Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

lets hang out posted:

dang I was pretty comfortable with tits 3rd never getting translated right up until I got to the end of sc

Were you comfortable with tits SC never getting translated right up until you got to the end of FC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Supremezero posted:

Were you comfortable with tits SC never getting translated right up until you got to the end of FC?

i didn't play fc until like a few months before sc came out so it wasn't really a question, but even then it's different because the plot wrapped up with sc and 3rd sounds more like a fan disk. basically i didn't really care about the kevin game and then i saw his scene at the end of sc and now i'm thinking it would be cool to play the kevin game

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
If, I'm not mistaken, don't the main plot of Trails 3rd deals with more with the mysterious Grandmaster of Ouroborous and the Church? Which I'm going to assume now to be evil/corrupt, since this is a JRPG. Estelle and Joshua appears there, but their story is a subplot and it involves them (spoilers for SC and 3rd) tracking down and eventually adopting Renne :3:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

davidHalestorm posted:

If, I'm not mistaken, don't the main plot of Trails 3rd deals with more with the mysterious Grandmaster of Ouroborous and the Church? Which I'm going to assume now to be evil/corrupt, since this is a JRPG. Estelle and Joshua appears there, but their story is a subplot and it involves them (spoilers for SC and 3rd) tracking down and eventually adopting Renne :3:

The former is just one of the star door scenes, and actually that scene just got translated by the endless history folks last week. It's mostly about kevin with a bunch of side vignettes that flesh out the characters we know and setup the next arc. the R stuff is set up but paid off in Zero and Ao.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

davidHalestorm posted:

Actually, Ouroborous and co. don't even appear outside of doors, aside from Renne being around and the resident knight guy being Loewe (sort of).

And the church isn't evil and corrupt. You think we'd still have super good church people 3 games later if they were? There may be different specific people with different opinions on how to get poo poo done, however.

Also, if I remember right, the track down and forcibly adopt Renne plot doesn't actually start until Zero/the end of 3rd. I mean, they're trying to find Renne, but I don't think they wanted to adopt her yet.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
There's no way Cold Steel 3 is going to be on PS3, right?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Some Numbers posted:

All signs point to yes. It's been noted that Falcom really doesn't like changing systems (or engines, for that matter) in the middle of a series. PhyreEngine (which CS is made on) is PS4 compatible, so it's possible, but still probably unlikely. It's possible that it might also be on PS4, though.

At the very least, it's more or less guaranteed for Vita, though, I suppose, since they discussed how they worked out the problems with the Vita that were holding them back from improving the game more.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 25, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

I wouldn't say that really. Ys 8 is Ps4 and vita so it'll likely be the same, but they might throw in a ps3 version for continuity as well

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Well, now I'm getting my hopes up about a nigh-simultaneous release.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Don't. You'd be looking at 6 months at the earliest and that's probably unlikely as hell.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Some Numbers posted:

You mean east and west? Don't. XSEED's been fairly up front about the fact that Falcom doesn't let people touch their games til they're out.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Don't. You'd be looking at 6 months at the earliest and that's probably unlikely as hell.

Objectively I know that.

Supremezero posted:

You mean east and west? Don't. XSEED's been fairly up front about the fact that Falcom doesn't let people touch their games til they're out.

I didn't know that, but that makes a lot of sense.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Not merely "not touch", but not even a peek either. Meaning that CS3's release in Japan is when XSeed can START localizing it.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Erpy posted:

Not merely "not touch", but not even a peek either. Meaning that CS3's release in Japan is when XSeed can START localizing it.

XSEED: Just a little peek, this is the finale of Cold Steel, it must be amazi-
*Falcom slaps XSEED's hand*
Falcom: No! Bad touch!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Supremezero posted:

XSEED: Just a little peek, this is the finale of Cold Steel, it must be amazi-
*Falcom slaps XSEED's hand*
Falcom: No! Bad touch!

I could very well see that happening.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Supremezero posted:

How is that possible when they have almost simultaneously releases in Chinese and even Korean?

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
I dunno what to tell you. With XSEED at least, it's the unadulterated truth. We don't get to so much as look in the general direction of anything until it's released in Japan, let alone.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oblomov posted:

How is that possible when they have almost simultaneously releases in Chinese and even Korean?
either they have in-house staff that translates into chinese and korean, or they just don't like xseed or don't trust them enough.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Finished Cold Steel earlier today. That was excellent! They sure didn't hold back with things going high-stakes towards the end though, holy hell. I'd been spoiled on one or two things but there were still a hell of a lot of surprises left, so it hardly mattered. Also, wow, I was really surprised at the length of the game. Was likely just me being slow, but it still took me even longer than SC, which I hadn't expected at all. Thoroughly looking forward to the next one, whenever it comes out this year.

