Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
I'm not sure who mentioned it earlier but pressing the home key to turn off the hud is pretty neato

:pcgaming:

Do wish there were some kind of free camera tools for better screenshots, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Is it possible to progress too early and screw yourself, or am I missing something here?

I just started this game, did a couple of the side quests in the first region but I'm sure I missed a ton. Got the the 2nd region at level 3, the main quest said I should be level 5 so I started doing notice board stuff. But I've run out of food and haven't found anyone that sells more. Also I'd been using all my money on food and repairs while not making nearly as much so I'm broke. I'm down to my last raw meats. I try to get through fights without taking damage but trading hits feels inevitable in some fights.

In other witcher games I'd use potions. I tried swallow but it lasted me all of 1 griffin fight and I don't have the right alcohol or drowner brains to make any more. I know you can craft the alcohol used in the swallow recipe, but it required 2 of an alcohol that cost half as much plus other ingredients. And that alcohol was really expensive, I'd be better off buying plums, potatoes, and whatnot.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sanctum posted:

Is it possible to progress too early and screw yourself, or am I missing something here?

I just started this game, did a couple of the side quests in the first region but I'm sure I missed a ton. Got the the 2nd region at level 3, the main quest said I should be level 5 so I started doing notice board stuff. But I've run out of food and haven't found anyone that sells more. Also I'd been using all my money on food and repairs while not making nearly as much so I'm broke. I'm down to my last raw meats. I try to get through fights without taking damage but trading hits feels inevitable in some fights.

In other witcher games I'd use potions. I tried swallow but it lasted me all of 1 griffin fight and I don't have the right alcohol or drowner brains to make any more. I know you can craft the alcohol used in the swallow recipe, but it required 2 of an alcohol that cost half as much plus other ingredients. And that alcohol was really expensive, I'd be better off buying plums, potatoes, and whatnot.

Meditating refreshes all your potions :) You aren't making consumables, you're making a permanent potion/bomb you can refresh. Everyone that plays this game has the same reaction I'm pretty sure.

Edit: Meditating once refreshes EVERYTHING at the same time whether you have it equipped or not, so you might as well use every potion and bomb in your inventory if you're planning on doing it :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 25, 2016

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Consider the alchemy items basically powerful reusable "spells" that require crafting to unlock and whose limited charges are replenished whenever you meditate. So long as you have alcohest or some other sufficiently strong alcohol in your inventory, that is. Loot all bottles of dwarven spirits and alcohest you find and you're set.

You can't spam them willy-nilly like you can signs but unless you tend to ignore lootables you don't really ever run out of them the way you might with food, which can get prohibitively expensive if you're just starting out. As you've discovered.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

How do you run out of food

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
On hard you don't heal passively so you need food/potions every time you take damage. And the enemies are a bit tankier than normal, I assume.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I know, I played on hard. Food is bountiful and I never even came close to running out.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Maybe try to go back to White Orchard and kill wolf packs for meat or something but that may also be dangerous at your level. You have to basically somehow power through this because you will never ever have food/drink problems in the later game and you'll get rich too. It seems you haven't been looting everything in sight which is something you should be doing early on.

Worst case scenario turn the difficulty temporarily down so that you can heal by meditating and then put it back up when you level up a bit and have more resources.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Regy Rusty posted:

I know, I played on hard. Food is bountiful and I never even came close to running out.

At the start when the game deems you Unworthy Of Healing you can run out of food keeping alive but once you get lucky with the drowner brains that is never a problem again.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Death March is weird because it starts out brutally difficult but then turns into a cakewalk later. Witcher 2 is kind of the same where near the end Geralt is nearly unstoppable. Maybe it's because they didn't really expect builds that are super well made and balanced for using no skills?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I noticed that food and drink no longer run concurrently. You can eat something and drink something and you only get one timer. Is that because I'm on death march?

Used to be I could pound a water and dumpling and get both effects for ten seconds.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Sanctum posted:

As mentioned there are a couple of mechanics you're not making full use of.

