Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Real Paddy
Aug 21, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo, Trump either stumped himself or is pivoting earlier than expected. Asked which democrats he could get along with, he listed Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid. He also told Mika that he always watches the show, "only because of you, Mika" and she had to collect herself mid-schoolgirl giggle. Not judging, but he knows how to work the media and consistently delivers personal compliments to men and women who are neutral to positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

The Real Paddy posted:

Trump: "At least some people like Obama."
:pusheen:

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
https://twitter.com/Slate/status/691959693112123393

Note: Not a single vote has been cast.

EDIT:

Trump says he has a BIG and POWERFUL endorsement coming today:

https://twitter.com/Morning_Joe/status/691962211418271745

Montasque fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 26, 2016

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Cruz tries comedy

quote:

Monday on the campaign trail, Republican presidential candidate Senator Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX)97%
joked about his rival Donald Trump’s flub of a Bible verse referring to the book Second Corinthians as “two Corinthians” during his speech last week at Liberty University.

Cruz was interrupted when he said “You know, we are standing on the promises of Second Chronicles 7:14,” when an audience member said he meant “two Chronicles.”

Cruz quickly joked “Well, you know, two Corinthians walk into a bar…”

As the laughter continued, Cruz added, “Ah yes, Ricardo Montalban, genuine Corinthian leather. You have to be of a certain era to remember that commercial.”

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Montasque posted:

Little girl finds out she's going to meet DONALD TRUMP:

To be fair, anyone would be that excited to hear they get to leave Maine.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

To be fair, anyone would be that excited to hear they get to leave Maine.

Well, yeah. D-Money and Smoothie won't find her that way.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

zeal posted:

it was built into the basement of some country club yeah. they give tours now

Greenbriar, so now you know what place to raid in the nuclear fallout hellscape

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
New ABC/WaPo national poll:
http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/page/politics/washington-post-abc-news-poll-jan-21-24-2016-election-and-politics/1941/

Trump 36
Cruz 20
Rubio 10
Carson 8
Jeb 6
Christie 3
Fiorina 3
Huckabee 2
Kasich 2
Paul 1

65% of Republicans say Trump is acceptable as nominee, 64% say he’s most likely to win.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

The Real Paddy posted:

Trump on Morning Joe:

Trump: "He stands alone by himself in Senate, he doesn't have one endorsement. It's pretty sad. You know, there is something to be said for being able to get along with other people a little in order to get things done. That's what we have now with Obama, so he just signs executive orders all over the place."

Mika: Are you drawing parallels between Ted Cruz and Barack Obama?

Kiss of death :drat:

Thursday night's gonna be bananas.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This is old, but when Christie was asked by a wavering young woman in NH about her family being back in NJ and the flooding out there (which has resulted in hundreds evacuated in Cape May County), Christie tore into her asking, "what should i do, pick up a mop?"

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

The Real Paddy posted:

Trump on Morning Joe:

Trump: "He stands alone by himself in Senate, he doesn't have one endorsement. It's pretty sad. You know, there is something to be said for being able to get along with other people a little in order to get things done. That's what we have now with Obama, so he just signs executive orders all over the place."

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

You would think that at some point in the last two weeks, there would have been one person who publicly admitted they thought Ted Cruz was... well, maybe not necessarily okay, but that they didn't think he was complete pond scum.

I think it's probably better that Cruz win a major party's nomination then an openly racist demagogue, but half of that feeling is just because he'd be a bigger disaster in the general and because the chances for a brokered convention decrease dramatically if Cruz loses Iowa.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What was the polling showing this time last year with santorum? Basically I'm wondering if anyone not named Cruz or Trump can realistically win Iowa

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Alter Ego posted:

Well, yeah. D-Money and Smoothie won't find her that way.

Lol I forgot about that whole fiasco. I wish I had a cool street name like D-Money to get young white girls to let me impregnate them :(

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

What was the polling showing this time last year with santorum? Basically I'm wondering if anyone not named Cruz or Trump can realistically win Iowa

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/compare/iowa_republican_presidential_caucus_2016_2012_2008.html

Note that Santorum's line is almost vertical.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mastershakeman posted:

We're currently six days before the caucuses. The poll that generated the Santorum surge came out six days before the caucuses (12/28/11), before which he was in the single digits tied with the rest of the pack. That poll not only showed Santorum gaining, but Gingrich losing. The analogue would be a poll released tomorrow showing Rubio tanking and a Jeb! surge, I guess.

But the Santorum surprise was different because it was a sign that the logjam of evangelical support had cleared and settled on a candidate. The three leading candidates (Romney, Paul, and Gingrich) were not loved by evangelicals for obvious reasons, but their candidates (Perry, Bachmann, Santorum) were all tied up in the high single digits, splitting the evangelical vote. This time there's no danger of that happening because Cruz wrapped up their support a month ago. I don't think a single poll can reverse that within a week, it would take a couple of weeks of sustained collapse and all of Cruz's endorsers like VanderPlaats and Co. to switch allegiance.

But who knows?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The Real Paddy posted:

Trump on Morning Joe:

trump is a monster but at least he is taking several other monsters to hell with him. he is right at least about cruz. the sad gently caress doesnt have any friends, much like jeb. but at least jeb "trys", cruz activley pissed on everyone for 5 or so years and no wants their money and endorsements.

also apperently tom delay says the fbi is ready to indite hillary or some poo poo, but i cant find any sites on the source that arnt conservative blogs.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Funny story about Ted Cruz trying to get W's support in 2012:

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also apperently tom delay says the fbi is ready to indite hillary or some poo poo, but i cant find any sites on the source that arnt conservative blogs.
The accusation is more explicitly that the FBI agents who pal around with Tom Delay would like to see Hillary indicted but do not actually have the power to do so.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Joementum posted:

the Santorum surge
Let's not forget the best visualization of the 2012 polls:

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

That's probably just Delay setting up the pins with the intent to knock them down later, no matter what the FBI eventually recommends.

Also, if the DOJ indicts Hillary, I think Joe Biden's inbox is going to be completely slammed with people telling him he should have gotten over his dead son and not been such a baby. Which is pretty mean and heartless - but alternatively, TRUMP 2016.

e: ^the 2012 Santorum Surge butt plug. The only perfect answer to, "what gift do you give a man who has everything?"

Bethamphetamine fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 26, 2016

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
No more Patakattacks. Gov. Pataki just endorsed Marco Rubio.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
This time 4 years ago, Gingrich had a 2 point RCP national lead.

8 years ago, Giuliani had a 4 point RCP lead.

Both were already in decline.

Donald J. Trump today has a SEVENTEEN point RCP lead with no sign of decline.

ANY DAY NOW....

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

A. Clinton may, in fact, be in deep poo poo. The SAP revelation is pretty damning and the Gross Negligence case builds itself.

B. If the FBI were going to move Tom DeLay, of all people, wouldn't have any information you or I don't. He's just a washed-up has-been who narrowly avoided felony conviction on a technicality.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 26, 2016

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

oystertoadfish posted:

i feel like i read there was some bunker in virginia or west virginia where the vip's would've gone, ready to live for however long and emerge to rule the postapocalyptic world. they apparently had a huge stash of precious metals with which to restart the global economy

all anybody really needs to do is watch dr strangelove though

it's pretty hilarious how despite there still being plenty enough nuclear weapons to pose an existential threat, we've pivoted our existential fears/bedwetting to the more politically convenient but logically nonsensical target of terrorism. relative scale is completely ignored and the most exaggerated words/fears available are nakedly turned to political advantage. its funny

Incidentally, I put the myopic obsession of the anti-abortion crowd in a similar category to terrorism in this context. All other human concerns taking a backseat to what, in starkly politico jargon, would be suitably called "weaponized babykissing."

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

I believe him. Just look at that trustworthy smile.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Huffpo Poll tracker of ONLY non-partisan likely voter polls shows an identical 17 point lead to RCP.

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com...ich,Rubio,Trump

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Trump's on his way to finally destroying political correctness and giving Republicans what they truly want: To say the n word without recourse or accountability. Make America Racist Again.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

trump is a monster but at least he is taking several other monsters to hell with him. he is right at least about cruz. the sad gently caress doesnt have any friends, much like jeb. but at least jeb "trys", cruz activley pissed on everyone for 5 or so years and no wants their money and endorsements.

Trump is much less of a monster than many of the people he's running against.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I believe him. Just look at that trustworthy smile.

ohhh memories

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Patter Song posted:

A. Clinton may, in fact, be in deep poo poo.

Whether or not she's in deep poo poo depends SOLELY on the director of the FBI and the attorney general.

There is NO intent element to the crime and there is already more than enough information out in the public with which to convict her, nevermind anything the public doesn't know yet. We know FOR A FACT she violated the law. Whether she meant to, whether or not materials were clearly marked as classified when she sent or received them, whether or not she even knew at the time that this poo poo was on the PRIVATE E-MAIL SERVER she had set up to circumvent the government's system, is relevant ONLY to public opinion and totally IRRELEVANT in terms of the law.

The only question is whether or not she will, as a major candidate for President and the obvious heir to leadership of the party post-Obama, receive special treatment & a pass.

And she only needs it from ONE of the 2 aforementioned people. FBI doesn't refer = she gets away with it. FBI refers BUT AG declines to prosecute = she gets away with it.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
What I'm trying to say is that Hillary Clinton is fine. LOL at anyone dumb enough to believe her royal highness is in any danger whatsoever.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Ted Cruz's father is an insane dominionist and Christian Reconstructionist. His father legit believes that public education is a sinister communist plot. Ted Cruz's father has been ghosting his son's campaign with speaking events intended to bolster Cruz's evangelical credentials.

Yet, Ted Cruz is so nasty and vile that he's failing to hold the evangelical vote in Iowa against Donald J. Trump.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Boosted_C5 posted:

What I'm trying to say is that Hillary Clinton is fine. LOL at anyone dumb enough to believe her royal highness is in any danger whatsoever.

Comey has an allegedly incorruptible reputation when it comes to not giving a poo poo about politics (if he says there is nothing, even the GOP will have to accept it), and if obama tells the AG not to prosecute after the FBI recommends indictment it would be a shitstorm that would hurt the dems' prospects for november. it's really all in Comey's hands

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

He would know.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Boosted_C5 posted:

unskew your thoughts

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Do It Once Right posted:

Ted Cruz's father is an insane dominionist and Christian Reconstructionist. His father legit believes that public education is a sinister communist plot. Ted Cruz's father has been ghosting his son's campaign with speaking events intended to bolster Cruz's evangelical credentials.

Yet, Ted Cruz is so nasty and vile that he's failing to hold the evangelical vote in Iowa against Donald J. Trump.

I think this is probably the biggest development of 2015. You don't have to be religious to win the white evangelical vote anymore. You just have to be hateful as all hell.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

CortezFantastic posted:

unskew your thoughts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uObnEYcKj8I

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

baw posted:

if obama tells the AG not to prosecute after the FBI recommends indictment it would be a shitstorm that would hurt the dems' prospects for november.

This. It'd actually be worse than indicting her, which would almost certainly have her withdraw from the Democratic primary and the Democrats putting in a new candidate who isn't in blatant violation of the Espionage Act. If the indictment comes down in April-June after Clinton already has a delegate lock her delegates would even be able to pick a nominee with no risk of Bernie sneaking in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Surely this is the moment when the public will care about a Clinton being prosecuted for a technical crime that requires a ton of explanation and it won't backfire on idiot republicans at all

• Locked thread