumbers.

2150. Stewed fruit well sweetened, and put into glass bottles well corked; 3 or 4 dozen plain pastry biscuits to eat with the stewed fruit, 2 dozen fruit turnovers, 4 dozen cheesecakes, 2 cold cabinet puddings in moulds, 2 blancmanges in moulds, a few jam puffs, 1 large cold plum-pudding (this must be good), a few baskets of fresh fruit, 3 dozen plain biscuits, a piece of cheese, 6 lbs. of butter (this, of course, includes the butter for tea), 4 quartern loaves of household broad, 3 dozen rolls, 6 loaves of tin bread (for tea), 2 plain plum cakes, 2 pound cakes, 2 sponge cakes, a tin of mixed biscuits, 1/2 lb, of tea. Coffee is not suitable for a picnic, being difficult to make.

Things not to be forgotten at a Picnic.

2151. A stick of horseradish, a bottle of mint-sauce well corked, a bottle of salad dressing, a bottle of vinegar, made mustard, pepper, salt, good oil, and pounded sugar. If it can be managed, take a little ice. It is scarcely necessary to say that plates, tumblers, wine-glasses, knives, forks, and spoons, must not be forgotten; as also teacups and saucers, 3 or 4 teapots, some lump sugar, and milk, if this last-named article cannot be obtained in the neighbourhood. Take 3 corkscrews.

2152. Beverages.—3 dozen quart bottles of ale, packed in hampers; ginger-beer, soda-water, and lemonade, of each 2 dozen bottles; 6 bottles of sherry, 6 bottles of claret, champagne discrtion, and any other light wine that may be preferred, and 2 bottles of brandy. Water can usually be obtained so it is useless to take it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Silver Snail posted:

For the cooking roguelike, you could have it set in a fairly normal kitchen/restaurant setting, but have a layer of abstraction to it. The parts where you control your chef are all normal kitchen management simulation type things, choosing ingredients, taking orders, things like that. But then the cooking part of the game becomes the more rouge-like section. Your skillet becomes a battle arena and your cooking utensil is your @. The type of dish you're making and the ingredients you choose determine what kind of enemies you fight, and using spices can be like helpful skills, or enemy buffing difficulty modifiers that improve the quality of the finished meal. Soften up that beef with some tenderizer powder, or use some cayenne to give that omelette some pep, but look out because now your spatula is getting shot to poo poo by +2 fireballs.

why is this literally not a game

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I'm going to data-mine Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management to get recipes and NPC data for this.

best of luck to you on this endeavor

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

All descriptions of any enemy more complicated than basic ingredients should be the full recipe, which also gives hints to their strengths and weaknesses.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

NPC AI info for the footmen:

quote:

2171. Where a single footman, or odd man, is the only male servant, then, whatever his ostensible position, he is required to make himself generally useful. He has to clean the knives and shoes, the furniture, the plate; answer the visitors who call, the drawing-room and parlour bells; and do all the errands. His life is no sinecure; and a methodical arrangement of his time will be necessary, in order to perform his many duties with any satisfaction to himself or his master.

2172. The footman only finds himself in stockings, shoes, and washing. Where silk stockings, or other extra articles of linen are worn, they are found by the family, as well as his livery, a working dress, consisting of a pair of overalls, a waistcoat, a fustian jacket, with a white or jean one for times when he is liable to be called to answer the door or wait at breakfast; and, on quitting his service, he is expected to leave behind him any livery had within six months.

2173. The footman is expected to rise early, in order to get through all his dirty work before the family are stirring. Boots and shoes, and knives and forks, should be cleaned, lamps in use trimmed, his master’s clothes brushed, the furniture rubbed over; so that he may put aside his working dress, tidy himself, and appear in a clean jean jacket to lay the cloth and prepare breakfast for the family.

2174. We need hardly dwell on the boot-cleaning process: three good brushes and good blacking must be provided; one of the brushes hard, to brush off the mud; the other soft, to lay on the blacking; the third of a medium hardness, for polishing; and each should be kept for its particular use. The blacking should be kept corked up, except when in use, and applied to the brush with a sponge tied to a stick, which, when put away, rests in a notch cut in the cork. When boots come in very muddy, it is a good practice to wash off the mud, and wipe them dry with a sponge; then leave them to dry very gradually on their sides, taking care they are not placed near the fire, or scorched. Much delicacy of treatment is required in cleaning ladies’ boots, so as to make the leather look well-polished, and the upper part retain a fresh appearance, with the lining free from hand-marks, which are very offensive to a lady of refined tastes.

