Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

RoboCicero posted:

It's funny, when I first saw that book I was like "no way that Mieville doesn't have a story in this", got to the end, wondered where he was, then re-read it and of course he's the one with the invisible letter.

What's his short story like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Decent! I'm not sure when it's from, but it reminds me a bit of that one story in Three Moments of an Explosion about the New Dead. Less creepy and more him taking an idea (animals comprised of 'nothing') and having some fun with it. Written in the same considered, faux-academic style as that, as well as Buscard's Murrain and Second Slice Manifesto, but a lot less creepy than the latter two. One of his stories that make you go "huh, weird" and sit for a little bit considering the implications.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Witness last days of New Paris as it is slowly consumed by blur filter.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Someone detonated a photoshop hackjob bomb!
It's not as bad as the American cover for Three Moments but it's pretty close.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 15, 2015

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I found the art director's notes:

"I want it to have a sense of melancholy and wistfulness and -most importantly- evoke a real sense that it's dreadfully boring"

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
Wait, is the Eiffel Tower in Paris? I honestly would have had no idea if it weren't the title of the book. Wish the artist had picked a more unmistakable landmark; something so integral to the city of Paris that it basically does all the work for them.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Goodreds is doing an interview with China, if you have any questions you would like asked and don't use the site just post them here and i will send them.

"We are interviewing author China Miéville for the Goodreads monthly newsletter, so we are asking his readers to submit questions! You can click reply below and submit a question about his upcoming book, This Census-Taker, his past work, or anything you're curious about in general. If you send me a question, we may be able to include it!

* You received this message because you gave 4 or 5 stars to a book by China Miéville. To participate, please click below to reply to this message with your question by Thursday, December 17."

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Can you ask him if he thinks Leicester can maintain their momentum and go on to win the league? His input is vital to me.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ask him if we're ever gonna get that encyclopedia of Bas Lag.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Ask him what weight he squats.

E: It's not just that cover, it's all the new 'literatey' cover designs.

AUTHOR
NAME

portrait of an assgrabber

SaviourX fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 18, 2015

BigSkillet
Nov 27, 2003
I said teaberry, not sandalwood!
Seconding the question about his exercise routine, which I've always assumed was just benching stacks of other lesser fantasy series.

Since I assume everybody else is going to ask about more Bas Lag. . . ask him if he can ask Steph Swainston when we might see another one of her books.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The deadline for sending in questions ran out a few days ago.

BigSkillet posted:

ask him if he can ask Steph Swainston when we might see another one of her books.

"The fifth Castle book, Fair Rebel is complete and will be published by Gollancz in 2016.

I have three more Castle books planned and I’m halfway through the next one."

http://stephswainston.co.uk/

I really need to find the time to re-read those books.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"Mr. Miéville: Full Communism Now or moderate social-democracy established in small increments whenever it's convenient?"

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 22, 2015

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Read PDS. Now highly alienated. Don't even want to look out the window.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.

Baloogan posted:

Read PDS. Now highly alienated. Don't even want to look out the window.

Now I want to read Perdido Dreet Station.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I got the second Dial H trade for christmas, I highly recommend it. China's writing goes really well with the comicbook medium, I hope we see more of that kind of work from him in the future.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Io9 reviewed This Census-Taker : http://io9.gizmodo.com/china-mieville-novella-this-census-taker-is-a-strange-m-1751397274

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Eh. I'm going to get it, naturally, but from that reviews it really seems he's continuing the Three Moments approach of letting the readers draw their own conclusions... about everything and in spite of writing endings. In short stories, it worked for some and less for others, but I'm rather suspicious of anything longer done this way.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

This Census Taker is probably one of those short stories that just got big enough to release as novella?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Do you guys like experimental jazz performed alongside spoken excerpts from China Miéville stories?

I didn't before, but I do now!

https://themievilleproject.bandcamp.com/album/the-mieville-project-live

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

Do you guys like experimental jazz performed alongside spoken excerpts from China Miéville stories?

