Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I wanna talk about how much I love Gaia Gear, but I'm the only one who's watched those youtube translations of the Radio Drama so it would just be me monologuing.

And I know you never monologue.

That's okay, talk all you want, I love it too. Everyone should!

:can:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It's a known fact that Yazan had a short career in Federation TV entertainment post ZZ, sadly his situation comedy was canned after one episode because of his catch phrase.

And the constant junk touching of co-workers.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

oh shiiiit the radio drama's translated?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk34CGYxyvE&list=PLzUHn3DvU8oZlye-NOB77VqNHzmQIvYnJ

Someone calling himself (or herself) Affranchi Char has been translating them on youtube, up to episode 17 (out of 26) now.

The soundtrack is amazing, I like the characters and the story so far and the mech design is good and unique.
Affranchi is a pretty interesting protagonist, both trying to live up to the crazy expectations people have put on him and finding his own path in life rather than just being a Char Clone.
The support crew, Captain Madras and the Krishna and the other pilots, are pretty bro-tier.
The villain is Treize as gently caress and the scene where he speaks with Affranchi about his plans is pretty great.
Ul Urian is a smart villain with understandable motivations and I like almost all of his scenes, even when he goes all inferiority complex because he isn't a newtype.
Have I mentioned how much I love the soundtrack? Cause I do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfRku6aqf5o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLPxFAsodN8

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I've started listening to it several times and I just get distracted and stop within a couple of minutes every time. I don't know, it's just hard to read subs of a radio drama with nothing visual to keep my mind interested I guess. I love listening to English audio dramas on my phone as I walk around or whatever, but I can never quite seem to get in on this. I should try again, because I do want to give it a proper chance.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It'd be neat if there was a fan production to recreate the Gaia Gear radio play in English

I can't see myself having the patience to "watch" a subbed version

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Srice posted:

It'd be neat if there was a fan production to recreate the Gaia Gear radio play in English

I can't see myself having the patience to "watch" a subbed version

Yeah, I can't binge either, I just "watch" one at a time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

That's okay, talk all you want, I love it too. Everyone should!

:can:

Looks like an F-91 collided with a bird. Looks really neat though.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Sharkopath posted:

you won't win against the toy people, just let them have this thread too

*looks at self in mirror* WHO AM IIIIII

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Hey Choc, how quickly does Gaia Gear update? I've been wanting to get into it but do you think it would be better to wait until it's done?

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Droyer posted:

Hey Choc, how quickly does Gaia Gear update? I've been wanting to get into it but do you think it would be better to wait until it's done?

It seems to be pretty intermittent. As far as I can tell there's no schedule, it just occasionally pops up every few weeks or so on /m/.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's a known fact that Yazan had a short career in Federation TV entertainment post ZZ, sadly his situation comedy was canned after one episode because of his catch phrase.

And the constant junk touching of co-workers.
Thankfully, his fried chicken business venture was enough to keep him employed and afloat in a post-war society.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

Thankfully, his fried chicken business venture was enough to keep him employed and afloat in a post-war society.

There were some very close calls during the Fast Food wars when Brights Burgers started using GM's for delivery purposes but they scraped by.

Lanz
May 30, 2013
Gaia Gear designs are pretty awesome:

A bit stockier than I normally like mobile suit designs, but still awesome

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Lanz posted:

Gaia Gear designs are pretty awesome:

A bit stockier than I normally like mobile suit designs, but still awesome

Not loving the colors here. That is an ugly yellow

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Reds posted:

It seems to be pretty intermittent. As far as I can tell there's no schedule, it just occasionally pops up every few weeks or so on /m/.

Yeah, it doesn't update often. Still, more than half is done.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Just finished the first episode of Thunderbolt. I never knew how much I needed jazz and robots. Do we know what rate the episodes are coming out?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

Just finished the first episode of Thunderbolt. I never knew how much I needed jazz and robots. Do we know what rate the episodes are coming out?

We know the next one's in February. That's about it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Has anyone here read Crossbone Gundam?

I ask because we wee talking about "the best Zabi" elsewhere and someone put forth Dozle as a better choice than Garma because Garma was just as crazy as Gihren and Kycillia, all based on some crazy Newtype lab that apparently is from Crossbone.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Has anyone here read Crossbone Gundam?

I ask because we wee talking about "the best Zabi" elsewhere and someone put forth Dozle as a better choice than Garma because Garma was just as crazy as Gihren and Kycillia, all based on some crazy Newtype lab that apparently is from Crossbone.

In one of the chapters in Crossbone: Skullheart, Crossbone's more comedic sequel, the heroes fought against newtype monkeys from a lab that Garma proposed and funded. I didn't like the chapter that much. I'm all for silly stuff but it read like a weird fanfic.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
That describes Crossbone all over though. It don't think it matters how you describe the manga, it's going to come off like someone's fanfic. Some day I'd love to see production notes for what Tomino had actually planned with F91, it's background notes, what the original plan was, what was cut, what wasn't and why, whether they made up any new stuff when they were told it'd be a film instead just to try and have the film make some degree of sense and so on. It's always fun seeing that stuff for shows in general, but there's very little of it that's been translated for Gundam sadly - whether that's because there's just very little of it or no-one has translated more I don't know.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

tsob posted:

That describes Crossbone all over though. It don't think it matters how you describe the manga, it's going to come off like someone's fanfic.

