Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saiyajin-Nester
Oct 18, 2005
I am really loving this game and am keeping my personal map up pretty much 24/7. I could really use an active person that loves to build in survival, if anybody is interested give Nesterus on steam a shout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Been fiddling with my Kingfisher to see what else I can do with it, as it's only got like three pods and a pretty spacious bay.

So far it's gained a six-pack of one-man drop pods. They're designed so the thrusters don't kick in until about 30m above the ground for a fast-insertion-style arrival. It also turned out they have enough vertical thrust and minimal mass to just about break orbit, so they kinda became insertion and extraction pods :v:. There's also a manual activation in each pod for individual launches/landing zone correction. Along with the fact they tend to cluster mid-flight and occasionally not activate properly before slamming into the ground as a group.

Trying to get some big fat dumbfire armor torpedoes going as well.

But so far the accuracy on-release is... inconsistent (The one at the back's facing skyward). Gonna try shifting the mounting point from the side to the top and see if that gives more consistent releases. You can't tell from the angle, but there's a big fat Atmospheric Thruster at the center of the regular ones to give it some extra oomph in gravity. Also trying to get some general cluster-bomblets for good old-fashion carpet bombing too.

RabidGolfCart
Mar 19, 2010

Excellent!
I've scoured the workshop for mods to create this construction pod small enough to fit through the 2x3 corridors on my super station.

This is as small as I could get it, about 4.5x4.5x3 meters in size (including landing gear) . The tools may be swapped out for guns to make a murder pod.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You say "Super Station", But I dont see any pictures of it :colbert:.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Which cockpit mod is that?

RabidGolfCart
Mar 19, 2010

Excellent!

TwatHammer posted:

Which cockpit mod is that?
Mech Cockpit.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You say "Super Station", But I dont see any pictures of it :colbert:.
Consider that a teaser.
It's a heavy work in progress, I wont be showing it off until it's more or less complete. Check back in a few weeks months.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
After a bunch of crashes I finally cottoned on that it would be a good idea to do my builds in an all-mods creative Empty World rather than an all-mods start. Could barely get anything done in a lone survivor without a crash happening. So far I haven't crashed at all in an empty world!

Anyway, here's a preview of my first build.

(Ignore the huge container on the left that was part of my attempt to get the Bumblepod's projector stuff to build.)

I call it the Handyman. It's pretty much just a Bumblepod with lower arms and shoulder addons in addition to the whole 'projector based versatility' bit. I made it to figure out some things because I couldn't get the Bumblepod's projector stuff to build for the life of me. Probably some weirdness with the connected blocks where it works with a full on mechanarium suite but is impossible to build by hand. Also learned how colors work (I really like the purple specular thing going on there that you can barely see. Found that by accident.)

The Handyman's stuff can be built by hand although you might have to do some fancy flying to get them to connect after cutting the 'sprue' blocks.
Took a bit figuring out what all the stuff in the Control Panel does. Had to reassemble the rear connector because I toggled it to not show anywhere before putting it in a group and didn't know how to get it back after that :v:
Also ended up getting some blocks mis-named (lefts and rights etc.)

Current equipment is: Twin Welder, Twin Grinder, Tri-Drill hands and two support pods that ATM are mainly 'more cargo and atmospheric thrusters because I love storage and have absolutely no clue how this thing will handle in atmo.'
It handles well enough at about 8-10 hydrogen/armor thrusters a side and with 8 gyros the dang thing turns faster than it flies. Could probably knock two out if I didn't like how it turns so much.
Additional ideas would be some grabby landing gear hands and insane thruster shoulders so it can be a tugboat for large grids. I know I've got enough space to jam a couple more projectors in there. Might use my current spare one to experiment with a dual-shoulder option.
It masses about 53 million kg bare and about 70 million kg with the drill hands and shoulder pods.

Things left to do with this in no particular order:
Survival testing to make sure the conveyors work properly for building and how it handles in atmosphere and all that jazz. (So I can also learn how these things work in that environment.)
Mucking about with the spotlights because at default they're really dang bright.
Establishing a paint scheme more than 'this purple specular is really cool man.'
Naming and finalizing everything in the control panel properly.

So far it's been a good learning experience. Still need to figure out the build options, they're not very well documented (mirror, plane etc.)

Next item on the planning agenda: the long range support shuttlecraft that'll carry this thing (and others) around and where I can start testing my main ship design 'gimmick.' Also potential learning for the LCD mod.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I bet I know the problem; try setting the Bumblepod's module merge blocks to "share with all".

If you want some basic samples for the LCD mod, try my Kestrel shuttle Mk.3. The pilot's screens are set up with a decent range of samples you can use to get an idea of how they should be laid out alongside the mod creator's guide.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jan 19, 2016

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
FYI the female astronaut mod has been updated to work again:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=601060488

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
So, I think that I'm gonna bite the bullet on this and pick it up. The only last thing holding me back is overall performance. I've been watching a lot of YouTube vids and reading various comments in different places on the net and I'm worried about what kind of computer you need to really get this game running decently, not necessarily top end but just decent to get an enjoyable experience. What's worried me is that I've heard various people mention how the game suffers on even 6 core machines and that overall your CPU is the determining factor. I'm currently running an old i5 that's like 4.5 years old (can't remember exactly what it is and I'm on vacation and can't go look, has to be a quad core sandy bridge if I think about it now). I've got a GTX 970 that I grabbed last summer so overall graphically I don't think that should be the problem. I'm planning on upgrading my CPU / Mobo / RAM in the near future (like in the next month or two) so I just wanted to get an impression of what I can expect if I decide to pick this up.

lilspooky fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 19, 2016

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009

lilspooky posted:

So, I think that I'm gonna bite the bullet on this and pick it up. The only last thing holding me back is overall performance. I've been watching a lot of YouTube vids and reading various comments in different places on the net and I'm worried about what kind of computer you need to really get this game running decently, not necessarily top end but just decent to get an enjoyable experience. What's worried me is that I've heard various people mention how the game suffers on even 6 core machines and that overall your CPU is the determining factor. I'm currently running an old i5 that's like 4.5 years old (can't remember exactly what it is and I'm on vacation and can't go look). I've got a GTX 970 that I grabbed last summer so overall graphically I don't think that should be the problem. I'm planning on upgrading my CPU / Mobo / RAM in the near future (like in the next month or two) so I just wanted to get an impression of what I can expect if I decide to pick this up.

I'd think youd be fine if you aren't afraid of running on some reduced settings. My rig is similar to yours and the game when in space is nice and smooth. Of course, the more models and the larger the ship becomes is the real problem, but even so I can make some pretty gigantic ships and the FPS is never unplayable. Planets are a bit rough at times, but it once again depends on foliage and models.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Fwiw I also have an old-ish i5 and it runs fairly stable at around 30 fps on a planet.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
That's good to know thanks.

Overall do you guys think the game can be improved with continued optimization or does it seem that this will end up being a game that just slowly gets more bloated and would require the devs to do some major code re-writing / work. I'm ignorant when it comes to programming / coding so I don't know how likely things are.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Their recently released roadmap mentioned optimization, so I would bet things are only going to get better. Unlike a lot of Early Access games, SE really does a really good job by having a weekly patch and frequent communications with their supporters about the future and their plans.

I'm fully expecting a lot of optimization and support but I may just be chuggin down the cool aid.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I get around 50-60 fps on planet, 120+ in space. Admittedly I've got a fairly beefy machine. But as is always the case with these kinds of games, the more crap you build the slower poo poo gets.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Uncle Spriggly posted:

Their recently released roadmap mentioned optimization, so I would bet things are only going to get better. Unlike a lot of Early Access games, SE really does a really good job by having a weekly patch and frequent communications with their supporters about the future and their plans.

I'm fully expecting a lot of optimization and support but I may just be chuggin down the cool aid.

It's also already a lot more optimized than it used to be.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Good to hear. I know it'll never be "perfect" but hopefully they'll get it to a point where you can have players in some decent multiplayer matches with some mods where you get to enjoy blowing each other up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My Bumblepods are admittedly pretty crappy in atmosphere (ie; fly like bricks once their very minimal fuel runs dry) and despite my best efforts just don't want to be efficient little airborne constructors.

So I went back and built something from scratch. The atmospheric flight pods on the side are gonna be the usual interchangeable fare, alternating with Hydrogen Tanks for longer high-speed flight time, an extra pair of cargo containers, etc, along with the Bumblepod's tool hands. The top one doesn't have full cargo connections like the side ones, it's just for stuff like mounting forward-facing atmospheric engines, more fuel, etc.

lilspooky posted:

Good to hear. I know it'll never be "perfect" but hopefully they'll get it to a point where you can have players in some decent multiplayer matches with some mods where you get to enjoy blowing each other up.

One of the things on the roadmap is apparently official dedicated servers, so you'll probably get that wish eventually. I just hope they'll permit/have most or all of the mods I use so I can go squish pubbie ships with mine.

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.

lilspooky posted:

The only last thing holding me back is overall performance.

You can always spawn in smaller custom sized planets to play around on, 120 is pretty large. Doctor Octogonapus created a spider planet I spawn in at the smallest size and I use it as a carnage ground with the Starship Troopers arachnid mod, lowest foliage. My PC is no monster, very bargain priced, if you aren't obsessed with graphics the game is serviceable.

If you aren't afraid of mods, there are several I run that reduce the demand from conveyors and thrusters.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
No, I'm very much a mod-aholic in games. I'm worried I might overdose on them from what I've seen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Did some more work on my replacement multipod and it's turning out more versatile than I thought.

Turns out there's enough room on the sides for one to mount my generic cargo pods (I figured there'd probably only be room to tack one on at the back). The pods themselves are just meant to be lugged around by cargo tugs or whatever as your generic mundane space-y cargo pod, and they've got one of those bigass 45,000L Azimuth containers inside.

It also looks much nicer painted up properly.

Extra Container Pods (Basic Medium Containers) and a Jump Drive on top (which can also be mounted to the sides). The mining hands are straight-up taken from the Bumblepod, but I'm working on streamlining design of the Grinder and Welding hands a bit.

Sweet stylin' atmospheric lifting and flight gear, along with weapon pods. It's actually got enough vertical lift from just the atmospheric thrusters to get the thing airborne even with loaded cargo containers.

EponymousMrYar posted:

The Handyman's stuff can be built by hand although you might have to do some fancy flying to get them to connect after cutting the 'sprue' blocks.
Took a bit figuring out what all the stuff in the Control Panel does. Had to reassemble the rear connector because I toggled it to not show anywhere before putting it in a group and didn't know how to get it back after that :v:
Also ended up getting some blocks mis-named (lefts and rights etc.)

There's a very easy and simple trick to dealing with sprues. Don't just bridge the pods together, make them impossible to build.

The only parts of these that can assemble are the weapon pods themselves, because the sprue conflicts with the multipods' body.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It's patch time!

quote:

Summary
This week we are adding Planetary tutorials for new and returning players to help them survive and use all the mechanics and resources properly on the planets - for example, how to use wheeled vehicles.
We have improved the visual fidelity of spotlights and beacons, and also added reflection to glass and shiny surfaces. From now on you will be able to navigate much easier in indoor environments.
Additionally, we have improved the performance by reducing the amount of particles without sacrificing the quality of the effects and the overall look and feel.

Important message for those who are using custom skins on characters, especially modders. Due to a fixed oxygen consuming bug the game may crash when using custom skin on characters. To fix this, follow this link: http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/character-skins-crashing-after-01-118.7378645/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4FsuOwMpMo

Features
- Planetary Tutorials
- Improved lighting effects

Fixes
- fixed crash with oxygen
- fixed crash in Havok
- fixed crash when clients are joining
- fixed drill too fragile
- fixed high particle count
- fixed window reflections
- fixed spotlights not shining enough
- fixed ice disappearing in oxygen generators
- fixed no gyro sound playing

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

lilspooky posted:

So, I think that I'm gonna bite the bullet on this and pick it up. The only last thing holding me back is overall performance. I've been watching a lot of YouTube vids and reading various comments in different places on the net and I'm worried about what kind of computer you need to really get this game running decently, not necessarily top end but just decent to get an enjoyable experience. What's worried me is that I've heard various people mention how the game suffers on even 6 core machines and that overall your CPU is the determining factor. I'm currently running an old i5 that's like 4.5 years old (can't remember exactly what it is and I'm on vacation and can't go look, has to be a quad core sandy bridge if I think about it now). I've got a GTX 970 that I grabbed last summer so overall graphically I don't think that should be the problem. I'm planning on upgrading my CPU / Mobo / RAM in the near future (like in the next month or two) so I just wanted to get an impression of what I can expect if I decide to pick this up.

Having a good computer doesn't really help, since DX11 support is a joke at the moment. You'll be fine. The game is absurdly well optimized at this point too.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Haven't played this game for almost a year. How does the multiplayer support look right now? Should I still expect to be ejected into space every time I try to walk around my ship when it's speeding up?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Gantolandon posted:

Haven't played this game for almost a year. How does the multiplayer support look right now? Should I still expect to be ejected into space every time I try to walk around my ship when it's speeding up?

multiplayer is still poo poo, but they did fix a lot of the cockpit collision issues. My understanding is that it's the next Big Item on their list of poo poo to do, and I'm waiting for it before I try playing again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Hotfix dropped;

quote:

Update 118.011
- fixed crash when creating faction
- fixed crash with oxygen
- fixed crash with electricity

I've also had to tinker with the Avalon a little for the new multipods to fit properly because they're a good deal longer.

The random pods mounted are to just get a general idea of size. It used to be a raised narrower ledge for Bumblepods and cargo pods.

Which now have a second ledge of horizontal connectors on the lower hangar deck, so it can now tool up with a lot more mining and construction gear, along with fighters and stuff :v:. Also note that the lighting tweaks for this week still haven't fixed the major bug of leaving the far side of the room in darkness.

The Hangar Bay entrances themselves are also a little less friendly.

Splode posted:

Multiplayer is still poo poo, but they did fix a lot of the cockpit collision issues. My understanding is that it's the next Big Item on their list of poo poo to do, and I'm waiting for it before I try playing again.