This is great

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Hedrigall posted:

The idea behind it is really cool, i gave it a listen but jazz really isn't my thing.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I have literally no idea how to process that or how I feel about it.

Huh.

(Also I think some bits of Three Moments were basically meant for that so their lack of inclusion is weird.)

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Does China Mieville do any martial arts? I really want to fight him. He looks kind of like a pierced dick.

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
Tossing out some love for Un Lun Dun... don't let the "Young Adult' thing scare you. I'm 27 and while it is definitely an easy read it is very entertaining, witty, and unpredictable. Dude does his own illustrations too, what a boss.

I've been hitting his books in order, right now working on Kraken :cthulhu:. Collingswood is probably my favorite character so far. "What do you know about making big poo poo little?" :cop:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Collingswood does indeed own very much.

Also if you liked Un Lun Dun, you're gonna love Railsea.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Sorry, double post but this is a slow-moving thread :

I finally got some uninterrupted time to just read and have a glass or four of wine and eat through This Census Taker.

Short trip report?

I have absolutely no clue about what half the poo poo that happened is, but I was thoroughly engaged the whole time and I think that's the point?

I look forward to lending it out and discussing it with friends.

But anyone on the fence : it's like 200 pages. Just read it. It's not like it's a commitment and it's thoroughly gripping if ???????

:psyduck:/10, but was happy the whole time.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Glad it was a good read. I'm looking forward to getting it but for once I haven't either preordered or arranged to get an advanced copy. I'll just pick it up in stores here at the end of this month.

I'm keeping an eye on publisher's catalogues for info about The Last Days of New Paris. Weirdly the page count for that has been revised down to 175 pages, so maybe this year we're just getting two novellas, no full length novels...

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Does China Mieville do any martial arts? I really want to fight him. He looks kind of like a pierced dick.

I think he just lifts

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

More like Prince Alarming

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

You don't have a chance

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

quote:

Lady Gagas now surround China, hundreds and hundreds of them.

This is a p good blog.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
:siren: Are you guys ready for what sounds like China's most political and complex novel yet?

The Last Days of New Paris posted:

A thriller of war that never was—of survival in an impossible city—of surreal cataclysm. In The Last Days of New Paris, China Miéville entwines true historical events and people with his daring, uniquely imaginative brand of fiction, reconfiguring history and art into something new.

“Beauty will be convulsive. . . .”

1941. In the chaos of wartime Marseilles, American engineer—and occult disciple—Jack Parsons stumbles onto a clandestine anti-Nazi group, including Surrealist theorist André Breton. In the strange games of the dissident diplomats, exiled revolutionaries, and avant-garde artists, Parsons finds and channels hope. But what he unwittingly unleashes is the power of dreams and nightmares, changing the war and the world forever.

1950. A lone Surrealist fighter, Thibault, walks a new, hallucinogenic Paris, where Nazis and the Résistance are trapped in unending conflict, and the streets are stalked by living images and texts—and by the forces of Hell. To escape the city, he must join forces with Sam, an American photographer intent on recording the ruins, and make common cause with a powerful, enigmatic figure of chance and rebellion: the Exquisite Corpse.

But Sam is being hunted. And new secrets will emerge that will test all their loyalties—to each other, to Paris old and new, and to reality itself.

Out August 9th!!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
:siren: gently caress another new book for 3-7 year olds called The Worst Breakfast! October 4th this year!!

https://outtherebooks.wordpress.com/2016/03/05/a-third-china-mieville-book-for-2016-its-a-picture-book/

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I'm excited for Last Days of New Paris, though his most recent stuff has me worried that it trails off rather than finishing the main arc out. Sounds like Life And Times In The Cacotopic Stain.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Has he just been sitting on all this?

What's with the famine then feast?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think they're supposed to be short novels.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

Yeah, I like the idea of taking crazy new wave type ideas and keeping the novella-short novel length to them to keep the ideas from ballooning out. Much hyped.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I miss his long novels, but of course I don't want a long story just for the sake of it being long.

Has anyone read This Census Taker yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Not yet. I got a free copy from the publisher though :3: