Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foppery
Dec 27, 2013

I POSSESS THE POWER CHRONIC

I think that Lincoln's reconstruction would've been better than Johnson's out of simple competence, if nothing else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

A Man and his dog posted:

Seriously, if you didn't go to church growing up, you can't really just start going in your 20s and saying your a faithful man or some poo poo.

Smh

You can, and I'm pretty sure Nutranurse grew up Mormon.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

zoux posted:

Thats a pretty big "obv lacking"

yeah that's probably not the best phrasing, but Lincoln's kind of initial reconstruction plans were kind of eh

basically you've got your optimistic prediction Lincoln overhauls things early on closer to radical reconstruction in those early years where there's massive social capitol for change right after the war

or the pessimistic where he kind of fumbles and fucks up and were left with Lincoln not being as nearly well regarded nowadays as he is

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Sinnlos posted:

You were going to a Pentecostal Church, try a Baptist Church from the National Baptist Convention next time if you want something historically African American and less insane.

oh no my nonmormon family is baptist so ive seen that already, i was checking out the pentecostal church b/c said stealth black republican friend invited me and i was feeling amicable

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Foppery posted:

I think that Lincoln's reconstruction would've been better than Johnson's out of simple competence, if nothing else

Yeah.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sinnlos posted:

How dare you challenge that man's religious authority.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

I also think churches are a big enough social factor in the South that it might make sense to go to one even if you don't believe simply so you can actually participate in a community.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i wonder if part of lincon's golden legacy is that he was too busy do to any actual governing

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
I think the real problem isn't about hypothetical lincoln reconstruction or grant, it's how do you generate a timeline in which whoever is president after them doesn't stop giving a poo poo at all

because no matter what they did it seems doubtful it would continue through

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Seriously, if you didn't go to church growing up, you can't really just start going in your 20s and saying your a faithful man or some poo poo.

Smh

imo its prolly a much better thing to decide to become christian of whatever flavor as an adult than be forced into it as a child :shrug:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Berke Negri posted:

yeah that's probably not the best phrasing, but Lincoln's kind of initial reconstruction plans were kind of eh

basically you've got your optimistic prediction Lincoln overhauls things early on closer to radical reconstruction in those early years where there's massive social capitol for change right after the war

or the pessimistic where he kind of fumbles and fucks up and were left with Lincoln not being as nearly well regarded nowadays as he is

that's fair, but since she's talking in rhetorical, i think its fine to say go with the optimistic

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Sinnlos posted:

I also think churches are a big enough social factor in the South that it might make sense to go to one even if you don't believe simply so you can actually participate in a community.

yeah, this

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Smh

How the hell do you fail to grasp the whole redemption angle of christianity?

Foppery
Dec 27, 2013

I POSSESS THE POWER CHRONIC

Sinnlos posted:

I had a completely secular upbringing, so it's kind of fun to wonder which one I'd sign up for if I wanted to

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

nutranurse posted:

yeah, this

like everyone i know from down here goes to church, even the tatt'd up hipster friends i have

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sinnlos posted:

maybe in a small town

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Disinterested posted:

I think the real problem isn't about hypothetical lincoln reconstruction or grant, it's how do you generate a timeline in which whoever is president after them doesn't stop giving a poo poo at all

well the hope would be that because lincoln lived and reconstruction actually worked, that the need and reason to continue would be there as american society would have been changed for the better

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

i think it's pretty clear that hrc misspoke there

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Foppery posted:

Lincoln's reconstruction would have done even less than the jack poo poo we got out of johnson. lincoln lucked out that he got shot so that he didn't lose the peace

lol and I'm the idiot

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Sinnlos posted:

Or live in a city so that you don't have to do that

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Foppery posted:

I had a completely secular upbringing, so it's kind of fun to wonder which one I'd sign up for if I wanted to

ive been thinking about flirting with catholicism b/c i like the ritual and history

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

the_paradigm_shift posted:

How the hell do you fail to grasp the whole redemption angle of christianity?

Lmao

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

zoux posted:

death of the author doesnt apply to rhetoric

I think you'll find that death of the author applies to everything

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Disinterested posted:

because no matter what they did it seems doubtful it would continue through

i don't think I've really seen a reconstruction plan that seems plausible without just I don't know, killing every land owner right after the war or keeping federal occupation indefinitely

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

well the hope would be that because lincoln lived and reconstruction actually worked, that the need and reason to continue would be there as american society would have been changed for the better

i don't think anyone has ever been optimistic enough about a potential reconstruction project to imagine this

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol and I'm the idiot

You are, yes.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

nutranurse posted:

imo its prolly a much better thing to decide to become christian of whatever flavor as an adult than be forced into it as a child :shrug:

It is, imo. I'm a practicing Catholic, but I plan on being pretty careful about religion with any hypothetical children. I personally think that blind faith has little meaning, and that it is possible to be a good person regardless of one's faith.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Disinterested posted:

i think it's pretty clear that hrc misspoke there

You don't think she was sending secret signals to the massive Lost Cause southern Democrat voting bloc that secretly is planning the resurection of the South?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

that's fair, but since she's talking in rhetorical, i think its fine to say go with the optimistic

oh yeah obv

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

and what exactly are your credentials on reconstruction friar gently caress? writting guns of the south fan fiction doesnt count

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Berke Negri posted:

i don't think I've really seen a reconstruction plan that seems plausible without just I don't know, killing every land owner right after the war or keeping federal occupation indefinitely

Well, frankly, im for it,

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
HRC doesn't care about black people

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Disinterested posted:

i don't think anyone has ever been optimistic enough about a potential reconstruction project to imagine this

well again its the difference in speaking in the rhetorical and then doing any sort of actual counterfactual timeline generation

so, like it's not hard to imagine that a timeline in which lincoln lives is even marginally better, because we're deffo not in the good timeline

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

well again its the difference in speaking in the rhetorical and then doing any sort of actual counterfactual timeline generation

so, like it's not hard to imagine that a timeline in which lincoln lives is even marginally better, because we're deffo not in the good timeline

yes obviously, I wasn't even talking about your candidate

she still misspoke

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

and what exactly are your credentials on reconstruction friar gently caress? writting guns of the south fan fiction doesnt count

:allears:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

concert to Catholicism and then immediately lapse is prob the pro move

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Disinterested posted:

yes obviously

she still misspoke

eh, i don't think she really did and i think rask is making a giant deal out of nothing because he hates hillary.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Rask when you start yelling for credentials you're starting to lose it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
what if lincoln survived the assassination phineas gage style, and had a massive change of heart and refused to accept southern surrender, instead admitting his mistake and ordering the union army to stand down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Berke Negri posted:

concert to Catholicism and then immediately lapse is prob the pro move

thats prolly what will happen

• Locked thread