Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

how the gently caress do you have 434 posts in this thread already

Your post rate in general is almost twice mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Ramos posted:

The general consensus is that Elusive Spellfist works just fine as a budget option and even has upsides over Jace for being more aggressive.

Aww hell yeah that guy looks brutal. I'm gonna put a deck together for Friday and I can probly find 4 of him no problem. Gonna splash black too for some sweet sideboard options and maybe painful truths. gently caress yes.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Your post rate in general is almost twice mine.

Look, you're both nerds who spend too much time talking about cardboard art rectangles on a computer.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
This thread is a lot nicer when you put the people who are just incredibly bad at posting on ignore, I recommend that rather than slapfighting.

Of course you can't see this if you're already following my advice... :v:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Madmarker posted:

Look, you're both nerds who spend too much time talking about cardboard art rectangles on a computer.

The modern life experience revolves around images on rectangles of some sort.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

vandalism posted:

Can I play U/R prowess in Standard to much effect without any jaces?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: no need for Jaces OR the other thing people like. 12 creatures - Abbot, Swiftspear, and Stormchaser - and a poo poo ton of cantrips will get you there easily.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

vandalism posted:

Can I play U/R prowess in Standard to much effect without any jaces?

honestly, probably, but it would lose a little consistency and flashback is nice in deck that needs spells to trigger prowess

depends on how much that cost is to you

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

InterrupterJones posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: no need for Jaces OR the other thing people like. 12 creatures - Abbot, Swiftspear, and Stormchaser - and a poo poo ton of cantrips will get you there easily.
There aren't that many cantrips in Standard, and the math says you need 14 of something for a 90% chance of starting with it. I guess you are 90% for one creature by turn 3 with 12, but I guess then you're running Anticipate so that can find you your first/second.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Niton posted:

As a group, they remind me a little bit of WoW's titans & the re-origination plotline: Ulamog devours the ambient mana on a plane, Kozilek injects his own version, and then Emrakul warps the plane to how it's "supposed" to look after Kozilek does his work.

Even if Ulamog and Kozilek are dead, you now have a massively powerful cosmic horror continuing to re-shape planes.. without the groundwork that makes it "safe" for it to do so. Emrakul needs to be answered in the very short term, and the idiots of the Gatewatch destroyed any lead they could possibly have had.

..and with that, i've spent 5 minutes longer thinking about it than anyone at Wizards creative.

I *think* that what's happened is they destroyed Ulamog and Kozilek's physical projections into Zendikar--basically they burned their hands really, really badly. They are now floating out in the blind eternities licking their wounds. Also the space between planes is now really dangerous, because they're floating around in it unbound and unoccupied by eating Zendikar.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sigma-X posted:

This thread is a lot nicer when you put the people who are just incredibly bad at posting on ignore, I recommend that rather than slapfighting.

Of course you can't see this if you're already following my advice... :v:

This thread is loving great when we're posting about Relentless Rats

anglachel
May 28, 2012
Unless I'm missing something Flagstones seems like a pretty good card just in general if your running heavy white. I mean it ramps you every turn you play another one.....

I mean yeah mono white (well mono ANY color really) is not the way to go in Modern. But if it was!

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Boco_T posted:

There aren't that many cantrips in Standard, and the math says you need 14 of something for a 90% chance of starting with it. I guess you are 90% for one creature by turn 3 with 12, but I guess then you're running Anticipate so that can find you your first/second.

Funny you mention that. Anticipate is actually a far worthier replacement to Jace than Elusive Spellfist, since Slip Through Space gives unblockable to any of your creatures.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

anglachel posted:

Unless I'm missing something Flagstones seems like a pretty good card just in general if your running heavy white. I mean it ramps you every turn you play another one.....

No it doesn't, since the plains it finds comes into play tapped.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

anglachel posted:

I mean yeah mono white (well mono ANY color really) is not the way to go in Modern. But if it was!

Flagstones doesn't ramp

anglachel
May 28, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Flagstones doesn't ramp

Play Flagstones. Next turn. Tap flagstones for a white. Play another flagstones sacrifice your tapped one due to legend rule. Oh look your up 1 mana, and still have the same amount of lands in play. Funny that sounds like a very minor ramp effect.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Flagstones is good pretty much exclusively because it can grab shocks. Ghost Quarter on your own Flagstones is pretty good fixing if you don't need to blow up an opponent's land, and makes a pile of Ghost Quarters in the main feasible.

E: Also boom. Never forget Boom.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Flagstones is spiking because you can tap Flagstones and a red to cast Boom/Bust on turn 2 and not lose any land without having to play a mana dork turn 1. There's a janky R/W brew centered around the Goblin Dark-Dwellers - Boom // Bust combo.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

anglachel posted:

Play Flagstones. Next turn. Tap flagstones for a white. Play another flagstones sacrifice your tapped one due to legend rule. Oh look your up 1 mana, and still have the same amount of lands in play. Funny that sounds like a very minor ramp effect.

ok, let's step through this since you missed a vital step:

T1, play flagstones. Tap for W and cast Kytheon or whatever.
T2, tap flagstones. Play flagstones, legends the old one, fetch a TAPPED plains. tap your second flagstones. WW floating, cast White Knight.

HEY LOOK WE DID NOT RAMP AT loving ALL.

