Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wasn't there some sort of lawsuit recently that made doing that sort of poo poo with kickstarter money an actionable offense? I could have sworn there was a ruling that was aimed to put a stop to those shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Captain Invictus posted:

Wasn't there some sort of lawsuit recently that made doing that sort of poo poo with kickstarter money an actionable offense? I could have sworn there was a ruling that was aimed to put a stop to those shenanigans.

That was more of a "company who ran the kickstarter is still responsible for the money and must refund or must prove that they did everything they could to get the game out and it just wasn't doable."

People writing bad contracts/Hussie being trusting is what allegedly let The Odd Gentlemen take off with most of the kickstarter money for The Homestuck Game.

The Neil Gaiman thing was something I heard about at around the same time but again nothing really concrete.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Someone tell Woolie and Pat that Naruto looks at a nudie mag with another child in like episode 2 so they can stop with the sexy jutsu talk

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Baal posted:

Someone tell Woolie and Pat that Naruto looks at a nudie mag with another child in like episode 2 so they can stop with the sexy jutsu talk

Don't

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

It's also accurate to the end of Matt's Best of 2013 video where it says "look forward to our Best of 2014 lists in 2016!"

I forgotten I had predicted that.

Liam and I really wanted to do the traditional list format, but at the end of the day we agreed to do this sorta video podcast thing. How do you guys feel about it?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Blockhouse posted:

MN9 looks like garbage and Inafune is a hack who has somehow convinced people he's a Miyamoto-level genius mastermind

Meanwhile the actual father of Mega Man is languishing in obscurity somewhere

I'm not defending Inafune here but the whole "Inafune didn't actually create MM!" isn't really the gotcha everyone thinks it is.

cmykjester posted:

and Shantae which I still don't think is anywhere near done

Every KS game misses its projected release window and so does every Shantae game so this isn't really an omen.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want a Bombcast style best of the year where you start stabbing each other until you all agree on the top ten.

(I dunno what would be the best way to do it. I mean I guess the podcast style video is easier to produce but three hours is pretty long. Maybe cut down to top 5?)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheRealestMatt posted:

Liam and I really wanted to do the traditional list format, but at the end of the day we agreed to do this sorta video podcast thing. How do you guys feel about it?

I think it works pretty well. I kind of liked individualized lists a lot since it lets everyone give their own sort of personal style, but discussing the games you thought were cool amongst each other is pretty good too.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

TheRealestMatt posted:

Everyone is doing a video podcast, even Giantbomb.

It really depends how tedious it is on your guys' end to render out the video. You could put out the podcast as usual and delay the video by a day or few, like Roosterteeth.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think the videocast is way better than the individual list videos, which come off as fairly archaic and remove the interplay that forms a core appeal of the channel.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Pretty much what everyone already said. Dig the individual videos but this podcast video set up is pretty cool as well.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Rodyle posted:

I think the videocast is way better than the individual list videos, which come off as fairly archaic and remove the interplay that forms a core appeal of the channel.

I agree with this. I liked the lists, but got the feeling they were a bit of a chore behind the scenes, and always felt a bit out of place, content-wise. I enjoyed the more free flowing discussion more overall, and it feels more "best friends" than the lists.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, both formats are fine. I enjoyed hearing the individual thoughts of everyone, but having it all be one big talk also works well with seeing you all discuss a game.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
More abstract discussion less structure and lists. Just shoot the poo poo or something. Or make up funny categories for specific games just to keep it fresh.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea gun to my head I liked this podcast-ish style better, but really the lists were fun in their own ways to see everyone's 'voice' come out when most other things are team videos and all. Either is good, but I did like this one a bit better.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

And of course the TMNT trailer leaks before they officially release it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPb0Pk_keXYv

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm with Pat and Matt on Transistor. That game's art is phenomenal, the way they wrap the story/exp/abilities/characters into a bundle is incredible, the music is perfect, I adore Bastion... but SOMETHING stopped me. I got to the point where NotRucks is malfunctioning and a second kaiju shows up within spitting distance of the end and my momentum just died completely. Tried to finish it like, 2 months later and couldn't remember how anything worked :shrug:

