Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fergus
Apr 24, 2013
Hey guys, I'm going to be starting college soon and was interested in NROTC Marine option.
Do you guys have any material or pointers that could help me figure out what I need to do to be the best candidate I can be?
I intend to transfer from my community college with a 4.0, most likely will be doing Aeronautical engineering.
I also intend to get as close to a 300 on the PFT as I can by the time I transfer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Fergus posted:

Hey guys, I'm going to be starting college soon and was interested in NROTC Marine option.
Do you guys have any material or pointers that could help me figure out what I need to do to be the best candidate I can be?
I intend to transfer from my community college with a 4.0, most likely will be doing Aeronautical engineering.
I also intend to get as close to a 300 on the PFT as I can by the time I transfer.

You say you are going to be starting college soon but plan on transferring credits from a community college. Did you do one of those "earn college credit in high school" things or have you already got two years worth of school done at a community college and now intend to transfer for a four year school?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I think my age waiver was approved for OCC-R, which means I really need to start considering what kind of sweet tattoo I'm gonna get. I want something that'll show the sergeant instructors that I'm a motivated devil dog that won't take no guff from anyone, loves a good dip and can knock out transvestites with a single right hook.

Any ideas guys?

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

You say you are going to be starting college soon but plan on transferring credits from a community college. Did you do one of those "earn college credit in high school" things or have you already got two years worth of school done at a community college and now intend to transfer for a four year school?

I'm about to start my first semester of community college.
When I'm done here I want to transfer to either Berkeley which is a NROTC school or Davis which is a cross town affiliate.
I meant that after I get 60 credits at my community college I would then transfer to one of those schools.
Sorry for not specifying

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

MurderBot posted:

I think my age waiver was approved for OCC-R, which means I really need to start considering what kind of sweet tattoo I'm gonna get. I want something that'll show the sergeant instructors that I'm a motivated devil dog that won't take no guff from anyone, loves a good dip and can knock out transvestites with a single right hook.

Any ideas guys?

giant ega on your chest Smedley style

After the excitement of this combat, garrison duty again became routine. Butler had a very large Eagle, Globe, and Anchor tattoo made which started at his throat and extended to his waist. He also met Littleton Waller, a fellow Marine with whom he maintained a lifelong friendship. When Waller received command of a company in Guam, he was allowed to select five officers to take with him; he chose Butler. Before they had departed, their orders were changed and they were sent to China aboard the USS Solace to help put down the Boxer Rebellion.[10]

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

MurderBot posted:

Any ideas guys?

"no ragrats" across your forehead

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Fergus posted:

I'm about to start my first semester of community college.
When I'm done here I want to transfer to either Berkeley which is a NROTC school or Davis which is a cross town affiliate.
I meant that after I get 60 credits at my community college I would then transfer to one of those schools.
Sorry for not specifying

Contact your local Officer Selection Officer (OSO). Don't talk to a regular recruiter because they will just try to convince you to enlist. Ask about NROTC scholarships. If your grades are good enough to make you say you'll transfer from Community College with a 4.0, you should have no problems meeting the prerequisites.

Also look at the Platoon Leaders Course as an option if NROTC isn't.

Outside of that, go to school and get/stay in shape. You've got four years to pick up whatever knowledge you'll need and chances are you are going to change your mind before then anyway.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Two tattoo ideas:

The first one above shows that look, I'm gonna be in charge, you don't like it gunny IM A GOD drat 2LT YAUNDASTAND!?

But this second one is totally badass, I mean this dog's ready to unleash hell and shows no remorse for smoking indoors at a restaurant. The ultimate Tattoo I think

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Contact your local Officer Selection Officer (OSO). Don't talk to a regular recruiter because they will just try to convince you to enlist. Ask about NROTC scholarships. If your grades are good enough to make you say you'll transfer from Community College with a 4.0, you should have no problems meeting the prerequisites.

Also look at the Platoon Leaders Course as an option if NROTC isn't.

Outside of that, go to school and get/stay in shape. You've got four years to pick up whatever knowledge you'll need and chances are you are going to change your mind before then anyway.

Alright thanks for the help, man.
I'll keep at it.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

MurderBot posted:

Any ideas guys?

"Good Initiative, Bad Judgment"

Fergus posted:

Leadership position in a school club or community organization. (Not a militia)

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Reverand maynard posted:

giant ega on your chest Smedley style

After the excitement of this combat, garrison duty again became routine. Butler had a very large Eagle, Globe, and Anchor tattoo made which started at his throat and extended to his waist. He also met Littleton Waller, a fellow Marine with whom he maintained a lifelong friendship. When Waller received command of a company in Guam, he was allowed to select five officers to take with him; he chose Butler. Before they had departed, their orders were changed and they were sent to China aboard the USS Solace to help put down the Boxer Rebellion.[10]

Smedley Butler continues to be the very epitome of the finest Marine ever.

Chesty can suck his dick for all I care.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Thump! posted:

Smedley Butler continues to be the very epitome of the finest Marine ever.

Chesty can suck his dick for all I care.

how loving dare you

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

I kid I kid

but seriously, 2 MOH > 5 Navy Crosses

Still both way better Marines than I ever was

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Last I checked, NROTC scholarships are only for 4-year programs. Only the Army had abridged 2-year ROTC programs (maybe Air Force too).

But yeah recruiters get all sorts of hard when it comes to test scores. PFT, CFT, ASVAB, DLAB, GPA, all of those.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

Internet Wizard posted:

Last I checked, NROTC scholarships are only for 4-year programs. Only the Army had abridged 2-year ROTC programs (maybe Air Force too).

But yeah recruiters get all sorts of hard when it comes to test scores. PFT, CFT, ASVAB, DLAB, GPA, all of those.

Yeah I actually just saw that two year scholarships aren't available to Marine Option applicants.
That's really unfortunate.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Fergus posted:

Yeah I actually just saw that two year scholarships aren't available to Marine Option applicants.
That's really unfortunate.

There are other options, like the previously mentioned PLC. The earlier you start working with an OSO and putting together a plan the better. You don't want to be a few years in to your degree and having to improvise.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

Internet Wizard posted:

There are other options, like the previously mentioned PLC. The earlier you start working with an OSO and putting together a plan the better. You don't want to be a few years in to your degree and having to improvise.

That's very true. I'm going to go see an OSO tomorrow hopefully.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
or you could not join the marines

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

or you could not join the marines

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013
Well where's the fun in that

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Fergus posted:

Well where's the fun in that

pretty much in anything else you care to do

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

pretty much in anything else you care to do

You won't get rid of me that easily

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Fergus posted:

You won't get rid of me that easily

i will carry you, kicking and screaming, away from stupidity. and in the end, you will thank me

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

i will carry you, kicking and screaming, away from stupidity. and in the end, you will thank me

Oo can we get ice cream afterwards?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

easy tyler

Fergus posted:

Oo can we get ice cream afterwards?

you're retarded please enlist open contract for six years

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

you're retarded please enlist open contract for six years

That sounds adventurous

Edit: and calling me retarded for not having seen a movie seems far fetched
but I'll watch it and maybe I'll be cured

Fergus fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 26, 2016

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Fergus posted:

That sounds adventurous

Edit: and calling me retarded for not having seen a movie seems far fetched
but I'll watch it and maybe I'll be cured

hes calling you a retard because you are blowing off the best advice youve ever been given. that man was an armor officer, if some prior enlisted grunts word isnt enough for you then listen to him

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

It's like I told classmates when I was going through some joint-service schools whenever they'd tell me their "I almost joined the Marines but..." stories:

Any reason to not join the Marines is the right one.

Join the Army or Navy or Air Force or whatever if you just want to serve your country. You need to not have a single reason to do something other than join the Corps. The Corps is smaller than any other service, which really condenses both the good and bad parts of a military bureaucracy.

The military in general, and the Corps in particular, is the sort of organization where the people that shouldn't have been allowed to join in the first place stay in for as long as they can, and make the entire culture as hostile to those under them as they can to force out the sort of people that should stay in. You'll find some exceptions, but not enough. So many of the people that will be in charge of you will treat you like a moron because they were treated like a moron, so of course that's the proper way to treat people.

