Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Would the deluxe version of Hanabi work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Durendal posted:

With little boats to hold your fireworks.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

foxxtrot posted:

That would be the most boring game ever. You'd put together your plans, and then get shut down by NIMBY bullshit so you'd never be able to make any progress.

I actually like their implementation of that theme. Bay Area Regional Planner is a semi-coop. The players need to keep rents and commute times down while building enough housing to avoid losing. But to win the game, each player needs to accomplish all but one of their secret goal cards. Of course, all the secret goals are NIMBY bullshit, and players can only take actions by unanimous consent. So the whole game boils down to trying to obscure your NIMBY bullshit while blocking other players NIMBY bullshit. So it's basically a mashup of Clans and City of Horror. The mechanics could use some serious work, but it's a lot better than most educational games I've seen.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

bobvonunheil posted:

I don't know what world you live in where this game looks less terrifying than Chaos in the Old World

It's quiet now. What do YOU say?

Anyone else reading board books to their babies incessantly here?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Putting aside games that explicitly address their subject matter (COIN, Navajo Wars, Train, Freedom: The Underground Railroad, etc.), here's a more challenging question for game designers: If you're making a game that is primarily about an interesting mechanic and enjoyable gameplay, and the theme is a secondary consideration, why do so many board game themes gravitate to colonialism and feudalism? I'm particularly thinking of something like Mombasa, where the theme was totally unnecessary and only serves to detract from the game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Durendal posted:

Nah they'll sink to the bottom.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
We're gonna run out of port cities to name board games after. I mean I'm still waiting for my Tin Can Island worker placement game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

But then you can just make up names, like Porto Pawtee and The Isles of Boston Harbor and The Many Ports of Zaire.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Little_wh0re posted:

Odd request: suggestions for a board game that could be played in a hot tub

Uncle wiggly

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Most games have an element of power fantasy to them. Colonialism and feudalism are very old systems that allow power fantasies to be enacted.

This is part of the reason I find the COIN series and the Pax series so interesting. They showcase the assymetical power balance of Empire from the colonized's side.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Banana Man posted:

Uncle wiggly

This is the only appropriate answer.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

silvergoose posted:

It's quiet now. What do YOU say?

:hfive:
"The Going to Bed Book" 4 lyfe

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Bottom Liner posted:

How good is that Vassal module? Does it automate anything or is it just a graphical interface?

speaking of vassal modules in general, does anybody have any recommendations for well made modules that work for solo play?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Is Keyflower in limited print? That is, is the ~$50 price tag on Amazon a good price or should I wait for a reprint? How easy has it been to teach to newish players in your experience?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

SynthOrange posted:

Nah they'll sink to the bottom.

That's a good excuse for hanky-panky.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chill la Chill posted:

Campaign for North Africa in a swimming pool??

The Italians would need a slightly bigger swimming pool.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Razor Jacksuit posted:

:hfive:
"The Going to Bed Book" 4 lyfe

Hells yeah, my wife said no one would get it.

Seriously though, does that box art not remind you of the last page of Moo Baa La La La? All the animals just staring at you. Creepy.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Magnetic North posted:

This sounds neat. Now I kind of want to see an economic farming game where some crops are better than others but have a higher chance of going bust. Something where the blights are secretly determined at the start of the game so you have no idea what would happen or not. Hell, it probably already exists.

It does, I just linked it to you :v:

Little_wh0re posted:

Odd request: suggestions for a board game that could be played in a hot tub

What you are going to want to do is turn the entire hot tub into a Twilight Imperium 3 board. You can't play with the actual tiles and such, they would get wet, so you will need to make do with 30 float rings as star systems, and toy boats for star ships. You will have to laminate a few hundred cards, but I think it could be done:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 26, 2016

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Ryoshi posted:

The Mensa game list from a few pages back sparked a faint memory of really enjoying Clue: the Great Museum Caper twenty years ago at a friend's place.

Is the game actually good or was I a particularly dull child? And since it's been out of print forever, are there any games that capture the same feel?

Caper is enjoyable, my gf owns a copy of it i've played a few times. I think Letters from Whitechapel is probably a reasonably similar feel

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

disperse posted:

I'm not sure this is a serious request, but Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective can be played almost anywhere and doesn't require a tabletop. If you're careful, you wouldn't even need to laminate the handouts.

It is actually a serious question. I'm going on holiday with friends in march. It's a board gaming holiday but we're also getting a cabin with a hot tub.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

bobvonunheil posted:

I don't know what world you live in where this game looks less terrifying than Chaos in the Old World

These animals all look like they were stolen from The Peaceable Kingdom, the lion could just as well be traced from some versions.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Shadow225 posted:

Is Keyflower in limited print? That is, is the ~$50 price tag on Amazon a good price or should I wait for a reprint? How easy has it been to teach to newish players in your experience?

That's price seems appropriate. I just taught it to 3 new players last night and it went over quite well. I suggest you know the rules back and forth and set up the game prior to starting to teach it. The layout and how the game is played can be confusing without the visual aid.

Make sure you know the easy-to-miss super important rules such as "you can't move meeples used for a bid unless that group is losing the bid". My very first game that one was missed and the auctions were...interesting, to say the least.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Little_wh0re posted:

It is actually a serious question. I'm going on holiday with friends in march. It's a board gaming holiday but we're also getting a cabin with a hot tub.

Truth or dare. :heysexy:

Serious answer: Uno has a waterproof edition I believe.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

Little_wh0re posted:

Well, get Consulting Detective, pin the map up somewhere in the cabin, leave the newspaper on the kitchen table, and use the hot tub as the place you go to discuss the case. There's lots of time you spend in that game where you're simply going over the clues you've collected so far and comparing notes.

There's also a waterproof edition of Spot It, but there's a lot of slapping down of cards and I'm not sure how that would work in a hot tub.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Jungle Speed is sufficiently water proof, but you'll need a surface and probably get to touch some moobs while trying to act fast.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Gloom cards are solid plastic, but you need somewhere to lay them down.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

BonHair posted:

Jungle Speed is sufficiently water proof, but you'll need a surface and probably get to touch some moobs while trying to act fast.

My version has cardboard cards.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Bottom Liner posted:

Gloom cards are solid plastic, but you need somewhere to lay them down.

Only if you're going to play Gloom, which you shouldn't.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Poop in the Jacuzzi?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Aston posted:

Poop in the Jacuzzi?

Yeah just take a massive dump and then start accusing people, then send your trip report to BL for balance concerns

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Pooping in the tub works better if the jets are on. Then nobody can be sure if it was you.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

The secret semi-co-op mission in Consulting Detective.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
Ok, I'm looking to scoop up some more light games- Things that don't have too big a footprint, not-too fiddly, and can be explained and gotten into asap. These are for play with non-gamers and people who are not native speakers of English.

Sushi Go! and Hanabi have gone over well, as have Cockroach Poker and Dixit. Codenames and Fuse! are about the upper limit on complexity.

Dixit Jinx didn't go over well, as we really couldn't get the game to "flow" right. One Night Ultimate Werewolf is fine, but we've got a few issues with lying for some people, and for lying in a second language for others.

Co-Ops are a big plus for everyone (we've already got the Forbiddens; Desert is at about our upper-limit, too.)

We're usually in the range of 3-6 players, but really I'll take any recommendations as far as group size.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

The General posted:

Pooping in the tub works better if the jets are on. Then nobody can be sure if it was you.

The ultimate traitor game. I'll make the kickstarter.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Ok, I'm looking to scoop up some more light games- Things that don't have too big a footprint, not-too fiddly, and can be explained and gotten into asap. These are for play with non-gamers and people who are not native speakers of English.

Sushi Go! and Hanabi have gone over well, as have Cockroach Poker and Dixit. Codenames and Fuse! are about the upper limit on complexity.

Dixit Jinx didn't go over well, as we really couldn't get the game to "flow" right. One Night Ultimate Werewolf is fine, but we've got a few issues with lying for some people, and for lying in a second language for others.

Co-Ops are a big plus for everyone (we've already got the Forbiddens; Desert is at about our upper-limit, too.)

We're usually in the range of 3-6 players, but really I'll take any recommendations as far as group size.

Love Letter is a pretty obvious match. Camel Up has a pretty big footprint, but it's easy, fun and quick.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
e: yep, great minds ^^

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Camel Up! is pretty different from what you've played but could go over well I think. Camel gambling! Ticket to Ride is certainly worth a shot. Skull might go over better than ONUW on the bluffing side as the lying is language independent.

No Thanks!, Linko, For Sale, and Frank's Zoo are all solid card filler. I'm digging Blueprints and Lanterns: The Harvest Festival right now too.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
Camel Up! looks interesting and Ticket to Ride is on my list, but I think both are a little too big for what I'm trying to stock up on right now.

Blueprints and Lanterns look about right, and I'll probably grab No Thanks! at some point.

Love Letter, I'm just not sure I'm excited about. Anyone want to talk it up?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Love Letter, I'm just not sure I'm excited about. Anyone want to talk it up?

It's a good light game and incredibly cheap?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
You could always try Lost Legacy! Love Letter's slightly older, cooler brother!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

The ultimate traitor game. I'll make the kickstarter.

Cards Against Hygiene