Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Linnaeus posted:

Seems like the endless eight was better received haha

hosed up

But I'm glad of all the folks that stuck through to the end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Linnaeus posted:

subtle breakdown vs blunt force trauma

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

There was a decent amount of people reading the thread, going by imgur hits

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Zas posted:

watchin eoe tonight

Dammit, Anno. :stare:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

.jpg posted:

There was a decent amount of people reading the thread, going by imgur hits

does it give hits on the picture if people see it on another webpage, or just when they click on it? or do you mean something else

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zas posted:

watchin eoe tonight

Anno loved his classic SF refs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instrumentality_of_Mankind

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Linnaeus posted:

The obvious solution is to watch EoE 8 times.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
EoE is just something I find hard to comment on. I don't really think it was painful to watch though, because while some specific scenes really sting, stuff like everyone getting brutally slaughtered is the level of misery I already expect from the series. I'm desensitized to it.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Kytrarewn posted:

Now, there's a certain sadness to be had in the thought that she was rejected by the man she loved from joining the collective consciousness,

Lucky for her it looks like Rei goes to pick her and seemingly everyone else up who died before it all kicks off proper, how far back? Well there is that one shot of her in episode 1...

In one of the quick shots a fairly large number of graves are shown, which must mean a lot of time has passed since Shinji returned. I think it's pretty clearly implied by one of them having Misato's cross nailed to it that he made them for everyone he thought he'd never see again. Also though, one is very clearly broken and knocked over in imagery not too dissimilar to the ubiquitous telegraph poles. So he must have put hers up before she rejected instrumentality too... It doesn't look like she reacted to seeing her own grave very well.

Hang in there Shinji.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Davincie posted:

does it give hits on the picture if people see it on another webpage, or just when they click on it? or do you mean something else

Yeah it even breaks down where the referral has come from, to some extent. I don't know how it handles duplicate views.

The screengrab I posted last night has 200 hits. For reference, the last thing I posted in the chat thread that wasn't emptyquoted a bunch has 100 hits

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

.jpg posted:

Yeah it even breaks down where the referral has come from, to some extent. I don't know how it handles duplicate views.

The screengrab I posted last night has 200 hits. For reference, the last thing I posted in the chat thread that wasn't emptyquoted a bunch has 100 hits

For whatever it's worth, this worthless image, posted in the Fall 2015 thread, has 430 views from forums.somethingawful.com, so I think it treats duplicate views as individual hits:

By contrast, there are 4 direct hits, which must be people who, for some reason, linked to the stupid thing.

For comparison, Misato's computer screen from this thread had 220 hits from forums.somethingawful.com, but 20 direct hits.

Darley-Wilkinson
Jun 19, 2007

uuuuiiii

Radio Spiricom posted:

to me, it's a metaphor. not just for shinji's current existence, but for the message of the entire show. he rejects instrumentality because it offers a life with no pain at the compromise of a life with no happiness; the two emotions can't exist without each other. shinji is alone on earth until someone else wills themself back to life i.e. he had no way of knowing that this existence wasn't purely subjective until another person existed. as a result, he begins choking asuka to see whether he can cause pain, to verify whether this is reality. asuka then caresses his face, like a mother would (like yui does during instrumentality) and he breaks down upon the realization that it is reality because humans have emotional capacity. but then it doubles back on the hatred part with the final line -- asuka still holds shinji in utter contempt. what the whole franchise is trying to communicate is that love is so potent that it makes life worth living even if it ultimately is so rare and inextricable from its binary opposition. "love is destructive."

the adam and eve reading doesn't really work for me because as mentioned anyone who has the will to live can bring themself back to life, there's no need to repopulate. it's a nice detail, especially considering that during instrumentality yui talks about how "anywhere can be paradise if you have the will to live" but it doesn't really become anything more than superficial imo.

as an aside i think another interesting thing about the final scene is how much it echoes the the opening of the first episode. shinji is alone before misato comes to pick him up, both feature brief cuts of rei... and when shinji first gets in 01 he says kimochi warui...

as for whether it gels with the tv ending, i don't think that it is supposed to, which is why it has its own title card.

i have a slightly different interpretation

shinji chokes asuka because, exactly like before Instrumentality, he's terrified of having to experience human contact from a subjective pov, so he immediately reacts to the trauma of finding a separate person beside him by trying to remove them and be alone again. his eyes are wide and glazed over like he's acting purely on instinct- i think in that moment he is genuinely trying to kill her, not just cause her pain. it's the same defensive impulse that leads to instrumentality and his experience of total aloneness in the first place. asuka's caress stops him because she reminds him that human contact can bring love and tenderness as well as suffering (and that his feelings for her involve love, pity, affection etc and not just terror.) to me, anno is brutally making the point that shinji's epiphany during instrumentality doesn't make his fundamental problem any different- he'll still feel the same fear and uncertainty, and his instinctive reaction will still be to withdraw from people or, by whatever method, make himself alone to shelter himself from that fear. the only difference is he knows he has to fight that impulse and accept the horror of this contradiction as best he can. but the same thing will play itself out ad nauseam

e: i definitely agree that the scene is meant to be a microcosm of the show's central themes

Darley-Wilkinson fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 25, 2016

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

Lucky for her it looks like Rei goes to pick her and seemingly everyone else up who died before it all kicks off proper, how far back? Well there is that one shot of her in episode 1...

