Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Graic Gabtar posted:

Some interesting comments.

Not really into the whole Australia Day malarkey. It always seems a bit of a wank-fest. However, I do enjoy the the day off and the BBQ we traditionally have at the local park. Probably worth a bit of a nod to the the good and not so good parts of history though.

Still a bit of a mystery to me why people seem to get so much joy on getting so down on poo poo but each to their own I guess.

Sup Graic, I just wanted to clarify what you're actually talking about here. What is "the whole Australia Day malarkey" that constitutes the wank-fest? Do you mean people who want the date to be changed, or call it Invasion Day? Or just non-Aboriginal people who want the date to be changed, or call it Invasion Day? Or is the malarkey actually the people who are happy with the holiday as-is getting all defensive about it?

Second, if the Australian people can accept giving a nod to both the good and the not so good parts of history, do you think that's worth changing the date of the holiday, to actually acknowledge the harm of that one not-so-good day? Or do you mean the date should stay the same precisely because it evokes some not-so-good things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Courtney Barnett is annoying as gently caress and can't sing.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Bifauxnen posted:

Sup Graic, I just wanted to clarify what you're actually talking about here. What is "the whole Australia Day malarkey" that constitutes the wank-fest? Do you mean people who want the date to be changed, or call it Invasion Day? Or just non-Aboriginal people who want the date to be changed, or call it Invasion Day? Or is the malarkey actually the people who are happy with the holiday as-is getting all defensive about it?

Second, if the Australian people can accept giving a nod to both the good and the not so good parts of history, do you think that's worth changing the date of the holiday, to actually acknowledge the harm of that one not-so-good day? Or do you mean the date should stay the same precisely because it evokes some not-so-good things?

Hi Bifauxnen, long time no chat.

Park/phone posting so forgive me in advance.

The malarkey is the over the top nationalism. I have no objection to a bit a flag waving but a lot of it is just pass the bucket time. You can be proud of Australia (well I can be) without looking like dickheads. Ironically the only people here who are doing the flag thing are a clan of Indians having a kick arse time and a family who would not meet this forum's definition of 'white'. They were really nice as well and very grateful went I loaned them all my BBQ gear as they had accidentally left it at home, but I digress. I have no problem with people raising the significance of the day for indigenous people. And I can appreciate that point of view. I do struggle to understand why seem people want out-emo each other in some kind of orgy of self-harm.

As for the date itself? Unfortunately for people here I would in no way die in a ditch for it, but I don't think it needs to be changed. If it was moved a week would people still not equate that celebration to invasion? Are we going to chop and change it until we finally land on 25th December so no one gives a crap either way?

I think your last sentence should sums it up. You can't deny the history. You can't deny the date. Just make people face into it or you're just fiddling around the edges. You're not going to get a better date to have the discussion.

Let me now just duck off back home to slip into my asbestos suit

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

How did Depreston only get to 82? What a poo poo country.

We let Cosby Sweater become a hit.

After the allegations about him came out. And not even a while after either, it was REALLY close. So we let a lovely rap that namedropped someone just ousted as a rapist become a hit single.

After that, I think we proved that Australia just shouldn't do music.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Amurca bringing us up again

quote:

Los Angeles: US presidential hopeful Ted Cruz's claim sexual assaults on women in Australia went up significantly after strict gun laws were introduced has been challenged by a Washington Post analysis.

Senator Cruz said on high-profile American radio host Hugh Hewitt's show on January 12 Australia's post-Port Arthur massacre gun legislation meant women were unable to defend themselves from being raped.

The Washington Post's Fact Checker column examined Senator Cruz's comment and on Monday rated it a "whopper" of a factual error, the highest rating on its "Pinocchio Test".

"And as you know, Hugh, after Australia did that [gun buyback program], the rate of sexual assaults, the rate of rapes, went up significantly, because women were unable to defend themselves," Mr Cruz told the radio host.

"There's nothing that criminals or terrorists like more than unarmed victims."

Conservative candidate Senator Cruz is Donald Trump's biggest rival for the Republican presidential nomination.

The gun debate has become a hot button issue in the presidential race, with Republican candidates like Senator Cruz and the National Rifle Association attacking President Barack Obama and Democrat hopeful Hillary Clinton's references to Australia's firearm laws.

The Washington Post analysis found no significant spike or drop but a gradual increase in sexual assault rates over the decade after the 1996 changes in Australia.

