Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Source

quote:

Square Enix announced today that the next Active Time Report livestream will take place this coming Saturday, January 30. Game director Hajime Tabata and marketing director Akio Ofuji will appear during the event, during which they will "showcase the latest battle footage and scenes of magic."

This Active Time Report will also "provide updates" on another event in March where Square Enix is expected to finally announce the long-in-development role-playing game's release date. The game is officially due out sometime in 2016, possibly this summer.

January's Active Time Report broadcast will be streamed live through Square Enix's YouTube page starting at 8 PM PST/11 PM EST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I love how hinting at the announcement of the announcement of the possible release is a thing.

Wait no

I wish games would get announced two weeks before they come out.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Armitage posted:

It's mainly the undead ghost guy, and sometimes horse(they show up rarely, but when they do, RUN. Not worth fighting the undead in FFXII), and Baknamy. The Baknamies(Baknamii?) pretty much always do a combo that only ends if you, or it, dies.

The ghost guy is called Oversoul, I believe. You can use the Nihothingie accessory and use a remedy on it, but if you don't get it off before it does an action, you better run.

I loved the Necrohol of Nabudis visually, but I always ended up just running straight through it until enemies tethered off me.

I remember spending two hours just fighting monsters in the swamp area thinking that surely this is the best way to level myself up...

...when is FF12 HD coming out again? It has to come out, I need it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Still not a single review for Explorers? I keep looking at all the sites I follow and nothing. It's really sounding drat fishy by now. Either S-E put a huge ban on reviews everywhere or everyone including obscure sites I follow that review every RPG ever are ignoring this one pretty badly. I don't know what's worse.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's time to accept that Final Fantasy Explorers is a terrible game nobody should buy. Use the money to buy a second copy of Theatrhythm instead.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

But I wanna believe...!

Though that money would be better used to buy Trails of Cold Steel, which is a kickass JRPG that just came out.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's so many games coming out in the next couple of weeks, FF Explorers should not be a buy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Augus posted:

XIV looks really boring to play like every MMO
Feel free to convince me otherwise if you want.

Nah it's not the same as every other MMO

It's way slower :v:

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

ff4ds looks like garbage. i suggest playing ff4 complete collection on psp if you have the means. it has character switching like gba but is also gorgeous.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The gameplay balancing changes in the DS version improved* FFIV so much that I can't imagine playing any other version.

*gently caress those fire dogs in Tower of Zot though

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

FF DS is the most repayable and engaging (the limited NG+ is stupid beyond belief but hey), but it's explicitly designed for people who have played the million versions of FF4 before and want something different, IMO it shouldn't be the only version available on PC, especially with Square kind of sort of pretending there's no 2D alternative by remaking TAY.

I mean in every case I'd rather the PSP version or a similar remake over the craptasctic phone ports but for IV I have more of a reason than "graphics bad, gently caress mobile gaming :corsair:" :v:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I CAN'T loving BELIEVE FFXV IS COMING OUT SOOOON AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :kingsley: The best part is that we still know next to nothing about the game, and I love that.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Did we get a release date!?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

No, just an event on the 30th which may announce a release date. Game is said to come out this year and all.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Gologle posted:

I CAN'T loving BELIEVE FFXV IS COMING OUT SOOOON AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :kingsley: The best part is that we still know next to nothing about the game, and I love that.

Now that is nonsense. We know it's about a boy band going around the world, and that suspiciously dressed mechanic is Cid as a female.

Fake Edit: Also I think the main boy has daddy issues? Still. That's more than next to nothing, I'd say.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I recommend everyone keep their expectations in check.

By which I mean FFXV will be a so bad it melts the system you try to play the game on.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

If you have no friends, XIV is not a game for you. Obviously.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

That's not true, I like XIV

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

voltcatfish posted:

There wouldn't be three goon guilds if that were so.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

I recommend everyone keep their expectations in check.

By which I mean FFXV will be a so bad it melts the system you try to play the game on.

Well, even if FF XV is bad I think it'll at least be an interesting failure. I can't imagine it'll be so bad there won't be some redeeming things about it though.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

No, just an event on the 30th which may announce a release date. Game is said to come out this year and all.

No, the release date's release date is in March.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

:shrug: My enjoyment of FFXIV went down several notches when I stopped playing with friends. I mean you could consider goons friends if you wanted.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Final Fantasy Megathread: The release date's release date is in March

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The announcement is that FF XVI is coming out before FF XV.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So I've played a bit of FFEx and I understand that people's problem is with it (and it is a significant one.)

It isn't really a Monster Hunter clone. It wants to be it is far far more comparable to a beat 'em up. An old school beat 'em up. It's very simple, it's more about chaining kills together than twitch gameplay, and in general it's not very good at replicating the Monster Hunter feel at all. It feels more like I'm playing River City Ransom than Monster Hunter.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

That sounds kinda lacking for a 3DS game. Is it at least some mindless fun if you find it cheap somewhere?

Oh, and what's this about a 3D FF1 remake? Preorder bonus in Japan or part of the game?

E:

ImpAtom posted:

It's just a preorder bonus in Japan.

Boo. Oh well, unless it makes some radical changes there's not much to be had from playing 1 again.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 26, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

That sounds kinda lacking for a 3DS game. Is it at least some mindless fun if you find it cheap somewhere?

Oh, and what's this about a 3D FF1 remake? Preorder bonus in Japan or part of the game?

It's kind of mindless fun as I am so far. I'm playing a Monk and so my skill setup is basically "hit things really hard" "boost my damage" "a counter move where timing it does a lot of damage" and "a backstep that replenishes AP" and it's pretty fun to just chain-stomp my way through enemies. I've only fought a couple of big enemies but they've been pretty mediocre fights. It'd be better if I was doing the 4-player co-op. It really really is a poor Monster Hunter game unless it improves a lot from where I am though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

widespread posted:

Also I think the main boy has daddy issues?

Tidus and Noctis need to hang out in the Dissidia-verse.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

It's kind of mindless fun as I am so far. I'm playing a Monk and so my skill setup is basically "hit things really hard" "boost my damage" "a counter move where timing it does a lot of damage" and "a backstep that replenishes AP" and it's pretty fun to just chain-stomp my way through enemies. I've only fought a couple of big enemies but they've been pretty mediocre fights. It'd be better if I was doing the 4-player co-op. It really really is a poor Monster Hunter game unless it improves a lot from where I am though.

Not being a big MonHun fan that actually sounds a lot better to me.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

widespread posted:

Also I think the main boy has daddy issues? Still. That's more than next to nothing, I'd say.

If that one trailer was anything to go by, I think it was called Dusk or Dawn or something, Regis is actually a cool dad with a functional relationship with Noctis.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Butt Ghost posted:

Did we get a release date!?

The development team said it would probably be this year and more information about the release would come in March 2016. Mass Effect Andromeda, GoTY editions of last year's RPGs, and potentially Dead Island 2 could be releasing around the holidays. I'm thinking a September date would get help it avoid the usual November bloodbath.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Well, even if FF XV is bad I think it'll at least be an interesting failure. I can't imagine it'll be so bad there won't be some redeeming things about it though.

Games that take this long and undergo so much staff churn usually don't stick the landing. I'm sure the new development team is doing their best given the circumstances but they sure inherited a Vietnam War of a game. We even had a leader who eventually resigned in disgrace and got pardoned by his #2.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

(Most of the games do stand better if you do low-level challenges natch.)

I never understood this mentality. One of the best things, to me anyway, in an RPG is going from some schmuck at Level 1 with a Rusty Sword and a Fire spell that can barely singe something to a Level 99 badass wielding the Ancient Blade of Awesome and throwing around spells that can blow up the planet.

Seriously though, the game gave you all this cool stuff, why gimp yourself? I'd much rather just find a hack or mod that increases difficulty. That way I'm expected to use everything at my disposal just to survive. I never understood the full depths of FFVIII's mechanics until a mod made me realize there was a lot more to it than just slapping Curaga on your HP and destroying everything.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah but I'm under the impression that only the characters from Versus XIII are the same and everything else about XV is brand new. Could be wrong on that though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The game is probably going to hit in Fall and beyond the obvious release date we'll probably get some collector's edition info too and whatnot. I'm looking forward to FFXV though.

NikkolasKing posted:

I never understood this mentality. One of the best things, to me anyway, in an RPG is going from some schmuck at Level 1 with a Rusty Sword and a Fire spell that can barely singe something to a Level 99 badass wielding the Ancient Blade of Awesome and throwing around spells that can blow up the planet.

Seriously though, the game gave you all this cool stuff, why gimp yourself? I'd much rather just find a hack or mod that increases difficulty. Thatway I'm expected to use everything at my disposal just to survive. I never understood FFVIII's battle system until a mod made me realize there was a lot more to it than just slapping Curaga on your HP and destroying everything.

Because sometimes it's interesting to play according to your own limitations you set for yourself and not ones the game sets for you. Self-imposed challenges can lead to a better appreciation for a game or at least a different way to look at it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Seriously though, the game gave you all this cool stuff, why gimp yourself? I'd much rather just find a hack or mod that increases difficulty. That way I'm expected to use everything at my disposal just to survive. I never understood the full depths of FFVIII's mechanics until a mod made me realize there was a lot more to it than just slapping Curaga on your HP and destroying everything.

Because finishing every fight in one attack because you're hilarious is way more boring than getting by the skin of your teeth. A lot of abilities you think are worthless actually are a lot more meaningful when you can't just damage race things. Mods that increase the difficulty rarely do a good job and usually tend to exacerbate flaws rather than show hidden strengths, at least in my experience. They tend to expect you to exploit already powerful mechanics instead of take full advantage of weaker abilities.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah but I'm under the impression that only the characters from Versus XIII are the same and everything else about XV is brand new. Could be wrong on that though.

The characters are the same in the sense that they have the same name and some similarities, but what we saw of Versus compared to XV seems to be pretty largely different especially since Versus itself never gave off the modern world mixed with fantasy kind of vibe that FFXV does, Versus' setting seemed to be a bit more futuristic similar to like FF7.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baal posted:

The characters are the same in the sense that they have the same name and some similarities, but what we saw of Versus compared to XV seems to be pretty largely different especially since Versus itself never gave off the modern world mixed with fantasy kind of vibe that FFXV does, Versus' setting seemed to be a bit more futuristic similar to like FF7.

Versus XIII was explicitly supposed to be in a modern setting with much less in the way of fantasy elements. I think they even discussed the idea the protagonists would be sent to another land which was more traditional-fantasy compared to FFXV where you have a sexy Cinemax mechanic out in the middle of the monster-wilderness.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm mostly remembering trailers where Versus XIII looked futuristic at least more beyond a modern setting, mind you FFXV kind of has that too still so it might be me misremembering.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Level Slide posted:

If that one trailer was anything to go by, I think it was called Dusk or Dawn or something, Regis is actually a cool dad with a functional relationship with Noctis.

Oh right. But there's bound to be a dad issue somewhere. Even if the dad issue here is just "He's not reaching dad-tier as he ages".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's called Final Fantasy XV