The basic recipe for alchemy stuff will produce a rechargeable "container" item. You don't need to gather more herbs, monster parts, and special alcohol to craft more swallow, all you need to do is meditate. Meditating will consume one unit of hard alcohol (can be anything, just need some liquor) to refill ALL your alchemy items. So you shouldn't be afraid to use alchemy, it's very cheap and convenient to replenish.

Meditating also heals you to full, unless you are on one of the two highest difficulties. Just meditate to heal instead of using food, unless you're on Blood and Broken Bones or Death March in which case yeah you're going to need to rely on food more for the first few levels.

If you're on one of the hardest difficulties, I strongly recommend getting the Sun and Stars generic ability (remember to slot it, it won't do anything unless you put it in an open ability slot). This will give you passive healing during daylight and passive stamina regen at night, it's very helpful for the early game.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Pellisworth posted:

As mentioned there are a couple of mechanics you're not making full use of.

The basic recipe for alchemy stuff will produce a rechargeable "container" item. You don't need to gather more herbs, monster parts, and special alcohol to craft more swallow, all you need to do is meditate. Meditating will consume one unit of hard alcohol (can be anything, just need some liquor) to refill ALL your alchemy items. So you shouldn't be afraid to use alchemy, it's very cheap and convenient to replenish.

Meditating also heals you to full, unless you are on one of the two highest difficulties. Just meditate to heal instead of using food, unless you're on Blood and Broken Bones or Death March in which case yeah you're going to need to rely on food more for the first few levels.

If you're on one of the hardest difficulties, I strongly recommend getting the Sun and Stars generic ability (remember to slot it, it won't do anything unless you put it in an open ability slot). This will give you passive healing during daylight and passive stamina regen at night, it's very helpful for the early game.

All this is right, in addition get the upgraded quen sign, it will give you a damage absorbing shield.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 25, 2016

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
In general, quen is your friend. Also, going back to white orchard and exploring all the question marks is a great way to start off right. As well as stalk up on drowners brains and lesser mutagens.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

WoodrowSkillson posted:

All this is right, in addition get the upgraded quen sign, it will give you a damage absorbing shield.

gently caress shields, dodge and roll and stab them in the butt :darksouls:

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I noticed that food and drink no longer run concurrently. You can eat something and drink something and you only get one timer. Is that because I'm on death march?

Used to be I could pound a water and dumpling and get both effects for ten seconds.

Yeah I noticed this change a couple of patches ago, can't remember which. It's on all difficulties.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Nasgate posted:

In general, quen is your friend. Also, going back to white orchard and exploring all the question marks is a great way to start off right. As well as stalk up on drowners brains and lesser mutagens.

This thread isn't the same without Sharmat, but on the plus side, quenshaming is down by 90% or so.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Sanctum posted:

But I've run out of food and haven't found anyone that sells more. Also I'd been using all my money on food and repairs while not making nearly as much so I'm broke. I'm down to my last raw meats.

Everyone forgets that you can go back to White Orchard and kill the cows in the pen near the crossing where you first enter the village. Plenty of delicious meat and the cowhides sell for decent coin. Slaughter them all, loot, meditate for an hour to make them respawn, repeat. :hampants:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

mcbexx posted:

Everyone forgets that you can go back to White Orchard and kill the cows in the pen near the crossing where you first enter the village. Plenty of delicious meat and the cowhides sell for decent coin. Slaughter them all, loot, meditate for an hour to make them respawn, repeat. :hampants:

until the BDF shows up, this was an exploit fixed pretty early on :v:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Pellisworth posted:

until the BDF shows up, this was an exploit fixed pretty early on :v:

thats what he was trying to have happen dummy lol

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Aren't you supposed to do that for red mutagens? Then again, at the point when you can farm them you really don't need food anymore.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I'm reaaaaaaaally fukken tired of all the cut scenes and cinematic in this game.

Now my game keeps crashing on loading. loving Dandelion.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 26, 2016

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I'm reaaaaaaaally fukken tired of all the cut scenes and cinematic in this game.

Now my game keeps crashing on loading. loving Dandelion.

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/66/

You're playing on PC right? That gets rid of the recap scenes. You can skip cutscenes too.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Looking for some mod recommendations for a single, pretty comprehensive playthrough. I'm playing for the great writing, quests and characters. The combat is far better than good enough for my purposes, so not looking for major changes in that kind gameplay other than leveling, for which I plan to use the leveling mod mentioned a few pages back with 0.5/0.6 quest/monster xp multipliers (those sound good enough?).

Fumblemouse posted:

I use http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/642/ to tweak XP rate to make sure I'm always at or near level for sidequests (Not a big fan of replays, so I like to get as much out of a single runthrough as I can).

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah, I've done unmodded playthroughs on regular and NG+ deathmarch and really this is a good idea if you're not keen on doing a 100+ hour playthrough twice or more.
I'm looking for quality-of-life mods that leave the core game alone and improve UI/interaction - here's what I have so far, sorted in decreasing interest. Do any of these mess up your game long-term? Any others you would recommend in this vein?
Customize Combat XP and Quest XP Gain
AutoLoot - No Thievery
Enhanced Menus
All Quest Objectives On Map
Colored Map Markers
Remove Cleared Markers
Friendly HUD

I played the game for 40 hours on release before getting pulled away. It's interesting how much more optimized the engine is at 1.12. I had to make a lot of choices on an AMD 7970 OC back then. Now I'm running everything on Ultra on the same hardware with hair effects disabled and it's silky smooth, smoother even than when I was making compromises back then. It's great how much CDP have put into this game after release.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
The fast travel from anywhere mod is basically required for quality of life gameplay. It'll cut a good 20 hours off of your 100 hour playthough.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

koreban posted:

The fast travel from anywhere mod is basically required for quality of life gameplay. It'll cut a good 20 hours off of your 100 hour playthough.
Useful suggestion, thanks, but digging around makes it seem like I may end up missing some quest triggers so I may use the mod after the first run is done.

I've now added and merged in all of that list except Friendly Hud, which conflicts with quite a few of the others and is overall far more intrusive. It seems more useful if you're playing on the keyboard and I'm planning to use the controller. Is the keyboard superior? I love the Souls games, for eg., and I find the controller better for this kind of action game.

Half tempted to make a single merge mod like in other games - it would make merging new things in easier and you don't have to manage mod priority, but it's then harder to take stuff out. Decisions.

Edit: Maintaining one's own merge mod where you merge everything into one mod like say, gamedata merging in STALKER, is looking more appealing. Some nice little mods are just a few line tweaks to mapMenu.ws and I'm merging those into AQO's version of the file as is. The downside is having to deal with a patch update, though I could just merge CDP changes myself I guess. It's really cool that CDP have made source available. Hopefully this game will have the longevity and extensive modding of games like STALKER.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 26, 2016

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

v1ld posted:

Useful suggestion, thanks, but digging around makes it seem like I may end up missing some quest triggers so I may use the mod after the first run is done.

Just make sure you've actually left a quest area after you're done with it. Ask yourself "have I reached an area from which the devs would have trouble anticipating in which direction I'd go next?" and if yes, travel away. Never failed me. The one quest people have problems with is leaving Whoreson's hideout after having your chit-chat with him and, personally, I found it pretty loving obvious that I might gently caress myself if I teleport out of there. Just don't travel until after you've completely exited his compound. Run to a fast travel sign if you're really paranoid.

Otherwise you'll be fine and you're literally saving yourself a day's worth of life not spent on tedious bullshit. You really, really want to use this.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

koreban posted:

I have to come out very very strongly against this mod; being able to fast travel from anywhere, *especially* on a first playthrough, makes it way way too easy to break stuff forever.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't use the mod out of fear of that but I'd have liked to, the fast travel system sucks. It's especially annoying having the post at Crow's Perch be outside Crow's Perch.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 26, 2016

The Belgian Devil
May 3, 2008

Ca plane pour moi
I didn't mind the limitations of the Fast Travel system, other than the fact you have to get off your horse to use the posts.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The Belgian Devil posted:

I didn't mind the limitations of the Fast Travel system, other than the fact you have to get off your horse to use the posts.

I never ride the horse unless a quest requires it. It is more trouble than it's worth for me.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't use the mod out of fear of that but I'd have liked to, the fast travel system sucks. It's especially annoying having the post at Crow's Perch be outside Crow's Perch.

It's not great, but some of those quests are so complicated already, it would be so so so much harder if we had to account for the player being able to ft from anywhere. That said, hopefully we do better in the future.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

It's not great, but some of those quests are so complicated already, it would be so so so much harder if we had to account for the player being able to ft from anywhere. That said, hopefully we do better in the future.

The Crows Perch one and then Novigrad are the only actual problem areas. Anything else is pretty drat nearby to markers, and most of the furthest reaching quests have markers associated with them. Should just have one by the Baron's house that you unlock when you meet him, and a couple more in Novigrad, near Hattori and near Dijkstra.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The Crows Perch one and then Novigrad are the only actual problem areas. Anything else is pretty drat nearby to markers, and most of the furthest reaching quests have markers associated with them. Should just have one by the Baron's house that you unlock when you meet him, and a couple more in Novigrad, near Hattori and near Dijkstra.

The problem with Crow's Perch is that at some point in the Baron's questline, there are events and scenes we really want the player to experience and see from a distance. If we put it closer, you'd miss it. Of course, the solution is to just put the FT point closer and then when the player travels there during that spot in the quest, we intercept that and spawn the player outside instead. It might be momentarily disorienting, but I think worth the cost for the playability. But that's the kind of insight it's easy to have after it's released, but very hard to see when neck deep in bugs and literally nothing works. Like I said, next game, or maybe if there is a rerelease or something.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

The problem with Crow's Perch is that at some point in the Baron's questline, there are events and scenes we really want the player to experience and see from a distance. If we put it closer, you'd miss it. Of course, the solution is to just put the FT point closer and then when the player travels there during that spot in the quest, we intercept that and spawn the player outside instead. It might be momentarily disorienting, but I think worth the cost for the playability. But that's the kind of insight it's easy to have after it's released, but very hard to see when neck deep in bugs and literally nothing works. Like I said, next game, or maybe if there is a rerelease or something.

Yeah I get the parts you mean, but those were pretty minor overall plot points really, since I am not a coder I probably assume its a lot easier to plop down some markers then it is, but it seems like one outside the area where the smiths are would avoid a couple of those except the fire one. That or just move the drat master smith somewhere else once you finish her quest.

The worst moment is when you lose the 2 vendors in skellige since you have a swordsmith and armorer right next to each other with a marker right nearby.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Fwiw I didn't use the fast travel mod until my 3rd playthrough. The fast travel system is my biggest gripe with the game and learning just yesterday that it breaks quests, I'm less likely to recommend it going forward.

From a player perspective though, it's the least fun part of an otherwise amazing game.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Only thing I really have against the fast travel system is I'd like to be able to use it while on horseback.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Being able to fast travel from a post to anywhere in Novigrad (as in, you just plop your cursor down wherever you want Geralt to be like the google street view man) would've been cool, and you also wouldn't have the problem of being able to warp around Novigrad from inside it and breaking quests everywhere.

OatBoy
Nov 18, 2004

What can I say, it's my nature

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Dark Mode is Insanity without the Ironmaning. I think both are the same difficulty.

Actually Insanity is Hard mode, not Dark, but you cannot die. I managed Insanity on the second try, but it was so stupidly tedious that I kind of regret it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
So I have this quest to show Triss a little soldier figurine or statuette. The only problem is that the minute I walk up to Triss The quest where you have to help all the mages escape novigrad kicked off and I wasnt able to get triss to look at the statue before she boarded a boat to god knows where.

Now I'm stuck with this quest in my log that literally says "talk to triss" but there's no marker on the map because triss is gone. Does she show up later, am I missing something, or is that quest irreparably borked?