Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

widespread posted:

Speaking of, is Versus 13 coming out or did that get indefinitely shitcanned.

It was renamed Final Fantasy XV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

ImpAtom posted:

It was renamed Final Fantasy XV.

Yeah I realized that after reading some posts here. Which kinda sucks because I had to stop playing LR early on mainly because it was just too :catstare: for me. I'm not sure what just killed me on it: Hope mentioning taking souls to salvation or that Lighting ISN'T a time lord, but rather Anime Jesus Christ.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Sunning posted:

. I'm sure the new development team is doing their best given the circumstances but they sure inherited a Vietnam War of a game.

Holy poo poo Sunning, too soon.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

NikkolasKing posted:

I never understood this mentality. One of the best things, to me anyway, in an RPG is going from some schmuck at Level 1 with a Rusty Sword and a Fire spell that can barely singe something to a Level 99 badass wielding the Ancient Blade of Awesome and throwing around spells that can blow up the planet.

Seriously though, the game gave you all this cool stuff, why gimp yourself? I'd much rather just find a hack or mod that increases difficulty. That way I'm expected to use everything at my disposal just to survive. I never understood the full depths of FFVIII's mechanics until a mod made me realize there was a lot more to it than just slapping Curaga on your HP and destroying everything.

I'd agree if you leveled up in games at fixed story beats and each level offered interesting play-style changes, but as it is most FF games aren't meaningfully different at level 69 than it is 79 than it is 89 than it is 99, and each of those can take hours of likely-boring game play to reach.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Countblanc posted:

I'd agree if you leveled up in games at fixed story beats and each level offered interesting play-style changes, but as it is most FF games aren't meaningfully different at level 69 than it is 79 than it is 89 than it is 99, and each of those can take hours of likely-boring game play to reach.

On the other hand, you have Chrono Cross, which caps you at fixed story beats (well, at bosses, so more or less). The problem is that they didn't balance it very well so you have these notorious brick wall enemies like Garai, Miguel, or even Son of a Gun, and Dario's stats are so badly mismatched to yours that the suggested strategy for him is "trap his AI in an infinite loop of casting non-damaging spells." Fixed leveling (or capped leveling) requires extremely fine tuning. Chrono Cross does not feature this. Neither does a game like Valdis Story. Vagrant Story features a slight workaround if you're willing to grind like a teenager with infinite time, but even that was a huge offender because you could end up with awful stats thanks to that roulette garbage.

My problem with fixed levels is that most developers, even on the AAA pro circuit, are utterly incapable of balancing for it. I think open leveling is much better simply because it lets the player brute force things if they can't figure out exactly what you expect them to do.

Vernatio
Nov 13, 2015

Questionable!

NikkolasKing posted:

I never understood this mentality. One of the best things, to me anyway, in an RPG is going from some schmuck at Level 1 with a Rusty Sword and a Fire spell that can barely singe something to a Level 99 badass wielding the Ancient Blade of Awesome and throwing around spells that can blow up the planet.

Seriously though, the game gave you all this cool stuff, why gimp yourself? I'd much rather just find a hack or mod that increases difficulty. That way I'm expected to use everything at my disposal just to survive. I never understood the full depths of FFVIII's mechanics until a mod made me realize there was a lot more to it than just slapping Curaga on your HP and destroying everything.

I certainly think that adding self imposed challenges is cool. I did a solo of FF3 DS, and that took probably some of the most thought and care I've ever placed into a game (Apart from my other solos). I would have never used half the items and classes in the game if I wasn't forced to double back and analyze all my available assets to find solutions to problems I was having.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

FF13, of all things, does fixed levels alright, at least until you hit Pulse where hitting the cap is expensive and doing so makes you overpowered.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

On the other hand, you have Chrono Cross, which caps you at fixed story beats (well, at bosses, so more or less). The problem is that they didn't balance it very well so you have these notorious brick wall enemies like Garai, Miguel, or even Son of a Gun, and Dario's stats are so badly mismatched to yours that the suggested strategy for him is "trap his AI in an infinite loop of casting non-damaging spells." Fixed leveling (or capped leveling) requires extremely fine tuning. Chrono Cross does not feature this. Neither does a game like Valdis Story. Vagrant Story features a slight workaround if you're willing to grind like a teenager with infinite time, but even that was a huge offender because you could end up with awful stats thanks to that roulette garbage.

My problem with fixed levels is that most developers, even on the AAA pro circuit, are utterly incapable of balancing for it. I think open leveling is much better simply because it lets the player brute force things if they can't figure out exactly what you expect them to do.

It doesn't help that in the Dario fight they force Riddel into your party. I don't know if she's supposed to be good or not since I never used her otherwise but that fight made me vow NEVER to use her again. If she hadn't been there so I was gimped with only two decent party members, I might have been able to win without the AI trick.

AlphaKretin posted:

FF13, of all things, does fixed levels alright, at least until you hit Pulse where hitting the cap is expensive and doing so makes you overpowered.