The increase was likely affected by a rise in the reporting of sexual assaults and there wasn't prevalent use of handguns for self-defence before 1996, as Senator Cruz suggested, the newspaper concluded.

"The rates didn't go up 'significantly' after the buyback and there's no evidence changes to gun laws in Australia affected sexual assault rates or jeopardised the ability of women to protect themselves," the Washington Post told readers.

The newspaper spoke to Samara McPhedran, senior research fellow at Australia's Griffith University and chair of the International Coalition of Women in Shooting and Hunting.

The Post also examined research by the Harvard Injury Control Research Center, Australian Institute of Criminology, Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, the Law Library of Congress, Christine Neill, economics professor at Canada's Wilfrid Laurier University and Andrew Leigh, an Australian MP and former Australian National University economics professor.

The newspaper also concluded given gun culture in Australia and the US is not comparable, including carrying concealed guns and the ability to carry firearms for self-defence, "politicians should refrain from attributing good or bad changes in Australian crime rates to the buyback program or to the legislative package".

"We also warn politicians on both sides of the gun debate about making broad assertions about Australia to justify policy arguments for the United States," the Post concluded.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/wor...l#ixzz3yJvSYFzM
Follow us: @canberratimes on Twitter | CanberraTimes on Facebook

something something 3 foot tall lebanese woman with mace something

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
gently caress australia day

that is all

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Well then don't bring up Jesus to me. It was a long time ago, get over it.

Graic, "making people face up to it" seems to be the problem. Of course you don't have the answer, no one does, that's how privilege wins by default. The irony here is that the same people demanding their complacent amnesia for one invasion are screaming about another invasion:

How dare they not integrate to our satisfaction, why it's as if they have an opinion about our culture! Protect the rights of 8 year old bogans and their Australia Day tattoos! You culturalists!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Courtney Barnett is Melbourne as gently caress.

And boring as gently caress as well

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Courtney Barnett is monotonous as gently caress.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
gently caress this awful country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWIXZzg2KJI

post tism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr67Jp2Ylx0

gently caress you

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Graic Gabtar posted:

Hi Bifauxnen, long time no chat.

Park/phone posting so forgive me in advance.

The malarkey is the over the top nationalism. I have no objection to a bit a flag waving but a lot of it is just pass the bucket time. You can be proud of Australia (well I can be) without looking like dickheads. Ironically the only people here who are doing the flag thing are a clan of Indians having a kick arse time and a family who would not meet this forum's definition of 'white'. They were really nice as well and very grateful went I loaned them all my BBQ gear as they had accidentally left it at home, but I digress. I have no problem with people raising the significance of the day for indigenous people. And I can appreciate that point of view. I do struggle to understand why seem people want out-emo each other in some kind of orgy of self-harm.

As for the date itself? Unfortunately for people here I would in no way die in a ditch for it, but I don't think it needs to be changed. If it was moved a week would people still not equate that celebration to invasion? Are we going to chop and change it until we finally land on 25th December so no one gives a crap either way?

I think your last sentence should sums it up. You can't deny the history. You can't deny the date. Just make people face into it or you're just fiddling around the edges. You're not going to get a better date to have the discussion.

Let me now just duck off back home to slip into my asbestos suit

Haha, I'm really glad I asked now, cause I was thinking that was vague enough to interpret it a few different ways, but my pessimism combined with your last paragraph had me thinking you might be eye-rolling at the Invasion Day crowd instead.

I don't even mind people actually making the most of their day off, (I'm kicking back and having fun with a forums Mafia game myself) it only gets me mad when someone gets so defensive about it that they actively poo poo on anyone trying to raise the issue of Invasion Day. If they just acknowledged that yes, the choice of day is really lovely and it would be a good idea to move it, (or maybe keep it a holiday and rename it, while getting a NEW BONUS HOLIDAY for patriotic junk) and yes, our "black armband history" still actually matters in the present day, then maybe they could genuinely not have anything to feel guilty about. Instead of having to loudly protest too much to try and prove how they shouldn't be made to feel guilty.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

As a non-whitey I'm gonna stay indoors tomorrow.

What's your family, dawg?

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

I like the one with the kangaroo making GBS threads out Aus the most

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

cat doter posted:

gently caress australia day

that is all

I got a day off work, it's pretty rad m8.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Halo14 posted:

I got a day off work, it's pretty rad m8.

days off are pretty good

who changed my dang avatar, god damnit

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Thank you patriotic avatar buyer.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Anidav posted:

cat doter posted:

days off are pretty good

who changed my dang avatar, god damnit

Looks like someone has been invading your avatars #invasionday

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

Crikey!