It thins your deck and is pretty much a non-life fetch when you play your second. It does not ramp.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

The Lord of Hats posted:

I *think* that what's happened is they destroyed Ulamog and Kozilek's physical projections into Zendikar--basically they burned their hands really, really badly. They are now floating out in the blind eternities licking their wounds. Also the space between planes is now really dangerous, because they're floating around in it unbound and unoccupied by eating Zendikar.

Yeah, I can't imagine they're actually, properly dead, I just think Emrakul would be even more dangerous in their absence - presumably there's an actual point to the Eldrazi, right? Whatever that is, she's been working off a thousand-year backlog since she left the plane, with or without her cohorts, and gone with them is any idea of what that might be.

Niton fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 26, 2016

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Flagstones exists to pair with boom // bust or smallpox, it's pretty bad otherwise. A second one isn't a loss of mana, but it does force you to tap your land during your own turn, which can be a relevant downside.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Maro retweeted this tonight, hopefully Trick Daddy mcNasty can lay the smack on that kid for stealing wizards IP

https://twitter.com/keldson/status/691818638299504641

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ShadeofBlue posted:

Flagstones exists to pair with boom // bust or smallpox, it's pretty bad otherwise. A second one isn't a loss of mana, but it does force you to tap your land during your own turn, which can be a relevant downside.

I'm wondering now if mono-white Soldiers should play it as a four-of because that deck doesn't have any instants. The problem is that the deck-thinning in question amounts to roughly one extra spell per tournament, at the cost of being more vulnerable to Blood Moon and Aven Mindcensor effects.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

anglachel posted:

Hey now I thought Hatebears was getting a little more attention after the latest bans, unless that was just wishful thinking on my part. I've always wanted to build it but can't be bothered to pick up Vials at $40/card, which I guess will probably never go down.

Chamale posted:

I'm wondering now if mono-white Soldiers should play it as a four-of because that deck doesn't have any instants. The problem is that the deck-thinning in question amounts to roughly one extra spell per tournament, at the cost of being more vulnerable to Blood Moon and Aven Mindcensor effects.

Is there even a Soldiers deck in Modern?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

C-Euro posted:

Hey now I thought Hatebears was getting a little more attention after the latest bans, unless that was just wishful thinking on my part. I've always wanted to build it but can't be bothered to pick up Vials at $40/card, which I guess will probably never go down.

I remember when Aether Vials were "only" $12-15 a pop and I decided I'd wait and see if the price went down following a reprint someday.

They've since been reprinted.

Death is certain.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

There is in that you can build a Soldier deck in Modern.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

JerryLee posted:

I remember when Aether Vials were "only" $12-15 a pop and I decided I'd wait and see if the price went down following a reprint someday.

They've since been reprinted.

Death is certain.

When I came back from my decade hiatus and saw that Vials were worth something I frantically dug through my old cards looking for one, I could have sworn I opened one or two in the Darksteel pre-release (which was shortly before I got out) but no dice :(

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

C-Euro posted:

Legacy. Chalice of the Void, Ancient Tomb, Suppression Field, Chrome Mox, Thalia, and soldiers.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Chamale posted:

You already know in your heart that this is a bad plan.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ShadeofBlue posted:

You already know in your heart that this is a bad plan.

You're right. I've learned from Breakfast Burrito that any plan which goes "I increase my win rate by 0.1% unless I run into [card]" is a bad plan.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Today I learned World Breaker is destroying the Expedition Hallowed Fountain.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

the Eldrazi finally stooped to the most heinous crime in Wizard Poker: flip and rip

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 26, 2016

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Count Bleck posted:

Eldrazi are Russian. Look at that Slav squat!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Chamale posted:

Legacy. Chalice of the Void, Ancient Tomb, Suppression Field, Chrome Mox, Thalia, and soldiers.

Oh yeah of course, I'm building that one. I didn't even know Blood Moon was a thing in Legacy, I thought people just opted for stuff like Wasteland if they wanted to hate out non-basics.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

afaik it's only played in Imperial Painter and occasionally as a sideboard in URx decks.

Also Blue Moon if that's still a thing

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

I like this a lot. It's some really lovely art design, and I am glad it is here. Mechanically, all you need to kill both titans is 13GGR. 16 mana to kill two gods seems about right.

Also, what is Gideon doing. There's always the one rear end in a top hat fighter who refuses to get a sling. It costs literally nothing, ammo is infinite ("I pick up a rock") it is a simple weapon, so you always have proficiency, and it weighs basically nothing. I don't care if your whip has a range of three squares, the boss is 100 feet away. Get your poo poo in order Gideon.

Rules question, if you surge fall of the titans for X=3, is its cmc on the stack 1, 4, or 7?

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 26, 2016

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Gensuki posted:

Rules question, if you surge fall of the titans for X=3, is its cmc on the stack 1, 4, or 7?
Casting a spell for its surge cost doesn’t change its mana cost or its converted mana cost.
So I guess it would be 1? I'm not confident in this answer.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The Eldrazi refused to tap so Gideon couldn't destroy them.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

Gensuki posted:

Being that surge is an alt casting cost, I dare say this would be handled in much the same way as overload was. I think in your example, itd be 4.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Gensuki posted:

It would be 7. Not sure about Overload, but a quick google confirms that Surge doesn't change the spell's CMC while on the stack. So you declare X = 3, CMC is 7, then pay 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
117.9c. An alternative cost doesn't change a spell's mana cost, only what its controller has to pay to cast it. Spells and abilities that ask for that spell's mana cost still see the original value.

107.3g All instances of X on an object have the same value at any given time.

The two relevant rules

• Locked thread