I imagine Cold Steel 2 sticks with using the character models for the faces during dialogue? Unlikely though it is, I'd sorta hope not. There was nothing particularly wrong with using the models for that stuff, but I couldn't help but think that the portraits used in FC and SC were far more expressive and fun.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Sort of seems like the Falcom thing now. Tokyo Xanadu does it too.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

lets hang out posted:

Sort of seems like the Falcom thing now. Tokyo Xanadu does it too.

That's a shame, but I guess it doesn't detract from the game too much.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The portraits in Sky were more fun, but on the other hand you had to make them for literally everyone, which is a pretty tall order. Cold Steel alone probably has 60 characters that you'd want portraits for. Just using the models is a pretty fair call.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The largest oddity in regards to them using the actual models is that they've tied animations into the player advancing the dialogue, just as if they were still using static portraits. More specifically, the character models blinking. Most similar games that use character models like that tend to have animations such as that independent of dialogue advancement, so you don't run into the somewhat distracting issue Cold Steel does, where characters end up speaking half their lines with their eyes closed.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Supremezero posted:

Actually, Ouroborous and co. don't even appear outside of doors, aside from Renne being around and the resident knight guy being Loewe (sort of).

And the church isn't evil and corrupt. You think we'd still have super good church people 3 games later if they were? There may be different specific people with different opinions on how to get poo poo done, however.

Also, if I remember right, the track down and forcibly adopt Renne plot doesn't actually start until Zero/the end of 3rd. I mean, they're trying to find Renne, but I don't think they wanted to adopt her yet.

That's too bad, I got it wrong, then. It's less interesting to me but I'll buy any Trails game that Xseed choose to release here because I am invested in this fictional world and want to know more.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Is Cold Steel as good as Trails in the Sky?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

On average yeah I'd say so. Some people will probably say it's better and some worse but as a whole it has pretty much everything that made Sky so good to a degree and has undeniably better mechanics

I think I connected with Sky's story a little more than CS so I like it better but in the sense that Sky is my favorite jrpg ever while CS is like top 5

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 26, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'd say it has better gameplay, slightly weaker characters but a somewhat more interesting setting due to all the political bullshit.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Gameplay and interface are vastly improved, the writing and characters aren't always as good, there's tons more silly anime bullshit if that matters.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the only think I don't really like in CS is having to clear the old schoolhouse every chapter

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

punk rebel ecks posted:

I mean, this question isn't going to have a single answer, but in general, yes.

Cake Attack posted:

the only think I don't really like in CS is having to clear the old schoolhouse every chapter

Eh. It's short, so it's fine.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going back and forth between getting a Vita due to Falcom's games.

Just don't know if I should hold out in case they port the games to the Playstation 4 down the line or even...PC.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Get a pstv for cheap.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Anyway the takeaway is that this series is epic and I can't wait to play the sexy police men and women game

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going back and forth between getting a Vita due to Falcom's games.

Just don't know if I should hold out in case they port the games to the Playstation 4 down the line or even...PC.

There's basically zero reason for the Cold Steel games to be ported to PC. There's not really a significant demand in Japan, and we at least have it at all in America, which is enough.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Get a pstv for cheap.

I thought Celceta doesn't work on that?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

I thought Celceta doesn't work on that?

That got fixed recently

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Supremezero posted:

There's basically zero reason for the Cold Steel games to be ported to PC. There's not really a significant demand in Japan, and we at least have it at all in America, which is enough.

A man can dream can't he? :negative:

Cake Attack posted:

That got fixed recently

Awesome. Does Persona 4: Golden work too?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah I'm like 99% sure golden works but maybe double check just in case

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

punk rebel ecks posted:

A man can dream can't he? :negative:

Awesome. Does Persona 4: Golden work too?

Yeah. Never had any touchscreen junk in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Supremezero posted:

Yeah. Never had any touchscreen junk in the first place.

um P4G had the extremely important mechanic of tapping the screen during battles sometimes and getting a heal

At least I think it did for some kind of wifi gimmick.