2175. Patent leather boots require to be wiped with a wet sponge, and afterwards with a soft dry cloth, and occasionally with a soft cloth and sweet oil, blacking and polishing the edge of the soles in the usual way, but so as not to cover the patent polish with blacking. A little milk may also be used with very good effect for patent leather boots.

2176. Top boots are still occasionally worn by gentlemen. While cleaning the lower part in the usual manner, protect the tops, by inserting a cloth or brown paper under the edges and bringing it over them. In cleaning the tops, let the covering fall down over the boot; wash the tops clean with soap and flannel, and rub out any spots with pumice-stone. If the tops are to be whiter, dissolve an ounce of oxalic acid and half an ounce of pumice-stone in a pint of soft water; if a brown colour is intended, mix an ounce of muriatic acid, half an ounce of alum, half an ounce of gum Arabic, and half an ounce of spirit of lavender, in a pint and a half of skimmed milk “turned.” These mixtures apply by means of a sponge, and polish, when dry, with a rubber made of soft flannel.

2177. Knives are now generally cleaned by means of Kent’s or Masters’s machine, which gives very little trouble, and is very effective; before, however, putting the knives into the machine, it is highly necessary that they be first washed in a little warm (not hot) water, and then thoroughly wiped: if put into the machine with any grease on them, it adheres to the brushes, and consequently renders them unfit to use for the next knives that may be put in. When this precaution is not taken, the machine must come to pieces, so causing an immense amount of trouble, which may all be avoided by having the knives thoroughly free from grease before using the machine. Brushes are also used for cleaning forks, which facilitate the operation. When knives are so cleaned, see that they are carefully polished, wiped, and with a good edge, the ferules and prongs free from dirt, and place them in the basket with the handles all one way.

2178. Lamp-trimming requires a thorough acquaintance with the mechanism; after that, constant attention to cleanliness, and an occasional entire clearing out with hot water: when this is done, all the parts should be carefully dried before filling again with oil. When lacquered, wipe the lacquered parts with a soft brush and cloth, and wash occasionally with weak soapsuds, wiping carefully afterwards. Brass lamps may be cleaned with oil and rottenstone every day when trimmed. With bronze, and other ornamental lamps, more care will be required, and soft flannel and oil only used, to prevent the removal of the bronze or enamel. Brass-work, or any metal-work not lacquered, is cleaned by a little oil and rottenstone made into a paste, or with fine emery-powder and oil mixed in the same manner. A small portion of sal ammoniac, beat into a fine powder and moistened with soft water, rubbed over brass ornaments, and heated over a charcoal fire, and rubbed dry with bran or whitening, will give to brass-work the brilliancy of gold. In trimming moderator lamps, let the wick be cut evenly all round; as, if left higher in one place than it is in another, it will cause it to smoke and burn badly. The lamp should then be filled with oil from a feeder, and afterwards well wiped with a cloth or rag kept for the purpose. If it can be avoided, never wash the chimneys of a lamp, as it causes them to crack when they become hot. Small sticks, covered with wash-leather pads, are the best things to use for cleaning the glasses inside, and a clean duster for polishing the outside. The globe of a moderator lamp should be occasionally washed in warm soap-and-water, then well rinsed in cold water, and either wiped dry or left to drain. Where candle-lamps are used, take out the springs occasionally, and free them well from the grease that adheres to them.

2179. French polish, so universally applied to furniture, is easily kept in condition by dusting and rubbing with a soft cloth, or a rubber of old silk; but dining-tables can only be kept in order by hard rubbing, or rather by quick rubbing, which warms the wood and removes all spots.

2180. Brushing clothes is a very simple but very necessary operation. Fine cloths require to be brushed lightly, and with rather a soft brush, except where mud is to be removed, when a hard one is necessary, being previously beaten lightly to dislodge the dirt. Lay the garment on a table, and brush it in the direction of the nap. Having brushed it properly, turn the sleeves back to the collar, so that the folds may come at the elbow-joints; next turn the lappels or sides back over the folded sleeves; then lay the skirts over level with the collar, so that the crease may fall about the centre, and double one half over the other, so as the fold comes in the centre of the back.

2181. Having got through his dirty work, the single footman has now to clean himself and prepare the breakfast. He lays the cloth on the table; over it the breakfast-cloth, and sets the breakfast things in order, and then proceeds to wait upon his master, if he has any of the duties of a valet to perform.

