Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah if you reform a system I doubt you would keep a gamey exploit, let alone expand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well whatever. Just for the love of god if it ever gets replaced in EU4 don't replace it with something more complicated. The game has enough complicated poo poo as it is.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
If you took out vassal blocking in the current system, all that would happen is people would put a strip of a non-vassal country in between their territory instead, and have to be frustrated by shipping troops across for no other real benefit.

If Paradox comes up with a good alternative to the overseas system then I think that'd be really nice, but it's not something that bothers me as-is. Simple to understand mechanics like overseas coring that can totally change how you play the game once you learn them are really cool.

in other news, the full patch notes for 1.15 are up on the Paradox forums; it's out tomorrow. looks cool. unmentioned significant stealth change: you can't do day 1 wars anymore, you have to wait 30 days after the start so AI can arrange alliances. to counteract that though, AI will no longer sneak in new alliances mid-war?? drat

also totally gamechanging, Confucianism got the 10% adm cost reduction it's syncretic tengri side got :eyepop:

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Koramei posted:

in other news, the full patch notes for 1.15 are up on the Paradox forums; it's out tomorrow. looks cool. unmentioned significant stealth change: you can't do day 1 wars anymore, you have to wait 30 days after the start so AI can arrange alliances.

Someone refresh my memory, who does this gently caress over

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Norway I guess? Does that also apply to "support independence"?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Make it so your province autonomy floor flows a bit like HoI supply, so a desert or mountain range lowers autonomy for all provinces "behind" it. Not just distance.

This could be displayed pretty clearly with a map mode.

Only about 1/4 joking here.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Fintilgin posted:

Make it so your province autonomy floor flows a bit like HoI supply, so a desert or mountain range lowers autonomy for all provinces "behind" it. Not just distance.

This could be displayed pretty clearly with a map mode.

Only about 1/4 joking here.

you should be full not joking, that's a p good idea

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
it makes logical sense, if the tax dude has to cross the loving pyrenees to get to your capital you're probably gonna take in few tax receipts from that regions

basques gonna basque, in other words

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

quote:

- Heirs of own country in Elective Monarchy no longer have weak legitimacy.
Finally, Poland is no longer unnecessarily hamstrung for no apparent reason!

edit:

quote:

- Negative prestige no longer breaks Personal Unions.
Wiz giveth and Wiz taketh away... :(

Overall patch notes look really good though.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/patch-1-15-full-patchnotes.904204/

Sheep fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 26, 2016

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sheep posted:

quote:

- Negative prestige no longer breaks Personal Unions.
How do we break Poland-Lithuania now?!?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Larry Parrish posted:

Well whatever. Just for the love of god if it ever gets replaced in EU4 don't replace it with something more complicated. The game has enough complicated poo poo as it is.

Have you tried the game Super Mario Brothers? I have a feeling it's what you're looking for.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

quote:

Smart rebels now attempt to actively defend their territory under favorable circumstances.

Neat. No more DDRJake-ian rebel export tactics, I spose?

quote:

AI: Will now refuse becoming a Free City if Militarist.

Je Maintiendrai buff!

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 26, 2016

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Sheep posted:

edit:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/patch-1-15-full-patchnotes.904204/

Lots of good QoL-fixes, e..g.:
- You will no longer need more than 10 seats in parliament regardless of the size of your country, so that constitutional monarchies are actually viable for large countries.
- You now get -3 stab from DOWing a Free City as the Holy Roman Emperor.
- Centers of reformation will no longer appear in unsuitable terrain or right next to an existing center.
- Number of potential rivals is no longer limited to 8, but rather you'll be able to pick any suitable nation as a rival.
- You now only lose a little trust with the caller for dishonoring a non-ally call (such as a guarantee or defender of the faith), and no trust with anyone else.
- AI is now a lot more sensible in what provinces it chooses to claim as vital interest.
- Trust now has a significantly bigger effect on making the AI not desire your provinces.
- AI now less fond of peaces that result in enemy territory being split up into multiple parts (anti ugly map measure).

Seems like a really nice patch.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Star posted:

Lots of good QoL-fixes, e..g.:
- Centers of reformation will no longer appear in unsuitable terrain or right next to an existing center.

My last game the three protestant centres formed in Lubek, Hamburg, and a province that connects them, haha...so that's nice, though it almost makes sense.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

quadrophrenic posted:

Someone refresh my memory, who does this gently caress over

Mostly starts where the optimal move was to immediately vassalize a country roughly the same size as you in a no-allies war, like Ethiopia vs Adal and Genoa vs Granada.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

quadrophrenic posted:

Neat. No more DDRJake-ian rebel export tactics, I spose?

I dunno for sure but I expect Smart Rebels means certain types of rebels (the types that don't stackwipe, like nobles and tribes) rather than that all rebels will be smarter like that. So certain kinds of rebels will now be more aggressive about defending their territory.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Tsyni posted:

Have you tried the game Super Mario Brothers? I have a feeling it's what you're looking for.

Don't be an rear end.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

PleasingFungus posted:

Don't be an rear end.

I wasn't being serious, but I do think not getting rid of a flawed mechanic because the solution might be complicated isn't a good reason.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
My worry about something like that is that the game already runs like rear end, especially as you go on. Any new and incredibly complex system like that is just gonna make it worse.

I kinda wish they'd just spend the next 6 months or whatever doing nothing but optimizing and integrating old features more, maybe just doing a little res publica-esque DLC to break it up if they get too bored. There are all sorts of huge things the game could do with, but when it's sort of hard to even play the game past a certain date, I don't think they're so pressing.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Koramei posted:

My worry about something like that is that the game already runs like rear end, especially as you go on. Any new and incredibly complex system like that is just gonna make it worse.

I kinda wish they'd just spend the next 6 months or whatever doing nothing but optimizing and integrating old features more, maybe just doing a little res publica-esque DLC to break it up if they get too bored. There are all sorts of huge things the game could do with, but when it's sort of hard to even play the game past a certain date, I don't think they're so pressing.

Our performance tests (on a bunch of different hardware) shows same speeds or better than pre-AOW and we optimize almost every patch, what exactly are you running the game on?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I have an i7 3770 (I know it's fairly old but it's still an i7 right? :(). It's alright for the first couple of hundred years, but after the mid 17th century things start chugging like crazy whenever there's a month transition, to the point that I've scarcely even seen the late-game content 'cause I just get fed up and stop playing. I didn't think I was unique in this either, I've seen a lot of other people talking about it?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Koramei posted:

I have an i7 3770 (I know it's fairly old but it's still an i7 right? :(). It's alright for the first couple of hundred years, but after the mid 17th century things start chugging like crazy whenever there's a month transition, to the point that I've scarcely even seen the late-game content 'cause I just get fed up and stop playing. I didn't think I was unique in this either, I've seen a lot of other people talking about it?

Strange, performance usually improves lategame due to fewer countries. Playing any mods?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
I get some slowdowns after 1700 and again after 1800 but more in the ballpark of 10-20%. I'm running an old-as-poo poo core 2 quad.

e: usually these are slowdowns during wars and these are usually noticeable due to a framerate drop during pathing calculations.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
It does get pretty slow later on.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Wiz posted:

Strange, performance usually improves lategame due to fewer countries. Playing any mods?

Just graphical mods. I do tend to whiz all about the map since I usually play trade empires, maybe that exacerbates it? When I'm playing in a more localized area I don't notice performance so much.

is there any advice for hardware that works well? Will an SSD help a lot or is it really just the processor that's important?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I always thought it was just more of the map being revealed caused the slowdown. The Civ effect. I dunno nothing bout optimizin no video games, though

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

Theocracies (with the exception of monastic orders) can no longer convert their rulers to generals.

War-Pope is dead? I am sad. :(

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Koramei posted:

Just graphical mods. I do tend to whiz all about the map since I usually play trade empires, maybe that exacerbates it? When I'm playing in a more localized area I don't notice performance so much.

is there any advice for hardware that works well? Will an SSD help a lot or is it really just the processor that's important?

Try disabling the mods, I doubt it'll matter but worth trying. Then post in bug reports (or here) with a save where you have slowdown, and if disabling mods helped, which mods it was. We can compare monthly tick to start of game and try to find cause (likely memory access, tends to be the case when you have wildly illogical performance differences between comparable hardware).

SSD will only really help with save/load & startup times.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 26, 2016

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Sheep posted:

edit:

quote:

- Added convert_female_ruler_to_general
- Added convert_female_heir_to_general

send this patch back in time 2014 so i can retroactively have used it for byzLP tia

quote:

- Added custom ideas for female advisor chance and ability to have female rulers as generals.

This is cool, too.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I am on an i5-6600k and it's almost always perfect, however, I did have some hanging where France had every colonial nation under their control and I was at war with them with a giant empire myself. I assumed it was just because there were 300 armies moving around at once in the world, but who knows.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
There are some confounding factors though. Consider that later in the game you're more likely to have played the game for an extended stretch. After all, if the game is 1445, you can, at most, have played it for one year, one month, and nineteen days.

Any large, realtime application written in C/C++ is going to have some memory leaks, even with tricks like pre-allocation that a lot of developers use now. It's possible that these are anecdotes about people noticing a gradual slowdown due to a memory leak during long play sessions and that it would go away if you restarted every few hours.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
So i haven't played in a while and I have started to use two monitors, so today I bought Cossacks but I can't start the game up because the graphics can't be created. It says that I should set adapter=1 in the settings.txt but there's no adapter line in the file, should I just write it myself and if so where in the settings file? I also understand that there's quite a lot of legacy so code but the fact that I have to start loving around with the text files in 2016 to run the game with two monitors is loving ridiculous.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
*In Steve Urkel voice* the fact that I have to start loving around with the text files in 2016 to run the game with two monitors is loving ridiculous.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Re: Overseas Penalty and how continents come into play there are some times where it just doesn't make a lot of sense. I think a pretty good, simple solution would be that if you can make a claim on a province (either by directly bordering it or by being in the same sea lane) it wouldn't count as overseas. That still has a problem in Oceania but it solves most other cases while still not allowing for Old World nations to avoid overseas penalties in the New World or Europe in Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia without a land route. East Asian nations probably shouldn't have to worry about colonial Australia when it's not much different for them than owning or being Malaya.

e: The Oceania issue could also be solved by adjusting the borders of some sea lanes but I understand it's a lot easier to say that then do it.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 26, 2016

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

quote:

- You will no longer need more than 10 seats in parliament regardless of the size of your country, so that constitutional monarchies are actually viable for large countries.
That is a very nice fix to make constitutional monarchies not suck. If you're unlucky you'll still have to spend 200-300 mp on a debate but some of them will be worth it.

quote:

- Having a foreign ruler in an Elective Monarchy now has a small chance to result in another country of the same dynasty getting a Claim Throne casus belli on them.
So it will be possible to get a PU over Poland/Commonwealth sounds pretty cool and makes support heir a lot stronger.

quote:

- When converting to a new religion, all modifiers in the country marked as religion=yes will now be cleared.
No more switching for decisions I guess. It was too good I guess.

quote:

- It is now possible to Enforce Religion on a subject of a different religion group, but with a much bigger impact on liberty desire.
If just this was already in, would have made the one faith achievement so much easier, convert Najd and have them convert everything for you.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tahirovic posted:

quote:

- When converting to a new religion, all modifiers in the country marked as religion=yes will now be cleared.
No more switching for decisions I guess. It was too good I guess.
This makes me happy because I hated needing to think about all of that stuff and how I could game the system harder rather than just enjoying myself.

Tahirovic posted:

quote:

- It is now possible to Enforce Religion on a subject of a different religion group, but with a much bigger impact on liberty desire.
If just this was already in, would have made the one faith achievement so much easier, convert Najd and have them convert everything for you.
I believe the crazy Najd convert bonus got brought down to earth recently. But I guess that is what you are saying.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Has anyone noticed weird AE bugs on the AI? I just saw all of Germany and Italy crush burgundy in a coalition after he annexed no one. I've seen it happen to Austria too.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Bort Bortles posted:

I believe the crazy Najd convert bonus got brought down to earth recently. But I guess that is what you are saying.

Not really, but the changes to missionary strength calculations (ie. based off of development now) meant that +5% was obscene. The +2% they have now is essentially the same as before.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MrBling posted:

Not really, but the changes to missionary strength calculations (ie. based off of development now) meant that +5% was obscene. The +2% they have now is essentially the same as before.
That is a good point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
Quite a few minor changes that will affect how I play. Looks like a good patch though. Hopefully this will stop the crash to desktop and empty save I've encountered twice in the last day on two different computers (but not before).

Patch Notes posted:

- Gold mines can now deplete at any level of production above 1, but the chance is much smaller at low levels of production.
- The AI will no longer ally a country that's in a war and could call it into said war under any circumstances.
- Missions to colonize provinces will now also require the colony to have a population above 400.
- Peace: Force change government/religion peace options no longer selectable if annexing country.
- You no longer have to be connected to Steam to be able to start an Ironman game.
- Fleets on exploration missions will now gain "Time at Sea" attrition again.
- You can no longer demand territory in an independence war you started unless you also demand independence.
- Guarantees now expire when the guaranteed becomes too powerful.
- Fixed exploit due to being able to send several Peace Offers on the same day. You must now wait a day between sending offers.
- AI now 'cheats' on maintenance for border and capital forts (there is a define to disable this) and won't mothball these.

Some "pro strats" killed dead with this one.

• Locked thread