I think they've finally quashed the exploding rotor/landing gear desync bug as well in the past few weeks, so it's not as bad but it's still built off the same lovely codebase they hacked together to initially push out multiplayer.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I'm really enjoying MMaster's configurable automatic LCD's which run without any mods. I joined a multiplayer game this weekend and we built and tested an old refinery layout I made months ago, I added some screens to it to make it better:

As far as I can tell there's no way to automate a screen like this

But it hasn't been inaccurate yet.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Stick Insect posted:

If the scripts are able to store variables in memory between runs (or just store it on one of the other fields available on the LCD panel) it shouldn't be too hard. Just set a script to increment a variable and then display the text and set a timer for 24 hours.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
But given how things tend to go in this game, it'll still never increment past 0.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I maaay have wound up giving what's now more of an Avalon Battlecarrier even more guns because I liked the 40mm Bofors used for the new hangar bay door guns. It's also given the ship a general broader arc of gently caress-you as a result :v:.

I like to think of them as dedicated AA/Anti-Gravity-Shell guns for while the bigass vulcans are murdering incoming missiles/shells. Or to join in shredding things coming towards the ship. They're also surprisingly capable of not accidentally shooting the turret beside them to get a kill.

HardDisk posted:

If the scripts are able to store variables in memory between runs (or just store it on one of the other fields available on the LCD panel) it shouldn't be too hard. Just set a script to increment a variable and then display the text and set a timer for 24 hours.

Scripts can't store variables between runs, every execution is a new instance of them so no fancy N++ counters. It might be possible to use an LCD's text storage as memory though, but I haven't poked into the higher-end programming side of things.

Also, go check out the new Holographic Radar mod someone added to the Workshop because holy poo poo is it cool. Be aware it conflicts with the Active Radar mod, so you need to remove that before using this one. You'll also need to disable Auto-Trash Cleanup in your World Settings.

Stick Insect posted:

I'm really enjoying MMaster's configurable automatic LCD's which run without any mods. I joined a multiplayer game this weekend and we built and tested an old refinery layout I made months ago, I added some screens to it to make it better:

Bit of a tip for the "Damage Report" display; You get a much more accurate result by displaying the Details of a projector with the base's design stored in it overlaid on the actual thing. The Damage-tracking part of the script only works for what's not destroyed.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Unfortunately they don't yet show interior lights.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Is that a cockpit that shows camera output? :aaa:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's a mod that displays camera output on LCDs, combined with Fighter Cockpit LCD Modules.

The camera mod is still in testing, the guy doing it says he hopes to have a release in a week or so. It's using the plugin API rather than Workshop, so it requires running an installer, but it does auto-update once installed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
That's pretty drat awesome, but I bet if you try running that while over a planet you'll probably make your graphics card turn to molten slag.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It has a configurable cap for how much of your render time is spent on cameras, default 15%

RabidGolfCart
Mar 19, 2010

Excellent!
Check out my mining crane.

Not terribly practical, but I thought it looked cool.
And I finally found a use for that gear mod.

Late night edit:
I also tried a welder crane for station repair and spruced up the mining crane a bit.

Bonus mining pod:

RabidGolfCart fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 26, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I love those utilitarian safety pipes on everything :allears:.

Anyone know if its possible to somehow set the Blink settings on interior lights to a slow pulse instead of a hard on/off?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I love those utilitarian safety pipes on everything :allears:.

Anyone know if its possible to somehow set the Blink settings on interior lights to a slow pulse instead of a hard on/off?

Short answer: No.
Long answer: Anything is possible with the stupid Programming Block, if you're willing to invest some time into making it work. :downs:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

XkyRauh posted:

Short answer: No.
Long answer: Anything is possible with the stupid Programming Block, if you're willing to invest some time into making it work. :downs:

drat. I'm working on a replacement for the Avalon's CPU Core because 300+ Timer Blocks I'll never use really need to get chopped. Turns out once you get obscene amounts of blocks in a ship the menu starts to chug, and The Avalon's core has about 330-odd Timer and Programming Blocks I can chop down to fifty-ish in all.

Was hoping to make it pulse slowly in different colours, but I might settle for some generic Blinky-Light Units. The new core's also made from reinforced armor as a last-line defense, though if there's weapon fire in the CIC there are probably more pressing issues. Once it's finished and installed, I'll also have to reprogram both of the Gravity Propelled Cannons timers from scratch :shepicide:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
I mean, in theory, if you're going to use a Programming Block to make the lights pulse slowly, adding another line or two of code to make the colors shift shouldn't be difficult.

There are a lot of things that are technically possible with Programming Blocks, if you're willing to invest the time. Personally, I dislike them. I find it incredibly frustrating that the answer to "can I do X?" is "Yes, with a PB." :(

• Locked thread