2182. Where a valet is not kept, a portion of his duties falls to the footman’s share,—brushing the clothes among others. When the hat is silk, it requires brushing every day with a soft brush; after rain, it requires wiping the way of the nap before drying, and, when nearly dry, brushing with the soft brush and with the hat-stick in it. If the footman is required to perform any part of a valet’s duties, he will have to see that the housemaid lights a fire in the dressing-room in due time; that the room is dusted and cleaned; that the washhand-ewer is filled with soft water; and that the bath, whether hot or cold, is ready when required; that towels are at hand; that hair-brushes and combs are properly cleansed, and in their places; that hot water is ready at the hour ordered; the dressing-gown and slippers in their place, the clean linen aired, and the clothes to be worn for the day in their proper places. After the master has dressed, it will be the footman’s duty to restore everything to its place properly cleansed and dry, and the whole restored to order.

2183. At breakfast, when there is no butler, the footman carries up the tea-urn, and, assisted by the housemaid, he waits during breakfast. Breakfast over, he removes the tray and other things off the table, folds up the breakfast-cloth, and sets the room in order, by sweeping up all crumbs, shaking the cloth, and laying it on the table again, making up the fire, and sweeping up the hearth.

2184. At luncheon-time nearly the same routine is observed, except where the footman is either out with the carriage or away on other business, when, in the absence of any butler, the housemaid must assist.

2185. For dinner, the footman lays the cloth, taking care that the table is not too near the fire, if there is one, and that passage-room is left. A tablecloth should be laid without a wrinkle; and this requires two persons: over this the slips are laid, which are usually removed preparatory to placing dessert on the table. He prepares knives, forks, and glasses, with five or six plates for each person. This done, he places chairs enough for the party, distributing them equally on each side of the table, and opposite to each a napkin neatly folded, within it a piece of bread or small roll, and a knife on the right side of each plate, a fork on the left, and a carving-knife and fork at the top and bottom of the table, outside the others, with the rests opposite to them, and a gravy-spoon beside the knife. The fish-slice should be at the top, where the lady of the house, with the assistance of the gentleman next to her, divides the fish, and the soup-ladle at the bottom: it is sometimes usual to add a dessert-knife and fork; at the same time, on the right side also of each plate, put a wine-glass for as many kinds of wine as it is intended to hand round, and a finger-glass or glass-cooler about four inches from the edge. The latter are frequently put on the table with the dessert.

2186. About half an hour before dinner, he rings the dinner-bell, where that is the practice, and occupies himself with carrying up everything he is likely to require. At the expiration of the time, having communicated with the cook, he rings the real dinner-bell, and proceeds to take it up with such assistance as he can obtain. Having ascertained that all is in order, that his own dress is clean and presentable, and his white cotton gloves are without a stain, he announces in the drawing-room that dinner is served, and stands respectfully by the door until the company are seated: he places himself on the left, behind his master, who is to distribute the soup; where soup and fish are served together, his place will be at his mistress’s left hand; but he must be on the alert to see that whoever is assisting him, whether male or female, are at their posts. If any of the guests has brought his own servant with him, his place is behind his master’s chair, rendering such assistance to others as he can, while attending to his master’s wants throughout the dinner, so that every guest has what he requires. This necessitates both activity and intelligence, and should be done without bustle, without asking any questions, except where it is the custom of the house to hand round dishes or wine, when it will be necessary to mention, in a quiet and unobtrusive manner, the dish or wine you present.

2187. Salt-cellars should be placed on the table in number sufficient for the guests, so that each may help themselves, or, at least, their immediate neighbours.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I've seen people mention Flamebreak, it seems kinda weak it mentions 100+ items but looking at a few lps I've only seen set bonus items. What is the deal?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Geokinesis posted:

I've seen people mention Flamebreak, it seems kinda weak it mentions 100+ items but looking at a few lps I've only seen set bonus items. What is the deal?

It's about the gameplay, not so much the items. Or well that's not entirely true, the sets/items matter based on the random build you get.

It's a fun game, try it!

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

victrix posted:

It's about the gameplay, not so much the items. Or well that's not entirely true, the sets/items matter based on the random build you get.

It's a fun game, try it!

Could you give any examples of some fancy items and synergies?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Geokinesis posted:

Could you give any examples of some fancy items and synergies?

Here's one: One of the random weapons you can start with (after unlocking it as an option with the metagame progression) is the shield. You can throw it like a boomerang to pierce multiple enemies, and if you're not throwing it it can block one attack every 8/6/4 seconds as you level it up on your character. There's also a set 3 items that make the Stormguard armor, which blocks the damage from one attack every 11 seconds. And there's a god who gives you a scaling power bonus for each room you clear while staying at full health. Combine those three and you have a hard-hitting near-invincible guy, assuming you can dodge well enough not to get hit more than twice per 10ish seconds.