In one of the quick shots a fairly large number of graves are shown, which must mean a lot of time has passed since Shinji returned. I think it's pretty clearly implied by one of them having Misato's cross nailed to it that he made them for everyone he thought he'd never see again. Also though, one is very clearly broken and knocked over in imagery not too dissimilar to the ubiquitous telegraph poles. So he must have put hers up before she rejected instrumentality too... It doesn't look like she reacted to seeing her own grave very well.

Hang in there Shinji.

In a deleted scene she kicks it down.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

That's interesting; the allusion suggests a less brazenly selfish side to SEELE than the way I've usually looked at it. I mean, it's a different story by a different author of course, but conversely I've always been a little puzzled by Keel Lorenz's contentment with Yui's version of Instrumentality coming into play.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Now I'm starting to wonder if Shinji didn't just straight up murderer anyone that came back before Asuka. I always figured Asuka was the first to come back, but now I'm unsure.

Maybe those graves aren't empty.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 26, 2016

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

I love me some bookends, and that's one of my favorite; do you think it was one of the avatars created in this event, come to see the instigator? One of the first scenes is the Rei avatar for a brief flash, as if to say, "Hello! The story is beginning now." And one of the last scenes in the movie is a longer cut of the same avatar just chilling and staring, as if to say, "Thank you. It's done; We're done- There's nothing more to say. Peace."

I'm not sure that this is quite what Anno had in mind at the beginning, if he had anything in mind except a giant robot show. But I'm glad he added that detail. It's like poetry, you know. It rhymes.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Asuka's fight is just incredible in every way.

...maybe I'll just turn it off after she wrecks all the mass production Evas.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

a kitten posted:

Asuka's fight is just incredible in every way.

...maybe I'll just turn it off after she wrecks all the mass production Evas.

That entire fight was one of the cruelest things I've ever seen an anime do to one of their characters.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Without diminishing what the show does to Asuka (or Shinji for that matter) the thing that really gets me is what happens to Rei. The girl who defined herself entirely by her relationship to others loses her ability to relate to them emotionally, then becomes fuel for a ritual the brings everyone else in the world together, but regardless of whether they choose to stay that way or not, there's no place for her on either side. The apparitions kind of suggest she becomes some kind of unseen observer outside of time, basically an echo of Yui's lonely vigil, except for Rei it's not really clear if it's by choice.

I still see the ending of the show as essentially hopeful, for reasons I've written on at length before, but man, Rei gets a raw deal.

At least Asuka dies doing what she loves.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I know
I know I've let you down

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Ein Kuss der ganzen Welt :gbsmith:

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Here's a shot that needs more attention.

The number of people that died during the siege of NERV must have been astronomical.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I have zero sympathy for any of the JSDF dudes tbh

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
I think Misato's scene should be getting more talk here.

For me her speech to Shinji was one of the most powerful in the film.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

resurgam40 posted:

I love me some bookends, and that's one of my favorite; do you think it was one of the avatars created in this event, come to see the instigator? One of the first scenes is the Rei avatar for a brief flash, as if to say, "Hello! The story is beginning now." And one of the last scenes in the movie is a longer cut of the same avatar just chilling and staring, as if to say, "Thank you. It's done; We're done- There's nothing more to say. Peace."

I'm not sure that this is quite what Anno had in mind at the beginning, if he had anything in mind except a giant robot show. But I'm glad he added that detail. It's like poetry, you know. It rhymes.

Yeah definitely, that's basically my read of it. I also don't think Anno had that in mind when he started but it really is all tied up nicely for me. The series ending is good but EoE is perfection.

Raxivace posted:

Now I'm starting to wonder if Shinji didn't just straight up murderer anyone that came back before Asuka. I always figured Asuka was the first to come back, but now I'm unsure.

Maybe those graves aren't empty.

Not pictured: The hundreds of JSSDF soldiers and NERV personnel Shinji has strangled and buried before Asuka showed up.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Sakurazuka posted:

I have zero sympathy for any of the JSDF dudes tbh

I feel a little sorry for the people who were lied to and convinced that it was necessary to execute a 14 year old hero in order to prevent the end of humanity, but were instead working for a different apocalyptic death cult with a similar time line.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ugh, help. I just wanted to see what evageeks had to say about the Dead Sea Scrolls because i got curious about if they were discovered and NERV/SEELE learned from them, or if they were just what those groups called their own plans. Turns out they came from space. (according to secondary material, it's not brought up in the series proper)

But, now i'm like 40 pages deep and reading about S2 engines and souls and Guf and Spears of Longinus and oh god help.