Not too overpowered, though. I ended up spending a lot of my CP turning Snow into a Synergist to help with the Bart fight since he just loves debuffing you and relying on only Hope to get everyne back up to snuff was taking too long.

My memory of XIII is so weird. Bart 1 was my hardest boss in my first "I got no clue what I'm doing" run and Bart 2 was pathetically easy. On this run, I handed Bart 1 his rear end but got stuck on 2. All his attacks are weak as poo poo, too. I just get so flustered and determined to win as fast as humanly possible that I focus on attacking and then, oops, I died. SYNSnow helped compensate for that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

It doesn't help that in the Dario fight they force Riddel into your party. I don't know if she's supposed to be good or not since I never used her otherwise but that fight made me vow NEVER to use her again. If she hadn't been there so I was gimped with only two decent party members, I might have been able to win without the AI trick.

If you had never used her before, she would have had terrible stats because characters that aren't in your active party miss out on the mini level-ups that you get in between bosses. Also she's a white innate and so is Dario so she can't really damage him. She's at least good for healing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

I dunno I think it works well. It gives you the next tier of each main job and you'll get a good chunk of xp to fill them in but not enough to build up the main focus jobs. On the other hand you can get really far into the hunts if you want and fully fill in the grid, but then you'll hit a story progression gate so you actually have to go finish up the game in order to get access to the rest of the grid you need for the end hunts.

I think it's a really elegant solution when most games don't give you any reason to finish the story if your doing the endgame stuff and if you do all that stuff you'll be obscenely overpowered for the actual story content.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

NikkolasKing posted:

I never do them because they're usually more tedious than other challenges, but low-level runs require a lot of planning and strategy for games that usually don't need them, and force you to use items and abilities you would normally never think of using.

Also many ROM hacks are usually poorly balanced and even the better ROM hacks are generally made by complete weirdos. Just look at the FF7 translation guy, among others.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Mega64 posted:

I never do them because they're usually more tedious than other challenges, but low-level runs require a lot of planning and strategy for games that usually don't need them, and force you to use items and abilities you would normally never think of using.

Also many ROM hacks are usually poorly balanced and even the better ROM hacks are generally made by complete weirdos. Just look at the FF7 translation guy, among others.
Have you ever gone back and tried out any of the newer versions of Brave New World after your LP? I've been playing it over the past few months and I'm lateish in the world of ruin and that rom hack seems very well balanced and the dialed-back translation is nice (though there are still some questionable scenes).

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
I just googled final fantasy xv cid and seriously wtf

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

corn in the fridge posted:

I just googled final fantasy xv cid and seriously wtf

:greencube:

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Tae posted:

There's so many games coming out in the next couple of weeks, FF Explorers should not be a buy

Why? Is it just bad?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

LordVorbis posted:

Why? Is it just bad?

Who knows! SE seems to have a complete media lockdown of the game in the West, going as far as to not release a demo since apparently it got bashed hard in Japan and they're presumably worried about people not buying it once trying it. There's also basically zero reviews of the game (or weren't yesterday, I haven't looked today).

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I think his point is that there's so much else coming out around the same time, even in this increasingly niche genre, that it's not worth risking a game you're unsure about that Japan seems to hate.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Who knows! SE seems to have a complete media lockdown of the game in the West, going as far as to not release a demo since apparently it got bashed hard in Japan and they're presumably worried about people not buying it once trying it. There's also basically zero reviews of the game (or weren't yesterday, I haven't looked today).

A bunch went up today/yesterday

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/final-fantasy-explorers

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
#2 best 3ds game of 2016, you say?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A lot better than I was expecting, not that I actually trust reviews at all

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've put about 6 to 8 hours into FF Explorers.
It's just a mon hun clone, but it's very easy (I don't really like MonHun and certainly not good at them but this game makes all of MonHun seem extremely hard) and perhaps a little less obtuse. It's nice to have an FF flavour to it. I'm playing as a White Mage.

It's nothing at all spectacular or even noteworthy though.

Oh, and on an o3DS, the framerate is close to single digits in a full MP session.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 26, 2016

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yeah, tons of reviews for Explorers just dropped out all at the same time today. If you were wondering like me, the game is all right, nothing particularly brilliant, not rubbish either. That does not justify the lack of demo and the review embargo, but S-E is gonna S-E.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd probably pick it up in a normal month but Cold Steel, both EDFs and Gravity Rush Remastered are all out before next pay day.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Would you say it's worth buying or is it skippable? I'm going to trade-in Legend of Legacy today, more than likely, so I might pick up Explorers if it's worth it.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Would you say it's worth buying or is it skippable? I'm going to trade-in Legend of Legacy today, more than likely, so I might pick up Explorers if it's worth it.
When I asked if it's worth picking up cheap:

ImpAtom posted:

It's kind of mindless fun as I am so far. I'm playing a Monk and so my skill setup is basically "hit things really hard" "boost my damage" "a counter move where timing it does a lot of damage" and "a backstep that replenishes AP" and it's pretty fun to just chain-stomp my way through enemies. I've only fought a couple of big enemies but they've been pretty mediocre fights. It'd be better if I was doing the 4-player co-op. It really really is a poor Monster Hunter game unless it improves a lot from where I am though.
E:VVV The worst game in the series, even! :v:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
It's bad.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'd wait for it to get cheap, even with trade-in credit. ImpAtom's quoted evaluation falls into line with how I see it basically. I do like how it has a decent lock-on though, I don't know if MH4+ have that or anything but I missed it in MH3.

