Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I hope it has pedantic arguments about the definition of Metroidvania

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

CJacobs posted:

Meanwhile this thrilling debacle is happening on twitter.

Fascinatingly, the poll Pat made about it is neck and goddamned neck:

It's compression artifact salmon.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rodyle posted:

Wait what the gently caress is Odalius: The Dark Call

It's a 2D action/adventure from the makers of Oniken - not quite a metroidvania, closer to something like Demon's Crest.

They just announced a console port a day or so ago, or more specifically, they're in the process of porting the game to Unity so they can bring it to consoles.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CJacobs posted:

is pat trying to use twitter to win argumemts against his girlfriend again

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm catching up on the Old Hunters playthrough now that I'm near done with my own, and I like how you can practically hear Woolie's erection getting bigger as the Penultimate Boss fight progresses.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheRealestMatt posted:

I forgotten I had predicted that.

Liam and I really wanted to do the traditional list format, but at the end of the day we agreed to do this sorta video podcast thing. How do you guys feel about it?

I agree with the others that said it was a really good direction to go in. Most people's "games of the year" lists are just that: Lists. Having a sort of roundtable discussion about the games helps better illustrate just why you guys picked the games you did, especially in cases where more than one of you played the game being discussed.

EDIT: Also not that there would be anything wrong with doing top 10 lists either, but I agree the video podcast approach works better for the kind of format you guys have going.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 26, 2016

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

TheRealestMatt posted:

I forgotten I had predicted that.

Liam and I really wanted to do the traditional list format, but at the end of the day we agreed to do this sorta video podcast thing. How do you guys feel about it?

I feel like doing it podcast style was the better option. The solo lists last year were interesting conceptually because of the different approaches each of you made. However, I feel like something gets missed when you guys dont have the opportunity to discuss points of commonality as a group. Heck, that's why I'm a repeat customer. I also liked that while this years video was kinda similar in set up to the podcast, it had a very different tone.

Also, now that you've got the dual camera set up and the new mics, When's Vodcast?

E: The knowing looks from Woolz straight down the camera were awesome.

DPM fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 26, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't know if you know this Matt, but the Volition psp game was shown because Chip Cheezum, the goon that does Metal Gear/Platinum LPs here, found it randomly at work and got permission to show it.

(haven't listened to the podcast yet, egg on my face if it's mentioned)

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

CJacobs posted:

I reckon that's salmon, OP

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Yardbomb posted:

Shadowrun? It's good poo poo if so. Then Hong Kong manages to be even better!

I'm still kind of surprised at how those have just gotten better in each iteration, just building on and improving your game as you go forward feels like such an uncommon quality in developers by this point.

I finished Hong Kong yesterday, it's very fun. I thought it was better written than Dragonfall overall, although it peters out towards the end. Not that Dragonfall isn't good, but yeah, it's remarkable how they keep improving with every release.

On Transistor: I'm ambivalent. I felt it dropped the ball on the storytelling/narrative front, going for a Dark Souls-style "connect the dots" thing that I don't feel quite worked, between the emptiness of the world and your chatterbox sword. Gameplay-wise, it's good. Not as good as Bastion, and the system is very easy to explore, but it's good. On the other hand I loved everything else, I think it has a better style, overarching plot and music than Bastion, and I loved Bastion. Paper Boats is so good, guys, it's so fuckin' good.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Matt's shirt in this 2014 video is my Big Favorite

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Blockhouse posted:

The shark is a new version of Armaggon from the Archie Comics/TMNT Tournament Fighters

I'm so loving excited for Armaggon, I haven't seen him in video games since Tournament Fighters SNES

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
This is amazingly stupid I hope it's on today's podcast:

Why the hell does it talk?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Baal posted:

Rocksteady and the Shark Man are Hulk Davidson and Gran Bruce.

Fuuuuuuck. Here's to hoping when Rocksteady shows up he just bellows out "ROCKSTEADY IS IN THE HOOOOOOOOOOUSE"

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh THAT'S what Pat's color poll was about

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

A bit late but on future top 10 videos I think just showing the title card while talking would be better then suddenly cutting to trailers- some which are really freakin' long.

There's a number of times I had to check if the video stopped because there would be a sudden cut to black for it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

HGH posted:

This is amazingly stupid I hope it's on today's podcast:

Why the hell does it talk?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I laughed hard when Liam said reddit and neogaf are usually calm and collected

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh loving jesus I hope woolie doesn't do that twitch streamer garbage

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Rodyle posted:

Oh loving jesus I hope woolie doesn't do that twitch streamer garbage

Care to explain what ya mean? There is a couple of things in my head when I think that.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I dunno about you guys but detective Pikachu looks Kickin' rad.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Shindragon posted:

Care to explain what ya mean? There is a couple of things in my head when I think that.

He wants to use those subscriber alert things, the noises and putting poo poo on the screen. He's opened up for feedback on twitter and such though, so go tell him not to.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rodyle posted:

He wants to use those subscriber alert things, the noises and putting poo poo on the screen. He's opened up for feedback on twitter and such though, so go tell him not to.

Eh, it's not an issue if it's not a loud-rear end siren and a message as big as the screen. Lots of streamers do it discreetly. Stay always from text-to-voice tho, please.

edit: wrong order

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dias posted:

Eh, it's not an issue if it's not a loud-rear end siren and a message as big as the screen. Lots of streamers do it discreetly. Stay always from voice-to-text tho, please.

It tends to result in half the stream being "Thank for subscribing" and other similar comments though.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dias posted:

Eh, it's not an issue if it's not a loud-rear end siren and a message as big as the screen. Lots of streamers do it discreetly. Stay always from voice-to-text tho, please.

He wants to use a bunch of weird Darkest Dungeon voice clips the devs put out for streamer alerts.

A stream shouldn't be anything but the game and the streamers.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rodyle posted:

He wants to use a bunch of weird Darkest Dungeon voice clips the devs put out for streamer alerts.

A stream shouldn't be anything but the game and the streamers.

A stream is whatever the streamer wants it to be, as long as it's legal. I get it upsets you (I guess I filter it out), but it's kinda how the "job" works. I don't mind notifications if they're not intrusive and if the streamer doesn't stop everything he's doing to acknowledge a $5 donation in a screamy tone - a rare thing, granted, but it can be done.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I remember Matt doing something like that for his first stream with Tomb Raider, it was pretty low key. Now Bro team? That poo poo was obnoxious.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
The biggest thing is I hope that stream overlay/layout from the announcement video isn't final.

Do we really need 10% of the screen to be social media and website stuff, 10% being the ticker, another 10% being Twitch chat, and another 10% being the crew? It all screams "We're new at this! We need everything on here! Max does all this and he's popular, right?" If you wanna keep the scarecam, it's hard to see any of you guys from behind all the equipment on top of being incredibly tiny. It's kinda worse than Max's streaming layout, and his is pretty unfocused from both him and the game he's playing.

e: vvv I saw your Tomb Raider stream, and while it wasn't obnoxious, I think having that big empty area at the bottom was kinda useless for the most part, even if it was getting filled up by followers 50% of the time.

pulp rag fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 26, 2016

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

Shindragon posted:

I remember Matt doing something like that for his first stream with Tomb Raider, it was pretty low key. Now Bro team? That poo poo was obnoxious.

Well, I don't take donations and never will. The only alerts I get are when people follow me. I occasionally look at the screen to thank said person for following me. That's about it.

Rodyle, have you seen my stream? Is it obnoxious?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I watched part of Matt's Tenchu stream and he did pretty good job at calling out people only occasionally and the sounds were very discreet.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Speaking of twitch, who keeps putting twitch chat on the salty bet videos?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

TheRealestMatt posted:

I haven't, I guess I'll look at the archive later.

I'm sorry if I seem obstinate about it but my contact with that stuff makes it seem like roughly in the same realm as scarecams in youtube videos. I just don't think you guys NEED those kinds of gimmicks to cultivate viewers or whatever, you have a fanbase.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

Rodyle posted:

I haven't, I guess I'll look at the archive later.

I'm sorry if I seem obstinate about it but my contact with that stuff makes it seem like roughly in the same realm as scarecams in youtube videos. I just don't think you guys NEED those kinds of gimmicks to cultivate viewers or whatever, you have a fanbase.

Everyone wants to see Zach though. At least on my stream.

Tae posted:

Speaking of twitch, who keeps putting twitch chat on the salty bet videos?

I believe that was Woolie's call. But I might be mistaken.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TheRealestMatt posted:

Well, I don't take donations and never will. The only alerts I get are when people follow me. I occasionally look at the screen to thank said person for following me. That's about it.

I watched the Mandatory Dungeons stream and you might want to turn of the sounds related to the notifications, but otherwise the callouts were alright.

It took me way too long to realize what the hell was making the weird sound.

Maybe you already did this because I haven't seen your most recent stream.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Cats are good.

The chat is critical to the full Salt experience.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

TheRealestMatt posted:

I was more of saying if Woolie kept it to the way you did it would be fine is what I meant. I watched most of your stream and it was fine.

Bro team was stupid loud. Like if you somehow wanted to hear the game and them, you would have to deal with the LOUD blaring rear end sound they do every time someone donates.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

goddamn can't wait for the best games of 2015 video

hatred goty every year

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

TheRealestMatt posted:

I believe that was Woolie's call. But I might be mistaken.

Woolie needs to learn that twitch chat is worse than peak 4chan and should stop acknowledging it

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Could always drop the chat in favor for a running total of Bison Dollars. Go all out with it because why the gently caress not.

For Salty Bet, I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

I watched the Mandatory Dungeons stream and you might want to turn of the sounds related to the notifications, but otherwise the callouts were alright.

It took me way too long to realize what the hell was making the weird sound.

Maybe you already did this because I haven't seen your most recent stream.

The problem is, is that the majority of polls and data we've culled, sounds are always preferred, people just want them subtle. I think mine are subtle. Maybe? I also have 5 variations for the sounds that play, so not the same one goes off every single time, so people don't get tired of it.