Anyway, it's weird that my friends and i used to be convinced that it was Naoko Akagi's soul that powers Unit 00.

Please enjoy this gif i found while searching for things.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 27, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

a kitten posted:

Ugh, help. I just wanted to see what evageeks had to say about the Dead Sea Scrolls because i got curious about if they were discovered and NERV/SEELE learned from them, or if they were just what those groups called their own plans. Turns out they came from space. (according to secondary material, it's not brought up in the series proper)

But, now i'm like 40 pages deep and reading about S2 engines and souls and Guf and Spears of Longinus and oh god help.

Anyway, it's weird that my friends and i used to be convinced that it was Naoko Akagi's soul that powers Unit 00.

Please enjoy this gif i found while searching for things.

Any information that comes from that PS2 game that supposedly 'solves' a lot of mysteries is only slightly more canon than the fanfic I wrote when I was 17. Slightly.
Arguments are usually split between Ritsuko's mum and the first Rei being in Unit 00.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

a kitten posted:

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

is she drawing people together or scaring them away...I can't tell...the loop..the loop!!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Me in my late teens

I think the only classical albums I actually own are Messiah, Air on a G String and Ode to Joy (I forget the proper names.)

Oh wait I have Moonlight Sonata because of Resident Evil.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 27, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Any information that comes from that PS2 game that supposedly 'solves' a lot of mysteries is only slightly more canon than the fanfic I wrote when I was 17. Slightly.
Arguments are usually split between Ritsuko's mum and the first Rei being in Unit 00.

Yeah, at least the idea of the Scrolls being prophesy-like seems to gel more with what's shown than SEELE just naming their plans that.

I'm firmly in the Rei I is in Unit 00 camp at this point, it just kind of sprouted in my mind somewhere between watching the original series/EoE and the Rebuild movies. It being the 'prevailing theory' (whatever that means, really) when i blundered into internet discussions about it a handful of years back just reinforced my vague ideas.

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Eva-00%27s_soul#The_Prevailing_Theory

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

a kitten posted:

Evageeks is a rabbit hole I've long since learned to stay away from. I can't visit that site without spending my entire afternoon reading through stuff.

Sakurazuka posted:

The game isn't canon but a lot of the backstory/lore in the game came directly from Anno, so.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Me in my late teens

I think the only classical albums I actually own are Messiah, Air on a G String and Ode to Joy (I forget the proper names.)

Oh wait I have Moonlight Sonata because of Resident Evil.

can't forget https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67a5FTa1U1A

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I don't really see how ritsuko's mom being in unit 00 makes any sense, I thought the whole point was that it had to be someone related, meawhile the only interaction she had with rei was to murder her & then herself

plus that would mean she uploaded herself into two separate things and that just seems excessive somehow

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dexie posted:

The game isn't canon but a lot of the backstory/lore in the game came directly from Anno, so.

'While the information seems to have been based on extensive interviews with Hideaki Anno, creator of the franchise, the canonicity of the information in the game has never been officially stated.' According to Wikipedia

I'm in the mystery is best left unsolved camp though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

darealkooky posted:

I don't really see how ritsuko's mom being in unit 00 makes any sense, I thought the whole point was that it had to be someone related, meawhile the only interaction she had with rei was to murder her & then herself

plus that would mean she uploaded herself into two separate things and that just seems excessive somehow
I presume the idea is that the MAGI are her reproducing her mind-states as code, whereas Unit-00 contains the actual original soul.

There isn't necessarily a rule about the soul needing to be the pilot's mother, that's just usually the best way to do it. Neither Rei nor Kaworu have mothers, and both can pilots Evas (although being part/all angel messes with that).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Both also raise the question of how their souls actually got in to Unit 00, Yui and Asuka's mum's were both activation 'accidents' but Rei 1 and Ritsuko's mum both very obviously died without going near it.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sakurazuka posted:

Both also raise the question of how their souls actually got in to Unit 00, Yui and Asuka's mum's were both activation 'accidents' but Rei 1 and Ritsuko's mum both very obviously died without going near it.

Well I mean if we really wanna get into it EoE makes it fairly clear that your soul isn't gone as soon as you die, as shown by all the people that end up included in instrumentality in the end even though they died about half an hour ago.

I didn't know anyone even thought that Ritsuko's mom would be in unit 00, that wouldn't make much sense at all. After what happened with Rei 1 I don't see her syncing all that well with Rei 2, and also they're not related and also it makes no sense in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Also there was that scene whare Shinji was in unit 0 and he felt something like Rei, but at the same time alien

• Locked thread