Dress up is fun too.

Suicide Pacmen
Mar 26, 2002

Rabbit season!
I'm buying it and you can't stop me

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
itt the lemmings all march off the cliff one by one

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'd wait for it to get cheap, even with trade-in credit. ImpAtom's quoted evaluation falls into line with how I see it basically. I do like how it has a decent lock-on though, I don't know if MH4+ have that or anything but I missed it in MH3.

Dress up is fun too.

Idk about other versions but MH4U had a lock on.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

In Training posted:

Idk about other versions but MH4U had a lock on.

That's good. I'll have a proper look at MH4U some time then and maybe it can be the MonHun I like as much as I want to like MonHun.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MH4U was the first one I played and I liked the gameplay a whole lot, but it would be nice if everything around actually hitting a monster didn't have to be looked up in the Monster Hunter wiki.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

In Training posted:

MH4U was the first one I played and I liked the gameplay a whole lot, but it would be nice if everything around actually hitting a monster didn't have to be looked up in the Monster Hunter wiki.

MH purists will tell you that's "part of the experience." I call bullshit.

Edit: I put 60 hours into MH4U my first one and I loved it. But it really could do with having a bunch of the "everyone knows this" poo poo included, even if it would be optional book purchases/etc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Having put more time into it:

Basically the game really is a beat 'em up. The core reward cycle in the game involves ability mutations. When you attack enemies you build up Resonance. Resonance, once it reaches 100 or more, has a chance of proccing a Crystal Burst. Once that activates your team gets a buff and certain abilities (marked in yellow) get a chance at an ability mutation. These can range from things like a self-buff adding extra buffs to attacks gaining elemental properties and so-on. There are tons of Crystal Burst types and each one can influence different skills. After you finish a mission you have the ability to 'buy' an upgraded skill with a mutation.

The Monk Boost ability for example by default just boosts attack and m.attk briefly. If it mutates it can gain a chance to apply haste or regen or float or whatever. You gain a new version of that skill (usually titled something like Boost2) which you can equip instead of the default. If THAT skill mutates then you can buy Boost3 and so-on. If you get the same mutation more than once you can increase its effectiveness instead or getting another skill. Each mutation is individual. If you proc Boost + Haste and Boost + Regen in a mission you can choose to buy both but you don't get Boost + Haste + Regen from the mission. If you mutate Haste one mission and Regen the next though you can get a boost with Haste and Regen, ect, ect.

Resonance builds when you attack enemies and drops when you're out of combat so you're basically encouraged to rush from enemy to enemy as fast as possible. Players in co-op share resonance as do your AI monster partners so it's easier to get cool abilities by grindin' with other people.

There's also the usual loot-for-gear but it's pretty lame. Unless I've missed something it's just 'enemy dies, you get a random piece of loot. Likewise enemies are all fairly basic. Bosses have various abilities and gimmicks but you mostly avoid them by running around and then attacking. (or, if you're a Monk, just counter-spam 90% of their poo poo which is hilarious.) It's a lot more like fighting an end-of-level beat 'em up boss than a real part-breaking Monster Hunter fight. There's aggro and stuff but it's fairly easily to manipulate.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That actually sounds fun to me. And this can all be played with online multiplayer? Good candidate for a discounted purchase a few months down the line.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

That actually sounds fun to me. And this can all be played with online multiplayer? Good candidate for a discounted purchase a few months down the line.

Yeah. The game has online multiplayer (and multiplayer is basically the only reason to play something like White Mage since other classes can learn Cure). You can also use AI monsters in single player but they are pretty braindead and got melted by every boss I faced so far.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The only bosses that have killed me are Diabolos and Fenrir because they hit hard and have gimmicks. They're more fun to fight than most enemies because of them, of course.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

AlphaKretin posted:

I think his point is that there's so much else coming out around the same time, even in this increasingly niche genre, that it's not worth risking a game you're unsure about that Japan seems to hate.

That's what I mean. There's going to be a barrage of incredible games for all genres and platforms in the next month that spending it on mediocre is a tough choice to make.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Those descriptions make the game sound more fun than MonHun, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

work the balls Sally
Feb 20, 2006
Even as you read this, I'm masturbating to my own post.
FFE sounds fun enough to give it a try, I'll go pick up a copy when the store opens in an hour, let's group up or something dudes.