There are also some fun active items, like the Hand of the Lich which has a 6 second cooldown itself and resets the cooldown of the last ability you used before it. Combine this with the Lich race, who get a racial power that does a similar (but stronger) thing, and the Echo Spark set, which gives a chance to reset all of your cooldowns every time you use an ability. Suddenly you're mashing all of your buttons as fast as you can and they're magically never on cooldown. For bonus fun points, you can combine this with the Elixir of Contemplation, which gives a huge damage bonus to your spells but increases the cooldowns to compensate.

A lot of the items are simpler though: stuff like "-20% ability cooldowns" or "+20 damage and attack speed".

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Here's one: One of the random weapons you can start with (after unlocking it as an option with the metagame progression) is the shield. You can throw it like a boomerang to pierce multiple enemies, and if you're not throwing it it can block one attack every 8/6/4 seconds as you level it up on your character. There's also a set 3 items that make the Stormguard armor, which blocks the damage from one attack every 11 seconds. And there's a god who gives you a scaling power bonus for each room you clear while staying at full health. Combine those three and you have a hard-hitting near-invincible guy, assuming you can dodge well enough not to get hit more than twice per 10ish seconds.

There are also some fun active items, like the Hand of the Lich which has a 6 second cooldown itself and resets the cooldown of the last ability you used before it. Combine this with the Lich race, who get a racial power that does a similar (but stronger) thing, and the Echo Spark set, which gives a chance to reset all of your cooldowns every time you use an ability. Suddenly you're mashing all of your buttons as fast as you can and they're magically never on cooldown. For bonus fun points, you can combine this with the Elixir of Contemplation, which gives a huge damage bonus to your spells but increases the cooldowns to compensate.

A lot of the items are simpler though: stuff like "-20% ability cooldowns" or "+20 damage and attack speed".

Lich + Turret is basically an instant win. Add in hand of the lich and it becomes a shitshow.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

drink_bleach posted:

Lich + Turret is basically an instant win. Add in hand of the lich and it becomes a shitshow.

Don't forget the shadowclone set. Yes, I would love to place 6 turrets at a time.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

This is so good.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
After seeing several positive things about Deathstate I've decided to buy it. After putting in several hours I've finished the game as several characters and I have to say it's not a very good game. The atmosphere and the music is pretty good but that's about it. Player movement leaves a lot to be desired, combined with super narrow levels after the first one make it very frustrating to play smoothly. This game is supposed to be more bullet hell-y than the likes of Isaac and it is but in a bad way. The cramped levels in later areas are chock full of enemies and most if not every single of them is constantly spewing projectiles your way so playing on Desecration is virtually impossible. Desecration is kind of hard mode that has 3 tiers with Desecration 3 being the craziest bullshit.

So as a perfectly logical being I went and bought another bullet hell-y roguelite, Starward Rogue.

Despite being pretty skeptical about Arcen pulling it off, I've conclued very fast that it luckily a pretty fun game! You can choose from 6 mechs who have different stats and some of them also start with some weapons or special skills that makes them unique. From the description one of the mechs literally turns the game SUPERHOT. For the uninitiated, SUPERHOT is a FPS where time flows only when you move. I haven't tried it yet so I can't confirm whether that's actually the case but seems like it.

Anyway. Each mech has 4 slots, primary weapon with infinite ammo, secondary energy weapon with limited usage that refills upon entering a new room, limited ammo weapon like a rocket launcher that functions like bombs in Binding of Isaac for breaking stuff/killing enemies in emergency and lastly a consumable slot. Apart from that you can find drops that just upgrade or modify your mech without being restricted to slot.

The whole game (of what I've seen so far) has 5 floors, each floor is very Isaac-like with shops, miniboss rooms, secret rooms and floor boss. You also gain experience, upon leveling up you can choose a perk like becoming the Keymaster and getting 100 keys, seeing the non-special and later special rooms automatically on map or learning you gottagofast. Yes, game actually has sprint button for traversing long distances AND for use in boss fights. Some of them like the Hunter miniboss will actively chase you at higher-than-normal speed so you gotta put those mech legs to work.

The enemies use bullet hell patterns but on normal they are mostly avoidable even for someone like me who doesn't play typical bullet hell games like the Touhou games. Well, at least not until you increase the difficulty and/or get to the very end. The difficulties alter enemy and boss patterns, among other things, which is really cool way to do difficulty tiers in general.

Overall, the game has pretty bitching soundtrack even if it can get a bit repetitive during a longer session and solid gameplay with plenty to do on each floor and bosses that don't feel like copypasta of each other so if you're tired of BoI or Nuclear Throne it's a good choice of a time-waster.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Trackball.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

lol if you can't play roguelikes just with your thumb buttons on your mouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

:shittypop: