Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Oh man, my group dropped with Bombadil earlier and I just said "DON'T WORRY BOMBADIL I'VE GOT YOUR BACK" and hugged his rear end all match. It turned into a hugging match and we all died. It was funny though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

they'd have to start banning more players in order for them to start doing that.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Super 3 posted:

I can appreciate the situation that you're in with this and thank you for posting what you have. As people have already mentioned PGI continuing to acknowledge and letting the community know that they're working on it goes a long. I don't think anyone is expecting a detailed plan of action with dates or anything.

It's a whole load of bullshit that they don't publicly disclose people being banned for cheating. At least tell us numbers even if they are unwilling to name and shame.

The cheating is so prevalent that you immediately know you are going to lose when you face two+ lances of 228, Lord, EMP, or Srot. At the very least they can start with them and start getting out some more high profile bans. Not everyone in those clans cheat I'm sure and some are probably legit good, but there is a shitload of fishy stuff happening every time you face those guys. Multiple on target headshots while moving, being shot from outside draw distance, and getting totally cored in the CT even while twisting having no damage to other locations and getting cored out cleanly even when using mechs that traditionally are really hard to core.

I dropped with a lance of emp guys the other day and they beelined it straight to where the enemy was and cored them all out instantly, it was totally stupid and obvious they were using Helios and we see it every time we play so it's super obvious that PGI is doing jack poo poo about it.

Tujague posted:

Well, part of the fun "game is good now" feeling is that a lot of NEWBIRDS and RETURNBIRDS are having fun stomping around in giant robots, and a pretty good amount of the stupid, crazy and lovely things are receding into the past. Fixing game mechanics is good. Fixing up the maps and even pooping out a new one every 30 months is good. But the fact that they apparently heaved a wistful sigh and bid adieu to their former policies of doxxing and forum-banning people for unsupportive comments on Reddit and, I assume, fedexing their feces to paying customers with a note that says "SUCKER!" is good, too.

It still kind of tugs at my heartstrings when I imagine an alternate universe where this franchise ended up in the hands of a company that was half competent and half poop-flinging howler monkeys. It would have been awesome.

Where are the tanks, hovercraft, and quad mechs? Where are the co-op game modes vs. the AI where you take down loads of aforementioned tanks and hovercraft? Where is the Solaris arena maps and game modes? All poo poo that would be trivial to do for any half competent company but apparently completely impossible for these jerks.

Safety Factor posted:

Nerds, please tell me about the crabs. I am considering making poor c-bill investments in tiny crab robots.

Quite possibly better than stormcrows in a lot of situations. Also the expensive one can mount jumpjets.

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you're that hard up for mechbays just buy a $7 MC pack and buy mechbays with it. Which Marauder don't you like? There aren't any with only 5 energy hardpoints. There is one with 5 energy and 2 ballistic and one with 5 energy and 2 missile and one with 4 energy and 3 ballistic. Well, plus the hero mech with 7 energy and 1 ballistic.

edit: think of it this way: assuming you bought the $20 pack with 3 marauders that's just under $7 a mechbay if you sell the mechs. If you buy $7 worth of MC you have enough for 4 mech bays at the regular price, plus a few MC as change.

You can easily quit WoL and go on a personal tour of the sphere in week long contracts and get to tier 3 or 6 in every house and clan. Thats a lot of free mechbays.

Washout fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 26, 2016

blaarg
Mar 16, 2003

Raged posted:

Where did it show that you had the 2k premium hours. I should have the same on my account but I can't find them.

Shows under https://mwomercs.com/profile when I log in.

Also thanks for the help with what to do with my space bux everyone!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Whenever I queue for CW it is just a super life-like waiting ten minutes then giving up simulator. Can you guarantee a solo game by clicking on the call to arms prompts?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

sebmojo posted:

Whenever I queue for CW it is just a super life-like waiting ten minutes then giving up simulator. Can you guarantee a solo game by clicking on the call to arms prompts?

No, I think that the "Call to Arms prompts" are just what happens when somebody queues for a certain planet, even if they're solo queuing for it and there's nobody else waiting with you in there.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

sebmojo posted:

If it is red you will probably get to join a an almost full group, if the alert is blue then that means someone is queued and they need you as fodder.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
Well, last day of the current sale, so I ground up a Warhawk. I'm... not sure it was a good decision. Then again, I can't afford to kit it out with like eight large lasers yet like I want to :v:

I used spare stuff from my Timber/Direwolf to make a 'Brawlhawk' with 3 medium pulses, 3 ASRM6's and a UAC20. Works real good when I can meet the enemy one or two at a time, works real bad when they decide to shoot me back since I have no sacrificial limbs/torsos and 15 mech tons' less armor allowance than the Direwolf.

I'm kind of considering grinding out the Cicada with the XL320 in it too, since the entire mech costs less than the engine alone right now; but that's a decision for the morning.

VVV You might think that, but no; it is a lovely Direwolf that is slightly smaller and goes faster! It can actually mount a decent number of missiles too, unlike any other clan assault, which was the main draw.

Rocketpriest fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 26, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Isn't the Warhawk just a really lovely Dire Wolf

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Warhawks are better than Dires in a lot of situations because they actually have movement speed. Both frankly suck right now

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006
The only Dire I really liked was the triple gauss and even that was more just for denying an area and wiping out teams in CW than anything else.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
Griffin 2N for whoever wanted to play mediums. 4 asrm4 and ecm. With an XL 330 your speed is 105-ish. 84 I think with a standard engine. I play it with the XL and usually circle around the firing lines to kill lrm boats in the back, then work my way forward. With the xl engine you can generally stay behind dire wolves and dads as they turn madly, trying to find you. For heavies shoot legs (unless they have torso damage already).

With goons I usually hug the assaults to provide ecm and delete any lights that would otherwise chew on their butts. You are tall as gently caress and the missiles are mounted high, so you can actually shoot over your teammates into the melee in some cases.

I have been meaning to try it out as a pure brawler with a std engine, haven't got around to it yet.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

polar highlands is really really good at making me wish I hadn't said "one more game" after a 900 damage smashfest.

especially when team helios shows up on the other team as a cherry on top of the poo poo sundae

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Does PGI have sales and events going on constantly? Just wondering if there will be more right after the current ones end.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you're that hard up for mechbays just buy a $7 MC pack and buy mechbays with it. Which Marauder don't you like? There aren't any with only 5 energy hardpoints. There is one with 5 energy and 2 ballistic and one with 5 energy and 2 missile and one with 4 energy and 3 ballistic. Well, plus the hero mech with 7 energy and 1 ballistic.

edit: think of it this way: assuming you bought the $20 pack with 3 marauders that's just under $7 a mechbay if you sell the mechs. If you buy $7 worth of MC you have enough for 4 mech bays at the regular price, plus a few MC as change.

I was thinking of the 5E+2B no missiles, i think the quirks arent really a keeper.
But your point about 7 bucks/4mechbays cant be argued with. Im going for this then and keep my rauders.
Thanks for input.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

JacksAngryBiome posted:

Griffin 2N for whoever wanted to play mediums. 4 asrm4 and ecm. With an XL 330 your speed is 105-ish. 84 I think with a standard engine. I play it with the XL and usually circle around the firing lines to kill lrm boats in the back, then work my way forward. With the xl engine you can generally stay behind dire wolves and dads as they turn madly, trying to find you. For heavies shoot legs (unless they have torso damage already).

With goons I usually hug the assaults to provide ecm and delete any lights that would otherwise chew on their butts. You are tall as gently caress and the missiles are mounted high, so you can actually shoot over your teammates into the melee in some cases.

I have been meaning to try it out as a pure brawler with a std engine, haven't got around to it yet.

Im sold.
I never really liked srm, didnt feel like doing much damage...
Ghost Dad showed me the way.
If only i wasnt to loving cheap to go artemis, is it really much of an improvement for dumbfire rockets?
I thought its more for guided missiles, and we agreed to hate those.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Raged posted:

Does PGI have sales and events going on constantly? Just wondering if there will be more right after the current ones end.

They do sales nearly every week on something, and they usually do personal challenges twice a month.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Im sold.
If only i wasnt to loving cheap to go artemis, is it really much of an improvement for dumbfire rockets?

It's great. Instead of your missiles getting slathered all over your target they all mostly hit the same component. In a ghost dad or a... whatever we're calling the AS7-S with 4 ASRM6, it means you're taking down mediums and heavies in like two or three hits instead of four or five.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Im sold.

Artemis is all about spread reduction to maximise damage to one or few locations. If you're constantly shooting people in the butt at short range, Artemis isn't probably super useful but if you're engaging at range up to 270m, SRM 6+ Artemis is going to focus most of your damage better to a single location reducing your overall fire needed to kill a target dead dead dead. SRM4s + Artemis are a so much tighter spread and higher rof than non artemis SRM 6 for the same weight & slots that you're doing more effective damage with those SRM4s. I must confess that I still rock non artemis SRM6 in situations where I'm short on weight, but that's because I like the timing of the SRM6s and I think the spread means I'm more likely to hit faster mechs with some damage that I might otherwise miss with SRM4s+A because of my ping and overall ability to whiff easy shots.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
I run the Atlas S without artemis. ddc has the space for it so i do. But I rarely run the ddc. The S is such a good facerapist i wont shoot unless my moneyshot goes right in the eye

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Fil5000 posted:

It's great. Instead of your missiles getting slathered all over your target they all mostly hit the same component. In a ghost dad or a... whatever we're calling the AS7-S with 4 ASRM6, it means you're taking down mediums and heavies in like two or three hits instead of four or five.

I call the -S Dad the Mad Dad. :v: I like mine with Artemis, because why not?

Nothing beats the exquisite tickles when an enemy robot alphas you repeatedly out of panic because you turned a corner or dropped in front of their face.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I can see the Rocket Dad with artemis, but its running short on heatsinks... i think the second alpha would shut me down?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

The trick is to not fire the medium lasers all the time.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
Completely unscientific measurement here, but I feel like I generally get more damage into one mech location with asrm4 than with srm6, and at 2/3rd the ammo cost. We can also talk about range vs spread, reload times, ammo opportunity cost of asrmr vs srm4 plus an extra ton of ammo, but at some point my head hurts and I am really here just to shoot butts. So try both and go with what you like.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

JacksAngryBiome posted:

Completely unscientific measurement here, but I feel like I generally get more damage into one mech location with asrm4 than with srm6, and at 2/3rd the ammo cost. We can also talk about range vs spread, reload times, ammo opportunity cost of asrmr vs srm4 plus an extra ton of ammo, but at some point my head hurts and I am really here just to shoot butts. So try both and go with what you like.

The spread on ASRM 6 is only slightly worse than ASRM 4. It's always worth it if you have the tonnage/space.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Hm... with srm 4 and an ac10, the cooldowns are quite all the same, while freeing up even more space at the cost of damage however.
asrm4+AC10

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
/\/\/\/\
That's far too much ammo for those guns and at that point why are you even bothering, the whole point of the Atlas is to get stuck in and break up the enemy lines, not be a short range poker.

JacksAngryBiome posted:

The problem with that, at least in my mind, is that your biggest danger in a dad is in fact another dad or rhino or srm6 timber or something else similarly big and scary. With those hit boxes it's mostly just a race of who can get more damage into the ct faster, twisting or not. SRM4s are gonna leave you at a disadvantage there. 4 SRM4s is definitely a valid damage choice as proven by the griffins, but it just doesn't put the fear of god into people like 4 SRM6s do.

AtillatheBum fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jan 26, 2016

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Hm... with srm 4 and an ac10, the cooldowns are quite all the same, while freeing up even more space at the cost of damage however.
asrm4+AC10

You freed up a bunch of weight and are doing absolutely nothing with it, if you're going to comedically under-arm your atlas at least up the engine, a 300 engine on a 100 ton mech is painfully slow and is just going to get you killed.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The ammo basically fills tonnage since i cant fit anything else in there.

Astroniomix posted:

You freed up a bunch of weight and are doing absolutely nothing with it, if you're going to comedically under-arm your atlas at least up the engine, a 300 engine on a 100 ton mech is painfully slow and is just going to get you killed.

Can you explain how it is "comically underarmed"?
Its still 62 damage on a 3 second cooldown.
But i agree a bigger engine would be nice, if i had one lying around. Isnt the 300 the one it comes with? Cant remember, thats the one im using.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jan 26, 2016

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
Sorry, I was talking about light or medium mechs, I should have specified.

Content: My current horrible King Crab 0000 build is 4 asrm6, 4 medium pulse, std 350, 2 machine guns for comedy. Previously it had an lbx 10 in place of the medium lasers and machine guns which gave it a dead side. It runs hot, has no shield arms, and I usually die after a kill or two.

I want to buy an Atlas S (RS?) to do it right.

JacksAngryBiome fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 26, 2016

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Yolomon Wayne posted:

The ammo basically fills tonnage since i cant fit anything else in there.

Upgrade the engine. Or don't use an AC/10 on an atlas. I have no idea how you enjoy piloting that thing, it looks awful.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Astroniomix posted:

Upgrade the engine. Or don't use an AC/10 on an atlas. I have no idea how you enjoy piloting that thing, it looks awful.

I also have no idea how id feel piloting this, as i am currently not using artemis abnd this was an idea to incorporate them.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Is the JR7-K less of a pup than it appears at first glance or what?

Mainly seems like a much worse D-pattern with quirks that would kind of encourage brawling at medium range if the mech wasn't a gigantic CT with stumpy arms and jumpjets glued on.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
They really should post hints of what might be on sale in the future.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

jBrereton posted:

Is the JR7-K less of a pup than it appears at first glance or what?

Mainly seems like a much worse D-pattern with quirks that would kind of encourage brawling at medium range if the mech wasn't a gigantic CT with stumpy arms and jumpjets glued on.

-K designations are pretty much always bad comedy builds that are straight up worse than the other options. The Oxide is still the best jenner, followed by the -F and then the -D.

If you don't have/aren't going to get the oxide I wouldn't recommend buying the jenners.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I also have no idea how id feel piloting this, as i am currently not using artemis abnd this was an idea to incorporate them.

Have you considered ditching the lasers entirely from your original rocket dad build? Without them you've got less need to worry about heat, you can cram a bigger engine in and as soon as you've hit the trigger you can twist away to spread damage.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

Have you considered ditching the lasers entirely from your original rocket dad build? Without them you've got less need to worry about heat, you can cram a bigger engine in and as soon as you've hit the trigger you can twist away to spread damage.

Actually, i havent.
I might tinker around a bit more when im home, my resources are limited so i try to work with what i have currently.
If engines werent so loving expensive id probably have one of each size to gently caress around.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Astroniomix posted:

-K designations are pretty much always bad comedy builds that are straight up worse than the other options. The Oxide is still the best jenner, followed by the -F and then the -D.

If you don't have/aren't going to get the oxide I wouldn't recommend buying the jenners.
See as someone who really likes the -D pattern and is okay with the -F, I got the -K to basic out the set and am grinding out CBills to get it an XL-300 so I can bring myself to drive about in it. Shame to hear I wasn't wrong.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

TheParadigm posted:

The trick is to not fire the medium lasers all the time.

just leave them off the mech. I never found them to be useful, wasted heat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Willfrey posted:

just leave them off the mech. I never found them to be useful, wasted heat

Ok, provided i had the cash for artemis racks and the engine, i might try something like this.
68 damage alpha at 22 heat with 3 double sinks and 2 empty arms for shielding the torsi.

• Locked thread