Go ahead and read books from the Commandant's Reading List, but also read books that will never make it onto the reading list. The recommended reading lists will have stuff like My Men Are My Heroes, the autobiography of Sgt Maj Kassul, but the list for junior enlisted also includes Message To Garcia, which argues for the sort of unquestioning obedience to even garrison orders that actively rots away at the Corps's core. Off-list books like One Bullet Away and Generation Kill will introduce you to the sort of institutional fart-sniffing that will plague your entire term of service.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Don't join the Army either, it pretty much sucks balls too. But hey you're not going to listen since nobody ever listens so please enlist for our sick pleasure.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013
I want to join the Marines because I want to be a Naval Aviator.
Now, I could do that in the Navy, too.
But from what I've heard about the Marines, you are an infantryman before anything else. This would imply learning certain skills that other branches don't, for the most part.
On top of being a Naval Aviator, I would like to learn the skills necessary to be an infantryman, I can't really explain why but it's something that is appealing to me.
The Marines is the only place (that I currently know of) where I could learn both.

I entirely get where you guys are coming from, I can't even begin to imagine the bureaucratic hell that the Marines is.
But the negatives, however many there are, seem worth what I would get out of it on a personal level.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Fergus posted:

I want to join the Marines because I want to be a Naval Aviator.
Now, I could do that in the Navy, too.
But from what I've heard about the Marines, you are an infantryman before anything else. This would imply learning certain skills that other branches don't, for the most part.
On top of being a Naval Aviator, I would like to learn the skills necessary to be an infantryman, I can't really explain why but it's something that is appealing to me.
The Marines is the only place (that I currently know of) where I could learn both.

I entirely get where you guys are coming from, I can't even begin to imagine the bureaucratic hell that the Marines is.
But the negatives, however many there are, seem worth what I would get out of it on a personal level.

holy loving lol

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

Yeah, it's autistic as gently caress but it's what I want

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Seriously. My brother was a Marine pilot, his advice to every kid that asks him about it is "Go Navy or Coast Guard. You get an extra hour of sleep and better food"

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Tell me something man: let's say the military just plain old isn't taking anybody. What would your plans for college and after that be?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Lol don't join you dumb sonuvabitch, it's a peace time military now. You're not gonna learn poo poo, you ain't gonna blow poo poo up, you're just gonna hate life for years picking up cigarette butts and poo poo and being told you loving suck, and you should just be a civilian and get rear end and poo poo and go into a profitable line of work.

There ain't no honor or glory or whatever the hell you're looking for, there's only a waste of your damned time and a breaking of your body for no purpose.

Be a civilian, smoke green, bang some bitches, and make bank.

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Tell me something man: let's say the military just plain old isn't taking anybody. What would your plans for college and after that be?

Completing college and getting my aerospace engineering degree.
Then probably finding a job in the aerospace industry.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Seriously. My brother was a Marine pilot, his advice to every kid that asks him about it is "Go Navy or Coast Guard. You get an extra hour of sleep and better food"

I could actually get a scholarship with Navy ROTC too, which would be really nice.
I don't know, I'm going to go so see an OSO for each branch before I decide anything, but I've been heavily leaning Marines.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Thump! posted:

Lol don't join you dumb sonuvabitch, it's a peace time military now. You're not gonna learn poo poo, you ain't gonna blow poo poo up, you're just gonna hate life for years picking up cigarette butts and poo poo and being told you loving suck, and you should just be a civilian and get rear end and poo poo and go into a profitable line of work.

There ain't no honor or glory or whatever the hell you're looking for, there's only a waste of your damned time and a breaking of your body for no purpose.

Be a civilian, smoke green, bang some bitches, and make bank.

lmbo officers dont do police call you dipshit

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Fergus posted:

Completing college and getting my aerospace engineering degree.
Then probably finding a job in the aerospace industry.

Get a 4.0 at community college then transfer to a decent state school to finish your BS. Spend your summers doing meaningful internships in your field instead of wasting it doing dumb split op training. Go to private school for post-grad and get a company to pay for it. Do not join the military. You will be much wealthier and happier ten years from now.

Nobody in corporate or industry gives a poo poo if you've seen combat or even served. Infantry skills are worthless in the civ world.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
also that every marine is a rifleman is a crock of horseshit. just cause you spent 2 weeks finger loving a rifle in boot or ocs or whatevr dont mean poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

lmbo officers dont do police call you dipshit

Fine, caviar call, whatever

• Locked thread