The original Crossbone gives Tomino writing credit, though. I'd assume it was just courtesy to the creator of the franchise, but none of the sequels do, which leads me to assume Tomino actually was involved in writing it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I think the rest of F91 is explained in like two pages of summary at the start of Crossbones.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Droyer posted:

The original Crossbone gives Tomino writing credit, though. I'd assume it was just courtesy to the creator of the franchise, but none of the sequels do, which leads me to assume Tomino actually was involved in writing it.

Putting aside that Hasegawa was himself involved in writing it too, that doesn't actually make it feel any less like a fan-fiction. This is a story that takes the central cast of a production and makes them supporting characters to a new and even more awesome character. One who is not only younger, but a better pilot as well as a bit of a McGuyver in general, who manages to have plans in place or think them up for even the most extra-ordinary circumstances like facing a mobile suit on foot. The central plot of the conflict of the series it's based on turns out to only be part of a much bigger whole that this new character must take the reins in stopping. He even manages to one up computer copies of previous Gundam pilots.

It's good, but that doesn't make it sound less like fan-fiction when you try and describe it.

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy

tsob posted:

Putting aside that Hasegawa was himself involved in writing it too, that doesn't actually make it feel any less like a fan-fiction. This is a story that takes the central cast of a production and makes them supporting characters to a new and even more awesome character. One who is not only younger, but a better pilot as well as a bit of a McGuyver in general, who manages to have plans in place or think them up for even the most extra-ordinary circumstances like facing a mobile suit on foot. The central plot of the conflict of the series it's based on turns out to only be part of a much bigger whole that this new character must take the reins in stopping. He even manages to one up computer copies of previous Gundam pilots.

It's good, but that doesn't make it sound less like fan-fiction when you try and describe it.

You could say most of that about Zeta Gundam, and no one seemed to mind it then.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gao posted:

You could say most of that about Zeta Gundam, and no one seemed to mind it then.

Crossbone is much more poorly written and has absolutely awful artwork.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gao posted:

I don't think you could. Kamille is older than Amuro and while he might be a stronger newtype he's also a less skilled pilot than Amuro becomes during his series, despite Kamille having more experience at the start of his series. Kamille is also a rather flawed character and while a given viewer might prefer him to Amuro, he doesn't come off as made to one up him or anyone else. He certainly doesn't beat any computer simulations of previous Gundam pilots in combat either. Nor is he any kind of a McGuyver and he regularly needs to be bailed from trouble by others throughout the show, both in and out of mobile suit combat. I also wouldn't say that the plot of Zeta made 0079's villains only a ploy by a larger enemy the way Crossbone made F91's plot.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The better question really is which Newtype has the best hair?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Haman.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Haman's hair is an interesting color and shape.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah, contest over.

Not exactly winning a war or power over Zeon remnants.

Now which Gundam.

Nevermind, Tallgeese.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah, contest over.

Not exactly winning a war or power over Zeon remnants.

Now which Gundam.

Nevermind, Tallgeese.

Tallgeese isn't a gundam.

The best gundam is the turn-a

Droyer fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 26, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Droyer posted:

Tallgeese isn't a gundam.

The best gundam is the turn-a

Hair not facial hair dude.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Hair not facial hair dude.

A Nadleeh fan then?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i like how the wing gundam is basically the least relevant robot in all of gundam wing

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I like wing gundam a lot. It gets the short end of the stick in the show tho.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Gao posted:

tobia has zero character growth, unlike kamille

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

muike posted:

tobia has zero character growth, unlike kamille

Counterpoint: Kamille's character growth is completely erratic, and he'll go from bratty teenager that punches people for existing to WAR AND VIOLENCE ARE BAD and back depending entirely on what the episode needs. Or sometimes, just for the sake of having Kamille punch someone.

At least Tobia's personality is consistent.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm pretty sure Heero has a higher kill count with a Leo than the Wing Gundam, who he wastes a Buster Shot on like 3 grunts before leaving it in the middle of the battlefield like it was garbage.

For a super hardcore soldier, he was the least logical in military tactics apparently.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Counterpoint: Kamille's character growth is completely erratic, and he'll go from bratty teenager that punches people for existing to WAR AND VIOLENCE ARE BAD and back depending entirely on what the episode needs. Or sometimes, just for the sake of having Kamille punch someone.

At least Tobia's personality is consistent.

I think the one and only time Kamille says violence isn't the answe is when Wong is nearly beating him to death. Kamille might punch people but the poo poo Wong does to him is just loving brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Wong is an rear end in a top hat. An rear end in a top hat with a lot of money.

I still find it hilarious even Amuro got caught in his assholery crossfire.