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I used to think australia was ok but this avatar is making me reconsider things

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Malkers, Coles is doing a recall on malk

#thereABC posted:

WA milk contamination worries spark mass recall

Microbial contamination fears have forced one of Western Australia's biggest dairy manufacturers to recall hundreds of thousands of litres of milk products.

Coles, which processes its home brand milk with Lion, has asked people to return one-litre cartons of fresh full cream and 98 per cent fat free hilo milk that expire on February 6.

Lion, which also manufactures the Pura and Masters brands, say a range of their Pura hilo, Masters flavoured and Farmers Federation iced coffees that expire on February 7 must not be consumed.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
i like that the verse in my custom title is a) the one noone remembers and b) still relevant today!

I'm going to go and eat Vietnamese food now; may you all Have A Day

edit: established 26/01/1901 lol

Goodpart fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 26, 2016

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Catallaxy asks the hilarious question:

quote:

What is it about Australia’s cultural cringe that we need a Government-mandated Australian of the Year? A person who gets a platform to espouse a cause, who gets an award for advocacy rather than achievement?

The Americans, British, French, Germans and so forth do not feel the need for the Government to designate one of their citizens as an American of the Year, Briton of the Year etc. Sure, there are awards given by the Time of London, Esquire magazine, Cosmopolitan and so forth. Let there be private awards but please spare us the sanctimony of allowing one person to preach to us from the Government-designated pulpit.

Surely a reasonable savings measure is to eliminate this award.

Oh no, they keep picking the Wrong Australians :allears: Surely an appropriate cultural cringe would be to, say, knight a monarch.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 26, 2016

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

cat doter posted:

I used to think australia was ok but this avatar is making me reconsider things

OK.

Birb Katter posted:

Malkers, Coles is doing a recall on malk

That's a paddlin'

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I really liked my avatar, and australia took it away from me

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

ewe2 posted:

Catallaxy asks the hilarious question:

Oh no, they keep picking the Wrong Australians :allears: Surely an appropriate cultural cringe would be to, say, knight a monarch.

You just know we wouldn't be hearing from them if Abbott was made Aussie of the Year and he did a rambling speech on how Muslims sacrifice Christian children.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Starshark posted:

You just know we wouldn't be hearing from them if Abbott was made Aussie of the Year and he did a rambling speech on how Muslims sacrifice Christian children.

Half the thread calls out Goodes for being a "sookboy", Batty for being a non-entity until she won, and Morrison is trying "too hard" with his Lefty Agenda. The Council should be disbanded, it's a waste of money of course.

And then their mate Henry Ergas gets an AO and it's all "Arise Sir Henry", I kid you not.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
avatar-buyer, you do know that Federation was 1/1/1901, and it starts "Australians all let us rejoice"

right?

right?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Mithranderp posted:

avatar-buyer, you do know that Federation was 1/1/1901, and it starts "Australians all let us rejoice"

They're doing the whole song avatar by avatar, in the original lyrics, not the 1984 version.

edit: Cmon man you forgot verse 2, are you a good little colonial or not?

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 26, 2016

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Hmm yes a person who literally belongs in the 1870s

I'd completely forgotten about the old version...rightly so, because it's poo poo.

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 26, 2016

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
Let me say something overly sophisticated; People don't know poo poo.

Sorry it has been a rough day, I'm drinking over the thought of a very ill close family member and it is a hard day.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
av check

e: nope, still that loving dog

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Good to see people still rocking the Dooooooooooooooogatar

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Mmmm yes

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Man Australia is shaped really weirdly

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Recoome posted:

Man Australia is shaped really weirdly

It blew my mind that the Great Australian Bight is actually called that officially, it's not just a pet name.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

gay picnic defence posted:

av check

e: nope, still that loving dog

I miss my dog avatar.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I will always have my dog.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

And as the BBQs wind down and the partners sit disgusted on the verandah, the argument between rememberer and forgetter continues because the rememberers just keep posting hurtful memes on fb:

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Anidav posted:

I will always have my dog.

I hate to break this to you...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip
Please cleanse your palate after the Stan Grant speech with this utter refuse from noted piece of poo poo and Herald Sun columnist (trans: noted piece of poo poo) Rita Panahi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34wplH4Sb-k

• Locked thread