E: Pat's Hearthstone repping is the ravings of a madman but still less insane than Liam holding up Sacred Cards

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 26, 2016

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015
Transistor's story is kind of meandering at places and it's gameplay is not a well thought-out as it appears. Right around the point where half of the bad guys kill themselves in a penthouse the game loses a ton of momentum and some design issues start to become more obvious. I still enjoyed it but I wouldn't blame people for giving up on it.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Wiseblood posted:

Oh god there's a sewer shark. Woolie felt a stab in his chest.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They have two of Viewtiful Joe's bosses in this game

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Baal posted:

Didn't notice them. Which ones?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Rodyle posted:

I'm with Pat and Matt on Transistor. That game's art is phenomenal, the way they wrap the story/exp/abilities/characters into a bundle is incredible, the music is perfect, I adore Bastion... but SOMETHING stopped me. I got to the point where NotRucks is malfunctioning and a second kaiju shows up within spitting distance of the end and my momentum just died completely. Tried to finish it like, 2 months later and couldn't remember how anything worked :shrug:

I wanted to like Transistor, I really did. All the pieces to the puzzle were there, but...it just didn't come together like it should. Biggest disappointment of 2014 for me. :sigh:

quote:

E: Pat's Hearthstone repping is the ravings of a madman but still less insane than Liam holding up Sacred Cards

The only good Yugioh game was Eternal Duelist Soul, anyway.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

havenwaters posted:

Didn't notice them. Which ones?

Rocksteady and the Shark Man are Hulk Davidson and Gran Bruce.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Baal posted:

oh my god you're right

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Baal posted:

Rocksteady and the Shark Man are Hulk Davidson and Gran Bruce.

Oh drat you're right. That's awesome

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I'm even more excited then I was before at the prospect of fighting Street Sharks

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Not too long ago I finally accepted that the 2012 TMNT cartoon simply wasn't very good after the first season, so I'm very glad they don't use those voices for these turtles.

Only knock against it is that Shredder's design is a bit much for me since I love when Shredder has the minimal amount of armor, and his voice didn't sit that well for me, other than that this game looks glorious. :allears:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Solaris Knight posted:

I'm even more excited then I was before at the prospect of fighting Street Sharks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4HLBfTcAUg

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The shark is a new version of Armaggon from the Archie Comics/TMNT Tournament Fighters

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I need to loving play Dragonfall god drat it

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Rodyle posted:

I need to loving play Dragonfall god drat it

Shadowrun? It's good poo poo if so. Then Hong Kong manages to be even better!

I'm still kind of surprised at how those have just gotten better in each iteration, just building on and improving your game as you go forward feels like such an uncommon quality in developers by this point.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Wordnumber posted:

Transistor's story is kind of meandering at places and it's gameplay is not a well thought-out as it appears. Right around the point where half of the bad guys kill themselves in a penthouse the game loses a ton of momentum and some design issues start to become more obvious. I still enjoyed it but I wouldn't blame people for giving up on it.

Yeah, that part really felt abrupt, like a chunk of the story got cut or something. I dunno, I liked Transistor, but Bastion was definitely the better game.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Wait what the gently caress is Odalius: The Dark Call

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.
A loving sick Metroidvania/Character Action game.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Wiseblood posted:

so who wants to bet money that they'll somehow find a way to leak the entire game like a week ahead of time

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

KaosMachina posted:

so who wants to bet money that they'll somehow find a way to leak the entire game like a week ahead of time

The game will leak and everyone at Platinum and Activision will deny that it ever existed

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

...did this Naruto game just completely cut Shizune out of the Find Tsunade arc?

I know it's not a 1:1 retelling of the manga's story but cutting out a semi-major character like that seems weird.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The Mulder-Mobile, Scully-Copter and Skinner-Sub combo is powerful

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

TheRealestMatt posted:

A loving sick Metroidvania/Character Action game.

I'm just not used to being completely blindsided, I'm super down for a new Bestfriendvania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Meanwhile this thrilling debacle is happening on twitter.

Fascinatingly, the poll Pat made about it is neck and goddamned neck: